Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2020, 4:53pm   #1961
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner
Activity: 40.6%

Thanked 14,878 Times in 5,067 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $894473

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
Will you stay off the highway
...and only drive 30 or less when you absolutely have to go somewhere?

Not for you, but for those around you.

Of course not. I’ll take simple reasonable precautions though. I generally obey speed limits. Driving 30 on a highway isn’t reasonable or safe for myself or those around me.
Little Red L98. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 5:11pm   #1962
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 2,682 Times in 1,544 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3C7NIC View Post
Interested in the science behind the virus?

A doubter of the predictive numbers?

Not a doubter but still want some clarity on why the entire world as we know it has changed? What's the BIG deal?

https://youtu.be/4J0d59dd-qM
Meanwhile, the good doctor has gone from Covid preaching to fishing for some big-ass trout.....

Millenium Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 5:24pm   #1963
Raazor
2020 Election Expert
Activity: 10.4%

Location: Big Sky Country... Where the men are men, the sheep are nervous, and the winters are LOOONG!!!
Thanked 19,596 Times in 7,288 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1134156

2.9 million Americans will die this year... same as last year and the year before that
Raazor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raazor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 5:26pm   #1964
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 72.7%

Thanked 33,428 Times in 11,740 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Will you stay off the highway
...and only drive 30 or less when you absolutely have to go somewhere?

Not for you, but for those around you.

30!!!??? How about 5. That would prevent 40,000 deaths every year. Or make smoking illegal, that would prevent 500,000 deaths every year.

Oh, that’s right, nobody cares about those deaths, they’re okay.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 5:42pm   #1965
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 42.4%

Thanked 7,056 Times in 3,117 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
This:

Way more than a fair amount. Nobody will ever know the real number, but it's likely far fewer whose death was actually caused by it.
Noooo, noooo, no, no, no, a thousand times no. ONLY those who died as a result of having the virus are counted as COVID-19 deaths. Here is a bit of proof:

Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 5:43pm   #1966
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,660 Times in 13,631 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red L98. View Post
Of course not. I’ll take simple reasonable precautions though. I generally obey speed limits. Driving 30 on a highway isn’t reasonable or safe for myself or those around me.
I was purposeful in not putting you at 30 on the highway as that would increase the hazard.

No highway at all
30 or less everywhere

Because something is not infectious, does not mean it is not contagious. Think of the habits or hobbies you have that originated with your parents.

Drinking?
Smoking?
Speeding?
Toking?
Racing?
Boating?
Skiing?
Rock climbing?
Parachuting?
...whatever

All of these put you and others at risk. Hell a staircase or escalator can put others at risk.

The fact that I don't wear a mask, does not mean I am not compassionate or concerned for others. What is does mean is that the risk of me getting or passing along Covid, based on weeks and weeks of what has been learned, is about equal to me getting in a car accident, knocking an old lady over in the grocery store, or hitting someone with a golf ball.

It is not binary. It is not all caution or all recklessness. I can be cognizant without exercising unnecessary caution and unnecessary risk.

Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 5:45pm   #1967
Mick
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
By that standard no one ever died from AIDS, either.
By that standard, we could say that everyone dies of anoxia.
Old 05-20-2020, 6:36pm   #1968
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner

Quote:
30!!!??? How about 5. That would prevent 40,000 deaths every year. Or make smoking illegal, that would prevent 500,000 deaths every year.

Oh, that’s right, nobody cares about those deaths, they’re okay.
Driving? They’ll give any swinging Richard a license. Can’t fix stupid. Many deaths are legit accidents that couldn’t have been prevented. Maybe most.

Smoking is a choice that the user hopefully understands the risks. And it’s legal, like you said.

A novel virus is something that’s only reasonably controllable until there’s a cure or vaccine. Take reasonable, simple precautions until. That should go for everyone but you can’t fix stupid, so people will die.
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Red L98. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 6:49pm   #1969
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner

Quote:
I was purposeful in not putting you at 30 on the highway as that would increase the hazard.

No highway at all
30 or less everywhere

Because something is not infectious, does not mean it is not contagious. Think of the habits or hobbies you have that originated with your parents.

Drinking?
Smoking?
Speeding?
Toking?
Racing?
Boating?
Skiing?
Rock climbing?
Parachuting?

...whatever

All of these put you and others at risk. Hell a staircase or escalator can put others at risk.

The fact that I don't wear a mask, does not mean I am not compassionate or concerned for others. What is does mean is that the risk of me getting or passing along Covid, based on weeks and weeks of what has been learned, is about equal to me getting in a car accident, knocking an old lady over in the grocery store, or hitting someone with a golf ball.

It is not binary. It is not all caution or all recklessness. I can be cognizant without exercising unnecessary caution and unnecessary risk.

Same thing. Free country. It’s a matter of choice that those who partake understand and accept the risk. Most take reasonable precaution. Sometimes they take others out. I don’t think anyone who got infected with COVID chose or accepted the risk. They got it from carelessness of themselves or others.

The virus mutates quickly and science hasn’t figured out how to control it. It’d help if the populace cooperated more.
Old 05-20-2020, 6:58pm   #1970
Steve_R
A Real Barner

Quote:

The virus mutates quickly and science hasn’t figured out how to control it. It’d help if the populace cooperated more.
Cooperated more how?

Many viruses “burn out” when 60% or more of a population has had it, aka herd immunity. Why would this virus be totally different? If it’s not, we may be prolonging the pandemic with all the precautions. The truth is we don’t know. Neither do the “experts.” They’re the same “experts” who said, with absolute certainty, that Florida would be as bad as Italy. They were dead wrong on that prediction, and have even admitted they don’t even know why they were wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 7:07pm   #1971
Mick
A Real Barner

Quote:
A novel virus is something that’s only reasonably controllable until there’s a cure or vaccine.
So, where is our "cure" or "vaccine" for the common cold? It is also caused by a "Coronavirus", is it not?

What about the seasonal flu? Where is the "cure" or "vaccine" for it?

Quote:
Take reasonable, simple precautions until. That should go for everyone but you can’t fix stupid, so people will die.
So we should have been shutting down all small businesses, making people wear masks all the time, telling people to stay home forever all along because these are "reasonable, simple precautions"?

No. "reasonable, simple precautions" for the common cold and seasonal flu have always included washing your hands regularly, and curtailing your exposure to others during cold and flu season if you are in a high risk group. The government CANNOT protect those who go out and perform a "YouTube stunt" of licking a toilet seat in a public place, so they should not even try. Yes, those are the stupid ones, and all of the freedoms of everyone else in society should not be taken away because they are stupid.

Think of it this way, should we outlaw trains because some people can't stop themselves from "train surfing", and a percentage of them die every year? These are 100% preventable deaths too, if only those people weren't so dumb. Should we punish everyone for the idiocy of those people ONLY because we know dumb people exist?

You might also want to keep in mind, when Hitler revoked all individual rights, his justification for doing so was it was "For the Fatherland!", in other words, "for the greater good". Communism is built on the same principle, individual rights should be surrendered for "the greater good".
Old 05-20-2020, 7:08pm   #1972
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner

Quote:
Cooperated more how?

Many viruses “burn out” when 60% or more of a population has had it, aka herd immunity. Why would this virus be totally different? If it’s not, we may be prolonging the pandemic with all the precautions. The truth is we don’t know. Neither do the “experts.” They’re the same “experts” who said, with absolute certainty, that Florida would be as bad as Italy. They were dead wrong on that prediction, and have even admitted they don’t even know why they were wrong.
Cooperate more my listening to the people trying to figure it out. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no expert and you probably know more about it than I do. They were dead wrong because they didn’t know. Science ain’t perfect. There’s that whole trial and error thing. Until they do figure it out I’m willing to go along with what they say. They ain’t asking that much. Wash your hands, wear a mask in public when it’s appropriate to do so, cover your mouth properly when you sneeze or cough, practice social distancing. No problemo for me. I want to retire before I die.

Old 05-20-2020, 7:16pm   #1973
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
So, where is our "cure" or "vaccine" for the common cold? It is also caused by a "Coronavirus", is it not?

What about the seasonal flu? Where is the "cure" or "vaccine" for it?

So we should have been shutting down all small businesses, making people wear masks all the time, telling people to stay home forever all along because these are "reasonable, simple precautions"?

No. "reasonable, simple precautions" for the common cold and seasonal flu have always included washing your hands regularly, and curtailing your exposure to others during cold and flu season if you are in a high risk group. The government CANNOT protect those who go out and perform a "YouTube stunt" of licking a toilet seat in a public place, so they should not even try. Yes, those are the stupid ones, and all of the freedoms of everyone else in society should not be taken away because they are stupid.

Think of it this way, should we outlaw trains because some people can't stop themselves from "train surfing", and a percentage of them die every year? These are 100% preventable deaths too, if only those people weren't so dumb. Should we punish everyone for the idiocy of those people ONLY because we know dumb people exist?

You might also want to keep in mind, when Hitler revoked all individual rights, his justification for doing so was it was "For the Fatherland!", in other words, "for the greater good". Communism is built on the same principle, individual rights should be surrendered for "the greater good".
I’m not talking about rights or the economy or closing businesses or the government. I’m talking about individuals taking appropriate precautions to help prevent the spread.

As far as I know, they’re still trying to figure out a cure for the common cold and better flu vaccines. I may be wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Now I’m going to watch some comedy. I could use a laugh.

Old 05-20-2020, 7:20pm   #1974
Steve_R
A Real Barner

Quote:
Cooperate more my listening to the people trying to figure it out. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no expert and you probably know more about it than I do. They were dead wrong because they didn’t know. Science ain’t perfect. There’s that whole trial and error thing. Until they do figure it out I’m willing to go along with what they say. They ain’t asking that much. Wash your hands, wear a mask in public when it’s appropriate to do so, cover your mouth properly when you sneeze or cough, practice social distancing. No problemo for me. I want to retire before I die.

I have no real issue with those precautions. I do have issues with lockdowns, forced closing of most businesses, putting tens of millions of people out of work, cancelling or postponing most medical and dental care, and a long list of other “precautions” forced on us through executive orders in the name of safety for something that might (or might not) happen. Some of those things have very real negative consequences for peoples’ health and well-being, but nobody seems to give a rat’s ass about those.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 7:20pm   #1975
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:
I don't think you understand how serious this is. This virus cured all other causes of death. Think about that, Hitler.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 7:30pm   #1976
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 61.5%

Thanked 18,567 Times in 8,206 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Noooo, noooo, no, no, no, a thousand times no. ONLY those who died as a result of having the virus are counted as COVID-19 deaths. Here is a bit of proof:

Dr. Ngozi Ezike, director of Illinois Dept of Public Health, explains what counts as a COVID19 death - YouTube
And nobody is afraid to tell the truth about COVID cases for fear of losing their jobs.

dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 7:30pm   #1977
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 5.0%

Thanked 8,404 Times in 4,256 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:
I’m not talking about rights or the economy or closing businesses or the government. I’m talking about individuals taking appropriate precautions to help prevent the spread.

As far as I know, they’re still trying to figure out a cure for the common cold and better flu vaccines. I may be wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time.

I’d bet if the .Gov had put out reasonable accommodations for all businesses instead of the shotgun approach close everyone, you wouldn’t have the issues now.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 7:32pm   #1978
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21

Quote:

May I suggest Doug's Dating Thread?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 7:35pm   #1979
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21

Quote:
No. "reasonable, simple precautions" for the common cold and seasonal flu have always included washing your hands regularly, and curtailing your exposure to others during cold and flu season if you are in a high risk group.
That has always been true but until March most people didn't take those recommendations seriously. Until COVID you still had assholes coming to work sick and infecting everyone else in the office, sneezing into their hands and then shaking yours, etc. It was a hell of a way to get there, but if all that changes going forward and these sorts of common sense practices stick that will be a small silver lining in this Jupiter-sized storm cloud.
Old 05-20-2020, 7:41pm   #1980
MadInNc
Barn Stall Owner #103
Activity: 25.2%

Thanked 31,439 Times in 10,898 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108939

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
That has always been true but until March most people didn't take those recommendations seriously. Until COVID you still had assholes coming to work sick and infecting everyone else in the office, sneezing into their hands and then shaking yours, etc. It was a hell of a way to get there, but if all that changes going forward and these sorts of common sense practices stick that will be a small silver lining in this Jupiter-sized Cluster ****.
*fixt
MadInNc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MadInNc For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic