Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2024, 9:13am   #2881
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 61.9%

Thanked 7,917 Times in 3,531 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
We are talking about one single emergency stop from 80 to zero. If your brakes are not hot when you do that, there should be little difference. The benefits of larger brakes or better materials only comes in when your brakes are hot from aggressive driving. Changing brake pads CAN indeed change your stopping distance, especially if you don't use your factory pads for the simple reason that your ABS is tuned for those pads and will not work as efficient if you use a different type. It's always a good idea to use the recommended pads for your brake system. I do agree that the main purpose of good brakes is to dissipate heat but one singe stop on cold brakes will not cause the brakes to get to a temperature where braking performance is compromised.
Suspension can obviously affect braking distance, especially aftermarket systems designed for different terrain. Camber is very important for braking distance to create the most friction between the tires and the asphalt. Tires themselves can make a huge difference. A lower treadwear number usually gets you better braking distance vs. higher treadwear.
On EV's, if someone drives normally, your brake pads will be barely above environment temperature as most braking is done using regen and not friction brakes. So, if you drive around and you have to do an emergency stop, brake performance will be as good as can be as you will be braking when the brakes are cold. Of course, if you do a couple of back to back drag strip passes and then slam the brakes, your braking distance will be affected without a doubt.
All of that is completely irrelevant to the original point. I admittedly deviated from it as well.

The original point is that piece of shit brakes feel like piece of shit brakes. A car with a bad suspension drives like a car with a bad suspension. You don't have to be on a race track to feel the difference. You don't have to be on the limit at insane speeds to feel the difference.

Driving a car is an experience. It's a feel. We get it, you can't tell the difference. That's fine. "Adequate" is your benchmark. Great. Your Tesla is the perfect car for you. It drives like shit. It feels like shit. It gives absolutely zero feedback. ... but yes, it is indeed "adequate".

You have your preferences. That's fine. "Performance" to you means driving in a straight line and absolutely nothing else. Great. You can't tell the difference between a good suspension and a bad one. You can't tell the difference between good brakes and garbage. You think the only difference is on a race track driving at the limit. Again, that's perfectly ok, but your ignorance doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. On a spec sheet, a $10 Timex tells you the time just like a Rolex. That doesn't mean there's no difference.

Your continued insistence that there is not a difference... because you don't f**king know any better, because you can't tell... is absolutely ignorant.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 9:16am   #2882
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 64.5%

Thanked 34,090 Times in 12,003 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Around here, most know what a Plaid is.
So it's your contention that "most" people driving around the Orlando area know what a Plaid is and can tell by looking?

That is complete, utter, pure BS. The vast majority of people driving around pay no attention to the brand or model of cars around them, they have their minds on way more important things or are looking at their phone.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 9:18am   #2883
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
So it's your contention that "most" people driving around the Orlando area know what a Plaid is and can tell by looking?

That is complete, utter, pure BS. The vast majority of people driving around pay no attention to the brand or model of cars around them, they have their minds on way more important things or are looking at their phone.
Not most people. Most people who have performance cars. Most people buy performance vehicles because they like performance and many watch racing videos on youtube/facebook. If you are into racing/performance driving, you will be watching youtube/facebook/tik tok etc. and you eventually will see cars getting their butt handed to them by Plaids..
A soccer mom in a Minivan probably won't know what a Plaid is but the soccer mom won't be into racing anyways.
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 9:23am   #2884
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Most people driving around have no clue what a Plaid is, or that there's even such a thing. If you're still "red light racing" you seriously need to grow up.
Imagine being a grown ass man bragging about racing on the street.

That's absolutely f**king pathetic.

I can deal with stupid arguments. I can deal with absolute ignorance. I can deal with many things... but I don't deal with idiot f**king douchebags who think racing on the street makes them cool.

I'm out.
Old 05-08-2024, 9:25am   #2885
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 92.6%

Thanked 8,217 Times in 4,070 Posts

I can't recognize a Plaid and I've been an auto professional all my life.

They don't interest me at all, so I pay no attention to Teslas.

Only to note that lately, Tesla drivers have eclipsed BMW drivers as assholes on the road.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 9:28am   #2886
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
All of that is completely irrelevant to the original point. I admittedly deviated from it as well.

The original point is that piece of shit brakes feel like piece of shit brakes. A car with a bad suspension drives like a car with a bad suspension. You don't have to be on a race track to feel the difference. You don't have to be on the limit at insane speeds to feel the difference.

Driving a car is an experience. It's a feel. We get it, you can't tell the difference. That's fine. "Adequate" is your benchmark. Great. Your Tesla is the perfect car for you. It drives like shit. It feels like shit. It gives absolutely zero feedback. ... but yes, it is indeed "adequate".

You have your preferences. That's fine. "Performance" to you means driving in a straight line and absolutely nothing else. Great. You can't tell the difference between a good suspension and a bad one. You can't tell the difference between good brakes and garbage. You think the only difference is on a race track driving at the limit. Again, that's perfectly ok, but your ignorance doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. On a spec sheet, a $10 Timex tells you the time just like a Rolex. That doesn't mean there's no difference.

Your continued insistence that there is not a difference... because you don't f**king know any better, because you can't tell... is absolutely ignorant.
If you drive within reasonable speed passively, you won't see much difference. I have owned many performance vehicles. If I did a turn with my Ferrari Testarossa at the 20 mph speed limit, I won't get any benefit of the great suspension. If I do the same turn at 50 mph, you will be able to appreciate the handling as the Testarossa will handle the turn at the higher speed like it is on rails while other cars would have a hard time.. I'm talking about normal, not performance driving. Your vehicles suspension/brakes.
If you drive curves at the speed limit, you will see very very little difference. The fater you'll make turns, the more benefit of the performance suspension you will experience. If I drive on my daily commute in slow traffic with a Z51 Vette, my experience won't be much difference than if I drive in a Chevy Malibu. Your experience changes as you go faster as that's when the benefits of the better suspension kick in. Going at the speed limit, the only difference you feel is that sport suspension is more bumpy.. I remember my Testarossa.. You could feel any bump in the road as the car was extremely tight.
Old 05-08-2024, 9:30am   #2887
Steve_R
A Real Barner

Quote:
I only admit to it as it's past the statute of limitation by now.. That was 21 years ago..
I actually haven't red light raced for over a year now. Not so much because I don't want to but mostly because most people can now identify a Plaid and don't want to get embarrassed. Nobody wants to race me anymore
Quote:
I do virtually all my racing at the drag strip. As I said, it rarely ever happens that I race at a light..
Around here, most know what a Plaid is. Anyone who watches youtube racing videos.. My youtube and facebook feed is full of races between cars and there are many where gas cars get embarrassed by a Plaid. Of course, there are races where the Plaid loses, like roll racing against a 1800 HP R8 etc.. Not too many 1800 HP cars on the road
Quote:
Not most people. Most people who have performance cars. Most people buy performance vehicles because they like performance and many watch racing videos on youtube/facebook. If you are into racing/performance driving, you will be watching youtube/facebook/tik tok etc. and you eventually will see cars getting their butt handed to them by Plaids..
A soccer mom in a Minivan probably won't know what a Plaid is but the soccer mom won't be into racing anyways.
You're nothing if not inconsistent. Words matter.

I've owned performance cars for decades. I've raced for decades. I don't watch YT videos of racing. I've never been on FaceBook or TikTok either. I have yet to see a video of a car getting their butt handed to them by any model of Tesla on an actual road course race. There are many types of racing beyond drag racing or "test & tune" days. You should broaden your horizons.
Old 05-08-2024, 9:34am   #2888
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
You're nothing if not inconsistent. Words matter.

I've owned performance cars for decades. I've raced for decades. I don't watch YT videos of racing. I've never been on FaceBook or TikTok either. I have yet to see a video of a car getting their butt handed to them by any model of Tesla on an actual road course race. There are many types of racing beyond drag racing or "test & tune" days. You should broaden your horizons.
OBVIOUSLY, I meant people with performance vehicles. It's irrelevant if people with slow cars know or don't know what a Plaid is as they wont' race it anyways. Those who are into fast cars will very likely watch racing videos.. Why would someone mod their car to make it faster? To brag about the Horspower number? I doubt it, most that mod their cars do it either for the track or the street. My posts were related that no PERFORMANCE CARS want to race me anymore. If people who would not race anyone anyways know or dont' know what a Plaid is is irrelevant when it comes to that. What matters is that those who like to race know or don't know.
There are people even at the drag strip that refuse to line up with a Plaid.
They don't want to be embarrrassed by losing to a Fridge..
Old 05-08-2024, 9:37am   #2889
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,825 Times in 4,945 Posts

Quote:
I only admit to it as it's past the statute of limitation by now.. That was 21 years ago..
I actually haven't red light raced for over a year now. Not so much because I don't want to but mostly because most people can now identify a Plaid and don't want to get embarrassed. Nobody wants to race me anymore
As stated in other post, the wifey's bone-stock 91K miles CT5 routinely beats lambos and ferraris off most red lights.
Onebadcad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 9:38am   #2890
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Imagine being a grown ass man bragging about racing on the street.

That's absolutely f**king pathetic.

I can deal with stupid arguments. I can deal with absolute ignorance. I can deal with many things... but I don't deal with idiot f**king douchebags who think racing on the street makes them cool.

I'm out.
There is no maximum age for that. Brooks Weisblat (DragTimes) is about my age and he is known to performance drive on the street.. Many Supercar owners are older as not too many young people can afford a Lambo/Mclaren etc.
Old 05-08-2024, 9:38am   #2891
Steve_R
A Real Barner

Attached Images

Old 05-08-2024, 9:40am   #2892
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,825 Times in 4,945 Posts

Quote:
Very HOT, and shots of her rack??
Onebadcad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 9:40am   #2893
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadcad View Post
As stated in other post, the wifey's bone-stock 91K miles CT5 routinely beats lambos and ferraris off most red lights.
CT5 is a fast car and has about the same HP as most Lambos/Ferraris.
Old 05-08-2024, 9:44am   #2894
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 92.6%

Thanked 8,217 Times in 4,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadcad View Post
Saw a cool youtube video last night of a young black guy in FLA getting pulled over in a Lambo Hurrican and it comes up stolen. So he books it, while the cop has his driver's license in his hand. He hits 113 mph in about a block in some cramped downtown area and in about 1.5 seconds hits a tree in the median so hard it uproots the tree and cuts the Lambo into many, many pieces. Took the cops about 5 minutes to find the guy....he was about a half block up the street, dead on the sidewalk. They blurred red out but he was toast. Man those pasta rockets grenade when you ram them into stuff at speed.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 10:02am   #2895
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Thanked 34,345 Times in 13,936 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

I could be easily convinced to buy an EV. All it would take is for someone to start reproducing classics with electric motors.

57 Chevy
58 Chevy
34 Ford
40 Ford

Any of these at a reasonable price and I'd save pennies
Aerovette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 10:57am   #2896
CurtP
A Real Barner
Activity: 5.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
I could be easily convinced to buy an EV. All it would take is for someone to start reproducing classics with electric motors.

57 Chevy
58 Chevy
34 Ford
40 Ford

Any of these at a reasonable price and I'd save pennies
Sacrilegious, but:

https://electricgt.com/shop/gte-413-ecrate-system
https://www.webbmotorworks.com
https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/ecrate
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 11:04am   #2897
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

I said I was out, but this is too stupid to ignore.

Quote:
Going at the speed limit, the only difference you feel is that sport suspension is more bumpy..
No. That's all that YOU can feel. Your ignorance is astounding. I'm actually trying to imagine someone so f**king ignorant that the only thing they take away from a Testarossa is "bumpy".

"Enthusiast"

Quote:
There is no maximum age for that. Brooks Weisblat (DragTimes) is about my age and he is known to performance drive on the street.. Many Supercar owners are older as not too many young people can afford a Lambo/Mclaren etc.
It seems that just like everything else, you managed to miss the point. Bragging about racing on the street is pathetic. It's pathetic if you're a 20 year old who doesn't know any better. It's beyond pathetic when you're a grown ass man. It's just as pathetic that you sit around watching youtube videos. Grow the f**k up. Most people figure that out pretty quickly. You... you did not. You still think it makes you cool. It doesn't. Posting a video of other pathetic dipshits doesn't change that.

I don't know who that guy is and I don't care. If he does race on the street, I sincerely hope that he wraps his pathetic ass around a phone pole. If you race on the street, same to you. Hopefully someone posts a video of it. You're about as much of an "enthusiast" as the idiots that go around doing donuts running over each other.

It's not "performance driving on the street". It's f**king street racing.

Say it out loud. Stop goddamn minimizing it.

Before you start whatever pathetic ass justification of it you think you have, I really don't care. Yea, street racing is something I won't tolerate. I stood over the closed caskets of a very good friend and his pregnant wife who got killed by f**king douche bags who just like you, didn't give a shit about anybody but themselves. Who just like you thought that they were somehow better at it. Who just like you, thought that their car made them cool.

So yea, you can f**k all the way off.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:09am   #2898
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Thanked 34,345 Times in 13,936 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

$69.000.00
Aerovette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 11:12am   #2899
CurtP
A Real Barner
Activity: 5.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
$69.000.00
Yeah, but no more paying for gas and you can hang out at charging stations for hours!
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CurtP For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 11:58am   #2900
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
I said I was out, but this is too stupid to ignore.

No. That's all that YOU can feel. Your ignorance is astounding. I'm actually trying to imagine someone so f**king ignorant that the only thing they take away from a Testarossa is "bumpy".

"Enthusiast"

It seems that just like everything else, you managed to miss the point. Bragging about racing on the street is pathetic. It's pathetic if you're a 20 year old who doesn't know any better. It's beyond pathetic when you're a grown ass man. It's just as pathetic that you sit around watching youtube videos. Grow the f**k up. Most people figure that out pretty quickly. You... you did not. You still think it makes you cool. It doesn't. Posting a video of other pathetic dipshits doesn't change that.

I don't know who that guy is and I don't care. If he does race on the street, I sincerely hope that he wraps his pathetic ass around a phone pole. If you race on the street, same to you. Hopefully someone posts a video of it. You're about as much of an "enthusiast" as the idiots that go around doing donuts running over each other.

It's not "performance driving on the street". It's f**king street racing.

Say it out loud. Stop goddamn minimizing it.

Before you start whatever pathetic ass justification of it you think you have, I really don't care. Yea, street racing is something I won't tolerate. I stood over the closed caskets of a very good friend and his pregnant wife who got killed by f**king douche bags who just like you, didn't give a shit about anybody but themselves. Who just like you thought that they were somehow better at it. Who just like you, thought that their car made them cool.

So yea, you can f**k all the way off.
So, people buy fast cars to drive the speed limit? Really, what is the point of having a fast car if you don't engage in some kind of activity to actually take advantage of it's performance? Most of the time, I see a Lambo, even if they are not racing someone, they often weave in and out of heavy traffic and accelerating like crazy whenever they can. I take my car to the drag strip frequently but many people use their car's power on the street. Many of the Supercar drivers drive like maniacs on the street and they are not even racing anyone most of the time.

Sure, some buy those cars to get ***** or to show status but there are many who buy those cars because they want to enjoy their performance.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic