Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

C4 Open Discussion General and technical C4 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2011, 9:34pm   #1
popo8
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $95530
Default Verizon

Does anyone here work for Verizon?

Looking for some help understanding some bill specific shyt....
popo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:05pm   #2
pappytinker
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 1.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3478

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
Does anyone here work for Verizon?

Looking for some help understanding some bill specific shyt....
Is there a problem with directing your billing question to the Verizon Customer Service? I have heard that their customer service is pretty good.

I used to work for AT&T (before they took their plunge and were bought out by Southwestern Bell) so if you have a specific question, shoot me a PM and I will answer it if I can. If I can't I will tell you I can't.
pappytinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:11pm   #3
popo8
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappytinker View Post
Is there a problem with directing your billing question to the Verizon Customer Service? I have heard that their customer service is pretty good.

I used to work for AT&T (before they took their plunge and were bought out by Southwestern Bell) so if you have a specific question, shoot me a PM and I will answer it if I can. If I can't I will tell you I can't.
The customer service people (3 of them) are no help at all, and although not rude, they seem to be reading from the same index card.....

So YES, there is a problem with directing my question to their customer service. It SUCKS.

THank You for the help, I think the question is Verizon Specific though. But I do appreciate it.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:38am   #4
pappytinker
Vette Barn Crew

In 1984 (a dubious date), AT&T was broken up into 8 different companies. Two of those companies, NYNEX (New York Tel & New England Tel) and Bell Atlantic merged into Bell Atlantic. In 1998 they changed the name to Verizon and acquired GTE. In 2005, Verizon acquired MCI which had previously acquired WorldCom. Verizon also acquired Vodaphone Airtouch and PrimeCo. They all now operate under the Verizon umbrella. The point is that AT&T is at the root.
Old 12-09-2011, 9:40pm   #5
popo8
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
In 1984 (a dubious date), AT&T was broken up into 8 different companies. Two of those companies, NYNEX (New York Tel & New England Tel) and Bell Atlantic merged into Bell Atlantic. In 1998 they changed the name to Verizon and acquired GTE. In 2005, Verizon acquired MCI which had previously acquired WorldCom. Verizon also acquired Vodaphone Airtouch and PrimeCo. They all now operate under the Verizon umbrella. The point is that AT&T is at the root.
Thank You.... Ill just copy this off of my G/Fs facebook page instead of re exlaining it. Im trying to wrap my head around, how we can get charged 1300 in roaming charges, while on a cruise ship, when the phone was not working from the moment we were an hour out to sea.....

"..so i took my phone on the cruise last month....and for those of you that have smart phones and leave the country TURN THE SHIT OFF, they charged me $1400 for having the phone on, and they can not tell me the details of the charges to PROTECT MY PRIVACY, WTF is that! So because smart phones continuously try to connect to something while they are on, they say these are valid charges but can give me any details on the usage except for it was not covered in my data plan.....REALLY!!!!!!!! I have talked to 3 different people who all keep apologizing and talking me in circles but giving me no answers!!!!!! I am so frustrated and upset! Its not even like I was using the phone (hell if I was, I couldn't complain, but it had NO service), its because a laser beam somehow was bouncing off some tower in cyberspace!!!!!!!!! I do not even know what else to do!"

I would not agree with the price if she at least was able to use the phone, or did use the phone, but at that point what could I say. However the phone was completely UNUSEABLE. Yet under the ROAMING section of her bill it lists 1400 in roaming charges. On verizons site, ROAMING, is explained as "calls or texts, recieved or sent, while outside of the network/area" (SOMETHING LIKE THAT.) However when you click on SEE DETAILS... it states, "There are no roaming charges for this billing period." Well which one is it? Is it 1400 in roaming (keep in mind the phone was not used) or was it "No roaming charges."

I have Sprint... nearly equivalent phones. I tried to connect to the ship to use my phone, and it required a password, which I would have to pay for by the minute......
Old 12-09-2011, 10:58pm   #6
pappytinker
Vette Barn Crew

The charges probably did not originate from your carrier (Verizon). They are probably from the carrier or several carriers that provide service to the area the boat travels in or on the boat and Verizon is just passing them on to you. Verizon has agreements with these scheister foreign carriers to pass the charges on to you in the bill that they (Verizon) sends to you. Sit yourself down and WRITE a letter DISPUTING the charges because anything said over the phone is not documented. Tell your carrier, Verizon, that you did not make any calls, transmit or receive any data and that you were unable to make any connections (if that is true). THEN TELL THEM YOU REFUSE TO PAY THE CHARGES BECAUSE EVEN IF YOU HAD ACCESS, YOU WERE UNABLE TO MAKE OR RECEIVE ANY SERVICE. If you were able to access the internet or email with your phone, you are probably screwed.

You may lose the argument and end up having to pay the bill anyway because whenever a cell phone is on it transmits a code that identifies it. That code is cross referenced to your cell phone number and your cell phone number identifies the service provider for your phone (Verizon). Then Verizon checks its database and, bingo, identifies you as the owner/user of the phone. Your effort may get them to agree to reduce the charges if you are lucky. Unfortunately, agencies in your state and in the Federal Government have no jurisdiction outside the territorial waters of the US.

When you get the letter written, in addition to the letter you send to Verizon (make sure you include your cell phone number) send copies of the letter to the Federal Trade Commission, the Public Utilities Commission in your state, the Attorney General of your State, the cruise line and anyone else you can think of. And, make sure you show "CC: to... " at the bottom of your letter so Verizon knows who else received copies. (All the CCs are for Verizon's benefit but make sure you send the copies out.)

If you are to have any success at all in getting the charges reduced or dropped, you will have to fight for it to happen. The question you must ask yourself is how much fight is $1400 worth.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:04pm   #7
popo8
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
The charges probably did not originate from your carrier (Verizon). They are probably from the carrier or several carriers that provide service to the area the boat travels in or on the boat and Verizon is just passing them on to you. Verizon has agreements with these scheister foreign carriers to pass the charges on to you in the bill that they (Verizon) sends to you. Sit yourself down and WRITE a letter DISPUTING the charges because anything said over the phone is not documented. Tell your carrier, Verizon, that you did not make any calls, transmit or receive any data and that you were unable to make any connections (if that is true). THEN TELL THEM YOU REFUSE TO PAY THE CHARGES BECAUSE EVEN IF YOU HAD ACCESS, YOU WERE UNABLE TO MAKE OR RECEIVE ANY SERVICE. If you were able to access the internet or email with your phone, you are probably screwed.

You may lose the argument and end up having to pay the bill anyway because whenever a cell phone is on it transmits a code that identifies it. That code is cross referenced to your cell phone number and your cell phone number identifies the service provider for your phone (Verizon). Then Verizon checks its database and, bingo, identifies you as the owner/user of the phone. Your effort may get them to agree to reduce the charges if you are lucky. Unfortunately, agencies in your state and in the Federal Government have no jurisdiction outside the territorial waters of the US.

When you get the letter written, in addition to the letter you send to Verizon (make sure you include your cell phone number) send copies of the letter to the Federal Trade Commission, the Public Utilities Commission in your state, the Attorney General of your State, the cruise line and anyone else you can think of. And, make sure you show "CC: to... " at the bottom of your letter so Verizon knows who else received copies.

If you are to have any success at all in getting the charges reduced or dropped, you will have to fight for it to happen. The question you must ask yourself is how much fight is $1400 worth.
Thank You for that.... My close friend is an attorney, and I had dropped off the items I described earlier to him. I believe he will be handling the letter for us, so I will also forward him the other individuals you suggested CC'n.

As for the phone constantly updating... why didnt my phone have any issues like hers.... My bill is still the same as always..... And My phone even knew when we hit time zone changes. And NEITHER phone was used at all, we couldnt....

In fact when we returned home, she checked her email.... VZ sent her an email for every 50 bucks accrued, however... she had no way of getting them.

One last thing.... the 1400 was charged within the first 3 days of our 12 day cruise. once VZ hit 1K, they suspended service.... WHICH SHE WASNT GETTING ANYWAYS....

I do appreciate all of your help.... Thank You bro.

The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion