Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2011, 11:45pm   #1
LilRedCorvette
A Real Barner
Activity: 6.5%

Thanked 3,565 Times in 1,393 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3016342
Unhappy Found out tonight that a friend died...

...and leaves behind 2 Boxer doggies.

I had sent an email to him a coupla weeks ago since I didn't hear from him. His female Boxer had a bit of a limp and I asked if he had gotten any answers from the vet. I didn't receive a response, which is unlike him.

I got an email reply today to that email I sent, from his brother-in-law letting me know that he died. He asked that I call him (will do so tomorrow as it's late here). He is trying to find a home for the dogs, preferably together.

I love these dogs more than some people I know. I always tried to sneak into the dog park unnoticed but that never happened. The 3 yr old male (Cosmo) would see me and do laps around the park, then come over for hugs. The 2 year old female (Clara Belle) would jump up and down and practically knock me over with kisses. I always brought them gourmet dog treats to enjoy after their play date at the park. Will post pics of these cute pups in a bit...

I'm not really sure I'm at a point in my life to have a dog, let alone two, but I can't bear to let these dogs be split up or be with someone they don't know. Growing up, we always had dogs, so I am fully aware of the time and costs involved. I guess I need to sleep on this. Forgive me for typing out loud, but I'm in tears here and just needed to ramble I guess.
LilRedCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:55pm   #2
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 33,024 Times in 14,164 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Our former neighbors in Gaithersburg MD have Boxers. Fun little doggies.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 12:07am   #3
Petew1971
Barn Stall Owner #420
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12530349

Go get the Dogs and give them a home...they are counting on you
Petew1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petew1971 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 12:32am   #4
oyealiz
Barn Stall Owner #1313
Barn Raising I,II,III
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,029 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1112489

Sorry about your friend.

As for the dogs...if you honestly cannot get them to keep, perhaps you can contact the Boxer Rescue in your area and foster the dogs while they help find them a home. Just an idea. Then you can see if you're actually able to keep them yourself. Many rescue groups will put "courtesy listings" on their websites of their breed dogs that are not under the rescue's care but are available. If you simply cannot have them at your place, perhaps the group would have a foster home open immediately for them. [There are numerous different arrangements, you'd have to check with that particular rescue group.]

I personally hope you're able to keep them, since you obviously love them.

You're being a sweetheart offering to help the dogs, no matter. But Abby would expect no less from someone who held and petted her for three hours straight.
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oyealiz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 5:59am   #5
wwomanC6
Charter Member
C6 Modulator
Barn Stall Owner #27

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 51.5%

Thanked 7,063 Times in 4,385 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $100108568

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyealiz View Post
Sorry about your friend.

As for the dogs...if you honestly cannot get them to keep, perhaps you can contact the Boxer Rescue in your area and foster the dogs while they help find them a home. Just an idea. Then you can see if you're actually able to keep them yourself. Many rescue groups will put "courtesy listings" on their websites of their breed dogs that are not under the rescue's care but are available. If you simply cannot have them at your place, perhaps the group would have a foster home open immediately for them. [There are numerous different arrangements, you'd have to check with that particular rescue group.]

I personally hope you're able to keep them, since you obviously love them.

You're being a sweetheart offering to help the dogs, no matter. But Abby would expect no less from someone who held and petted her for three hours straight.
with Liz, if you can afford to have them for awhile tell a suitable home can be found. It would benefit the doggies to be with someone they know and allow them to transition a little easier from the lost of their owner.

Laurie, I hope things are going better for ya since the squirrel attack on your attic. Your a great and wonderful lady, wishing ya the best!

Wendy
wwomanC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wwomanC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 6:51am   #6
Barn Babe
Charter Member
Barn Raising I
Activity: 0%

Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,611 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10432620

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Barn Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barn Babe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 7:34am   #7
MEC5LADY
Barn Stall Owner #32
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 1,822 Times in 963 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2204779

Sorry to hear about your friend. As for the doggies, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
MEC5LADY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MEC5LADY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 9:55am   #8
LilRedCorvette
A Real Barner

Default Thank you all

Thank you all for responding with such kind thoughts and words. I'm still crying my eyes out but it really does mean a lot.

I had called Mom last night with the news about what happened. For those who don't know, growing up my family has had 5 Boxers (#5 died this past December), so you can say that we have a soft spot for the breed.

Well, neither Mom nor I could sleep a wink. The more we think about it, the more we feel that there was a reason my friend's BIL found and contacted me. Think taking them in might be meant to be, and what Mike would have wanted.

I talked to the BIL on the phone at length and he agrees that the situation here would be good for them. Will probably hear more later, just wanted to give an update.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LilRedCorvette For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 1:45pm   #9
oyealiz
Barn Stall Owner #1313
Barn Raising I,II,III
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,029 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1112489

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette View Post
Thank you all for responding with such kind thoughts and words. I'm still crying my eyes out but it really does mean a lot.

I had called Mom last night with the news about what happened. For those who don't know, growing up my family has had 5 Boxers (#5 died this past December), so you can say that we have a soft spot for the breed.

Well, neither Mom nor I could sleep a wink. The more we think about it, the more we feel that there was a reason my friend's BIL found and contacted me. Think taking them in might be meant to be, and what Mike would have wanted.

I talked to the BIL on the phone at length and he agrees that the situation here would be good for them. Will probably hear more later, just wanted to give an update.
Would you be able to keep them at your place, or would your mom keep them? Regardless, it would be wonderful if yall could give them both a home!
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 7:16pm   #10
LilRedCorvette
A Real Barner

Smile update

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyealiz View Post
Would you be able to keep them at your place, or would your mom keep them? Regardless, it would be wonderful if yall could give them both a home!
After much discussion, my parents decided to take the doggies. Their house and yard is way bigger than mine, and they were wanting to get another Boxer anyway. They never thought of getting two but they are in love with these doggies, and vice versa.

I spent the holiday weekend transporting them and assisting with the transition, as the doggies know me very well. The transition has gone far better than all of us expected. They adjusted to the house almost immediately, have been eating/drinking just fine, going to the bathroom outside, and sleep through the night. My friend did a fine job of raising these dogs and it shows. I feel as though he can rest in peace now.

The oddest thing happened on the drive up. My friend had a newer Super Bee (we initially met at a local car cruise-in). In PA on Route 81 in the left lane while passing a semi, I see something in my rear view mirror - I think it's the Super Bee logo on the hood of the car. It was coming up on me fast, so I finished my pass and moved over. The car passes me and sure enough, I see the Super Bee stripe and logo on the side of the car.

So, being the wimp that I am, I started to cry. At that moment, one of the dogs came into the front seat from the back seat and gave me kisses. I think it was my friend letting me know that this was the right decision.

This has been such an emotional up-and-down week for me. I feel like I need a walk on the beach or something peaceful (but work is piled up, it will have to wait until I can clear my desk).
The Following User Says Thank You to LilRedCorvette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 7:39pm   #11
MEC5LADY
Barn Stall Owner #32
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 1,822 Times in 963 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2204779

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette View Post
I feel like I need a walk on the beach or something peaceful (but work is piled up, it will have to wait until I can clear my desk).
All you have to do is say the word and we are out of here and dipping our toes in the sand. Since that isn't possible soon, let's grab some lunch or dinner.
MEC5LADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 8:03pm   #12
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 9.0%

Thanked 21,887 Times in 8,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5976008

Sorry about your friend Good to hear your parents took the dogs That way you get to see them

Don't forget to make time for yourself, you need to recharge too.

Jeff
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 8:55pm   #13
78SA
A Real Barner

Thanked 3,201 Times in 2,015 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3632152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Babe View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss.
78SA is offline   Reply With Quote