Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2019, 01:44pm   #1
Wathen1955
A Real Barner
Points: 23,036, Level: 100
Activity: 48.9%
 
Wathen1955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 6,479
Thanks: 3,232
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,004 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1519766
Default The Californina DMV

This has to be the worst government agency in this state.

Last year in February 2018, I decided to get my license updated for 2 reasons:
1. In October 1, 2020, in order to travel you have to get the new license that is approved by the feds
2. I moved and my old license showed a very old address

I make an appointment and go down to DMV to get it update. I pay the $36 fee and received a temp license until my new one arrives. So I figured I was done for another 5 years before dealing with the DMV.

While talking to my wife about the license (she is talking about getting her's updated), I noticed that the expiration date was 5-8-2019! WTF? I just renewed this last year.

So I get on the web and try to schedule an appointment - July 22, 2019. WTF? Really?

So now I decided to simply just go there and wait in line. I arrived 15 minutes before they open, and there are already 50+ people waiting in line. After going through all the steps to get it corrected, I had to pay the fee again, $36, take a vision test, take a written test, have my picture taken again, and then finally got a temp license until the new one arrives in the mail.

The gal told me I should have waited until it was almost expired before updating it. WTF?

I don't know how it is in other states, but this department needs a complete OVERHAUL.
Wathen1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:06pm   #2
JetMechZ16
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 2,523, Level: 32
Activity: 30.0%
 
JetMechZ16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: SouthEast Tn.
Posts: 456
Thanks: 56
Thanked 126 Times in 62 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2510
Default

They weren't any better when I moved out of that state back in 1985.
JetMechZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:13pm   #3
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Points: 54,853, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2%
 
MrPeabody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 30,407
Thanks: 11,807
Thanked 9,708 Times in 4,964 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2195339
Default

Problem is, every time they "overhaul" it, it gets worse. I have lost count over the last few decades of how many times they trashed tens of millions of dollars worth of defective computer hardware and software and started over.

A few years ago I actually benefitted from their incompetence. I had moved, so I went there to do a simple change of address on my license which had a year or two left on it. I went in person because the picture on my license was over ten years old from renewing by mail. They just reuse the old picture. I wanted a new one.

So about halfway through the process, the lady says "Damn! I entered this as a renewal, not a change of address. I'm not going to start over. This is your lucky day. You're getting a renewal good for five years."

No written test, no eye test (I'm already flagged for corrective lenses) and minimal fee. I can't remember how much. Just had my picture taken and got the license in the mail not long after that. Felt like I won the lottery.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:25pm   #4
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Points: 94,253, Level: 100
Activity: 99.1%
 
Mike Mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 31,511
Thanks: 10,347
Thanked 18,535 Times in 7,475 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5122288
Default




Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 02:27pm   #5
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Points: 131,171, Level: 100
Activity: 98.0%
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 55,262
Thanks: 9,904
Thanked 20,127 Times in 10,637 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $35000672
Default

our NM MVD (motor vehicle dept) is so good, that private, for profit companies exist in the same cities that the MVD have an office, and offer, for a fee, to do everything the state agency does, but in a simpler, more efficient manner - once you get called (and you can make an appt), you walk up to one clerk, and she/he does everything you need done. new DL, done. new car registration (like we moved into the state with cars), done. new tags, done. easy peasy. they charge the same state mandated fees as the MVD, and they also add a fee for their services, which we are happy to pay to avoid the MVD hell (went there once, what a mess of confusion and disorder).

so, that's how great our MVD is, they have private competition. that stays in business!
DAB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 02:44pm   #6
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Points: 54,853, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2%
 
MrPeabody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 30,407
Thanks: 11,807
Thanked 9,708 Times in 4,964 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2195339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
our NM MVD (motor vehicle dept) is so good, that private, for profit companies exist in the same cities that the MVD have an office, and offer, for a fee, to do everything the state agency does, but in a simpler, more efficient manner - once you get called (and you can make an appt), you walk up to one clerk, and she/he does everything you need done. new DL, done. new car registration (like we moved into the state with cars), done. new tags, done. easy peasy. they charge the same state mandated fees as the MVD, and they also add a fee for their services, which we are happy to pay to avoid the MVD hell (went there once, what a mess of confusion and disorder).

so, that's how great our MVD is, they have private competition. that stays in business!
We have those here, too. Retired DMV people often work there. A friend of mine owns one of them. You can find them online, too. Best way here is to have AAA towing service, then you can do most DMV business at their office with no extra charges. Can't renew a license there, though.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 02:45pm   #7
Wathen1955
A Real Barner
Points: 23,036, Level: 100
Activity: 48.9%
 
Wathen1955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 6,479
Thanks: 3,232
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,004 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1519766
Default

LOL I even misspelled the acronym. DMV

Forgot to mention that I had to use their PC's to take the test, and 1 of them crashed, 2 others when you clicked on a link for the test, nothing happened on the screen. I thought something was wrong with this one, but about 1 minute later, it advanced to the test. You would think that the software developer would have put a screen that says just a moment while we load the test or something to that effect. Oh I forgot - it went to the lowest bidder.
Wathen1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:46pm   #8
chinaski
A Real Barner
Points: 27,668, Level: 100
Activity: 26.1%
 
chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earthquakeville
Posts: 8,183
Thanks: 2,306
Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,030 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $357
Default

My wife did the real ID thing recently and she literally spent about 9 hours at the DMV. My license expires in 2021, and I am not looking forward to this ordeal.

However, they are starting to come under major scrutiny with the State Government and Media.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:47pm   #9
chinaski
A Real Barner
Points: 27,668, Level: 100
Activity: 26.1%
 
chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earthquakeville
Posts: 8,183
Thanks: 2,306
Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,030 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
We have those here, too. Retired DMV people often work there. A friend of mine owns one of them. You can find them online, too. Best way here is to have AAA towing service, then you can do most DMV business at their office with no extra charges. Can't renew a license there, though.
I was wondering that. So AAA won't deal with the license stuff. Good to know.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:48pm   #10
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Points: 94,253, Level: 100
Activity: 99.1%
 
Mike Mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 31,511
Thanks: 10,347
Thanked 18,535 Times in 7,475 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5122288
Default


if it gets boring... skip to: 1:09

Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:52pm   #11
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Points: 54,853, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2%
 
MrPeabody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 30,407
Thanks: 11,807
Thanked 9,708 Times in 4,964 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2195339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
I was wondering that. So AAA won't deal with the license stuff. Good to know.
They can do a change of address, but they are not set up for vision tests, written and driving tests, photographs, etc.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:54pm   #12
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Points: 54,853, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2%
 
MrPeabody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 30,407
Thanks: 11,807
Thanked 9,708 Times in 4,964 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2195339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wathen1955 View Post
LOL I even misspelled the acronym. DMV

Forgot to mention that I had to use their PC's to take the test, and 1 of them crashed, 2 others when you clicked on a link for the test, nothing happened on the screen. I thought something was wrong with this one, but about 1 minute later, it advanced to the test. You would think that the software developer would have put a screen that says just a moment while we load the test or something to that effect. Oh I forgot - it went to the lowest bidder.
Or maybe the largest campaign donor.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:58pm   #13
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Points: 54,853, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2%
 
MrPeabody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 30,407
Thanks: 11,807
Thanked 9,708 Times in 4,964 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2195339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
My wife did the real ID thing recently and she literally spent about 9 hours at the DMV. My license expires in 2021, and I am not looking forward to this ordeal.

However, they are starting to come under major scrutiny with the State Government and Media.
AAA can't do the real ID thing either. The lady at AAA did tell me something I did not know, though. A passport will do everything the real ID will do, except one thing - purchase of a firearm.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:38pm   #14
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 80,628, Level: 100
Activity: 99.4%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 47,139
Thanks: 23,185
Thanked 6,661 Times in 3,728 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1130682
Default

Waited at the Orange Park locak DMV orifice for about 5 minits, guy called me up and he said my license needed a new pix, like every 5 years or so.....so new pix, new finger prints, and made in about ten minits on the machine right there.....total time about 30 minits......can't bitch.....
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:02pm   #15
Barn Babe
Charter Member
Barn Raising I
Points: 22,956, Level: 100
Activity: 2.1%
 
Barn Babe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,708
Thanks: 5,316
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,442 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10431734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Waited at the Orange Park locak DMV orifice for about 5 minits, guy called me up and he said my license needed a new pix, like every 5 years or so.....so new pix, new finger prints, and made in about ten minits on the machine right there.....total time about 30 minits......can't bitch.....
Similar experience here earlier this month. Without an appointment. I can attest that the CA DMV is a NIGHTMARE!!!
Barn Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:29pm   #16
Nox
A Real Barner
Points: 8,911, Level: 65
Activity: 4.3%
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,068
Thanks: 7
Thanked 770 Times in 347 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
My wife did the real ID thing recently and she literally spent about 9 hours at the DMV. My license expires in 2021, and I am not looking forward to this ordeal.

However, they are starting to come under major scrutiny with the State Government and Media.
I went to the DMV Drivers license processing center. They only do Drivers licenses. I made an appointment online in advance. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:31pm   #17
Nox
A Real Barner
Points: 8,911, Level: 65
Activity: 4.3%
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,068
Thanks: 7
Thanked 770 Times in 347 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
AAA can't do the real ID thing either. The lady at AAA did tell me something I did not know, though. A passport will do everything the real ID will do, except one thing - purchase of a firearm.
Can you drive a car using your passport as a license?
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 05:01pm   #18
chinaski
A Real Barner
Points: 27,668, Level: 100
Activity: 26.1%
 
chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earthquakeville
Posts: 8,183
Thanks: 2,306
Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,030 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
I went to the DMV Drivers license processing center. They only do Drivers licenses. I made an appointment online in advance. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.
Where is this?

Just looked it up, the one on San Fernando Mission in Granada Hills, that's close to my house...

FYI, that entire shopping center is going to be torn down and Condo's are going up.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:03pm   #19
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Points: 54,853, Level: 100
Activity: 99.2%
 
MrPeabody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 30,407
Thanks: 11,807
Thanked 9,708 Times in 4,964 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2195339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
Can you drive a car using your passport as a license?
You can get a real ID that is not a driver's license. I was referring to ID uses.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:07pm   #20
Nox
A Real Barner
Points: 8,911, Level: 65
Activity: 4.3%
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,068
Thanks: 7
Thanked 770 Times in 347 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Where is this?

Just looked it up, the one on San Fernando Mission in Granada Hills, that's close to my house...

FYI, that entire shopping center is going to be torn down and Condo's are going up.
I recommend you go and get it done before they do.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55pm.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2019 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page