Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2024, 4:09pm   #2101
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,685 Times in 13,643 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Maybe you need to keep Carvana alive. Vending machines have no fine print.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 4:17pm   #2102
TheHammer
A Real Barner
Activity: 15.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2149

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Same with the KIA hamsters. And dozens/hundreds of commercials where cars and trucks doing things that they may not be capable of doing.
so they aren't real hamsters?
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 4:35pm   #2103
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
so they aren't real hamsters?
What the hell? This can't be true.

That's false advertising !!!

I'll bet medication commercials drive GrandSportC3 bonkers. So much fine print and the verbal warnings talking while he's trying to read.

Pro-tip: Negotiating a price with the dealership is intended to make the buyer feel like they pulled a fast one when in fact they are NEVER getting away with anything the dealer hasn't already decided they can afford to give up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 5:01pm   #2104
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 43.5%

Thanked 7,748 Times in 3,448 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
Pro-tip: Negotiating a price with the dealership is intended to make the buyer feel like they pulled a fast one when in fact they are NEVER getting away with anything the dealer hasn't already decided they can afford to give up.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 5:30pm   #2105
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 68.7%

Thanked 33,448 Times in 11,749 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:

I’ve never felt like that. I know the dealer is a business that must make a profit to stay in business. When I negotiated the deal on our new Explorer last month I came away with a decent deal and they made some profit. I could have maybe negotiated them down a few hundred dollars more but on a $70k vehicle it wasn’t worth my time to do that.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 5:31pm   #2106
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
I’ve never felt like that. I know the dealer is a business that must make a profit to stay in business. When I negotiated the deal on our new Explorer last month I came away with a decent deal and they made some profit. I could have maybe negotiated them down a few hundred dollars more but on a $70k vehicle it wasn’t worth my time to do that.
My point is, they didn't give you anything they weren't willing to give up before you ever walked in the door.
Old 03-26-2024, 5:33pm   #2107
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 68.7%

Thanked 33,448 Times in 11,749 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
My point is, they didn't give you anything they weren't willing to give up before you ever walked in the door.

True. They aren’t in the business of selling vehicles at a loss.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 6:14am   #2108
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 74.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadcad View Post
I think you are understating on purpose the role that consumers must embrace when pursuing most purchases.
Consumers should read the fine print, and do their homework before they commit to buying anything.

A few things in society that are not everything you are told:
1) $2,000 TV, the optimal viewing of the tv is not achieved until you spend $500+ on cables AND have super high-speed internet
2) cruise ship and airline tickets, all advertised prices go up 50+% once you pay for the NEEDED add-ons
3) new home construction prices, many go up 20+% once you account for upgrades
4) swimming pools, no one gets a pool for the advertised $40K

I could list 100+, point is when you are an educated consumer you can figure it out and never get screwed.
Picking on car ads is serving your narrative, most on here can navigate through it, and will get the car they want at the price they want.
1) you are paying for a TV, not other services. It's like buying a car and expect fueling to be included
2) yes, you can fly at the advertised price. I do it all the time. Just took my daughter to NYC for $84 round trip per person and that's what we paid. When checking in, you can deny every upgrade. You are not forced to take them
3) you are presented with a choice of trims. You can choose to go with the lowest trim. Nobody forces you to upgrade.
4) I don't know about swimming pools. Never had one built or bought one.
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 6:17am   #2109
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
What in the hell are you even arguing?

I'll make this simple. If you don't read a contract, any contract, you are a f**king idiot. There's no way in hell that I would rent an apartment from you without reading it. In the case of a car, you are talking about tens of thousands of dollars. If a simple contract is too complicated for you to understand, don't go buy a car by yourself. If you are at a place where you think someone is trying to "sneak things in" (despite an itemized bill of sale), go elsewhere.

The fact that you think the solution to any of that is the government is the absolutely insane part.
How does it infringe on the free market if you standardize something like that?
The only reason to want to keep it the way it is is to mislead people.
There are a million things in our laws that are standardized even if you don't like some of it... like car's mpg or range etc. All those things have a standard on how to determine that. What's wrong with applying the same to new car pricing?
Old 03-27-2024, 6:20am   #2110
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadcad View Post
Not only do I read contracts, I try NEVER to sign a contract.
I explain that I do not need to prove my trust to a company for which I am paying, I will pay them when I am satisfied with the job.
I do keep their contract, as it is reviewed with them before I make the final payment.
Most people don't read half the things that they sign, especially if it's longer.
Sure, if you trust the entity that you sign a contract with, there usually is no issue but if you do the same for someone who wants to screw you.. you will end up getting screwed.
Old 03-27-2024, 6:24am   #2111
LATB
A Real Barner

Thanked 23,457 Times in 10,616 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
1) you are paying for a TV, not other services. It's like buying a car and expect fueling to be included
If you want fuel, add that into your negotiations. I can promise you it will not be the deal breaker. Matter of fact I believe every car/truck I have bought came with a full tank, usually without asking.

2) yes, you can fly at the advertised price. I do it all the time. Just took my daughter to NYC for $84 round trip per person and that's what we paid. When checking in, you can deny every upgrade. You are not forced to take them
And you are not forced to buy any vehicle, and can deny the dealer add-ons as part of your negotiations.

3) you are presented with a choice of trims. You can choose to go with the lowest trim. Nobody forces you to upgrade.
That's call custom home building and it will absolutely cost you more than a spec built home. Builders, especially tract home builders, will build them upgraded even though they advertise the entry level price. And unless the market is weak you will not negotiate much away.

4) I don't know about swimming pools. Never had one built or bought one.
Like custom home building, it will always cost more than the advertised price.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 6:27am   #2112
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
The only reason to want to keep it the way it is is to mislead people.
There are a million things in our laws that are standardized even if you don't like some of it... like car's mpg or range etc. All those things have a standard on how to determine that. What's wrong with applying the same to new car pricing?
There are already truth in advertising laws on the books.
Old 03-27-2024, 6:31am   #2113
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Most people don't read half the things that they sign, especially if it's longer.
Sure, if you trust the entity that you sign a contract with, there usually is no issue but if you do the same for someone who wants to screw you.. you will end up getting screwed.
If you don't read a contract for a large purchase you are an idiot. In the case of a new car you can be assured that you will not buy the car without signing their contract. And yes the contract favors the author as is always the case.

In context of the discussion the only issue is the cost. And at the point of contract price has already been determined. All that's necessary is confirm the numbers. If that is outside your abilities you probably should use public transportation.
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 6:48am   #2114
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Where did I say anything about it "infringing on the free market"? I'll give you a hint. I didn't. It has absolutely nothing to do with the MARKET, no matter how many times you say it.

Quote:
What's wrong with applying the same to new car pricing?
Who in the hell is arguing about PRICING? You're saying that the government should regulate how search engines display results on privately held websites so it makes your search easier. That has nothing to do with PRICING. It has nothing to do with the MARKET.

After this many posts, how is it possible that you still don't even understand the argument?
Old 03-27-2024, 6:49am   #2115
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
But reading those wastes "valuable time"...
Old 03-27-2024, 6:56am   #2116
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Again, your entire argument is that disclosing every detail is "misleading"... because people are too lazy to read it.

Crazy thought, how about you actually take just a little bit of responsibility for your own shit.

You've now jumped from being too lazy to read Autotrader to dealers apparently sneaking things into contracts. Again, what in the shit are you even arguing?

Please detail what exactly these shady, unethical, and immoral new car franchise dealers can "sneak in" to the back end of a contract that will "screw" you. And keep in mind, your entire argument revolves around NEW cars, not "Bob's Buy Here Pay Here House of Used Shit."
Old 03-27-2024, 8:31am   #2117
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:

If you want fuel, add that into your negotiations. I can promise you it will not be the deal breaker. Matter of fact I believe every car/truck I have bought came with a full tank, usually without asking.
Not talking about one tank.. getting free fuel for the life of the vehicle. It's like expecting free cable to be included with your TV. That's extremely obvious.

Quote:
And you are not forced to buy any vehicle, and can deny the dealer add-ons as part of your negotiations.
You are not forced to do it but I'm sure that you are aware that sneaky car dealers will sneak things by you because most don't read the contract. For higher value things, I always read it BUT I often sign things for my kids school and there are many pages and I don't have the time to read everything I'm signing.

Quote:
That's call custom home building and it will absolutely cost you more than a spec built home. Builders, especially tract home builders, will build them upgraded even though they advertise the entry level price. And unless the market is weak you will not negotiate much away.
My point is that when you are buying a home and you want to buy it for the advertised price, you usually can do so if you go with the lowest trim level. You are NOT forced to upgrade. A custom home is of course different. It's not a set price from the beginning.. I'm talking about buying a house from a developer, being able to choose from different models and trim levels. You will be able to get a house for the advertised price if you go with the lowest trim levels. Each "UPGRADE" will be priced separately and added IF THE CUSTOMER CHOOSES to.
Old 03-27-2024, 8:35am   #2118
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. As long as there is a disclaimer in small print somewhere on the page, they can protect themselves legally from claims that they didn't state certain things. Dealers will do whatever they can to make people NOT look at the disclaimer.. It's usually in very small print with a small asterisk on the bottom of the page. The WHOLE intent of showing a much lower price that you will actually pay is to mislead. There is no other reason. Sure, people like you and me won't get easily misled but as I said before. A sucker is born every day. This doesn't mean that those people deserve to get screwed because they didn't win in the IQ lottery.
Old 03-27-2024, 8:36am   #2119
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Where did I say anything about it "infringing on the free market"? I'll give you a hint. I didn't. It has absolutely nothing to do with the MARKET, no matter how many times you say it.

Who in the hell is arguing about PRICING? You're saying that the government should regulate how search engines display results on privately held websites so it makes your search easier. That has nothing to do with PRICING. It has nothing to do with the MARKET.

After this many posts, how is it possible that you still don't even understand the argument?
All I'm saying that "TRUTH IN ADVERTISING" LAWS should also regulate that discounts that NOT everyone gets should not be taken out but listed below the advertised price. It's just an amendment to reduce misleading customers.
Old 03-27-2024, 8:36am   #2120
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
You are not forced to do it but I'm sure that you are aware that sneaky car dealers will sneak things by you because most don't read the contract.
Stop giving vague nonsense answers. Give an actual example.

When you do, keep in mind that absolutely every penny of a sale is detailed on the very first bill of sale summary.

So rather than hypothetical crap, tell us what, exactly, "sneaky car dealers" are putting in contracts.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic