Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2021, 3:13pm   #21
Murray
A Real Barner
Activity: 6.8%

Thanked 11,253 Times in 3,996 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29012

Here we had 500 + cases daily when they implemented masks 6 weeks ago. Yesterday we had 44 new cases
Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 3:34pm   #22
JetMechZ16
A Real Barner
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 9,866 Times in 3,759 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $856744

Quote:
Murrel: Here we had 500 + cases daily when they implemented masks 6 weeks ago. Yesterday we had 44 new cases
So I guess that means that after you've been vaccinated you'll continue to wear your mask?
JetMechZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 3:38pm   #23
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 68.3%

Thanked 33,365 Times in 11,706 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
today's challenge: find a peer reviewed paper showing that wearing mask prevents either 1) you from getting the cooties, or 2) you from spreading the cooties.

i've tried, nothing yet.

just a lot of hand waving and "we think/believe", well, i believe otherwise, so now we're even.
[pHrEd and murraT] Independent peer-reviewed studies don't prove anything. Quit asking for them. [/pHrEd and murraT]

Oh, BTW, Even a Military-Enforced Quarantine Can’t Stop the Virus, Study Reveals

But a piece of cloth - any kind of cloth - or even paper on your face will stop it.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 3:38pm   #24
Murray
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 View Post
So I guess that means that after you've been vaccinated you'll continue to wear your mask?
It’ll be a long time before I’m vaccinated. Hopefully masks will be gone by then
The Following User Says Thank You to Murray For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 3:43pm   #25
Murray
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
[pHrEd and murraT] Independent peer-reviewed studies don't prove anything. Quit asking for them. [/pHrEd and murraT]

Oh, BTW, Even a Military-Enforced Quarantine Can’t Stop the Virus, Study Reveals

But a piece of cloth - any kind of cloth - or even paper on your face will stop it.
You love to hang on to that one piece out in internet space that helps with your story. Are you still going with deaths being the same as years previous or have you given up on that fallacy too.

So keeping people away from each other doesn’t slow the spread of an infectious disease.....is that what your going with?

Weird how when they did it here, we were down to one active case in the whole province.

Oct-Nov new cases were 500 + a day.....yesterday was 44
Old 01-14-2021, 3:53pm   #26
Murray
A Real Barner

Is the Mayo Clinic good enough. You’ll tell me why they aren’t I’m sure

In part........

Can face masks help slow the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19? Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the virus.

So why weren't face masks recommended at the start of the pandemic? At that time, experts didn't know the extent to which people with COVID-19 could spread the virus before symptoms appeared. Nor was it known that some people have COVID-19 but don't have any symptoms. Both groups can unknowingly spread the virus to others.

These discoveries led public health groups to do an about-face on face masks. The World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now include face masks in their recommendations for slowing the spread of the virus. The CDC recommends cloth face masks for the public and not the surgical and N95 masks needed by health care providers.
Old 01-14-2021, 4:00pm   #27
Murray
A Real Barner

And Steve.....Might I remind you you pasted some diatribe from an anesthesiologist and an OBGYN to help with your take on things but you require board certification and peer reviews when someone defends their thoughts.
Old 01-14-2021, 4:01pm   #28
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,863 Times in 11,766 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 commemorative View Post
I don't have the time or energy to argue with someone in any store etc.
If that floats your boat then good for you ...
I guarantee you he won't pull that shit again, others saw it, and they won't put up with it either. Anyway, you're missing the point. Go back and read my post describing the interaction. It's cut and dry. Try getting somebody to 'splain it to you if you still miss the point.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 4:02pm   #29
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,863 Times in 11,766 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
That the Publix here on Blanding and Lock Rain???......if so, cute, I been in there plenty for the pills supplies.....

and never an issue.......
about a mile and a half south by College Dr.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 4:10pm   #30
Steve_R
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
You love to hang on to that one piece out in internet space that helps with your story.
Nah, there are lots of other facts and data to support the same narrative. Like the inconvenient fact that states like CA and NY with the longest mask mandates and tightest lockdowns have the highest case and death rates, while states with no lockdowns or mask mandates have much lower case and death rates. How is that possible if masks and lockdowns slow the spread?

It's becoming quite clear that the "experts" (quotes used for a reason) want mask mandates for at least this year, and perhaps well into the future, if not forever. Are you okay with that? I'm not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 4:12pm   #31
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 56.5%

Thanked 18,534 Times in 8,183 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
And Steve.....Might I remind you you pasted some diatribe from an anesthesiologist and an OBGYN to help with your take on things but you require board certification and peer reviews when someone defends their thoughts.
Steeb and his buddy aren't here to actually debate anyhting, they are just trolling.
dvarapala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 4:13pm   #32
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
I showed him I wasn't wearing the ****ing mask, for sure.
Civil Disobedience, pioneered by Ghandi and perfected by Martin Luther King.
Old 01-14-2021, 4:14pm   #33
Steve_R
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
Steeb and his buddy aren't here to actually debate anyhting, they are just trolling.
Irony right there.

*anything

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 4:22pm   #34
Murray
A Real Barner

Quote:
Nah, there are lots of other facts and data to support the same narrative. Like the inconvenient fact that states like CA and NY with the longest mask mandates and tightest lockdowns have the highest case and death rates, while states with no lockdowns or mask mandates have much lower case and death rates. How is that possible if masks and lockdowns slow the spread?

It's becoming quite clear that the "experts" (quotes used for a reason) want mask mandates for at least this year, and perhaps well into the future, if not forever. Are you okay with that? I'm not.
How many in NY and CA are like DJ and say f’k it... what are you going to do to me.

Take that attitude and throw it into population density of the two places you mentioned and there will be issues.

Lockdowns in California happened when the numbers were not manageable.

Almost everything was open as numbers skyrocketed but I’m sure you’re aware of that.
Old 01-14-2021, 4:27pm   #35
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner
Activity: 9.0%

Thanked 14,774 Times in 5,020 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $894473

I ain’t no scientist or even that smart but I think the people trying to make us safe again are 1) flying by the seat of their pants, 2) doing the best they can with what they got, 3) adjusting on the fly as they discover anomalies, 4) have everyone’s best interest at heart, and 5) will figure it out eventually.

How come nobody bitches about finding a cure for cancer, or AIDS, or the common cold? How long did it take to figure out polio, or measles, or whatever. Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.pre...m/amp/70860420
Little Red L98. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Red L98. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 4:38pm   #36
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21

Quote:
Irony right there.
You troll me, I troll you right back.
Old 01-14-2021, 4:38pm   #37
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 41.7%

Thanked 7,044 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
if you honestly applied "science" to this data, you would find that there is an inverse correlation of masks and infections. when what they tell us is that there should be a direct correlation of masks and infections. ergo, stop wearing masks that increase infections. Science!!!

but no....... they are stuck on stupid, and will not budge.
The whole idea of mask wearing doing anything good is based on a flawed premise, basically that one way or another, I'm going to spit on you if I don't have a mask. EVERY one of the videos showing the "effectiveness" of a mask shows a person blowing the biggest sneeze they can muster directly out into the air, and the mask reduces the plume of saliva/phlegm by maybe 50%. OK, but in 10 months of mask wearing, I have yet to see a single person sneeze like that. Phred even said if he had a big sneeze, he would be "stupid" to sneeze in his mask, so then, what's the point?

Also, this mask wearing idea is often supported by the idea that wearing pants prevents me from pissing on other people, as well as prevents other people from pissing on me. I'm pretty sure that if I wanted to piss on someone, I could easily accomplish that with my pants firmly in place, and that any other man could piss on me without removing his pants.

The above is pretty much the "state of the art" of mask wearing arguments.

Quote:
So keeping people away from each other doesn’t slow the spread of an infectious disease.....is that what your going with?
I don't know about Steve, but yes, I'm going with that. Read up on the Spanish Flu. Remote islands closed their islands to all visitors when the flu reached pandemic levels. Somehow, some months later, with no visitors whatsoever, people on the islands hundreds of miles from any areas with infected people, got infected people. Staying six feet from an infected person doesn't do shit.

The reality is a cloth mask doesn't do shit. Staying 6 feet away from other people doesn't do shit. Washing your hands frequently helps a little. But for many centuries now, the most important thing to do to minimize the spread of flus and other viruses has not changed, and it still hasn't changed due to COVID: if you are sick , stay home.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 4:57pm   #38
Murray
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
The whole idea of mask wearing doing anything good is based on a flawed premise, basically that one way or another, I'm going to spit on you if I don't have a mask. EVERY one of the videos showing the "effectiveness" of a mask shows a person blowing the biggest sneeze they can muster directly out into the air, and the mask reduces the plume of saliva/phlegm by maybe 50%. OK, but in 10 months of mask wearing, I have yet to see a single person sneeze like that. Phred even said if he had a big sneeze, he would be "stupid" to sneeze in his mask, so then, what's the point?

Also, this mask wearing idea is often supported by the idea that wearing pants prevents me from pissing on other people, as well as prevents other people from pissing on me. I'm pretty sure that if I wanted to piss on someone, I could easily accomplish that with my pants firmly in place, and that any other man could piss on me without removing his pants.

The above is pretty much the "state of the art" of mask wearing arguments.

I don't know about Steve, but yes, I'm going with that. Read up on the Spanish Flu. Remote islands closed their islands to all visitors when the flu reached pandemic levels. Somehow, some months later, with no visitors whatsoever, people on the islands hundreds of miles from any areas with infected people, got infected people. Staying six feet from an infected person doesn't do shit.

The reality is a cloth mask doesn't do shit. Staying 6 feet away from other people doesn't do shit. Washing your hands frequently helps a little. But for many centuries now, the most important thing to do to minimize the spread of flus and other viruses has not changed, and it still hasn't changed due to COVID: if you are sick , stay home.
You’re hanging your hat on someone thinking their island had no visitors, memorialized in a journal 100 yrs ago. Got it

This island was small enough to see from one end to the other and he never slept

[Brobot] reasonable [Brobot]
Old 01-14-2021, 5:13pm   #39
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 47.5%

Thanked 10,980 Times in 5,122 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
I guarantee you he won't pull that shit again, others saw it, and they won't put up with it either. Anyway, you're missing the point. Go back and read my post describing the interaction. It's cut and dry. Try getting somebody to 'splain it to you if you still miss the point.
With all due respect DJ, I did not miss the point and I certainly do not need anyone to "splain" anything to me that might be said by you.
If the state you are in has a mask mandate like ours then it is not out of line to have a sign on the door saying you need a mask to enter or that a manager or employee of the store say something to someone that is not wearing one...unless of course you have a medical condition that dictates you can not wear one.Personally I think it's easier to wear the mask,get your few things and leave in peace.
If having that kind of confrontation is something that makes you feel good.... then by all means.....do it.
04 commemorative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 5:23pm   #40
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,626 Times in 13,611 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Is the Mayo Clinic good enough. You’ll tell me why they aren’t I’m sure

In part........

Can face masks help slow the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19? Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the virus.

So why weren't face masks recommended at the start of the pandemic? At that time, experts didn't know the extent to which people with COVID-19 could spread the virus before symptoms appeared. Nor was it known that some people have COVID-19 but don't have any symptoms. Both groups can unknowingly spread the virus to others.

These discoveries led public health groups to do an about-face on face masks. The World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now include face masks in their recommendations for slowing the spread of the virus. The CDC recommends cloth face masks for the public and not the surgical and N95 masks needed by health care providers.
If you really read this closely, it is a nothing statement.

Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the virus.

This is the equivalent to my joke post the other day. I'm prepping to begin thinking about starting to install a generator.

It says all those things listed TOGETHER "help" to slow the spread. They don't slow the spread, but they help to slow the spread. These are purposely chosen words that at a glance and without a lot of thought, say one thing, but under scrutiny, say nothing.

I'm not helping you pay a ticket, but I'm helping you to help pay a ticket...by driving you to the courthouse...which does NOT pay the ticket at all.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic