Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2019, 7:49am   #1
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393
Default WW2 history...that I never read......

March 3

What God did at Pearl Harbor that day is interesting and I never knew this little bit of history.

Tour boats ferry people out to the USS Arizona Memorial in Hawaii every thirty minutes. We just missed a ferry and had to wait thirty minutes. I went into a small gift shop to kill time.

In the gift shop, I purchased a small book entitled, "Reflections on Pearl Harbor" by Admiral Chester Nimitz.

Sunday, December 7th, 1941— Admiral Chester Nimitz was attending a concert in Washington, DC. He was paged and told there was a phone call for him. When he answered the phone, it was President Franklin Delano Roosevelt on the phone.

He told Admiral Nimitz that he (Nimitz) would now be the Commander of the Pacific Fleet. Admiral Nimitz flew to Hawaii to assume command of the Pacific Fleet. He landed at Pearl Harbor on Christmas Eve, 1941. There was such a spirit of despair, dejection and defeat--you would have thought the Japanese had already won the war.

On Christmas Day, 1941, Adm. Nimitz was given a boat tour of the destruction wrought on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese Big sunken battleships and navy vessels cluttered the waters everywhere you looked. As the tour boat returned to dock, the young helmsman of the boat asked, "Well Admiral, what do you think after seeing all this destruction?"

Admiral Nimitz's reply shocked everyone within the sound of his voice. Admiral Nimitz said, "The Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could ever make, or God was taking care of America. Which do you think it was?"

Shocked and surprised, the young helmsman asked, "What do mean by saying the Japanese made the three biggest mistakes an attack force ever made?

Nimitz explained:
Mistake number one:

The Japanese attacked on Sunday morning. Nine out of every ten crewmen of those ships were ashore on leave. If those same ships had been lured to sea and been sunk--we would have lost 38,000 men instead of 3,800.

Mistake number two:

When the Japanese saw all those battleships lined in a row, they got so carried away sinking those battleships, they never once bombed our dry docks opposite those ships. If they had destroyed our dry docks, we would have had to tow every one of those ships to America to be repaired. As it is now, the ships are in shallow water and can be raised. One tug can pull them over to the dry docks, and we can have them repaired and at sea by the time we could have towed them to America. And I already have crews ashore anxious to man those ships.

Mistake number three: Every drop of fuel in the Pacific theater of war is in top of the ground storage tanks five miles away over that hill. One attack plane could have strafed those tanks and destroyed our fuel supply.

That's why I say the Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could make or, God was taking care of America.

I've never forgotten what I read in that little book. It is still an inspiration as I reflect upon it. In jest, I might suggest that because Admiral Nimitz was a Texan, born and raised in Fredericksburg, Texas -- he was a born optimist.

But any way you look at it -- Admiral Nimitz was able to see a silver lining in a situation and circumstance where everyone else saw only despair and defeatism.

President Roosevelt had chosen the right man for the right job. We desperately needed a leader that could see silver lining in the midst of the clouds of dejection, despair and defeat.

There is a reason that our national motto is, IN GOD WE TRUST.

Why have we forgotten? PRAY FOR OUR COUNTRY! IN GOD WE TRUST.
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 8:53am   #2
erickpl
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $111433

Very interesting. Definitely sounded like a 'glass half full' person. He was the right man for the job.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 9:18am   #3
StaticCling
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,967 Times in 2,426 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46509956

Wow. Very interesting. Thx for posting.
StaticCling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 3:26pm   #4
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 79.5%

Thanked 10,871 Times in 5,071 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

Very
I just found out yesterday at my aunts wake that my Godfather and great uncle was involved in General Patton's Ghost army ! How cool is that

http://www.americainwwii.com/article...ns-ghost-army/
04 commemorative is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 04 commemorative For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 4:37pm   #5
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 commemorative View Post
Very
I just found out yesterday at my aunts wake that my Godfather and great uncle was involved in General Patton's Ghost army ! How cool is that

http://www.americainwwii.com/article...ns-ghost-army/
I had an EE Uncle from ATT who followed Patton in charge of rebuilding .comm stuff for the allies, telephones in them daze....

and like Patton, he suffered in a Jeep wreck, and was medically discharged, and on nitroglycerine tablets for rest of his life......I think Patton was killed in his wreck.....
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 6:44pm   #6
Dan Dlabay
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.2%

Thanked 5,731 Times in 2,515 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $875210

It was reported that after the attack Admiral Yamamoto commander of the Japanese navy told his staff that what was accomplished was to awaken a sleeping giant who's vengeance will be terrible.
Dan Dlabay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan Dlabay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 7:09pm   #7
Lakota
A Real Barner
Activity: 3.6%

Thanked 2,905 Times in 589 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2924

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
I had an EE Uncle from ATT who followed Patton in charge of rebuilding .comm stuff for the allies, telephones in them daze....

and like Patton, he suffered in a Jeep wreck, and was medically discharged, and on nitroglycerine tablets for rest of his life......I think Patton was killed in his wreck.....
Patton wasn't killed immediately. He was paralyzed from the neck down and was alive for two weeks.
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 7:18pm   #8
Lakota
A Real Barner
Activity: 3.6%

Thanked 2,905 Times in 589 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2924

Japan knew from the beginning that they could not win a war against the USA. Their objective was to gain territory for the natural resources they needed, like oil. They were hoping to then bargain a settlement with the USA and keep the territories.

Two days after Japan declared war on us, Italy declared war on the US and then days later Germany.

Britain got us to fight in Europe first. They told the USA that we could win against Japan on our own BUT wouldn't be able to win against Germany without Russian help. The Russians did the bulk of the fighting against Germany.
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 11:59pm   #9
Lakeside49
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1345

Thanks, MrVette!!
Lakeside49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeside49 For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic