Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2018, 9:20am   #1
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 20.9%

Thanked 33,735 Times in 12,291 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124
Default Samsung even went further by performing a successful drop test from 6 feet

Samsung’s ‘unbreakable’ OLED display gets certified

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...n-ul-certified

Flexible OLED displays have been around for a few years now, however their implementations in consumer devices have so far been limited to putting the flexible panel behind a rigid piece of protective glass. Samsung Display has just announced the next step up from that: a flexible OLED panel that has a transparent plastic cover already attached, emulating the properties of glass but retaining the screen’s innate flexibility. Without the need for glass, this screen has proven rugged enough to be certified by UL (formerly known as Underwriters Laboratories) for its durability.

Samsung, describing the new panel as unbreakable, reports that it has withstood UL’s military-standards tests of 26 successive drops from a height of 1.2 meters (close to 4 feet) as well as extreme temperatures as high as 71 degrees Celsius (159.8°F) and as low as -32 degrees Celsius (-25.6°F). The OLED display “continued to function normally with no damage to its front, sides, or edges,” we’re told, and Samsung even went further by performing a successful drop test from 1.8 meters (6 feet).

Obviously developed primarily for smartphones, this new flexible OLED panel will also be offered for use in other electronic devices such as portable game consoles, military devices, e-learning tablets, and in-car displays. Samsung Display isn’t offering a timeline for when we might expect a release of any products with the supposedly unbreakable OLED panel inside them, and it has yet to announce mass production of the new component. So while the new screen sounds exciting, we should probably restrain our enthusiasm until it gets closer to showing up in real devices.

Mike Mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2018, 7:25pm   #2
m and t's77
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,169 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3122345

Reminds me of this scene.

m and t's77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 7:34pm   #3
TripleBlack
Barn Raising I
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 2,046 Times in 872 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $308343

Samsung's hardware is great, IMO. But they do everything possible to grab your information. They have a "free" backup service which I don't use. The internet if full of people complaining about incessant Samsung "Notifications" trying to get you to establish an account. I get probably 10 a day and there is not way short of rooting your phone to get rid of them.

I'm on my 3rd Sammy Galaxy - an S8 this time. Will likely not buy another Samsung product because of it and I REALLY need a new TV.

[angry old man]In my day.... [/angry old man]
TripleBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic