Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2024, 9:09pm   #3041
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
My sincere apologies for not being more granular with my comments. I used McDonalds as a generic for the 3x you stopped for nasty ass fast food/gas station meals.

Because Taco Bell for dinner is definitely much better.

45 minutes at McDonalds for breakfast. That's YOUR claim. Even if your idiotic 15 minutes to get your food claim was real (which it isn't) it really takes you 30 minutes to sit there and eat a bagel? It's your argument that this 45 minute bagel stop is how "normal" people travel? Yea, not so much.
It was packed. It was 8 am and we waited 15 mins for the food alone. They forgot one item and I had to tell them to get the missing item. Kids were not done eating when the car was finished charging.
Bucee's has a lot of food options. Not a typical fast food spot with limited options.
Bucee's was packed if you saw my video. You are full of it if you think that people don't stop at places like that on road trips. There were 100's of people at Bucee's which is primarily a gas, not charging station. Nobody travels like that, yet, those places are packed. Just because you don't like that type pf place a HUGE amount of people stop at those places. Just watch my trip video. Bucee's was packed for lunch, just like McDonalds for breakfast.
GrandSportC3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 7:07am   #3042
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 50.6%

Thanked 7,927 Times in 3,541 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
It was packed. It was 8 am and we waited 15 mins for the food alone. They forgot one item and I had to tell them to get the missing item. Kids were not done eating when the car was finished charging.
Bucee's has a lot of food options. Not a typical fast food spot with limited options.
Bucee's was packed if you saw my video. You are full of it if you think that people don't stop at places like that on road trips. There were 100's of people at Bucee's which is primarily a gas, not charging station. Nobody travels like that, yet, those places are packed. Just because you don't like that type pf place a HUGE amount of people stop at those places. Just watch my trip video. Bucee's was packed for lunch, just like McDonalds for breakfast.
Yes. I know what Bucee's is. I've been to them multiple times. The 1 good thing about them? It's fast. The food is already made. It doesn't take 45 minutes to take a piss, grab a drink, and pick up a sandwich off of the shelf.

Normal people don't sit at McDonalds for 30 minutes to eat a bagel. It doesn't take normal people 45 minutes to get in and out of Bucee's.

You're absurdly slow. That's perfectly fine. I don't care. What you are NOT however, is representative of normal.

And beyond any of that, the argument that EVs don't take any more time on longer trips because of your affinity to sit in gas stations and fast food restaurants is absolutely stupid. I have a hell of a setup in my garage, nice comfy chairs, TV, cold beer. As I said before, it is absolutely no different than saying that oil changes don't cost any time because I would be in my garage anyway. It's a stupid ass argument.

You can't even bring yourself to admit even the most glaring negatives about EVs. They're cars and you continuously argue them like a religion. You defend them blindly to the death. You twist, you skew, you deflect, and you dismiss anything you don't like. If you were even remotely honest in your discussions with positives and negatives rather than arguing about hot meals and less showers, maybe what you say would actually taken seriously.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 7:53am   #3043
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Yes. I know what Bucee's is. I've been to them multiple times. The 1 good thing about them? It's fast. The food is already made. It doesn't take 45 minutes to take a piss, grab a drink, and pick up a sandwich off of the shelf.

Normal people don't sit at McDonalds for 30 minutes to eat a bagel. It doesn't take normal people 45 minutes to get in and out of Bucee's.

You're absurdly slow. That's perfectly fine. I don't care. What you are NOT however, is representative of normal.

And beyond any of that, the argument that EVs don't take any more time on longer trips because of your affinity to sit in gas stations and fast food restaurants is absolutely stupid. I have a hell of a setup in my garage, nice comfy chairs, TV, cold beer. As I said before, it is absolutely no different than saying that oil changes don't cost any time because I would be in my garage anyway. It's a stupid ass argument.

You can't even bring yourself to admit even the most glaring negatives about EVs. They're cars and you continuously argue them like a religion. You defend them blindly to the death. You twist, you skew, you deflect, and you dismiss anything you don't like. If you were even remotely honest in your discussions with positives and negatives rather than arguing about hot meals and less showers, maybe what you say would actually taken seriously.
If you are on a road trip, you got to use the bathroom as well. While the men's bathroom didn't have any lines, wife and daughter had to wait like 10 minutes just to use the potty. Lines are crazy there. Furthermore, Bucee's also offers freshly prepared foods and we ordered some of that and it took about 15 minutes to get that food.
All I'm saying that for ME, there is no difference in travel time with EV's based on our travel style. In a full day of driving or like 1000 miles, we always spent AT LEAST 2 hours stopped. While the distribution of that time was different (we ususally spend 1 hour at Chick Fil A so that the kids could use the playground when they were younger) and another hour in a sit down Restaurant. So, while with gas cars, it was broken down slightly different, but the total time stopped for the last 15 years doing that trip was about the same FOR US. When the kids were little, we also stopped to change diapers etc. etc. When they were older, we stopped at playgrounds and now, we consider our children on where to stop. Especially my daughter is a very picky eater. McDonalds covers everyone for breakfast (as does Wawa).
Again, I have dont the 1350 mile (each way) trip from Lakeland/FL to McAllen/TX probably 20 times in 15 years and every single time we did it, we left early morning on the previous day and arrived early afternoon in McAllen.. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. WITH OUR WITHOUT EV. There is no difference FOR US. You are trying to tell me that the EV affects our travel negatively but we have 15 years of data and it doesn't. The trip to McAllen is the only long road trip we are doing. Other Road trips are usually only to Fort Lauderdale which I can reach on one charge, so, charging is no issue at all as I usually plug in at the Hotel once I'm there.
Kids are on their phones and tablets at McDonalds and not just eating. That slows things down.
Old 05-16-2024, 8:39am   #3044
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

The fact that you still don't seem to grasp this is absolutely astounding. I have never argued nor given even a little bit of a crap what YOU do. Don't care. You want to sit in McDonalds and Taco Bell, great. You want to spend a few hours in a gas station, super. You want to stop every 100 miles, don't care. I don't give a shit if the Petunia changes the way that YOU travel.

The problem is that you keep spinning it into a claim that you somehow represent "normal". You don't. It's that simple. You don't.
Normal people trying to get to a destination don't spend 45 minutes in Bucee's. Normal people don't sit in a McDonalds for a hour because their kids are playing games on the phone. Normal people don't spend multiple hours in a day of travel sitting in fast food restaurants. Normal people don't stop for 45 minutes to take a piss. Normal people don't sit in shithole fast food restaurants for an extended period of time so kids can play on the same iPads that they can use in the car. I travel a hell of a lot. I do it with 2 young kids. It doesn't take an hour to go to the bathroom and get food.

There are a lot of people here. Many that travel. Can you find 1 other person on this forum, just 1, that thinks that's a normal way to do it? Is there 1 other person that waits until the busiest times and then stops and sits in fast food restaurants multiple times in a day and thinks that's "normal"? I may be wrong, but I very highly doubt it.

Are you capable of admitting something negative about your precious car or is there really nothing at all that you won't try to somehow spin?
Old 05-16-2024, 8:49am   #3045
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
The fact that you still don't seem to grasp this is absolutely astounding. I have never argued nor given even a little bit of a crap what YOU do. Don't care. You want to sit in McDonalds and Taco Bell, great. You want to spend a few hours in a gas station, super. You want to stop every 100 miles, don't care. I don't give a shit if the Petunia changes the way that YOU travel.

The problem is that you keep spinning it into a claim that you somehow represent "normal". You don't. It's that simple. You don't.
Normal people trying to get to a destination don't spend 45 minutes in Bucee's. Normal people don't sit in a McDonalds for a hour because their kids are playing games on the phone. Normal people don't spend multiple hours in a day of travel sitting in fast food restaurants. Normal people don't stop for 45 minutes to take a piss. Normal people don't sit in shithole fast food restaurants for an extended period of time so kids can play on the same iPads that they can use in the car. I travel a hell of a lot. I do it with 2 young kids. It doesn't take an hour to go to the bathroom and get food.

There are a lot of people here. Many that travel. Can you find 1 other person on this forum, just 1, that thinks that's a normal way to do it? Is there 1 other person that waits until the busiest times and then stops and sits in fast food restaurants multiple times in a day and thinks that's "normal"? I may be wrong, but I very highly doubt it.

Are you capable of admitting something negative about your precious car or is there really nothing at all that you won't try to somehow spin?
Many people even dine in a sit down Restaurant for an hour while on road trips. Most people on LONG road trips will have longer stops. Again, why do you think that there are so many SIT DOWN Restaurants along major Highways? Because people are always in a rush? No, people take breaks, even if they are not eating. It helps increase focus and battle driver fatigue if you have proper breaks. I'm certain that most people who drive 1000 miles in a day will have at least 2 hours stopped time. I would be surprised if they didn't. It doesn't matter how those 2 hours are distributed but most people will at least spend 2 hours stopped if you drive from early morning to late night.
EVEN if you don't eat anything. You could just sit in the car and check your facebook feed, post on a message board etc. There are many things to do while stopped and most importantly, it helps to recover from the previous trip leg.
Old 05-16-2024, 8:55am   #3046
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 60.0%

Thanked 34,188 Times in 12,033 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Many people even dine in a sit down Restaurant for an hour while on road trips.
True, but those stops for most people are based on where they want to eat, not where a charging station for their EV is. On our occasional road trips we like to get off the highway and find a local restaurant, which for the most part don't have and aren't near a charging station. We plan our meal stops, or just do them spontaneously, based on where we want to eat and we don't eat at gas stations or fast food chains. You plan your meal stops based on where you can charge your car and you eat at gas stations and fast food chains. Big difference.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 9:09am   #3047
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
True, but those stops for most people are based on where they want to eat, not where a charging station for their EV is. On our occasional road trips we like to get off the highway and find a local restaurant, which for the most part don't have and aren't near a charging station. We plan our meal stops, or just do them spontaneously, based on where we want to eat and we don't eat at gas stations or fast food chains. You plan your meal stops based on where you can charge your car and you eat at gas stations and fast food chains. Big difference.
There are plenty of food choices at different chargers. SURE, I have already said before that your choices are more limited with EV vs. gas. That's something I can easily live with. I'm not a difficult eater. I find something I like pretty easily. As I said before, I can look up the food options at different chargers and choose the charger with the best food options. I can do that WHILE DRIVING, so I don't need to spend extra planning time. Once my charge drops to a level where I will need to charge soon, I just tap on the charger icon and it shows me all chargers nearby and when I tap on the chargers, I can tap on the food icon in the charger details and it will show all food options at that location. No long planning needed. Just a few taps on the screen and after checking with the family, we choose the charger we want to charge based on the food options we like. Yes, as I said, food options are much less than with a gas car. No doubt. I don't see that as a major issue as I'm not a difficult eater.
Old 05-16-2024, 9:17am   #3048
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Many people even dine in a sit down Restaurant for an hour while on road trips. Most people on LONG road trips will have longer stops. Again, why do you think that there are so many SIT DOWN Restaurants along major Highways? Because people are always in a rush? No, people take breaks, even if they are not eating. It helps increase focus and battle driver fatigue if you have proper breaks. I'm certain that most people who drive 1000 miles in a day will have at least 2 hours stopped time. I would be surprised if they didn't. It doesn't matter how those 2 hours are distributed but most people will at least spend 2 hours stopped if you drive from early morning to late night.
EVEN if you don't eat anything. You could just sit in the car and check your facebook feed, post on a message board etc. There are many things to do while stopped and most importantly, it helps to recover from the previous trip leg.
Holy shit. You are dense at a level that I never realized was possible.
Old 05-16-2024, 9:50am   #3049
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 87.4%

Thanked 8,286 Times in 4,112 Posts

Throughout my travels, it has always seemed that the best family restaurants, many of them multi-generational, are always at brightly lit gas and charging stations. They're never in the older more historic part of town, well off of the highway. McDonalds has been around for 69 years. Taco Bell for over 50. These are classic, historic eateries. Who wouldn't want to hang out for an hour or more, every two hours, to soak up the experience?
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 9:57am   #3050
OnPoint
A Real Barner
Activity: 9.7%

I don't think I've ever spent more than about 30 seconds pondering the apparently endless inane time sink opportunities for pit stops on road trips. Holy fuck.

Pull over, splash some gas, take a leak and hit the road. Crikey, how many other simple life tasks do people skull fuck into mindless, needless complexity?
OnPoint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OnPoint For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 10:00am   #3051
Steve_R
A Real Barner

Quote:
There are plenty of food choices at different chargers. SURE, I have already said before that your choices are more limited with EV vs. gas. That's something I can easily live with. I'm not a difficult eater. I find something I like pretty easily. As I said before, I can look up the food options at different chargers and choose the charger with the best food options. I can do that WHILE DRIVING, so I don't need to spend extra planning time. Once my charge drops to a level where I will need to charge soon, I just tap on the charger icon and it shows me all chargers nearby and when I tap on the chargers, I can tap on the food icon in the charger details and it will show all food options at that location. No long planning needed. Just a few taps on the screen and after checking with the family, we choose the charger we want to charge based on the food options we like. Yes, as I said, food options are much less than with a gas car. No doubt. I don't see that as a major issue as I'm not a difficult eater.
This gave me a good laugh, thanks.

We go to the NASCAR race in Bristol, TN every year. It's ~8 hours of driving. We don't plan ANYTHING. As an example, last year we were in the middle of TN on I-26 and saw a sign advertising a local BBQ place in a small town several miles off the interstate at the next exit. We decided to try it and it was excellent. No planning. No clicking on a screen. I seriously doubt there were any chargers near the restaurant as it was a very tiny town. I don't remember if we filled up while there or not since we don't plan gas stops either. Our only rule for meals on a road trip is no fast food, no chain restaurants and no gas station food. YMMV.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 10:21am   #3052
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
This gave me a good laugh, thanks.

We go to the NASCAR race in Bristol, TN every year. It's ~8 hours of driving. We don't plan ANYTHING. As an example, last year we were in the middle of TN on I-26 and saw a sign advertising a local BBQ place in a small town several miles off the interstate at the next exit. We decided to try it and it was excellent. No planning. No clicking on a screen. I seriously doubt there were any chargers near the restaurant as it was a very tiny town. I don't remember if we filled up while there or not since we don't plan gas stops either. Our only rule for meals on a road trip is no fast food, no chain restaurants and no gas station food. YMMV.
If I'm going to a Restaurant or chain that I don't know, I always do my research. I check reviews as I don't want to end up at a place that sucks.
Most restaurants along the highway are usually major chains and you know what you get without doing any research.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:35am   #3053
Steve_R
A Real Barner

Quote:
If I'm going to a Restaurant or chain that I don't know, I always do my research. I check reviews as I don't want to end up at a place that sucks.
Most restaurants along the highway are usually major chains and you know what you get without doing any research.
Research. You're missing out on a lot by eating mediocre food at chains.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 11:56am   #3054
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
As I said, I'm fairly easy. I'm not expecting gourmet Restaurants along the highway. Add bacon and everything will taste great
I also enjoy Whataburger on our Texas trips. Something that we don't have in my area. Their BBQ chicken strip sandwich is great. I usually frequent better Restaurants when we are at the destination. All I'm looking for on a road trip is decent hot food. Back with gas cars, we stopped at Chick Fil A many times. Not really my type of food but the kids loved it. We also stopped at places like IHOP or Denny's which are commonly found at or near gas stations. Not too picky when it comes to food on road trips. As long as it's hot food with decent taste, I'm good.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:27pm   #3055
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 69.0%

Thanked 19,039 Times in 8,456 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
It was packed. It was 8 am and we waited 15 mins for the food alone.
That's impossible. Moe says the entire fueling/pissing/eating stop takes less than 15 minutes, including table service.
dvarapala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 12:34pm   #3056
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421

Quote:
He's getting all the sugar and fat calories he needs, trust me.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:37pm   #3057
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
He's getting all the sugar and fat calories he needs, trust me.
I have a pretty balanced diet. My road trip diet doesn't reflect my overall diet. I eat lots of asian food which is high in veggies and low in carbs.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:39pm   #3058
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421

Quote:
I have a pretty balanced diet. My road trip diet doesn't reflect my overall diet. I eat lots of asian food which is high in veggies and low in carbs.
Whatever you've eaten, it's made your head harder than granite.
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 1:05pm   #3059
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 21.9%

Thanked 7,298 Times in 3,234 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
I believe everything in this post, but what you fail to realize is that it is YOU who has the unusual travel style, not the rest of the road tripping population.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 1:13pm   #3060
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 69.0%

Thanked 19,039 Times in 8,456 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
Whatever you've eaten, it's made your head harder than granite.
dvarapala is online now   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic