Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2024, 1:31pm   #301
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Just to clarify, you're now changing all of your previous bullshit about "not on the highway" to instead be limited to driving only in the middle lane of the highway.
For AUTOPILOT, I have always said that you need to be in the middle lane.
It's pretty obvious to understand that a system designed to center you in your lane will have a problem with the lane splitting into 2. I would bet that FSD would have handled it correctly as FSD is actually designed for that. Autopilot is not.
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 1:35pm   #302
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 50.6%

Thanked 7,927 Times in 3,541 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
What autopilot does is defined very clearly and anybody with half a brain that understand how it works will know how to use it safely:

1) it keeps the car centered in the travel lane
2) it will keep the distance to the car in front of you.
So it does exactly what every other adaptive cruise does. Amazing.

Quote:
If a lane splits or a lane joins the travel lane, the system may not act correctly AS IT IS NOT DESIGNED FOR IT!
So, if the lane you are travelling splits, the system can get confused as it is not designed for that. I pointed out MANY times that I only use autopilot in the MIDDLE LANE. If I know that the highway I'm travelling has no LEFT exits, I may choose the left lane as well but if I don't know the highway, I will always travel in the middle lane as I have a brain and I understand what autopilot does.

I know every inch of my commute route. If I would be travelling on a street that I'm not familiar with, I would pay more attention.
So now it's only in the middle lanes of highways that you are intimately familiar with.

Got it.

Confirmed that your previous statements about how good it is on highways and that no crashes have happened on highways has now been revised to state that they don't happen in the middle lanes of highways with no splits and no other anomalies.

Thanks for the update.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 1:40pm   #303
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
So it does exactly what every other adaptive cruise does. Amazing.

So now it's only in the middle lanes of highways that you are intimately familiar with.

Got it.

Confirmed that your previous statements about how good it is on highways and that no crashes have happened on highways has now been revised to state that they don't happen in the middle lanes of highways with no splits and no other anomalies.

Thanks for the update.
FOR FSD, it doesn't matter what lane you travel as it is designed to make decisions based on your route which lane to stay in. Autopilot is NOT designed to make decisions like that and need manual intervention. I have explained this many times that I exclusively use AUTOPILOT in the middle lane because I know the system's limitations. Yes, adaptive cruise control is the same as autopilot if it has lane keep assist. The difference is that the Tesla autopilot is smoother than most other system for the same task but all that autopilot is is a lane keep system with adaptive cruise control. If your brain can understand what it does, you know how to use it safely.
If I pull up a list of crashes caused by fatigued or sleepy drivers, you will get thousand times more hits than FSD/Autopilot crashes. Sleepy/Fatigued drivers are a much higher danger than people on FSD/Autopilot.
Old 05-22-2024, 1:42pm   #304
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
For AUTOPILOT, I have always said that you need to be in the middle lane.
It's pretty obvious to understand that a system designed to center you in your lane will have a problem with the lane splitting into 2. I would bet that FSD would have handled it correctly as FSD is actually designed for that. Autopilot is not.
Funny... that's not what you said a few posts ago. A few posts ago it was great on the highway and no wrecks happened on the highway.

Quote:
How many of those were on the highway?? ZERO

As I suspected, all those incidents did not happen on the highway.

Highway driving is nowhere near the complexity of city driving or county roads etc.
Old 05-22-2024, 1:43pm   #305
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
If I pull up a list of crashes caused by fatigued or sleepy drivers, you will get thousand times more hits than FSD/Autopilot crashes. Sleepy/Fatigued drivers are a much higher danger than people on FSD/Autopilot.
Great. And you can follow that up with a list of deaths caused by dumb f**ks racing on the street...
Old 05-22-2024, 1:45pm   #306
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Just to clarify, you're now changing all of your previous bullshit about "not on the highway" to instead be limited to driving only in the middle lane of the highway.
The links in the originally quoted posts were all non highway.
Old 05-22-2024, 1:47pm   #307
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Great. And you can follow that up with a list of deaths caused by dumb f**ks racing on the street...
I'd bet that sleepy fatigued drivers who just stopped for gas without breaks causes a lot more deaths than street racing and autopilot/FSD combined.
Old 05-22-2024, 1:49pm   #308
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 71.0%

Thanked 19,042 Times in 8,459 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Originally Posted by theandies View Post
Best wat y to handle these threads:

This message is hidden because GrandSportC3 is on your ignore list.
[VBOT]Ignore lists are for pussies.[/VBOT]

Announcing the fact that someone is on your ignore list is the online equivalent of this:

dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 1:50pm   #309
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Sleepy/Fatigued drivers are a much higher danger than people on FSD/Autopilot.
Just to clarify, it's your argument that those "sleepy and fatigued" drivers are the result of long trips without hour long breaks.

You do realize that an overwhelming number of people that could be described as driving around "sleepy and fatigued" are not in that condition because of some 1000 mile road trip, right?
Old 05-22-2024, 1:51pm   #310
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
I'd bet that sleepy fatigued drivers who just stopped for gas without breaks causes a lot more deaths than street racing and autopilot/FSD combined.

Source: Trust me bro.

Yea. Sitting in McDonalds or a parking lot for an hour is definitely a nice refreshing experience that eliminates fatigue.

It definitely helps for those extra hours that you're driving after I'm already sitting at my destination.
Old 05-22-2024, 1:52pm   #311
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Just to clarify, it's your argument that those "sleepy and fatigued" drivers are the result of long trips without hour long breaks.

You do realize that an overwhelming number of people that could be described as driving around "sleepy and fatigued" are not in that condition because of some 1000 mile road trip, right?
My point is that sleepy/fatigued drivers are a MUCH LARGER HAZARD to other drivers than those travelling on Autopilot.. Here is a FACT for you:
Now, tell me again how you can go 500 miles without stopping for gas or rest. You keep glorifying how it's great not to stop longer stops on road trips.
People who do this are a much larger danger than those on autopilot.

Quote:
The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety estimates that drowsy driving causes about 328,000 crashes each year, which is more than three times the number reported by police. This includes 109,000 injuries and about 6,400 fatalities. However, the researchers suggest that the number of fatalities caused by drowsy driving is more than 350% higher than reported. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that fatigue-related crashes cause society $109 billion annually in injuries and deaths, not including property damage.

National Safety Council
Fatigued Driving - National Safety Council
Prevalence of Drowsy Driving Crashes ... A study by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety estimated that 328,000 drowsy driving crashes occur annually, more than three times the police-reported number. The same study found that 109,000 of those drowsy driving crashes resulted in an injury and about 6,400 were fatal. The researchers suggest the prevalence of drowsy driving fatalities is more than 350% greater than reported. Beyond the human toll is the economic one. NHTSA estimates fatigue-related crashes resulting in injury or death cost society $109 billion annually, not including property damage.
Drowsy driving is more likely to occur in the early morning, late afternoon, and when drivers speed off the road. Some population groups are at higher risk for drowsy driving, including shift workers, young people, and people with sleeping disorders.
According to a study, drivers who reported six, five, and four hours of sleep in the past 24 hours had 1.3, 1.9, and 2.9 times the odds of responsibility for a crash, respectively, compared with a driver who slept for seven to nine hours.
Generative AI is experimental.
Old 05-22-2024, 1:58pm   #312
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
My point is that sleepy/fatigued drivers are a MUCH LARGER HAZARD to other drivers than those travelling on Autopilot.. Here is a FACT for you:
What in the goddamn hell are you even arguing?

Do you even read the stupid shit that you post?

Quote:
Drowsy driving is more likely to occur in the early morning, late afternoon, and when drivers speed off the road. Some population groups are at higher risk for drowsy driving, including shift workers, young people, and people with sleeping disorders.
According to a study, drivers who reported six, five, and four hours of sleep in the past 24 hours had 1.3, 1.9, and 2.9 times the odds of responsibility for a crash, respectively, compared with a driver who slept for seven to nine hours.
That has absolutely f**king nothing to do with driving long distances.

Quote:
Now, tell me again how you can go 500 miles without stopping for gas or rest. You keep glorifying how it's great not to stop longer stops on road trips.
Now tell me again how sitting in McDonalds is the miracle cure for fatigue.

If you can't make it more than 2 hours without sitting for an hour to rest, you need to go see your doctor.

Funny, your argument is that highway driving is easy and doesn't require you to pay attention if you're in a Tesla. But if your not, you're going to kill everybody around you.
Old 05-22-2024, 2:01pm   #313
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
What in the goddamn hell are you even arguing?

Do you even read the stupid shit that you post?

That has absolutely f**king nothing to do with driving long distances.
There are many reasons that can cause you to be fatigued. Not having proper breaks is one of them. Not enough sleep is another one of them. Many different reasons that can cause fatigue. Over 300k accidents is a HUUUUGE number and I bet that many were people only stopping for gas on long trips without taking breaks, certainly more than those having in accident on autopilot/fsd
Old 05-22-2024, 2:04pm   #314
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
There are many reasons that can cause you to be fatigued. Not having proper breaks is one of them. Not enough sleep is another one of them. Many different reasons that can cause fatigue. Over 300k accidents is a HUUUUGE number and I bet that many were people only stopping for gas on long trips without taking breaks, certainly more than those having in accident on autopilot/fsd
Sitting for an hour in McDonalds doesn't relieve fatigue.

Yes indeed, not enough sleep is a cause. Is your argument now that you stop for a nice nap every 200 miles?
Old 05-22-2024, 2:08pm   #315
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Yes, adaptive cruise control is the same as autopilot if it has lane keep assist.
Quote:
...certainly more than those having in accident on autopilot/fsd
Interesting.

So when I use the adaptive cruise and lane assist, I'm perfectly fine. I can do the exact same thing... without the hours of charging, and without the fear of having a wreck, since my cars do exactly the same thing.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 05-22-2024, 2:09pm   #316
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 71.0%

Thanked 19,042 Times in 8,459 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
NHTSA found that Tesla’s driver-assist features are insufficient at keeping drivers engaged in the task of driving, which can often have fatal results.
Since when is the automobile manufacturer responsible for drivers not paying attention to the driving task?

What's next, holding cellular phone manufacturers responsible when drivers text or facetime behind the wheel because "the phone was insufficient at keeping drivers engaged in the task of driving"? Is that the kind of Woke Liberal world you want to live in?
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 2:46pm   #317
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Interesting.

So when I use the adaptive cruise and lane assist, I'm perfectly fine. I can do the exact same thing... without the hours of charging, and without the fear of having a wreck, since my cars do exactly the same thing.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Most adaptive cruise/LKA systems are not as reliable as autopilot.
Old 05-22-2024, 2:50pm   #318
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 38.1%

Thanked 2,150 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
It's completely irrelevant if it was self driving or if someone was drunk or fell asleep etc. etc.
If someone gets hurt due to someone else's fault, you take it to court.
Let's say someone drives 1200 miles with just gas stops with no breaks and then falls asleep and kills a family.. Same thing. It doesn't matter what the reason is, you can of course sue the guilty party.
Blah, blah, blah.

Quote:
The good news is that you won't need to spend much on a lawyer when they're f**king dumb enough to post videos of themselves sitting on the internet and not paying attention to the road.
Oh so true.

Here's what Texas has done about distracted driving. And if GSC3 doesn't think he was distracted, he's 100% incorrect.

https://data.texas.gov/stories/s/Tex...ty-/ndn8-c2cs/

Other common distractions include talking on the phone, grooming, reading, eating, adjusting the radio, or navigation while driving — anything that takes the driver’s attention away from driving.

Quote:
How about you post up the number of Autopilot vehicles vs the number of vehicles that actually require the driver to drive them? It's an infinitesimal number, so your comparison isn't a valid one. Distracted driving most certainly is a problem. Hence why I believe that self-driving vehicles are dangerous. Their "drivers"...you included...are lulled into a false sense of security and they...including you...do really stupid, distracted shit like reading and posting on car forums when you're supposed to be PAYING ****ING ATTENTION TO THE ROAD
jw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 2:55pm   #319
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 60.6%

Thanked 34,191 Times in 12,035 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Most adaptive cruise/LKA systems are not as reliable as autopilot.
Got a link to studies that support that conclusion?
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 2:56pm   #320
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Got a link to studies that support that conclusion?
Source: Trust me bro

Alt Source: Elon said so.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic