Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2011, 10:07pm   #21
ChasC5
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman9368 View Post
see the part in bold............and of course we all know we can trust the federal government, right?
That good, Step #1 & 2 in one post.

Later
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:10pm   #22
vetteman9368
Barn Raising III
Activity: 1.8%

Thanked 2,179 Times in 966 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1120967

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
That good, Step #1 & 2 in one post.

Later
no denial, no anger. Just a healthy dose of skepticism. But that's probably over your head huh?
vetteman9368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:20pm   #23
Will
Barn Stall Owner #15
Fantasy Football Champ '11,'13,'17

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis.
Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,241 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1050381
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef
refrain from name-calling or unnecessary baiting in your posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
Remember folks:

-Stay on Topic
-Respond coherently
-Disagree respectfully
https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/p...uidelines.html

It's Saturday Night, it's late, I'm tired, and I can't tell if we're going to go tumbling over the line here any minute.

So consider this a precautionary measure.

Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 8:53am   #24
ChasC5
Banned

I respectfully disagree that most American Government Workers are Takers and not Makers. Why, because I and everyone that I know firsthand didn't and are currently not.
Old 04-03-2011, 9:47am   #25
ptindall
A Real Barner
Activity: 14.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $56446

Quote:
I respectfully disagree that most American Government Workers are Takers and not Makers. Why, because I and everyone that I know firsthand didn't and are currently not.
I agree with you. The problem is every single one of them is a burden on the economy whether they are productive or not, needed or not. Most of them are probably productive. Most of them are benefitial to some degree. A huge number of them are absolutely vital to our society. But when they outnumber the workers in manufacturing, farming, and mining, combined, something is wrong. Even ignoring the financial burden that is, at some point they become a large enough voting block voting for themselves that it can never be reversed.
ptindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01am   #26
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
I agree with you. The problem is every single one of them is a burden on the economy whether they are productive or not, needed or not. Most of them are probably productive. Most of them are benefitial to some degree. A huge number of them are absolutely vital to our society. But when they outnumber the workers in manufacturing, farming, and mining, combined, something is wrong. Even ignoring the financial burden that is, at some point they become a large enough voting block voting for themselves that it can never be reversed.
I was taught one great rule by my parents in addition to the Golden Rule, and I wish all parents would teach their children this rule. You should never paint everyone with one broad brush; particulary individuals you've never met once in your life. It's a great rule because my world is infinitely bigger because of it. I have friend, aquatences, business partners and now family members that I would never have if I had narrowed my thinking and thoughts.

Additionally, I have personal friends and family who work for the Government that I know first hand, who don't fit the negative descriptions of this Thread.

In my opinion
Old 04-03-2011, 10:37am   #27
ptindall
A Real Barner

Quote:
I was taught one great rule by my parents in addition to the Golden Rule, and I wish all parents would teach their children this rule. You should never paint everyone with one broad brush; particulary individuals you've never met once in your life. It's a great rule because my world is infinitely bigger because of it. I have friend, aquatences, business partners and now family members that I would never have if I had narrowed my thinking and thoughts.

Additionally, I have personal friends and family who work for the Government that I know first hand, who don't fit the negative descriptions of this Thread.

In my opinion
Do you see anything in post #25 that contradicts this?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:51am   #28
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Do you see anything in post #25 that contradicts this?
No I do not, but American Industry made it's own decisions. You can either keep up or you can't. Those that can do, those that can't find scapegoats.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:05am   #29
ptindall
A Real Barner

Quote:
No I do not, but American Industry made it's own decisions. You can either keep up or you can't. Those that can do, those that can't find scapegoats.
Industry is not free to make it's own decisions. Industry does what it has to do under the circumstances it is given such as laws and labor prices. Even still, manufacturing, farming, and mining are all still very big business in this country. When they are collectively outnumbered by government alone, it just demonstrate how big government is and how top heavy we've become.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:13am   #30
ptindall
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I'm glad that the author took the time to describe the improvements to manufacturing that caused us to not need as many workers, and also included the fact that farmers now are more efficient at producing crops than at any other time in history.
100% True. Now why have government workers become less efficient while manufacturing, farming, mining, etc became more efficient? You guy's aren't still using slide rules and type writers, are you?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:43am   #31
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 5.0%

Thanked 12,538 Times in 5,853 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

Here is the conclusion to the link I have referenced here.
Reason Foundation - Comparing Private Sector and Government Worker Salaries

Quote:
Conclusions

While the recent study from the Center for State & Local Government Excellence and the National Institute on Retirement Security comparing public sector and private sector compensation levels correctly notes that aggregate comparisons of average public and private wages and benefits can be misleading, its conclusion that state and local government employees are undercompensated, compared to private-sector employees, is suspect at best. The analysis ignores the value of virtually ironclad job security and certainty of pension benefits, features that are notably absent in the private sector. It also overlooks the greater efficiency and productivity of private sector workers, which is a result of competitive pressures not experienced in government agencies. The conclusion that public-sector workers are more highly educated than comparable private sector workers, upon which higher pay and benefit levels is justified, is called into question by the fact that not all college degrees are equal (and may vary between public and private sector employees) and the possibility that governments are hiring overqualified workers because they face looser budget constraints than private companies (i.e., governments are overpaying for their labor).

There are other considerations outside the scope of the report that affect discussions of the cost of government services. Since retiree health care costs are expected to continue to rise rapidly, and public employees' retiree health care benefits are significantly greater than those of private sector employees, this will increase government workers' total compensation relative to comparable private sector employee compensation. Furthermore, even if we assume that public employees are underpaid, or at least not overpaid, that does not mean that the number of government workers is necessary or desirable, or that the cost and scope of government is not excessive.

The fact is that state and local government labor costs are continuing to escalate drastically. There is a reason why the City of Vallejo, California, cited skyrocketing pension costs as the chief cause of its fall into municipal bankruptcy, and why many other local governments in California and elsewhere are on the brink of bankruptcy. There is a reason why California's pension costs have been described as unsustainable by everyone from the chief actuary of the California Public Employees' Retirement System to Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, to Democratic State Treasurer Bill Lockyer. There is a reason that governments at the federal, state, and local levels achieve significant cost savings by contracting with private sector businesses to provide a wide variety of services previously performed by government workers. State and local governments in California and across the nation must address public employee compensation levels if they are to maintain any sense of fiscal responsibility, particularly in these difficult economic times.

Adam B. Summers is a policy analyst at Reason Foundation
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:53am   #32
ChasC5
Banned

I'm sure glad I live in my progressive world rather than your declining world.

I'm actually seeing thing getting a lot better for me; of course your milage may differ.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:57am   #33
ptindall
A Real Barner

Quote:

I'm actually seeing thing getting a lot better for me; of course your milage may differ.
You are or were a government worker, no?
Old 04-03-2011, 12:08pm   #34
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
GTMS ‘18

Quote:

Keep enjoying it while you can. When the money stops flowing in sooner or later government will have to cut payroll.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:17pm   #35
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 11,553 Times in 5,695 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
Keep enjoying it while you can. When the money stops flowing in sooner or later government will have to cut payroll.
If I wuz prez, the DC region would have a 50% unemployment rate, maybe even 60%.....the wholesale layoffs would ASS Pound them but good....

Thomas Edison

All products should say "Do not use if your stupid".....

I love how Progressives want to have Darwinism taught in schools but denied as a reality in life.
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 1:05pm   #36
ChasC5
Banned

biggrin

Isn't it amazing how Pro-Government people were less than a few years ago? It was a Big Government then; hummmm. Now; all of a sudden, the country is soo bad for these same people; hummm.

Got to love politics.

Well; you still have a little less than two years of Theropy remaining.
Old 04-03-2011, 1:13pm   #37
ptindall
A Real Barner

Quote:
Isn't it amazing how Pro-Government people were less than a few years ago? It was a Big Government then; hummmm. Now; all of a sudden, the country is soo bad for these same people; hummm.

Got to love politics.

I think you misunderstood people who were pro-Bush. Few were pro-Big Government just because they liked the foreign policy of the President.
Old 04-03-2011, 1:32pm   #38
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
GTMS ‘18

Quote:

Got to love politics.

You must not have read the Conservative posts. We are, have been and will remain against big government. I have been against the DoE ( both of them) since the 1990's when both were proven to be massive mistakes.

I have been against welfare since then as well.

SS and Medicare have to be reformed significantly. They are safety nets. Not beds.
Old 04-03-2011, 1:33pm   #39
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
I think you misunderstood people who were pro-Bush. Few were pro-Big Government just because they liked the foreign policy of the President.
Let me get this straight; W had a good foreign policy? Wow, if that's the thinking I'm dealing with then I don't have much to add.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChasC5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2011, 1:58pm   #40
ptindall
A Real Barner

Quote:
Let me get this straight; W had a good foreign policy? Wow, if that's the thinking I'm dealing with then I don't have much to add.
I didn't say he did. Could you stay on topic, please? That would be you misunderstand people who were pro-Bush for also being pro-Big Government at the time.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion