Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2024, 9:08am   #41
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,545 Times in 2,658 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by donuts View Post
True story.. I had quite a few engineering students work for me over the years and several who stuck it out all 4 years so I took them to the Indy 500 for their graduation gift. They said they wanted to ride motorcycles up there , from Oklahoma , and we did. One kid had an older Suzuki cruiser that was carbureted and on the way up it was sputtering a bit but we made it, on the way home it just wouldn’t run hardly at all. We stopped over at big travel stop area for the night and in the morning we filled up and it wouldn’t start back up. We got it pushed to the side and those smart dudes could only think of one thing to do, and that was to tear down that carb I looked at them and laughed and asked if they had even thought about googling the issue and they looked at me like I was nuts, I had already pulled up a video on YouTube that described the issue perfectly and all it was was clogged up vacuum tubes .. 5 minutes later we were on the road. They’re all extremely successful today in their fields thanks to my leadership and school of common sense..
My Dad was an electrical engineer and avid DIYer. Most of what I know about buildings is from my grandfather, himself a product of an 8th grade education, then manual labor where the most sophisticated tool was a bottle jack. Both of these fine men taught me common sense and working smart. I've done the same with my son and now working on my son-in-law to bring him up to speed.

Over my 45 year career I've mentored many less experienced engineers, teaching them about common sense. I was trained using 2-dimensional drafting, a calculator, pencil and paper and the younger guys had something called "software". I recall several times where their PC would spit out bullshit and I'd ask them "does that make sense to you?", repeating it until they got the message.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 9:38am   #42
donuts
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 18.0%

biggrin

The key here is being taught from a young age to handle tools and prioritizing repair and construction . I have several “guys” who were raised this way and they’re who I call . My dad had a tool drawer in the kitchen, I was handier than he was when I was 8. What he taught me was to run and spin off businesses. I learned what he couldn’t teach again by knowing how to hire good people and KEEP them around for a long time. I couldn’t have done any of that as well as being retired at 53 if I was always fixing the things that broke in my world. BUT I have huge respect for those who do possess the abilities to build and repair.

Knowing your limits is the key. Should the day ever come that I can’t afford to pay the guy I will have a the time to remedy myself.
donuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 9:53am   #43
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

In my house my wife calls it the "man drawer"; one drawer in the kitchen that I'm allowed to keep my things in. Been that way since we got married.

I had a painter- tile-drywall guy for years. Joe was a few years older but failed to make sound decisions about his life when he was younger, and continued to make bad decisions later on. I hired him for many tasks since it made more sense for focus on making money in my business. Joe got lazy over the years and I eventually had to stop hiring him.

I'm lucky to have some good client contractors that I can rely on for stuff that's more than I can handle by myself, like my addition. Ryan's company did the excavation, concrete and block, framing, roofing, installed windows and gutters, drywall.

I did the design, permitting, electrical, plumbing, and heating. That saved huge dollars because of the scarcity of good tradesmen in this region. It also saved a tremendous amount of time on the schedule, since I was "on call" during the entire rough-in.

Then I hired my friend Mark for some of the painting and all of the finished carpentry.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:27am   #44
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,455 Times in 10,614 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by donuts View Post
The key here is being taught from a young age to handle tools and prioritizing repair and construction.
I’m 3rd generation carpenter. I started working with my dad around the house as soon as I could walk and began joining him on the job at 8 years old.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:40am   #45
donuts
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
I’m 3rd generation carpenter. I started working with my dad around the house as soon as I could walk and began joining him on the job at 8 years old.
Not sure that this country will produce any 1st generation carpenters until after the revolution.
The Following User Says Thank You to donuts For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 12:43pm   #46
higgyburners
A Real Barner
Activity: 21.2%

Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,314 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1027436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
You finally looked it up.

I've never used it to denigrate God's Chosen People, and never will.

But Himey wirks great with the first two letters of your handle, and (dingbat) describes you nicely, so Himey suits you to a T.

You will forever be Himey to me, Himey.
Whatever floats your boat Twinkle Toes....
higgyburners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 1:23pm   #47
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgyburners View Post
Whatever floats your boat Twinkle Toes....
Nice flag you got there, Himey.
Old 03-29-2024, 2:07pm   #48
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,658 Times in 3,764 Posts

I too was handier than my dad by about age 8. My parents, both professionals, looked down on blue collar workers and those who worked with their hands. I had to learn on my own, and did. I had a passion for working on engines and vehicles of all types, and got some mentoring from the fathers of friends and their grandparents, who were self-educated handymen. To this day, I have much respect for those who can do great work with their hands, be it laying a perfect weld or flying a helicopter. Respect for psychologists and popes and preachers? Not so much.
GTOguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 3:16pm   #49
donuts
Vette Barn Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
I too was handier than my dad by about age 8. My parents, both professionals, looked down on blue collar workers and those who worked with their hands. I had to learn on my own, and did. I had a passion for working on engines and vehicles of all types, and got some mentoring from the fathers of friends and their grandparents, who were self-educated handymen. To this day, I have much respect for those who can do great work with their hands, be it laying a perfect weld or flying a helicopter. Respect for psychologists and popes and preachers? Not so much.
I don’t know any popes that are worth much but I do know a number of psychologists and preachers who can and have built homes and such. But I hear what you’re saying. I would add public school administrators to your list though

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic