Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2015, 3:40pm   #21
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
What is it with people and food. They act like they can't go a few hours without stuffing their pie hole. Give me a break. Eat your damn food before or after the flight.

My bad memory is of a flight and a whiff of some vial smelling crap a foreigner decided to unwrap once airborne.
I've had situations where I literally didn't get a chance to eat anything for many hours due to long waiting lines in security, tight connections, etc. It sucks, and eating the pretzels/peanuts they give you just to keep from getting light headed sucks.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 3:45pm   #22
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 33,024 Times in 14,164 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

i spent many years flying on business.

some pro tips: bring your own munchies. go to the grocery a day or two before and load up on some good stuff. fruit, granola bars, candy (watch the chocolate, it can melt and be messy), crackers. way more selection and cheaper than trying to find something once at the airport and under a time crunch. as for drinks, if security goons won't let you bring drinks thru the line (i haven't flown for a few years), no sweat, get a nalgene bottle, fill it up at a water fountain once thru the check point. it will take about 30 seconds. now you have 20-32 oz of water for the trip.

this really isn't that hard.

and if you don't eat everything you brought, it'll keep for next time or the return trip home.

DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 3:54pm   #23
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

Quote:
What is it with people and food.
'Food worriers.' If there's free food, they're first in line to make sure they get their portion. If they're serving food somewhere like a picnic or some department gathering at work, they're always first to make sure they get theirs. And if they should run out as has happened a time or two or someone gets the head count rong and they come up short? That's all they talk about for two days. "Johnny did get food!

Fuk Johnny, and fuk you, you fat bovine SOB you got yours didn't you? The Pity Train has derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up and Move On.

I worked with this one guy who used to follow the vending machine guy around taking all the expired sandwiches that were bound for the trash because. 'hey, they're still good!.' Digging in a garbage can and the guy clears $150K/year.
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giraffe (He/Him) For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 4:00pm   #24
Jobaka
Barn Stall Owner #79

Thanked 2,694 Times in 1,581 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
The Pity Train has derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up and Move On.
I may need to use that. Is it copyrighted? Do I need to pay royalties?
Jobaka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jobaka For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 4:02pm   #25
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobaka View Post
I may need to use that. Is it copyrighted? Do I need to pay royalties?
I think I picked that up on Twitter. Fair game.
The Following User Says Thank You to Giraffe (He/Him) For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 4:11pm   #26
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 12,538 Times in 5,853 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_c6 View Post
Having flown first class many times...they don't always have spare meals laying around. They usually only take the required number of meals for those passengers in First Class. I know this because I've asked to change my meal and was told they only have the exact number. Makes sense because why would the airline order 22 meals when there's only 20 people in FC...its a money waster.
BTDT. Sit in the last row in 1st class and many times you only get one choice in the meal since all alternatives meals are gone.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 4:22pm   #27
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,446 Times in 10,611 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
i spent many years flying on business.

some pro tips: bring your own munchies. go to the grocery a day or two before and load up on some good stuff. fruit, granola bars, candy (watch the chocolate, it can melt and be messy), crackers. way more selection and cheaper than trying to find something once at the airport and under a time crunch. as for drinks, if security goons won't let you bring drinks thru the line (i haven't flown for a few years), no sweat, get a nalgene bottle, fill it up at a water fountain once thru the check point. it will take about 30 seconds. now you have 20-32 oz of water for the trip.

this really isn't that hard.

and if you don't eat everything you brought, it'll keep for next time or the return trip home.

Southwest business select. peanuts. pretzels. beer. I had Fat Tire Ale x2 each way. Wife: "it's 10 am you gonna drink beer?" Me: "coupons came with the tickets, besides...it's 5 o'clock somewhere"
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 4:39pm   #28
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,431 Times in 17,235 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSpeed View Post
I find the odd part about this story is it said they went ahead and brought her a hot meal and she calmed down.

On top of it, they were flying from Florida going to Oregon and they landed in Utah? They were most of the way there.

They had maybe an hour or two to go and they chose to delay everyone on the plane for likely hours I'm sure by the time they landed, handled the situation, and got cleared to continue.
This. This right here. Was the girl really going to bring down the plane? I feel quite sure that the FA's and passengers could have restrained this girl if need be. They wanted to make an example of her and the mother, and that example screwed up schedules for not just every other passenger, but also for the air crew, and possibly people waiting to board the airplane at the intended destination.

This is an example by the pilot of, "just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should actually do it."

I'm sure if they had taken a voice vote of the passengers, they would have voted to just get where they were going.

Now, here's my "make people mad" thought:

How were these kids handled 50 years ago? 100 years ago? One of my best friends told me he had severe OCD as a kid. I would have never know it if he didn't tell me. You know why I would have never known it? His dad smacked him with a belt every time they caught him doing one of his non desirable OCD behaviors. My friend is about as stubborn as they come, but eventually, even he learned, don't do the undesirable behavior, because, I guess, he got tired of getting his bottom tanned with that belt. Yes, that sounds cruel, but my friend can now go through life without being a victim of that compulsive behavior.

I suspect that's the way this type of problem used to be handled. Of course, if the mom had paddled the daughter to stop the tantrum, people would be talking about what a bad mother she was, and how she should be arrested.

Remember how we thought it was great when the mother in Baltimore was smacking her kid for doing the wrong thing? Same principle applies here. I realize autistic kids react differently to things, but eventually, even for them corporal punishment works. I know this, because another friend of mine has a Down's son (pretty severe, the kid is barely verbal), and when he starts getting agitated, all my friend has to do is mention a spanking, and the agitated behavior stops.....immediately. I'm sure it took him years to get to that point, though.

[flame suit on]
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 4:44pm   #29
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Quote:
he got tired of getting his bottom tanned
Bottom tanned?

I didn't think you were THAT old.

'Thomas! If you pull a stunt like this again, you're gonna get,,

your bottom tanned!!'

Old 05-11-2015, 4:50pm   #30
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,431 Times in 17,235 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Bottom tanned?

I didn't think you were THAT old.

'Thomas! If you pull a stunt like this again, you're gonna get,,

your bottom tanned!!

Now you're cooking with gas!

Wiseacre.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 4:52pm   #31
justlookin
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1741710

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
This. This right here. Was the girl really going to bring down the plane? I feel quite sure that the FA's and passengers could have restrained this girl if need be. They wanted to make an example of her and the mother, and that example screwed up schedules for not just every other passenger, but also for the air crew, and possibly people waiting to board the airplane at the intended destination.

This is an example by the pilot of, "just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should actually do it."

I'm sure if they had taken a voice vote of the passengers, they would have voted to just get where they were going.

How were these kids handled 50 years ago? 100 years ago? One of my best friends told me he had severe OCD as a kid. I would have never know it if he didn't tell me. You know why I would have never known it? His dad smacked him with a belt every time they caught him doing one of his non desirable OCD behaviors. My friend is about as stubborn as they come, but eventually, even he learned, don't do the undesirable behavior, because, I guess, he got tired of getting his bottom tanned with that belt. Yes, that sounds cruel, but my friend can now go through life without being a victim of that compulsive behavior.

I suspect that's the way this type of problem used to be handled. Of course, if the mom had paddled the daughter to stop the tantrum, people would be talking about what a bad mother she was, and how she should be arrested.

Remember how we thought it was great when the mother in Baltimore was smacking her kid for doing the wrong thing? Same principle applies here. I realize autistic kids react differently to things, but eventually, even for them corporal punishment works. I know this, because another friend of mine has a Down's son (pretty severe, the kid is barely verbal), and when he starts getting agitated, all my friend has to do is mention a spanking, and the agitated behavior stops.....immediately. I'm sure it took him years to get to that point, though.

[flame suit on]

First bold part. Not always true. Plus there are better ways to deal with behavior then by hitting.

Second bold part. Not the same.

For your question of how they were handled in earlier times. Many were institutionalized. Most were not diagnosed as being Autistic.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 5:03pm   #32
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 23.0%

Thanked 33,861 Times in 12,340 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
you got yours didn't you? 'Food worriers.' If there's free food, they're first in line to make sure they get their portion.

Quote:
The Pity Train has derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up and Move On.
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 5:05pm   #33
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Quote:
Now you're cooking with gas!

Wiseacre.
Stop it!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2015, 5:28pm   #34
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 2,682 Times in 1,544 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Quote:

[flame suit on]
Yeah, you're gonna need that flame suit. You are talking out of your ass about something you know nothing about and have no experience with.

My sister (1960-1995) was autistic. And not the type of autistic like in the Rain Man bullshit movie. And not like the latest classifications of autism where they categorize many smaller problems under the autism umbrella.

What did they do 50 years ago? I can answer that seeing as how I was there at the time, albeit very young. They didn't do jack shit. There were no special education programs for these kids. My mother and other parents had to work to get the school system to start an educational program. She attended many conferences, gave speeches to educational groups and did many other things to get a program started. Back then the odds of being autistic were 1 in 2,500. They have since widened what autism covers since then for whatever reason.

To compare OCD to autism is ignorance. The two have nothing in common, although an autistic person can have OCD issues as well. If you have never dealt with an autistic person during a meltdown, you have no idea what it is like. You think the flight attendants and passengers can restrain someone during one of these meltdowns? Wrong. Try holding someone down when they are biting you hard enough to tear off a finger or even a hand. That is no exaggeration. The mother paddling the kid during a meltdown? It's pretty hard to paddle someone when they are attacking you.

I agree 100% with the pilot's call to make an emergency landing. It is his obligation to do what he feels is safest for the passengers, whether they realize it or not.
Millenium Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millenium Vette For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 5:33pm   #35
NeedSpeed
A Real Barner

Thanked 5,579 Times in 2,856 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1553643

If she didn't calm down I'd agree with landing. But with the limited info, it appears the situation was under control.
NeedSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 7:37pm   #36
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
I've had situations where I literally didn't get a chance to eat anything for many hours due to long waiting lines in security, tight connections, etc. It sucks, and eating the pretzels/peanuts they give you just to keep from getting light headed sucks.
You wouldn't get light headed, if you would stop flailing your head around
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 8:10pm   #37
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
Activity: 3.2%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,127 Times in 5,356 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256

My nephew is autistic. He has known stressors. We plan for them.

The mother was very specific with what her daughter needed. In other words, it was clearly a known stressor. She could easily have brought a cheeseburger from the food court and had it on hand, to have the crew heat it up...to resolve what she KNEW was a potential stressor. She didn't do that. Instead, she expected the crew to accommodate her for her lack of planning.

It seems they did accommodate her, but not before she threatened them with "what could happen" if they didn't. I find it funny that the mother thought her daughter's behavior may get so bad that she threatened them with it...and then was appalled that they took her at her word (regarding how bad it could get).

If the behaviors can get so bad that you use it to threaten someone, be prepared for them to take you at your word.
NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NEED-A-VETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 8:47pm   #38
markids77
A Real Barner
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 3,855 Times in 2,220 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1000483

And next time, drive. BTW, what's this crap about poverty??? Airfare and a swanky vacation do not speak of impoverishment.
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 8:55pm   #39
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,446 Times in 10,611 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Writing on her Facebook page, Dr Beegle said: "This was a sheer case of ignorance. Prejudice, ignorance and mistreatment are all too common toward people facing poverty."
Sorry about the kids problems. But fuk this mother bitch. How are you a doctor, flying from Oregon to Florida and back on a Disney vacation, and play the poverty card.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic