Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2011, 7:23pm   #1
R.Zaragoza
Barn Stall Owner #0000
Activity: 0.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $260381
Default School Surveys 7th Graders on Oral Sex

By Todd Starnes

A middle school in Massachusetts is under fire for requiring children to complete a graphic sex survey -- without parental knowledge or consent -- that included questions about sexual partners and oral sex.

The Rutherford Institute, a civil liberties organization, filed a complaint with the U.S. Dept. of Education against the Fitchburg School Committee. They are representing the two middle school-aged daughters of Arlene Tessitore.

Tessitore said her daughters, both students at Memorial Middle School, were told they had to complete a Youth Risk Behavior Study.

“Kids were actually told to sit down and take them,” said John Whitehead, president of The Rutherford Institute. “The parents here are very upset.”

Whitehead said the girls were deeply disturbed by the subject matter of the study – including questions about suicide, drug use and sexual behavior.

“One of the questions is, ‘have you ever had oral sex,’” Whitehead said. “You’re talking about kids who probably don’t even know what oral sex is.”

He said the survey also delved into even more graphic language.

“It’s adult material,” he told Fox News Radio, noting that one question asked students what method they used to prevent pregnancy during their last sexual encounter.

“It goes down a whole list, including birth control pills, condoms and one of the answers is ‘withdraw,’” Whitehead said. “Adults know what this is, but kids have to imagine or go online to find out what it means.”

Principal Fran Thomas told Fox News Radio that students were indeed given the survey – and admits it was graphic. But Thomas said the school has nothing to do with the content and they were required to administer the survey to fulfill a grant requirement.

“I can take no responsibility for what’s on that survey,” Thomas said. “It’s not generated by the school system.”

Thomas said the survey was funded by a federal grant and administered by LUK Inc., a local social services agency -- in coordination with the Centers for Disease Control.

The organization’s leader did not return numerous calls for comment. But according to its website, LUK, Inc.’s mission is to “challenge and support youth & families to recognize and fulfill their unique and productive potential through community-based prevention, intervention and education services.”

A spokesperson for the CDC denied any involvement in the Fitchburg sex survey. The CDC said only seven states and six urban districts include sexual identity questions on their YRBS surveys – and the questions are optional.

But Principal Thomas disputed that notion.

“It was not optional,” he said. “It’s part of a grant that they applied for and the district said you have to administer this survey.”

According to Whitehead, parents were sent a “passive consent” opt-out form. However, Tessitore said she never received the form and never gave permission for her daughters to take part in the survey.

“It was a case of the school telling parents what they were going to do,” he said. “If parents want their kids to answer these kinds of questions as federal law requires, they should give written consent. But if they don’t give consent, I don’t think public officials should be asking children such questions.”

Thomas said he understands the concerns expressed by the parents. But should the middle school be asking children questions about oral sex?

“That’s not a question I’d be asking,” Thomas said. “That’s not information that needs to be gathered in an indiscriminate manner – asking every single student these sorts of questions.”

Thomas said it wasn’t appropriate. “I think there are many things that schools are called upon to do because they think they’ve got a captive audience,” he noted.

Whitehead wants the Department of Education to step in and demand that the Fitchburg school follow the law when it comes to parental consent.

“Parents send their children to public schools to receive an education; not to become subjects of governmental data mining,” Whitehead said.

Read more: School Surveys 7th Graders on Oral Sex - FoxNews.com
R.Zaragoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:56am   #2
ChasC5
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

We're talking 7th Grade ... exactly how long should you wait to clue your kids on the real world.

Waiting for Weiner to send them a Text?
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChasC5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 12:22pm   #3
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
We're talking 7th Grade ... exactly how long should you wait to clue your kids on the real world.

You really do not see an issue in the OP?

You need to self eliminate yourself from being able to procreate.
AC54ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28pm   #4
ChasC5
Banned

bilmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC54ME View Post

7th Graders cannot be protected from the world for ever; when parents not parenting and start protecting and sheltering, then we end up reading about these parental mistakes on the evening News.

You can’t exactly hurt them by educating them.

We're talking around 10 or 11 years old, just a year before they will really get an Education in High School.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:31pm   #5
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Quote:
7th Graders cannot be protected from the world for ever; when parents not parenting and start protecting and sheltering, then we end up reading about these parental mistakes on the evening News.

You can’t exactly hurt them by educating them.

We're talking around 10 or 11 years old, just a year before they will really get an Education in High School.
Chas; you show more ignorance than I can comprehend, or tolerate.

The questions were asked of 7th graders - average age 12, get it, 12 years old. They are NOT in HS (average age for 10th grade is 15).

Shoot, with your mindset why not ask and educate kids at 5 with what is oral sex.

Idiot.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:33pm   #6
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Chas; you show more ignorance than I can comprehend, or tolerate.

The questions were asked of 7th graders - average age 12, get it, 12 years old. They are NOT in HS (average age for 10th grade is 15).
What did you know at 12?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:35pm   #7
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Finally:

This message is hidden because ChasC5 is on your ignore list.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:40pm   #8
ChasC5
Banned

bilmem

What aren't you guys in fear of?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:50pm   #9
sanchez

Thanked 1,474 Times in 666 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3810387

Quote:

He didn't read the OP. He read the title and shot from the hip.
sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:59pm   #10
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
He didn't read the OP. He read the title and shot from the hip.
Wrong Mr. Know-it-all
Old 06-16-2011, 1:03pm   #11
sanchez

Thanked 1,474 Times in 666 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3810387

Quote:
Wrong Mr. Know-it-all
Go fish.
sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 1:16pm   #12
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 1,484 Times in 828 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $437465

Quote:
Finally:

This message is hidden because ChasC5 is on your ignore list.
Yeah...I got there too...
Chris Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 1:23pm   #13
R.Zaragoza
Barn Stall Owner #0000

Quote:

In the past I have defended your opinion, even if I disagreed with you 99% of the time, but this time you have gone over the top. You are either a total IDIOT or INSANE, with that said.
Old 06-17-2011, 8:28am   #14
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Zaragoza View Post
In the past I have defended your opinion, even if I disagreed with you 99% of the time, but this time you have gone over the top. You are either a total IDIOT or INSANE, with that said.
Don't worry, I see the Gang Strategy has already started to Band me from this Forum ... this is typical pattern. I see the same pattern being used for Voting Rights.
Old 06-17-2011, 8:30am   #15
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,466 Times in 10,623 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Don't worry, I see the Gang Strategy has already started to Band me from this Forum ... this is typical pattern. I see the same pattern being used for Voting Rights.
bull shit!

your undoing here will be the same as CFPR&C...and for the same reasons.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 8:38am   #16
R.Zaragoza
Barn Stall Owner #0000

Quote:
An individual suffering from paranoia feels suspicious, and has a sense that other people want to do him or her harm. As a result, the paranoid individual changes his or her actions in response to a world that is perceived as personally threatening. Objective observers may be quite clear on the fact that no one's words or actions are actually threatening the paranoid individual. The hallmark of paranoia is a feeling of intense distrust and suspiciousness that is not in response to input from anybody or anything in the paranoid individual's environment.

Other symptoms of paranoia may include

Self-referential thinking: The sense that other people in the world (even complete strangers on the street) are always talking about the paranoid individual.
Thought broadcasting: The sense that other people can read the paranoid individual's mind.
Magical thinking: The sense that the paranoid individual can use his or her thoughts to influence other people's thoughts and actions.
Thought withdrawal: The sense that people are stealing the paranoid individual's thoughts.
Thought insertion: The sense that people are putting thoughts into the paranoid individual's mind.
Ideas of reference: The sense that the television and/or radio are specifically addressing the paranoid individual.

Read more: Paranoia - dose, causes, therapy, withdrawal, drug, person, people, medication Paranoia - dose, causes, therapy, withdrawal, drug, person, people, medication
Old 06-17-2011, 9:32am   #17
ChasC5
Banned

biggrin

Quote:
An individual suffering from paranoia feels suspicious, and has a sense that other people want to do him or her harm. As a result, the paranoid individual changes his or her actions in response to a world that is perceived as personally threatening. Objective observers may be quite clear on the fact that no one's words or actions are actually threatening the paranoid individual. The hallmark of paranoia is a feeling of intense distrust and suspiciousness that is not in response to input from anybody or anything in the paranoid individual's environment.

Other symptoms of paranoia may include

Self-referential thinking: The sense that other people in the world (even complete strangers on the street) are always talking about the paranoid individual.
Thought broadcasting: The sense that other people can read the paranoid individual's mind.
Magical thinking: The sense that the paranoid individual can use his or her thoughts to influence other people's thoughts and actions.
Thought withdrawal: The sense that people are stealing the paranoid individual's thoughts.
Thought insertion: The sense that people are putting thoughts into the paranoid individual's mind.
Ideas of reference: The sense that the television and/or radio are specifically addressing the paranoid individual.

Read more: Paranoia - dose, causes, therapy, withdrawal, drug, person, people, medication Paranoia - dose, causes, therapy, withdrawal, drug, person, people, medication
I’m ok now; I’ve had at least 3 cups of coffee and a doughnut.
Old 06-17-2011, 9:48am   #18
Yerf Dog
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,145 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $503566

Filling out a "Youth Risk Behavior Study" is not a way of teaching sex ed, especially to 11 year olds.
Yerf Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 9:54am   #19
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fowler View Post
Yeah...I got there too...
Quote:
Yep, this was the thread that finally convinced me Chas is a functioning idiot.

Like some others I've found that idiots will remain idiots no matter what is attempted to engage them in constructive dialog.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:02am   #20
ChasC5
Banned

I don’t think the Government should be doing any of the Parenting at 11 or 12 years of age. But also think it’s way too late to talk to pre-teens about Sex, Guns, and about a dozen other things they should know “before” they learn the hard-way.

I honestly believe we can’t stand around in shock and disbelief when our young are getting pregnant or abused at these ages, yet we stand in fear to provide them with the tools to survive in this world, especially when we all have to live with these mistakes. I learned long time ago; fear is a disabler not an enabler.

That’s my opinion … and I’ll stick by it. Yet it's only an opinion.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion