PDA

View Full Version : Steele to run for re-election ?

Exotix
12-13-2010, 9:21pm
RNC Chair Steele to run for re-election.

Republican insiders had thought the embattled GOP chair would bow out.

RNC Chair Steele to run for re-election - Politics - More politics - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40642336/ns/politics-more_politics/)

WASHINGTON — Embattled GOP Chairman Michael Steele is telling Republican National Committee members that he's running for re-election.

That's according to several participants listening to a conference call Monday night between Steele and the 168-member committee.
They spoke on the condition of anonymity because the call was private.

The RNC will vote in January on whether to grant Steele a second two-year term or choose a successor from a multicandidate field.

Steele has watched his once strong support within the RNC rank and file all but evaporate during a first term that has been marked by allegations of financial mismanagement and verbal missteps.

The latest person to formally announce a candidacy: Maria Cino, a New York native who served in the Bush administration and planned the party's 2008 nominating convention.

"We need to turn our party around to reach its full potential," she said in a weekend letter to the 168-member Republican National Committee.

(Read continues in Link)

Steele's Top 10 gaffes

First Read - Steele's Top 10 gaffes (http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/12/13/5642285-steeles-top-10-gaffes)

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele speaks in Washington. Steele could disclose late Monday whether he'll seek re-election to the two-year post as several challengers line up to try to succeed him.

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/ap/gop%20chairman-1414420171_v2.grid-6x2.jpg

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 9:26pm
He’s going to find out in a Microsecond who his real friends are. :D

Z06PDQ
12-13-2010, 9:28pm
"they got a black man,so we do too" is over. so long Steele. :seeya:

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:29pm
He’s going to find out in a Microsecond who his real friends are. :D

Politics !!!!!! Who cares???????? I am an Aussie eh !!!!!! :D

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 9:31pm
Exotic, you have to start being careful where you walk; you may turn over a Rock. :lolsmile:

Peter Pan
12-13-2010, 9:32pm
He did lead the record turnover in the House and I like what he has done overall, to bad I have already seen the black being stated in the thread, after all the president is half whitehttp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/elsloan22/Holiday%20Gifs/jesusrea.gif

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-13-2010, 9:33pm
Exotic, you have to start being careful where you walk; you may turn over a Rock. :lolsmile:

I'd also be careful about following each other.....never know what you might step in. No matter how carefully you clean it off your shoes there's always a tiny bit left to smell up the place. :D

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 9:35pm
I'd also be careful about following each other.....never know what you might step in. No matter how carefully you clean it off your shoes there's always a tiny bit left to smell up the place. :D

The only person I follow is my Wife … and that’s because I’m chasing. :D

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:35pm

Its OK guys. I bought Kitty litter last night. :D

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:37pm
The only person I follow is my Wife … and that’s because I’m chasing. :D

I never follow anyone. Make my own mind up eh!!!!!!!!
But then I aint the sharpest tool in the shed either. :D

Peter Pan
12-13-2010, 9:37pm
Its OK guys. I bought Kitty litter last night. :D

:rofl::rofl::rep:

Exotix
12-13-2010, 9:38pm

I was just watching a clip of Steele pizzed off at his constituency pizzed off at Steele ...

He was actually discussing what he called ... *that rationale* ...

For some reason I was reminded of Ponch over on D.C. ... :lolsmile:

http://www.morethings.com/fan/in_living_color/homey_the_clown-320.jpg

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:40pm
I was just watching a clip of Steele pizzed off at his constituency pizzed off at Steele ...

You made a mistake Exotix. Better go and fix it quick before anyone see's it eh!!!!!!! :D

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 9:40pm

Yep ... :D

And Ponch Avatar always gets me laughing :lolsmile:

I bet it even looks like him. :D

Exotix
12-13-2010, 9:43pm

That's it ! .. that's why I was reminded of 'em ... talk about morbid subliminal ... :lolsmile:

http://i54.tinypic.com/20p4zew.jpg

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:44pm

I need cliff notes for that one Chas. You know I aint the sharpest tool in the shed eh......... :D

Exotix
12-13-2010, 9:45pm
You made a mistake Exotix. Better go and fix it quick before anyone see's it eh!!!!!!! :D

I don't see it ... try using a bigger font ... http://i51.tinypic.com/3515rp5.jpg

Tinkerbell in Texas
12-13-2010, 9:46pm
I don't see it ... try using a bigger font ... http://i51.tinypic.com/3515rp5.jpg

Yeah but we already established that your eyesight was really bad..... :D

ChasC5
12-13-2010, 9:48pm
I need cliff notes for that one Chas. You know I aint the sharpest tool in the shed eh......... :D

Go to Digital Corvette/News ... you can't miss him. :D

Just ask a question, he knows everything ... really, just ask him. :lolsmile:

Just look for Poncherello and cfpreacher :lolsmile:

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:54pm
Go to Digital Corvette/News ... you can't miss him. :D

Just ask a question, he knows everything ... really, just ask him. :lolsmile:

Just look for Poncherello and cfpreacher :lolsmile:

I am not a member there so when I get bored here maybe. Come to think of it it is getting boring. Get those juices going again Chas eh!!!!!!! The thrill of the chase eh......... :D

Kneel 8250
12-13-2010, 9:56pm

:rofl: :D

Exotix
12-14-2010, 10:02am
Michael Steele: My job is to win back the White House in 2012

Today

Michael Steele: 'My job is to win back the White House in 2012' (http://www.thegrio.com/politics/michael-steele-my-job-is-to-win-back-the-white-house-in-2012.php)

Michael Steele announced on a conference call Monday evening that he plans to run for a 2nd term as chairman of the Republican National Committee next year.
Amid some confusion and previous reports to the contrary, Steele confirmed that he did indeed hope to hold onto the position that has brought some controversy to the party in his first term in office.

On Monday night, Steele spoke with theGrio.com's Sophia Nelson about his upcoming bid.

theGrio: Michael, I have know you a long time so I was a bit surprised at earlier new reports that you would not run again for chairman. I see that in fact you are going to seek a 2nd term. What made you decide to run against what may see as very challenging odds for you?

Michael Steele: I have to admit I was somewhat amused by news reports that suggested I was not going to run.
No-one asked me.

You know, in Washington there is always chatter around these type of political situations.
But I was the decision maker here, and I made the decision after much consideration and counsel with my team.

To say I was going to step aside was speculation on the part of those who want this job.
I am running again because we have a great team here at the RNC that has worked very hard and done a great job over the past two years taking us from a minority party to now the majority party in the House of Representatives, but the most important reason I am going to run again is because I believe passionately in the opportunities that lay ahead of us as a country.

I believe the Republican party has something to offer the American people.

We have an opportunity to be a part of their lives in a way that is impactful and positive.
The fight ahead is about the direction of this country.

Will we be a nation that replaces ingenuity with government programs and bureaucracy or will we free the American people to thrive and build a better future for their families.

There are a lot of people who apparently do not want to see you re-elected as Chairman -- let me be direct do you have the votes to win re-election at the winter meeting in January ?

I am very confident in and comfortable with the vote count we have right now.
We had a good call tonight and I think we may have added to that vote tally some who were undecided.
I feel good about where we are and where we will be next month.

Gov. Haley Barbour and others have been pretty vocal about their desire to see you ousted as Chairman.
Why do you think that is, and why did high profile Republicans like Karl Rove, Ed Gillespie and Haley Barbour direct people not to give money to the RNC and give to their PACS instead?

Has that ever happened before?

To answer your first question you would have to ask them.
I cannot answer that for you.

But look there are people who want this job.
And it has very little do with their vision for the party and more to do about who controls dollars, vendors, and favors at the national level.
That is my political reality.

There was an active effort from the day I became chairman to steer dollars away from the RNC.
Supposedly this was out of concern.
But if these individuals were concerned why didn't they call me, or offer to help?
And when I called them, why didn't they step up?
This has never happened before to an RNC Chairman.

Let's talk about the finances of the RNC.
Where are you and how does it look for 2011?

We raised $179 million dollars in the past two years--that is 37 percent more than the Democrats raised in 2006 when they were in our same position before taking over the Congress. Yes, we have debt.

All committees have debt--about $14 million worth and the Democrats had about the same, even though they had all three branches of government they only out raised us by $12 million dollars.

We have an aggressive plan to retire the debt in 2011 and we will get it done.
This stuff you hear about financial mismanagement is just a talking point from my political opponents.

I do not fly around in jets.
Nor do I stay in 5 star hotels--I stay at the Marriott.

That rogue employee who used $2,000 to go to a gentlemen's club was fired immediately and the money was repaid to the committee.

Now, some of our finance events have been held at very exclusive venues because they prefer that type of atmosphere for big donors, but there has been no mismanagement of funds.

We are in exactly the same position debt wise we were in during the 1996 cycle when we had about $10 million in debt--and that was a bad cycle for us--we had a very successful cycle so the line of credit we borrowed (at the urging of committee members) was a good investment in our future as a party.

Last night on 60 Minutes speaker-elect John Boehner was interviewed and asked about the Republican 'compromise' on the tax cut issue -- and is he willing to "compromise."
Boehner said he was interested in finding "common ground."

What do you think about this as the RNC Chairman and as the man who wants that job again in January?
Are you willing to compromise with the White House and Democrats?

That is not my role as Chairman anymore.

We now have a governing majority in one body of the Congress, and we have a closer margin in the Senate.

It is up to Speaker Boehner and others to set the tone and direction of what the GOP will do now.

My job is different.
My job is to support and prepare the party for 2012 and victories at the presidential and Senate level.

What many do not grasp is that for the past two years as RNC Chairman I had to play a different role--as the leader--as the head of the Republican Party.
That was my job.

Now my job is to not be as visible on TV, radio (although I will certainly do my part to communicate our message well), etc.
My job is to provide support and counsel when asked by the Congressional leadership to do so.
My job is to help us win the White House back in 2012 and we are going to do that.

What are you proud of as chairman and how different will a second Michael Steele administration at the RNC look like in 2011-2012?

I believe we laid the groundwork. Good seeds were planted. We started building "farm teams".

This party is living up to its potential as a big tent party we had historic gains with women, minorities in the governorships, in the Congress and in state legislatures.

I plan to win, but if I am unsuccessful I hope that my successor will have the courage to speak to all people in all places of this nation and bring our message to them.
I did this as Chairman with my great team at the RNC.
I started my chairmanship in Harlem.

The Republican party has to step outside of its comfort zone and learn to talk with all people, everywhere.
We did this very well and I am proud.

To answer your 2nd question, I am focused on what I like to call "turning the elephant"--which is that the party has to confront its own shortcomings.

We have started to do that slowly but steadily and I don't want to see us go back.

I want to leave a 2nd term legacy of having built a great farm team--a bench if you will, and having helped us as a party return to our core principles.

The elephant (Republicans) must face its future.

We have some hard days ahead of us as Americans if we don't return to our core principles of smaller government and freedom of the people.

We have to reconnect with those principles and I think we are headed in that direction.
I want the republicans at the state and local levels to be financially independent of us here in Washington.

We can help augment their needs and campaigns, but 527s can help with that, too.
I don't want people waiting in line to serve their nation in political office.

If I can achieve these simple things I will have served my purpose well.

How enchanting ... let's see how your schmooze plays out going up against Greta ...

RNC Chairman Steele: GOP Needs to 'Get Outside Its Comfort Zone' - FoxNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/on-the-record/transcript/rnc-chairman-steele-gop-needs-039get-outside-its-comfort-zone039)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2qmkk5c.jpg

Kneel 8250
12-14-2010, 10:06am
OMG !!!!!!!! A post that is on topic in the correct thread !!!!!!!!

Well done Exotix !!!!!!!! My chest is bursting with pride !!!!!!!!

(Thats to let Chas in eh) :D

Exotix
12-14-2010, 10:14am
OMG !!!!!!!! A post that is on topic in the correct thread !!!!!!!!

Well done Exotix !!!!!!!! My chest is bursting with pride !!!!!!!!

(Thats to let Chas in eh) :D

C'mon ... I dragged Greta into it ... certainly that's a siren for some of you right-wingers to get excited ... yes ?

http://i55.tinypic.com/fehoo9.jpg

ChasC5
12-14-2010, 10:30am
Steel's time has come and gone.

But you have to admit … he’s still Cool!

If he hasn’t lost his ability for rhythm yet, he can go on Dancing With The Stars.

:D

Kneel 8250
12-14-2010, 10:32am
C'mon ... I dragged Greta into it ... certainly that's a siren for some of you right-wingers to get excited ... yes ?

I dont do American politics. Cliff notes please!!!!!!!!! :D

Exotix
12-14-2010, 10:38am

Cliff notes are: How does Greta keep a straight face when doing a Steele interview ?

ChasC5
12-14-2010, 10:42am

You're lucky; Don't Start. :cheers:

Peter Pan
12-14-2010, 11:02am
Steel's time has come and gone.

Just like Obama now making deals without talking to the Dem leadership, he put them in the back of the bus:rofl:

ChasC5
12-14-2010, 11:48am
Just like Obama now making deals without talking to the Dem leadership, he put them in the back of the bus:rofl:

So is sitting in the Back of the Buss, now is an unfair thing? :confused5:

As of when? :D

Kneel 8250
12-14-2010, 11:52am

Wait Wait Wait !!!!!!!!! Let me go back and get your quote from last week. :D

Dont ya just love it Chas???????
I aint the sharpest tool in the shed but man you just gotta stop putting your foot in it........ :D

Peter Pan
12-14-2010, 11:53am

When you exclude one side from law making you get laws the majority of Americans are not for, Obamacare comes to mind here:yesnod:

ChasC5
12-14-2010, 12:05pm
When you exclude one side from law making you get laws the majority of Americans are not for, Obamacare comes to mind here:yesnod:

Then we should Vote for it and be done with it ...

Oh wait, didn't the Dem want to do that already?

Peter Pan
12-14-2010, 2:44pm
Put the, now very public about the details, Obamacare bill to a vote of the American public? Them Dems really want to do that? Since when?

The Dems do not want Americans to vote for any bill, just for them so they can give them freebies and run up the defict to unsustained levels:yesnod: