Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2024, 2:59pm   #321
theandies
A Real Barner
Activity: 12.9%

Thanked 1,338 Times in 553 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
[VBOT]Ignore lists are for pussies.[/VBOT]

Announcing the fact that someone is on your ignore list is the online equivalent of this:

How about this:
**** OFF
That satisfy you? I put people on ignore when the constantly lie, change their story etc. This guy is famous for doing that.
theandies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 5:46pm   #322
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 71.0%

Thanked 19,042 Times in 8,459 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Source: Trust me bro

Alt Source: Elon said so.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 5:48pm   #323
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 71.0%

Thanked 19,042 Times in 8,459 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Originally Posted by theandies View Post
How about this:
**** OFF
That satisfy you? I put people on ignore when the constantly lie, change their story etc. This guy is famous for doing that.
OK, but why announce it? Do you think you're gonna hurt his widdle feelings by letting him know you're ignoring him?

Guess I'll be next on your ignore announcement list.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 5:50pm   #324
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.1%

Thanked 24,903 Times in 11,305 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

If you tell someone that you are ignoring him then you really are not ignoring him. Right?
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 7:10pm   #325
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Got a link to studies that support that conclusion?
Personal experience. I owned a vehicle with LKA and it would not handle sharp curves well.
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 7:13pm   #326
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw38 View Post
Blah, blah, blah.

Oh so true.

Here's what Texas has done about distracted driving. And if GSC3 doesn't think he was distracted, he's 100% incorrect.

https://data.texas.gov/stories/s/Tex...ty-/ndn8-c2cs/

Other common distractions include talking on the phone, grooming, reading, eating, adjusting the radio, or navigation while driving — anything that takes the driver’s attention away from driving.

How about you post up the number of Autopilot vehicles vs the number of vehicles that actually require the driver to drive them? It's an infinitesimal number, so your comparison isn't a valid one. Distracted driving most certainly is a problem. Hence why I believe that self-driving vehicles are dangerous. Their "drivers"...you included...are lulled into a false sense of security and they...including you...do really stupid, distracted shit like reading and posting on car forums when you're supposed to be PAYING ****ING ATTENTION TO THE ROAD
I posted the stats of Tesla accidents non autopilot vs. non autopilot and the difference was huge. Autopilot is safer on the freeway than human drivers.
Old 05-22-2024, 7:32pm   #327
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 50.6%

Thanked 7,927 Times in 3,541 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
Autopilot is safer on the freeway than human drivers.
And yet nowhere in your "stats" does it mention that whole human intervention thing.

Not wrecking "while using autopilot" doesn't mean shit without context... you know... all of that raw data that Elon keeps secret while publishing his sales pitch. The very least of which would be a count of times that human intervention was required to prevent an accident.

Unless of course your argument is that no human has ever had to intervene.

You have admitted yourself that you only use it in the most basic situations, in the middle lane on highways. You don't think it may be of some importance to note that the times it is being used are the times when people were least f**king likely to wreck anyway? You don't think that may skew the numbers just a bit that it's only being used in the easiest situations?

You do realize that the "stats" posted on Tesla's page that you linked are a generic crashes per million miles. For the US average, that includes city driving and many other higher frequency activities that are N/A for the autopilot data. You're comparing apples to giraffes.

No shit that something used only in the most basic highway situations has less accidents than people driving through f**king cities and everywhere else.

Somehow your takeaway is a generic bold statement that it's "safer on the freeway than human drivers"

You are either painfully ignorant or simply dishonest. Possibly both. I can assure you that Elon is the second of those.

Are you at least intelligent enough to recognize and honest enough to admit that the simple minded argument of wrecks "while using autopilot" is a very easily skewed metric?

I'm betting the answer is no.

Come on. You can do it.

RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 8:37pm   #328
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
And yet nowhere in your "stats" does it mention that whole human intervention thing.

Not wrecking "while using autopilot" doesn't mean shit without context... you know... all of that raw data that Elon keeps secret while publishing his sales pitch. The very least of which would be a count of times that human intervention was required to prevent an accident.

Unless of course your argument is that no human has ever had to intervene.

You have admitted yourself that you only use it in the most basic situations, in the middle lane on highways. You don't think it may be of some importance to note that the times it is being used are the times when people were least f**king likely to wreck anyway? You don't think that may skew the numbers just a bit that it's only being used in the easiest situations?

You do realize that the "stats" posted on Tesla's page that you linked are a generic crashes per million miles. For the US average, that includes city driving and many other higher frequency activities that are N/A for the autopilot data. You're comparing apples to giraffes.

No shit that something used only in the most basic highway situations has less accidents than people driving through f**king cities and everywhere else.

Somehow your takeaway is a generic bold statement that it's "safer on the freeway than human drivers"

You are either painfully ignorant or simply dishonest. Possibly both. I can assure you that Elon is the second of those.

Are you at least intelligent enough to recognize and honest enough to admit that the simple minded argument of wrecks "while using autopilot" is a very easily skewed metric?

I'm betting the answer is no.

Come on. You can do it.

Makes no sense arguing with someone who will claim that all data that don't show the numbers they want to see are fake. You would even disagree is NHTSA posted those results if you don't like them. Autopilot is very safe if you understand what it does and use it accordingly.
FSD works even better than Autopilot on the highway as it will be able to handle left exits and merging traffic safely. Autopilot is not designed for those scenarios.
Old 05-22-2024, 8:45pm   #329
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

here is what Tesla says that Autopilot/Autosteer does:

Autosteer: Like Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, Autosteer maintains a set speed (if there is not a vehicle in front of you) or a set following distance (if there is a vehicle in front of you). In addition, Autosteer detects lane markings, road edges, and the presence of vehicles and objects to intelligently keep Model X in its driving lane (see Autosteer).
Old 05-22-2024, 9:03pm   #330
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Makes no sense arguing with someone who will claim that all data that don't show the numbers they want to see are fake. You would even disagree is NHTSA posted those results if you don't like them. Autopilot is very safe if you understand what it does and use it accordingly.
FSD works even better than Autopilot on the highway as it will be able to handle left exits and merging traffic safely. Autopilot is not designed for those scenarios.
As usual, you are making shit up. Stop lying. I didn't say in any way that it was FAKE.

I said it was incomplete at best. And it is.

You do know what the words "incomplete" and "fake" mean different things, right?

You lacking the basic critical thinking skills required to understand the reasons why that is the case doesn't mean it's not so.
Old 05-22-2024, 9:18pm   #331
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 60.6%

Thanked 34,191 Times in 12,035 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Most adaptive cruise/LKA systems are not as reliable as autopilot.
Quote:
Quote:
Personal experience. I owned a vehicle with LKA and it would not handle sharp curves well.
So you know what “most” systems do based on personal experience with one vehicle? You might like statistics but you obviously don’t understand statistics.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 9:24pm   #332
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 74.5%

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,121 Posts

Quote:
So you know what “most” systems do based on personal experience with one vehicle? You might like statistics but you obviously don’t understand statistics.
The phrase “pencil whipping” is commonly used in the safety industry to describe the practice of completing inspection forms or checklists without conducting a thorough inspection (e.g., “checking the box”). There are various reasons one might “pencil whip” an audit/inspection, including a lack of time or resources, inadequate training, or simply the presence of a non-committal attitude toward safety. Regardless, pencil whipping is a serious issue that can compromise workplace safety and increase the risk of accidents and injuries. To successfully address this issue, organizations should adopt a multi-faceted approach that covers all the potential root causes. The following are some detailed steps that an organization could take to eradicate this damaging practice.

Name:  Dancing Minion GIF - Dancing Minion - Discover & Share GIFs.gif
Views: 39
Size:  363.6 KB
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 9:29pm   #333
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
You might like statistics but you obviously don’t understand statistics.
His understanding of statistics is about equivalent to that of a goldfish.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:20pm   #334
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 38.1%

Thanked 2,150 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
I posted the stats of Tesla accidents non autopilot vs. non autopilot and the difference was huge. Autopilot is safer on the freeway than human drivers.
There is nowhere near enough data to support your claim, as there are very few, relatively speaking, autopilot and/or self-driving vehicles on the road today. That's like saying that Bugattis are safer than Camrys.

Quote:
And your personal experience proves that your "self-driving" Tesla can't handle school zones. I'm somewhat sure that they're safe when they're actually being monitored, but they sure as **** aren't safe when you're looking at and posting on the Barn when you're supposed to be paying attention.
jw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 7:51am   #335
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

More FSD.. My commute home. No intervention needed. My video got blocked in some countries because of the songs I played during the drive.

Old 05-23-2024, 8:00am   #336
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
There is nowhere near enough data to support your claim, as there are very few, relatively speaking, autopilot and/or self-driving vehicles on the road today. That's like saying that Bugattis are safer than Camrys.

And your personal experience proves that your "self-driving" Tesla can't handle school zones. I'm somewhat sure that they're safe when they're actually being monitored, but they sure as **** aren't safe when you're looking at and posting on the Barn when you're supposed to be paying attention.
I actually said exactly that. FSD is not ready for prime time OFF THE FREEWAY. As for autopilot, I have tens of thousands of miles experience with it on the freeway and trust it with my life going on the middle lane or left·lane on routes with no left exits.
Old 05-23-2024, 8:18am   #337
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 60.6%

Thanked 34,191 Times in 12,035 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
As for autopilot, I have tens of thousands of miles experience with it on the freeway and trust it with my life going on the middle lane or left·lane on routes with no left exits.
So, on a two lane highway you never get out of the left lane?
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 8:18am   #338
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
....and trust it with my life going on the middle lane or left·lane on routes with no left exits.
Quote:
Autopilot is safer on the freeway than human drivers.
It's safer than people... but only in the middle lane on stretches of highway with no left exist, no splits, and no scenario other than driving in a straight line.

And it is exactly the same as every other lane assist/adaptive cruise.

Got it.
Old 05-23-2024, 8:35am   #339
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
I posted multiple flaws in this data including the fact that the Tesla data doesn't include many of the typical driving scenarios with the highest accident rates (such as city driving), it doesn't have any mention of times when human intervention was required, and others.

It's no different than saying accidents don't happen while people are using cruise control because most people hit the brakes (which turns it off) immediately before a crash.

There were tens of thousands of miles driven in go-karts in 2023 with no fatalities on the highway. Therefore go-karts are safer on the highway than Teslas.

Tesla's "data" has absolutely no context whatsoever. It's a sales pitch. Anybody who doesn't understand how easily "data" can be skewed when the goal is to return a specific result is a f**king moron.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 9:02am   #340
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 38.1%

Thanked 2,150 Times in 830 Posts

Hmmm...it appears that people are wising up to Tesla's bullshit. Oh yeah...and they're not safe.

Tesla's once-stellar reputation is running out of juice
https://www.axios.com/2024/05/23/tes...os-harris-poll

"Meanwhile, federal safety regulators say Tesla's Autopilot assisted-driving technology was responsible for 467 crashes and 14 deaths over about 15 months during 2022-23.

Hey, it's 14 deaths but they all died for the cause. Thanks comrades.
jw38 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic