Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > What's Cooking?

What's Cooking? Share your recipes and food preparation tips here.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2011, 4:28am   #1
BMWBiker
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1838
Default What sites do you use for BBQ rub?

My favorite so far Dizzy Pig BBQ Home. The freshest award winning all natural BBQ Rubs. but also have found some great rubs on Ebay
BMWBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 3:19pm   #2
Tossin
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3613

I make my own. I'm finding that I'm buying less and less pre-made foods anymore.
Tossin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 1:27am   #3
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

I always make my own rubs. The one I made today for the brisket (end product will be pastrami) that I'm smoking after curing for 5 days in a brine (with a little sodium nitrite ) has coriander seeds, mustard seeds, white pepper corns, black pepper corns, granulated garlic, and juniper berries.

Here's what it looked like before I put it on the smoker at about 4 PM tonight. I'm taking it off when it hits 150, wrapping and refrigerating it for about 36 hours, then steaming to 165 at which point it will finally be done.

Normally my rubs will have paprika and chili powder in them, along with pepper, salt, sugar, garlic, etc.

Why in the world would you buy somebody's rubs when it's easy as heck to make your own?
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 5:05am   #4
BMWBiker
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
I always make my own rubs. The one I made today for the brisket (end product will be pastrami) that I'm smoking after curing for 5 days in a brine (with a little sodium nitrite ) has coriander seeds, mustard seeds, white pepper corns, black pepper corns, granulated garlic, and juniper berries.

Here's what it looked like before I put it on the smoker at about 4 PM tonight. I'm taking it off when it hits 150, wrapping and refrigerating it for about 36 hours, then steaming to 165 at which point it will finally be done.

Normally my rubs will have paprika and chili powder in them, along with pepper, salt, sugar, garlic, etc.

Why in the world would you buy somebody's rubs when it's easy as heck to make your own?
Cyber, sounds like great rub, will try it
Like to experience different rubs, buying different rubs means I do not have to keep many spices in stock and fresh Spices do have shelf life.
Use rubs about two times week on my bbq's. Everything from rotisserie turkey to smoked brisket
Buying rubs lets me experience different culinary tastes in cooks
BMWBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:51am   #5
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBiker View Post
Cyber, sounds like great rub, will try it
Like to experience different rubs, buying different rubs means I do not have to keep many spices in stock and fresh Spices do have shelf life.
Use rubs about two times week on my bbq's. Everything from rotisserie turkey to smoked brisket
Buying rubs lets me experience different culinary tastes in cooks
I've heard on other forums that the Dizzy Pigs rubs are good. People have given me tins of various spice mixtures/rubs and they end up sitting in my pantry for years. I just like mixing my own spices up. There's a great store nearby that sells spices in bulk, and they are really fresh spices. We keep all our bulk spices, once opened, in the freezer. They last a long time that way.

I like to toast the spices if they are whole seeds prior to grinding them. That makes a big difference.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 8:53am   #6
Kerrmudgeon
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 18,411 Times in 8,713 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4614507

These 'sites' are in the business to sell rubs not to tell you whats in them. The only 'site' I use is my well stocked spice cupboard and my imagination. I know the basic ones I want for a certain flavor, then I let my nose and tongue fine tune it with others. After all that's how those commercial ones started out as well.......!!
Kerrmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:40am   #7
zsr22
A Real Barner
Activity: 29.5%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post

You missed a spot.
zsr22 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > What's Cooking?