Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > The Vette Barn > New VBF Member Intros
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

New VBF Member Intros New Vette Barn Forum member introductions & welcome messages.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2014, 9:51am   #1
GB Vette
The Old Guy
Activity: 6.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $804566
Smile Welcome tunnan

Hi tunnan, welcome to the VBF!

GB Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:04am   #2
tunnan
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 4.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $580

Thanks, I got here in a very abstract way and was originally trying to figure out a way to e-mail the Americarna site when you folks popped up.

That said, one of my main passions has been Corvettes and I started out in the 1970's with a very, very rare 1965 Stingray. Now you made have heard the adage about something being rare because it wasn't popular right? Yep, my Vette was rare for all the wrong reasons with only about 200 made like it; it had a 3 speed. I'm still scratching as to why the original owner ordered an optional radio, power windows and power antenna but wouldn't fork out the $25 for a 4 speed. It was fine by me on a limited budget and the only Vette in my price range.

Next was a 2002 black on black C5 that was a real sweetheart and reliable as a Labrador to boot. Big mistake selling that car.

It was replaced with a 7,000 mile 1998 red vert last year. I like it but it doesn't seem to have the "soul" that the 02 had?
tunnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:46am   #3
DropTheTop
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #777
Activity: 0%

Location: If they told you that wolverines would make good house pets . . . would you believe them?
Thanked 1,414 Times in 928 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6589249

Welcome to the Barn! I have a 98 vert as well

Maybe your 98's soul just hasn't been released yet?!?
Throw on a B&B Bullet exhaust and a Vararam intake, and I think you'll find what you're looking for
DropTheTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 3:23pm   #4
tunnan
Vette Barn nOOb

Thanks, the main problem is a simple and annoying one that is easily solved with about $1,000; a new set of tires. It has the old original Goodyear Eagles with only 7,000 miles on them. I had the same issue with my 2002 and it's the noisy thumping that now with age is also detracting from the handling. They break traction far too easily. I think the rubber just work hardens along with the original ultra stiff sidewalls.

Dang, Kumho made a nice set of run flats for $650 but they have stopped making the 17" so that means 18" all around or spend the money that I would have loved to spend on the intake.

Exhaust wise, I had a "mid range" Borla and it didn't have a drone at highway speeds. If Billy Boats has one like that they may be an option. The Borla I couldn't pass up because it was the "H" pipe and full exhaust installed for only $150. One of the mechs customers was trading up to a C6 and the dealer would not take the car in with the Borla so I was standing in the right spot at the right time. Heck, I only stopped to ask about a shot out old Lotus Eurpoa in front of the garage. One of those days luck was smiling so I ended up with the Borla package and a set of HRE rims in great shape for $1,000.
Old 02-20-2014, 6:47pm   #5
Bucwheat
Barn Stall Owner #2558
NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,762 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6573152

welcome
Bucwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 7:39pm   #6
DropTheTop
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #777

Location: If they told you that wolverines would make good house pets . . . would you believe them?
Thanked 1,414 Times in 928 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6589249

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnan View Post
Thanks, the main problem is a simple and annoying one that is easily solved with about $1,000; a new set of tires. It has the old original Goodyear Eagles with only 7,000 miles on them. I had the same issue with my 2002 and it's the noisy thumping that now with age is also detracting from the handling. They break traction far too easily. I think the rubber just work hardens along with the original ultra stiff sidewalls.

Dang, Kumho made a nice set of run flats for $650 but they have stopped making the 17" so that means 18" all around or spend the money that I would have loved to spend on the intake.

Exhaust wise, I had a "mid range" Borla and it didn't have a drone at highway speeds. If Billy Boats has one like that they may be an option. The Borla I couldn't pass up because it was the "H" pipe and full exhaust installed for only $150. One of the mechs customers was trading up to a C6 and the dealer would not take the car in with the Borla so I was standing in the right spot at the right time. Heck, I only stopped to ask about a shot out old Lotus Eurpoa in front of the garage. One of those days luck was smiling so I ended up with the Borla package and a set of HRE rims in great shape for $1,000.
I hear you on those runcraps! One of the best investments I made was a Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 245/315 combo that came up on another forum almost 2 yrs ago. I got them new for almost 500 off retail, and they are awesome. I decided to risk not having runflats in favor of performance and comfort. Those runcraps were like driving with solid forklift tires! I just check my pressures regularly and keep a Z06 tire kit and a plug kit in the trunk.

My B&B Bullets are mated to a Borla X-pipe, and I love them. I'm sure some would say they drone, but to me the exhaust is music - and I like it loud. Some day I'll pull the trigger on LT headers and high flow cats to really let her sing.

Sounds like you got a real good deal on those HREs and Borla package. You sporting them on the 98, or did they get sold with the 02?
DropTheTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 8:50pm   #7
stingraymyway
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $424870

Old 02-22-2014, 9:38am   #8
tunnan
Vette Barn nOOb

The HRE's and Borla went with the 2002 and they were the first thing the fellow took off and sold, both the wheels and exhaust.

I noted he had taken them off when driving by where he worked and gave him a call and he put all of the stock components on that I gave him when I sold him the car.

The HRE's though in great shape were a lot of work since the protective finish was off so they needed a good rub and polish about every two weeks.

Sad that Kumho doesn't do the run flats anymore (you can get 18" but not 17" because they were great and only about $650 a set.
Old 02-22-2014, 5:11pm   #9
AOVET
A Real Barner
Activity: 5.9%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1004934

welcome to the barn
AOVET is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > The Vette Barn > New VBF Member Intros