Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2021, 6:30am   #1
allthrottleandsomebottle
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,705 Times in 588 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1005893
Default Ford.............

Always bad when steam is rolling out of the hood......explorer plastic heater control valve nipple broke in a hose after 19 years of coolant and to close to the exhaust manifold.....good thing we were 5 miles from home! Didn't take long to fix.
there are (4) ports on this sucker as it also goes to the top of the oil filer.....
Attached Thumbnails
02 heater control valve 5-8-21.jpg2.jpg  

02 heater control valve 5-8-21.jpg  

allthrottleandsomebottle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to allthrottleandsomebottle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 6:58am   #2
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 56.1%

Thanked 23,894 Times in 9,917 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

So your Exploder exploded did it...
Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 8:01am   #3
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 3,956 Times in 1,657 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

19 years of service doesn’t seem all that bad? I’ve heard many manufacturers build their stuff to fail at about 10 years now.
Dan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dan47 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 9:23am   #4
MadInNc
Barn Stall Owner #103
Activity: 28.4%

Thanked 31,413 Times in 10,887 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108939

BIL had same happen on his Exploder about a month ago.....

Plastic .....jeez
MadInNc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadInNc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 9:36am   #5
Lakeside49
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1345

Every single non-maintenance (belts, hoses, pads, etc.) part that goes into a Ford is tested at the upper margin of “typical” or in many cases, “severe service” (I.e. tradesmen, and police applications as Explorer, F-Series, etc.) are tested to a minimum of 150,000 miles - some are simulated in “real world” labs/fixtures, and most are are actually driven in hot (AZ) and cold (MN) test conditions. Exterior components must endure 200 hrs. of continuous direct salt-spray with zero corrosion. Easily, 2/3 of prospective Ford component suppliers - often their CEO’s - pack up and walk out in disgust that the durability specs are “unfairly too ridiculous and expensive to achieve” (requiring capital to restructure their aftermarket or OE processes that their existing OE customers seem very pleased with. The design spec won’t budge. If data shows premature failure in a component in the field (again, F-Series, police. etc.) the spec is raised. These folks can’t afford to have any downtime and a lot of Ford’s engineer’s family earn/ed their living in the trades and understand the ramifications of a breakdown (and, wrath of a family member). You’d be surprised how driven the company is to continuously improve quality.
When the Fusion handily beat the Accord in its first or second year nobody in the media picked it up. Doesn’t matter.
Lakeside49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lakeside49 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 12:49pm   #6
allthrottleandsomebottle
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,705 Times in 588 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1005893

yeah I know it should have gone long ago........I **** with the GM guys about 20 years....
allthrottleandsomebottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 2:41pm   #7
Lakota
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 2,920 Times in 592 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside49 View Post
Every single non-maintenance (belts, hoses, pads, etc.) part that goes into a Ford is tested at the upper margin of “typical” or in many cases, “severe service” (I.e. tradesmen, and police applications as Explorer, F-Series, etc.) are tested to a minimum of 150,000 miles - some are simulated in “real world” labs/fixtures, and most are are actually driven in hot (AZ) and cold (MN) test conditions. Exterior components must endure 200 hrs. of continuous direct salt-spray with zero corrosion. Easily, 2/3 of prospective Ford component suppliers - often their CEO’s - pack up and walk out in disgust that the durability specs are “unfairly too ridiculous and expensive to achieve” (requiring capital to restructure their aftermarket or OE processes that their existing OE customers seem very pleased with. The design spec won’t budge. If data shows premature failure in a component in the field (again, F-Series, police. etc.) the spec is raised. These folks can’t afford to have any downtime and a lot of Ford’s engineer’s family earn/ed their living in the trades and understand the ramifications of a breakdown (and, wrath of a family member). You’d be surprised how driven the company is to continuously improve quality.
When the Fusion handily beat the Accord in its first or second year nobody in the media picked it up. Doesn’t matter.
Maybe the above is true for a work grade vehicle. Had a Ford passenger grade vehicle in the 90's and it was great until it had years on it and mileage.

Electrical stuff would fail and having the Ford factory tech manuals for it I would try to fix. No luck. Everything check OK according to the manual the numerous times I went through the procedure.

Read an article at the time which said that, Ford main concern for components was price and the lowest bidder got it. Toyota main concern was quality and they developed a long term relationship with suppliers.

My WWII generation Dad, uncle and aunt all said , they had a Ford at one time and had problems with it, and never bought another. I added myself to that list.
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 7:04pm   #8
MEANZ06
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.8%

Thanked 3,864 Times in 1,754 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4635916

Love my old Ford truck. Told my girls keep it forever or bury me in it
MEANZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 7:10pm   #9
Lakeside49
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1345
Default Ford.............

Totally agree. Depends on the year they owned their vehicle/s. All (100%, no exception including Jap/Koreans) had their dark days of quality challenges. Ford shocked it’s traditional supplier base in the 80s by increasing design and durability testing from 50,000 miles to 100,000 miles, probably to match Honda and Toyota, leaving the other US OEMs at the time behind. Then, in it was increased to a punishing 150,000 miles in the late 90’s. I remember some suppliers, and briefly, some Ford engineers, freaking out and suppliers wanting to significantly increase their costs - which was not easily accepted, hence the article you might have read.
Btw, if you want to “experiment” with a modern Ford or Lincoln vehicle, PM me and I’ll share one of my (4) personally allotted annual employee “X-Plan, “Family & Friends” new vehicle discount PIN codes for you or an immediate family member. It will normally save a few bucks and eliminates any need to negotiate.

I am not dissing any other OEMs. The industry newcomer, Elon Musk recently announced interviewed with talk show host, Joe Rogan (while sipping whiskey together). Rogan was sucking up about how amazing Tesla was doing in Aerospace, interplanetary plans, energy, finance and such - and, he asked Musk “what has been your greatest challenge so far?”, he instantaneously said “automotive”, explaining that it was “incredibly complex”. He said that “only Ford and Tesla have not declared bankruptcy, and only by the skin of our teeth.” So, just showing up every day to run the enterprise (I ran aftersales parts, and service shop process improvement) is a challenge for any OEM. But, I can attest that Ford’s ‘challenger complex’ (aka, inferiority complex) and deeply held “family owned/diverse” company culture is totally and deeply focused on the end customer - in NA, and overseas. Ford-Lincoln has a lot of great frontline Dealers, though it remains a daily, highest priority challenge given the entire industry’s large, impersonal Dealer group trend; and, all Dealer’s ability to attract and retain top talent to serve the customer who could have defected from the “Ford family”. Even our best Dealers, with today’s smaller families are often challenged to find a qualified son/daughter successor or outside manager/owner when they decide to retire, mostly because of the required hard work/acumen, expense, education/lengthy apprenticeship period, and natural passion/enthusiasm required to succeed in the OE automotive business. Anyway, the company is definitely out to adapt, win and succeed for another 118 years,,,God willing.
Lakeside49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 7:39pm   #10
markids77
A Real Barner
Activity: 11.5%

Thanked 3,851 Times in 2,217 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1000483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside49 View Post
Totally agree. Depends on the year they owned their vehicle/s. All (100%, no exception including Jap/Koreans) had their dark days of quality challenges. Ford shocked it’s traditional supplier base in the 80s by increasing design and durability testing from 50,000 miles to 100,000 miles, probably to match Honda and Toyota, leaving the other US OEMs at the time behind. Then, in it was increased to a punishing 150,000 miles in the late 90’s. I remember some suppliers, and briefly, some Ford engineers, freaking out and suppliers wanting to significantly increase their costs - which was not easily accepted, hence the article you might have read.
Btw, if you want to “experiment” with a modern Ford or Lincoln vehicle, PM me and I’ll share one of my (4) personally allotted annual employee “X-Plan, “Family & Friends” new vehicle discount PIN codes for you or an immediate family member. It will normally save a few bucks and eliminates any need to negotiate.
X plan is cool. Walk in, choose a vehicle, say I'm an X plan customer and get a real price almost instantly. Say yes or leave as the deal is the deal. Refreshing.
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic