Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2023, 11:38pm   #41
Slo Yelo C5
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 16.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Update:

I called GM corporate today to file a complaint. They said that due to the known manufacturing/engineering defect on the car, it **may** be eligible for GM corporate "re-purchase**. She said I'll get a call in 5 days from that team at GM.

What is that exactly? They offer me $0.07 on the dollar? I can't wait to hear this scam.

Lord knows GM would never do anything honest or reputable to help out a screwed over customer who has purchased 8 of their vehicles in the past 20 years.

Never again.
Slo Yelo C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slo Yelo C5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 6:38am   #42
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 35.6%

Thanked 11,012 Times in 5,142 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wathen1955 View Post
I'm not a gear nut like most of you, but I did receive some tips when I was in my 20's from a hot rod racer I meet when I was racing go-karts. At that time in 1980, I had a 1971 El Camino with a small block 350. I also had a 1967 VW Bug. He told me to substitute on of the cans of oil with ATF which I did in both cars. At 250,000 miles on the El Camino, it started to burn anti freeze water from the thin head gasket on cylinder #1 if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I took it in to have it worked on, but the mechanic told me that with that many miles on the car, it will need a valve job and other potential fixes. Two days later, he calls me on the phone and wanted to know what I did to the engine. I then asked why - what else is broken? He said they pulled the heads off and there was no carbon build up, valves were very clean. So all they had to do was to replace the head gasket. Prior to the repair, it never burned any oil.

On my VW Bug, I did the same for several years, until I finally took the motor apart to increase the CC's from 1500 stock to 1650 with kits that you can buy that were ready to bolt on. When I took it apart, again the inside was very clean with no carbon build up.

Talking with another mechanic that worked on my cars in the 80's and 90's, he did not recommend that method on newer cars. He said its probably okay about 50 miles before you decide to change the oil is to add some ATF then change the oil.

Anyone else ever run ATF with regular oil? Today's oil's are a lot different than years ago. My 2016 Subaru Outback runs 0-20 weight which when changed, I use only Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

As for buying newer American cars today, I'm not sold on any of them. I'm retired so I need a car that is reliable. My wife's 2013 Honda CRV has been perfect. Only tires and brakes were replaced at 60k, and plugs at 100k with a radiator flush.
I was amazed reading this because at 17 or so a really good friend and mechanic also told me the same thing ! In my 67 Mustang 289 whenever I changed the oil I used 1 can of ATF also and I never had a problem...! I also wondered if it would be a good thing to do these days or not.
04 commemorative is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 04 commemorative For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 9:24am   #43
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,610 Times in 761 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $173

So, a story:

On 12 August 2023, I took delivery of a 2024 Chevy 2500 HD. I had to take it back to them on 28 August. The Allison 10 speed Transmission failed. 806 miles. Awesome, right? It gets worse. For the first month GM Customer Service was zero help. I would call them for an update on the status of the transmission, they would call the dealer, who was waiting from an update from...GM. Notice I said, I would call them, because, they never once called me during that first month. Even when I left messages for them to do so. I had to chase them.

Fast forward another 2 weeks. I send them a legal letter giving them 15 days to do something, anything. Well, today is the deadline. Yesterday, they called me an offered to replace it. Said call the dealer and see if they have one in stock. Called dealer, nope. Called GM told them, nope. They said, quote "well look at other dealers local and find one." I said, no you (GM) find one. They said, that's not how "the process" works.

*sigh*

**** GM Customer Service. They can eat a bag of dicks. Most useless bunch of shitbags I've ever dealt with. Called a lawyer, waiting for call back. Still trying to figure out how this became my problem to fix.
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PortDawg For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 10:41am   #44
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,452 Times in 17,245 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortDawg View Post
So, a story:

On 12 August 2023, I took delivery of a 2024 Chevy 2500 HD. I had to take it back to them on 28 August. The Allison 10 speed Transmission failed. 806 miles. Awesome, right? It gets worse. For the first month GM Customer Service was zero help. I would call them for an update on the status of the transmission, they would call the dealer, who was waiting from an update from...GM. Notice I said, I would call them, because, they never once called me during that first month. Even when I left messages for them to do so. I had to chase them.

Fast forward another 2 weeks. I send them a legal letter giving them 15 days to do something, anything. Well, today is the deadline. Yesterday, they called me an offered to replace it. Said call the dealer and see if they have one in stock. Called dealer, nope. Called GM told them, nope. They said, quote "well look at other dealers local and find one." I said, no you (GM) find one. They said, that's not how "the process" works.

*sigh*

**** GM Customer Service. They can eat a bag of dicks. Most useless bunch of shitbags I've ever dealt with. Called a lawyer, waiting for call back. Still trying to figure out how this became my problem to fix.
Sounds like they are running so tight with production that they aren't producing extra parts to address issues like yours.

You have an offer to replace it, an even swap, I assume, so you should search for a moderately better equipped truck than the one that you bought, same color, same body style, same power train, just with more options, and submit that to GM and tell them that's a close as YOU were able to find and tell them that would be an acceptable even swap. They can resell your original truck when they eventually have the parts to fix it. Or find a much better equipped truck, say, a loaded High Country trim level truck and offer that as an acceptable even trade, and you won't bring in a lemon law claim, which would taint your current truck and devalue what it could be sold for even more than it has to be because it would now be a used truck.

The fact that they made the offer to replace tells you they know they can't fix it in a timely manner. I would think that weak position, combined with the possibility of a lemon law situation would encourage them to just get out of the problem as quickly as possible.

Keep us informed.

Edit: A friend of mine bought a lemon law'ed (yes, intentional word creation) Mini Cooper that was returned because of engine vibration issues that apparently couldn't be resolved. Mini eventually put a brand new engine and transmission in it, and my friend had zero problems with the car, and got a great deal on it. Of course, the money she saved on the front end, will bite her on the back end, as the car will always be branded with the scarlet L on the title, which, like a rebuilt title, many run away from.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:13am   #45
09CTSV
Charter Member
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,686 Times in 652 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2106426

I haven't looked at GM in a while. The problems I have had prior to 2018 have been crazy. Two Z06's which were a pile of shit, two CTSV's which were also large pile of shit, a Denali which had transmission issues from the second day I owned it. Every manufacturer has their issues, GM buries theirs in owners pocket books. They refuse to deal with anything and by the time you get to the lemon law, you want to just get rid of the flaming pile of shit as fast as you can.
Our Conversion van so far has been okay. It is a 21 and if I could have gotten something else with the V8 and room, I would have taken it.
The Jeep and now the Durango have been trouble free. I thought I would never say that about a Dodge product.
Like others, I bought GM since I was 18, Dad bought them forever as well. I don't anymore. GM = Garbage Machine.
09CTSV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 09CTSV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 10:33pm   #46
Slo Yelo C5
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
So, a story:

*sigh*

Sounds like what I've battled with them.

Today I called them. They told me my Equinox is "out of the special extended warranty period covering the piston rings". I told them that was fine, except the class action requirement (per the court filing agreed upon by GM) was that all owners are to receive notification by mail of the extended warranty period and I never got a notification and therefore couldn't file during the extended warranty period because I didn't know the coverage existed.

They told me they mailed me a warranty letter. I said "that's funny... because the car is titled to my girlfriend. So you mailed me a warranty letter even though I have no ownership of the vehicle?"

Then they backtracked and said "we sent it to her at (insert address here)". I said "that's hilarious... because the warranty period for us was 2019-2021 and we didn't move to that address until 2022. So you mailed a letter expired in 2021...during the 2022 calendar year...for an already ending warranty period to let us know yo fix our car after the warranty period ends?"

Then the GM BS Rep said..."look...it's not covered".

Since I live 15 miles from Delaware and they are a Delaware corporation, I am going to file a Delaware complaint (law suit) in DE. Easiest dismissal motion is wrong venue. They can't claim that if filed in Delaware.

Then I'll just keep filing and make them spend 10+ hour responding to court filings just to be as difficult as they are. GM is the worst company for customer service on the planet.

I swear, they just say anything. I honest to God think that unless you have a lawyer, they just do 100% denial on absolutely everything.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:35pm   #47
Slo Yelo C5
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09CTSV View Post
I haven't looked at GM in a while. The problems I have had prior to 2018 have been crazy. Two Z06's which were a pile of shit, two CTSV's which were also large pile of shit, a Denali which had transmission issues from the second day I owned it. Every manufacturer has their issues, GM buries theirs in owners pocket books. They refuse to deal with anything and by the time you get to the lemon law, you want to just get rid of the flaming pile of shit as fast as you can.
Our Conversion van so far has been okay. It is a 21 and if I could have gotten something else with the V8 and room, I would have taken it.
The Jeep and now the Durango have been trouble free. I thought I would never say that about a Dodge product.
Like others, I bought GM since I was 18, Dad bought them forever as well. I don't anymore. GM = Garbage Machine.

After them not creating a solution for C5s (EBCM) and then telling me to "buy a new Vette - they're like microwaves and become obsolete" and not fixing our falling apart Equinox, ill never buy a GM ever again. They absolutely suck. The absolute worst on the planet.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:40pm   #48
Anjdog2003
Due to inflation they are no longer free
Activity: 70.5%

Thanked 25,788 Times in 10,045 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $324490

The last GM car or American car i bought was in 1999
Anjdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:55pm   #49
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118
Activity: 55.8%

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,185 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5 View Post
I have to say...

...I will never buy a GM product again.

Girlfriend owns a 2013 Equinox with the 4 cylinder Equinox. The car only has 65k miles, so it's not too old. Oil changes every 3,500 or less miles, no accidents, all other fluids changed, etc

About 3-4 years of Equinox have this horrible design flaws due to bad piston rings. Some units seem okay, the one behind that unit on the assembly line blows a motor. Perfectly normal.

There was a class action on these in ~2018 and GM agreed to extend power train warranty to first of 10 years/100k miles. So ours is out of warranty.

It guzzles oil. Guzzles it. Reservoir holds 5 (or 5.5?) quarts of oil. I just had it topped off 60 days ago. In 1,500 miles it burned about 2.5-3 quarts of oil. Incredible.

I called GM. Despite the design flaws, there's nothing they're willing to do. So we either trade it in on massive loss or put a quart of oil every 400-800 miles in it. Complete joke.

This is why I will never buy a GM again. They have design flaws in nearly EVERY single vehicle they build and sue, deflect, etc to not take responsibility. My C5 only has 27k miles. I worry about EBCM, SWPS, etc. No replacements, no help from GM. Just "buy another" is their response. Complete garbage and exactly why they lose buyers every single year.

Anybody else experienced the same and left GM? What did you start buying instead?

Back in 2010 I bought a new Chevy HHR with the Ecotec . I believe the Equinox had the same motor. Ran like a swiss watch. I'm a warranty guy and when it was over, I traded if for a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Bought the wife one at the same time too.

10 yrs 100k miles plus extensions. So moving along, wife doesn't use hers much and has 15k on it. Mine has 98k. I've onlyhad a couple things go wrong, and covered.

I had the hybrid battery fail last month. $10,000 yet covered but not much left on the warranty so the smart thing to do was trade it off and got the deal I wanted on the Hyundai Santa Fe.

slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 7:00am   #50
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,453 Times in 10,612 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
So, a story:

*sigh*

Damn that sucks.
Lemon Law that truck and get your money back. Go buy a Ford Super Duty.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 2:10pm   #51
Slo Yelo C5
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Damn that sucks.
Lemon Law that truck and get your money back. Go buy a Ford Super Duty.
Nah. Buy a Ram!
Old 10-18-2023, 2:13pm   #52
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Nah. Buy a Ram!
I like the Ram trucks. Had a couple myself. And have a good friend who has a new 2500 Long Horn that is very nice.

But the Ford Super Duty has a few features not available on any other truck. And my 2021 F250 has been flawless so far. Best truck I have ever owned.
Old 10-18-2023, 2:21pm   #53
BRUIZER
A Real Barner
Activity: 4.7%

Thanked 1,425 Times in 623 Posts

GM sells more trucks than Dodge and Ford.
GM sells more large SUV's than any other mfg...by twice the volume.. at least.

But they suck.
BRUIZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 2:23pm   #54
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUIZER View Post
GM sells more trucks than Dodge and Ford.
GM sells more large SUV's than any other mfg...by twice the volume.. at least.

But they suck.
I had good luck with the many GM trucks I owned in the past. And I actually like the looks of the newest GMC & Chevy pickups.
Old 10-18-2023, 2:25pm   #55
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,452 Times in 17,245 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Sounds like what I've battled with them.

Today I called them. They told me my Equinox is "out of the special extended warranty period covering the piston rings". I told them that was fine, except the class action requirement (per the court filing agreed upon by GM) was that all owners are to receive notification by mail of the extended warranty period and I never got a notification and therefore couldn't file during the extended warranty period because I didn't know the coverage existed.

They told me they mailed me a warranty letter. I said "that's funny... because the car is titled to my girlfriend. So you mailed me a warranty letter even though I have no ownership of the vehicle?"

Then they backtracked and said "we sent it to her at (insert address here)". I said "that's hilarious... because the warranty period for us was 2019-2021 and we didn't move to that address until 2022. So you mailed a letter expired in 2021...during the 2022 calendar year...for an already ending warranty period to let us know yo fix our car after the warranty period ends?"

Then the GM BS Rep said..."look...it's not covered".

Since I live 15 miles from Delaware and they are a Delaware corporation, I am going to file a Delaware complaint (law suit) in DE. Easiest dismissal motion is wrong venue. They can't claim that if filed in Delaware.

Then I'll just keep filing and make them spend 10+ hour responding to court filings just to be as difficult as they are. GM is the worst company for customer service on the planet.

I swear, they just say anything. I honest to God think that unless you have a lawyer, they just do 100% denial on absolutely everything.

Lessons all of us can take away from this is, if you have a vehicle issue, call your dealer and ask them if there's a recall, bulletin, or campaign on that issue before you start dumping money into fixing it.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 2:33pm   #56
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 5.0%

Thanked 8,407 Times in 4,256 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

I have a bullet proof 2010 GMC dually with the 6.0 gas, 2013 with the could blow up LS7, and a Subaru Ascent. I’ve always had a GM truck. They have taken as good care of me as I did them.

I will say that my 1999 Silverado brake line failed right between the cab and bed over the gas tank. Common problem that GM never took care of. That one pissed me off big time. That and the pull key and wait 10 seconds in my C5’s.

But we’ve had issues with our foreign vehicles as well.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 11:17pm   #57
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 12.2%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,204 Times in 4,373 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
I had good luck with the many GM trucks I owned in the past. And I actually like the looks of the newest GMC & Chevy pickups.
I've always thought the Silverados looked good, but my 2012 F250 Diesel is just fine. Even thinking about taking it in for a total refresh now that I don't beat the crap out of it every weekend.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 6:55am   #58
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
I've always thought the Silverados looked good, but my 2012 F250 Diesel is just fine. Even thinking about taking it in for a total refresh now that I don't beat the crap out of it every weekend.
I always liked that SuperDuty generation.I believe King Ranch was the top trim until later in that gen when Platinum was introduced to the SD trucks.
Old 10-19-2023, 7:55am   #59
lrobe22
A Real Barner
Activity: 8.6%

pics of girlfriend?
lrobe22 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic