Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2022, 5:46pm   #1
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 33,385 Times in 13,465 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478
Default Here's a question (cameras)

Why is it I can log on to the boarding kennel and watch my dog any time I want, but parents can't log in to their kid's classroom and see what is going on?

It would be very simple to have a camera with sound in every room and have parents drop in on their kid's classes and see what is being taught and how they are behaving.

Talk about a tool to keep kids in line.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 5:51pm   #2
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 60.8%

Thanked 23,724 Times in 9,806 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

Problem is privacy issues at public schools, plus can you imagine all the Karen's bitchin about every little thing happens in classroom. Few states/districts allow cameras and only viewed if an issue comes up.
Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 5:58pm   #3
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
Problem is privacy issues at public schools, plus can you imagine all the Karen's bitchin about every little thing happens in classroom. Few states/districts allow cameras and only viewed if an issue comes up.
What is the difference if they see it, or their kid comes home and tells them? Karens will be Karens regardless. If anything, it will prompt BOTH to keep in line. Teachers and students.

What is the privacy issue? Some creeper logging in? Only the parents "should" have the log in and creepers can see kids on Twitter, TikTok, etc.
Old 01-23-2022, 6:20pm   #4
Rodnok1
A Real Barner

Combination of laws and contracts with teachers unions from what I understand, differs by state.
I don't see the need to view classrooms constantly myself, the overhead from constant complaints and inquiries would drown a district also. People would file assault charges if Bobby pushed Billy type of PC bullshit also.
Old 01-23-2022, 6:52pm   #5
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Access is constant, but there could be times when no one is even logged in. Poi t being that the kids and the teachers don't know if anyone is watching or not. Just like a store. You see the camera, but you don't know if anyone is monitoring or not.

As for kid A pushing kid B, it's exactly the same as if the kid tells his parents...but with evidence.
Old 01-23-2022, 7:21pm   #6
MadInNc
Barn Stall Owner #103
Activity: 45.7%

Thanked 31,302 Times in 10,835 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108939

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
Access is constant, but there could be times when no one is even logged in. Poi t being that the kids and the teachers don't know if anyone is watching or not. Just like a store. You see the camera, but you don't know if anyone is monitoring or not.

As for kid A pushing kid B, it's exactly the same as if the kid tells his parents...but with evidence.
Are you a creeper? Is that why?
MadInNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 8:05pm   #7
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadInNc View Post
Is that what you got out of the posts?

Old 01-23-2022, 8:13pm   #8
BayouCountry
Barn Stall Owner #105
Activity: 14.0%

Thanked 1,352 Times in 584 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Why is it I can log on to the boarding kennel and watch my dog any time I want, but parents can't log in to their kid's classroom and see what is going on?

It would be very simple to have a camera with sound in every room and have parents drop in on their kid's classes and see what is being taught and how they are behaving.

Talk about a tool to keep kids in line.
More like a tool to keep teachers in line.
BayouCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BayouCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 8:14pm   #9
BayouCountry
Barn Stall Owner #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadInNc View Post
Why would that even enter your mind?
Old 01-23-2022, 8:16pm   #10
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouCountry View Post
More like a tool to keep teachers in line.
Certainly that.

I remember the days when a paddle hung near the teachers desk and they really didn't have to use it. It was knowing they COULD that mattered to the majority. Same would go for a camera...with the benefit of hearing teachers trying to pass their ideology subtly or openly and being able to witness it first hand.
Old 01-23-2022, 8:30pm   #11
Rodnok1
A Real Barner

I don't get the keep teachers in line... If you don't trust the teachers/school why are you sending them there period. When I stopped trusting the school my kid didn't go anymore. Wasn't a hard decision. Yes or no not well maybe.
Old 01-23-2022, 8:39pm   #12
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
I don't get the keep teachers in line... If you don't trust the teachers/school why are you sending them there period. When I stopped trusting the school my kid didn't go anymore. Wasn't a hard decision. Yes or no not well maybe.
If you have been watching the news at all for the last year, you'll see stories in nearly every state about CRT, you'll see stories of students beating up teachers, stories of assaulted girls in classrooms, threats of bringing guns to school. Most parents work all day and trust that their kids are being taken care of. This system would allow them to pop in and be sure.

As I said in the original post, people can watch their DOG all day in a kennel, but not their kids. My boss can watch what every employee is doing, but not his kids. Every store, airport, car lot, bank, etc. has cameras monitoring what goes on, but the thing more precious than cars, money, merchandise...it's dropped off with a pat on the head, and fingers crossed all day that they don't get mind ****ed by a teacher, beat up by a bully, or whatever. I don't have that kind of confidence in our school systems as they exist today. A thousand watchdogs or potential watchdogs, would help.
Old 01-23-2022, 8:50pm   #13
BayouCountry
Barn Stall Owner #105

Quote:
Many don't have the means to switch schools. My daughter is fortunate enough to be able to send her kids to private school. During her school years, she was one of the few who called out teachers asking for sources of their left wing rhetoric. She told me the class would shout her down. We would just laugh at the teachers when she told me about it. I guess it's no laughing matter anymore.
Old 01-23-2022, 8:51pm   #14
Scissors
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $366874

Some points to consider:
- Schools can't even implement simple remote learning effectively, and now we'd be expecting them to afford, install, maintain, and (most importantly) secure surveillance technology?
- Given that it would almost certainly be implemented in an insecure manner, do we really want creepers to have the power to view which kids are in class at certain times; additionally gathering intel on who's not there (and therefore might be an "alone at home" target)?
- How would this be more effective for monitoring teacher and/or class performance or acquiring evidence than a simple closed-circuit system of recorded classes, available as video with audio after a given minimum timeframe if someone with a material interest files a request?
- Is a surveillance state what we want to raise the next generation to be comfortable with?
- Do we need yet another government project that will (if history is any indication) will be implemented poorly and cost taxpayers far more money than it should?

Instead of starting with a solution in search of a problem, maybe we should take a step back, start with a specific problem, and then consider a variety of solutions for that problem that do not themselves make things worse overall. Which problem are we looking to address? Teacher performance? Student performance/behavior? Classroom cleanliness? Assurance of conformance to curriculum? Improvement of evidence quality relating to classroom-based incidents?
Scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scissors For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 10:28pm   #15
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
Some points to consider:
- Schools can't even implement simple remote learning effectively, and now we'd be expecting them to afford, install, maintain, and (most importantly) secure surveillance technology?
- Given that it would almost certainly be implemented in an insecure manner, do we really want creepers to have the power to view which kids are in class at certain times; additionally gathering intel on who's not there (and therefore might be an "alone at home" target)?
- How would this be more effective for monitoring teacher and/or class performance or acquiring evidence than a simple closed-circuit system of recorded classes, available as video with audio after a given minimum timeframe if someone with a material interest files a request?
- Is a surveillance state what we want to raise the next generation to be comfortable with?
- Do we need yet another government project that will (if history is any indication) will be implemented poorly and cost taxpayers far more money than it should?

Instead of starting with a solution in search of a problem, maybe we should take a step back, start with a specific problem, and then consider a variety of solutions for that problem that do not themselves make things worse overall. Which problem are we looking to address? Teacher performance? Student performance/behavior? Classroom cleanliness? Assurance of conformance to curriculum? Improvement of evidence quality relating to classroom-based incidents?
Well shit, since it will never work, let's just say "screw it" because what we have is working so well, why offer any thoughts of change?

I'm sure as shit glad multiple people in history just didn't throw up their hands and say **** it, it won't work.

Like many states, it looks like you've decided parents should have no say in what happens at school. **** the unions, **** protocols, **** what was done for years. Our kids are being manipulated and programmed and sitting back and seeing how it all ends, doesn't sit well with me.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:32pm   #16
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.4%

Thanked 41,077 Times in 17,080 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

This is why I enrolled all my kids in obedience school and doggy daycare, so I could keep an eye on 'em.
bill_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bill_daniels For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 12:19am   #17
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 98.2%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,153 Times in 4,346 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
Well shit, since it will never work, let's just say "screw it" because what we have is working so well, why offer any thoughts of change?

I'm sure as shit glad multiple people in history just didn't throw up their hands and say **** it, it won't work.

Like many states, it looks like you've decided parents should have no say in what happens at school. **** the unions, **** protocols, **** what was done for years. Our kids are being manipulated and programmed and sitting back and seeing how it all ends, doesn't sit well with me.
I would not want strangers seeing my kids, even if I actually had any. Period. If you can figure out a way to strap a gopro to the teacher with the camera pointed inward, then go for it.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:36am   #18
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
I would not want strangers seeing my kids, even if I actually had any. Period. If you can figure out a way to strap a gopro to the teacher with the camera pointed inward, then go for it.
How do you keep your kids from being seen by strangers when they are out in public? Kind of like the people that hide their license plate in a post, but drive around all day.

Or when they are recorded in a store, or bank, or anywhere alse for that matter?

The people watching are other parents. Are you able to log in to watch your local grocery store?
Old 01-24-2022, 3:05am   #19
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 98.2%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,153 Times in 4,346 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
How do you keep your kids from being seen by strangers when they are out in public? Kind of like the people that hide their license plate in a post, but drive around all day.

Or when they are recorded in a store, or bank, or anywhere alse for that matter?

The people watching are other parents. Are you able to log in to watch your local grocery store?
Kids need to have at least one place that they can go, feel relatively safe, and not be subject to being recorded for what would amount to be eternity. If you think parents would not post this shit up to embarrass little Johnny's "enemies", you are fooling yourself. I agree that we need to figure out a way for teachers to be accountable for their performance, other than being judged by admin that depends on the teacher performance for their own success.

While I have no interest in "logging in" to the grocery store, I'm afraid there may be those who do. Even then, you're talking about a closed system. A school system would be hosted somewhere open, and yes, I could probably get in given some time and spearfishing.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 8:18am   #20
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Kids need to have at least one place that they can go, feel relatively safe, and not be subject to being recorded for what would amount to be eternity. If you think parents would not post this shit up to embarrass little Johnny's "enemies", you are fooling yourself. I agree that we need to figure out a way for teachers to be accountable for their performance, other than being judged by admin that depends on the teacher performance for their own success.

While I have no interest in "logging in" to the grocery store, I'm afraid there may be those who do. Even then, you're talking about a closed system. A school system would be hosted somewhere open, and yes, I could probably get in given some time and spearfishing.
Yes or no...do cameras make you feel more safe or less safe? Would you feel better knowing your child's day is being monitored, or unchecked?

It's really just that simple. If it is a security concern, fix that concern. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I don't hear about Apple getting hacked. Put them on it. Develop a system like their phones have that are less vulnerable.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic