Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2020, 9:56pm   #221
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3C7NIC View Post
It’s not the best time to be exposed, it’s about when is the medical facility near you least likely to be overloaded and most able to efficiently care for you.

You know, that little thing they keep talking about.....

“Flatten the curve”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Still no COVID19 patients in the hospital here. Still delaying previously scheduled exams, tests, treatments and surgeries because of something that might happen.
Pretty much the same way here. I hope it stays that way, too. Our county is pretty geographically isolated compared to others. In the summer we have a lot of tourists, but in the winter there's not much reason to be here unless you live here.

If I checked into the hospital with the virus right now I'd have access to about five doctors, ten nurses and five ventilators. Still adequate PPEs for all of them still, too. Who knows what it could look like a few weeks from now.

There are some cases in counties surrounding ours, but it hasn't really exploded yet.

So far all the masks my wife and her friends are making for the hospital are being given to employees to use outside of work or patients who are being discharged.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 9:58pm   #222
Raazor
2020 Election Expert
Activity: 9.4%

Location: Big Sky Country... Where the men are men, the sheep are nervous, and the winters are LOOONG!!!
Thanked 19,588 Times in 7,286 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1134156

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
So there you have it - he was describing a worst-case scenario in an effort to enlist Federal assistance. So you can stop crowing about how his prediction was wrong.
It's not wrong yet... it will be, but not yet.

It won't even be close.

Trump is guilty also. "This should be over with by August"...

It's sandbagging so they can gloat and tell the world what they did worked and they can get reelected.

They're ALL guilty of it. Doesn't make it right. And destroying the economy at the same time.

I'm not worried about me. I'm worried about most everyone I know who live paycheck to paycheck. I'm worried about all my high school and college buddies in town who own businesses that will fail. I'm worried about us spending $6,000,000,000,000 to fix the economy.

Do you realize there are 27 languages that have no word for Trillion?

2.9 million Americans died in 2019. How many will die in 2020?
Raazor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raazor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 10:14pm   #223
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raazor View Post

2 point ten!
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:38pm   #224
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 75.9%

Thanked 33,408 Times in 11,731 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
12 in the hospital in our state.
69 hospitals in Montana and 12 patients.
Attached Images

Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 11:06pm   #225
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 2,682 Times in 1,544 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Millenium Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 7:05am   #226
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 43.5%

Thanked 7,055 Times in 3,116 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
It's not wrong yet... it will be, but not yet.

It won't even be close.

Trump is guilty also. "This should be over with by August"...

It's sandbagging so they can gloat and tell the world what they did worked and they can get reelected.

They're ALL guilty of it. Doesn't make it right. And destroying the economy at the same time.

I'm not worried about me. I'm worried about most everyone I know who live paycheck to paycheck. I'm worried about all my high school and college buddies in town who own businesses that will fail. I'm worried about us spending $6,000,000,000,000 to fix the economy.

Do you realize there are 27 languages that have no word for Trillion?

And at the risk of getting pig-piled on again, has anyone seen the numbers from the last few days? Has definitely fallen off of exponential growth again.
Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 7:28am   #227
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 56.5%

Thanked 23,924 Times in 9,934 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

So it seems the media has switched to nurses blathering on tv(and some Dr's) about how bad it is, they didn't sign up for this amount of sickness and work. Well yes you did... If you didn't think it through beforehand that's on you. A plumber knows exactly what he's in for, an electrical lineman knows he's working in high winds with death always a possibility. A cop knows he can be hurt.
While I feel for nurses and doctors being inundated with an illness with no clear treatment plant, I don't expect them to blather about it either. Perhaps people are getting overly used to non stress at any time jobs and when it comes along they can't handle it(or not prepared) for it mentally.
Could be it's my mentality of non panic in an emergency situation, always time for worrying later.
Panic does nothing but harm in time of crisis. Be prepared and take whatever action you can.
Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 7:30am   #228
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,656 Times in 13,628 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

And at the risk of getting pig-piled on again, has anyone seen the numbers from the last few days? Has definitely fallen off of exponential growth again.
You won't get dog-piled by me. I see this as no different than taking away all guns because there were school shootings.

Close ALL businesses because a percentage of people are getting sick.
Make us stay home because we might get sick and then
NOT give us the cure or any medicine because...it might make us sick.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 7:40am   #229
Murray
A Real Barner
Activity: 14.7%

Thanked 11,262 Times in 4,003 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
So it seems the media has switched to nurses blathering on tv(and some Dr's) about how bad it is, they didn't sign up for this amount of sickness and work. Well yes you did... If you didn't think it through beforehand that's on you. A plumber knows exactly what he's in for, an electrical lineman knows he's working in high winds with death always a possibility. A cop knows he can be hurt.
While I feel for nurses and doctors being inundated with an illness with no clear treatment plant, I don't expect them to blather about it either. Perhaps people are getting overly used to non stress at any time jobs and when it comes along they can't handle it(or not prepared) for it mentally.
Could be it's my mentality of non panic in an emergency situation, always time for worrying later.
Panic does nothing but harm in time of crisis. Be prepared and take whatever action you can.
Doctors and nurses aren’t generally asked to put their own health at risk to help others. Many in the medical field have already died from the virus.

The ones putting their own health at risk by going to work everyday can talk about how bad it is all they want as far as I’m concerned.

Thankfully the ones sitting this one out at home for various reasons don’t see camera time
Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 7:40am   #230
Mick
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
You won't get dog-piled by me. I see this as no different than taking away all guns because there were school shootings.

Close ALL businesses because a percentage of people are getting sick.
Make us stay home because we might get sick and then
NOT give us the cure or any medicine because...it might make us sick.

The problem is that there are a lot of people who can't see that these two things are very different:

a. taking the threat seriously, and making appropriate behavior changes to protect yourself and others

b. get into a full-blown panic that this is definitely and uquestionably the end of the world as we know it so all measures, whether or not we have any idea if they will do any good or not, are justified

I am following path "a", while our so-called "leaders" are following path "b".

The next few weeks should be interesting as I expect the data to start showing that we reached the peak. It will be interesting to watch the tactics used to continue to whip up the panic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 7:42am   #231
C3C7NIC
Barn Stall Owner #102
Activity: 21.2%

Thanked 14,224 Times in 4,351 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23243

Quote:

From all the medical boards I am on as well as the incident command meetings we are having. what I am hearing is massive frustration that our organizations we work for were not prepared.

We constantly have JCACO accreditation/regulations compliance shoved down our throats, and NOW we are told to reuse gloves and masks, or use what you have (like a fuggin DIY fabric mask or come up with a DIY ventilator without a proper respiratory team??

Would be like sending a cop into a SWAT scenario with a 9mm and one cliip, or a mechanic to work on a semi with basic tools, or a plumber to fix a broken city main line with a shovel and small wrench.

Yes, "we" in the medical field knew we will be exposed to infectious diseases, work long hours and deal with exhaustion, but to do it without the tools we need to help patient OR protect ourselves is not acceptable. Clearly no nation was prepared for this, but the USA, not being a 3rd world country, should have done better.

So yes, would be like doing plu
C3C7NIC is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C3C7NIC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 7:45am   #232
Rodnok1
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Doctors and nurses aren’t generally asked to put their own health at risk to help others. Many in the medical field have already died from the virus.

The ones putting their own health at risk by going to work everyday can talk about how bad it is all they want as far as I’m concerned.

Thankfully the ones sitting this one out at home for various reasons don’t see camera time
Oh but they are asked every day, HIV, hepatitis, any number of blood born diseases one needle prick away from getting. Not to mention the flu seasonally. If they think they are not they have their heads ih the sand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 7:49am   #233
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
From all the medical boards I am on as well as the incident command meetings we are having. what I am hearing is massive frustration that our organizations we work for were not prepared.

We constantly have JCACO accreditation/regulations compliance shoved down our throats, and NOW we are told to reuse gloves and masks, or use what you have (like a fuggin DIY fabric mask or come up with a DIY ventilator without a proper respiratory team??

Would be like sending a cop into a SWAT scenario with a 9mm and one cliip, or a mechanic to work on a semi with basic tools, or a plumber to fix a broken city main line with a shovel and small wrench.

Yes, "we" in the medical field knew we will be exposed to infectious diseases, work long hours and deal with exhaustion, but to do it without the tools we need to help patient OR protect ourselves is not acceptable. Clearly no nation was prepared for this, but the USA, not being a 3rd world country, should have done better.

And you know what will change? Nothing. More taxes will be collected to better fund hospitals with NO oversight as to what happens to the money.

I'll bet ANYTHING that next year there will be stories of warehouses full of unused medical supplies purchased to deal with COVID 19 and now going to waste. Just like FEMA trailers after hurricanes and water in Puerto Rico. Money gets thrown at the problem so somebody can feel good about what they did and then it falls apart.
Old 04-05-2020, 7:50am   #234
Murray
A Real Barner
Activity: 14.7%

Thanked 11,262 Times in 4,003 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29012

Quote:
Oh but they are asked every day, HIV, hepatitis, any number of blood born diseases one needle prick away from getting. Not to mention the flu seasonally. If they think they are not they have their heads ih the sand.
All correct. But not a virus that can kill you.

Daughter is a psych nurse. She knew being stabbed, punched, kicked or spit on was a possibility, not a life ending virus.

Shit on the people there to help is an awesome thing to do. I’m sure many will be along shortly to agree with you.
Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 7:51am   #235
Rodnok1
A Real Barner

Quote:

I wonder if the lack of supplies comes from the on demand instead of stockpiles the country switched to decades ago, auto plants lead the way due to taxes. If you don't have it not taxed on it. I've seen auto plants shut down over a couple dozen window switches as thdy literally kept enough on hand for 1 day max.
Wonder if medical facilities pay taxes(and distributors etc) pay taxes on such items and why they don't keep a stockpile? Just a thought if they are perhaps that needs to be changed legally. Maybe ventilators aren't kept in large numbers of raises your taxes? I don't know just wondering.
As with all the veterans needing assistance post 9/11 funding has changed as well as facilities built, perhaps the same will happen after this... Unfortunately the lag time will not help with this incident.
Old 04-05-2020, 7:53am   #236
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
I wonder if the lack of supplies comes from the on demand instead of stockpiles the country switched to decades ago, auto plants lead the way due to taxes. If you don't have it not taxed on it. I've seen auto plants shut down over a couple dozen window switches as thdy literally kept enough on hand for 1 day max.
Wonder if medical facilities pay taxes(and distributors etc) pay taxes on such items and why they don't keep a stockpile? Just a thought if they are perhaps that needs to be changed legally. Maybe ventilators aren't kept in large numbers of raises your taxes? I don't know just wondering.
As with all the veterans needing assistance post 9/11 funding has changed as well as facilities built, perhaps the same will happen after this... Unfortunately the lag time will not help with this incident.
JIT manufacturing works if managed properly but one glitch shuts down the whole mess.
Old 04-05-2020, 7:57am   #237
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

The problem at its basic level is that we should be doing an actual quarantine, but we're not. A quarantine is: Find sick people, quarantine them from healthy people.

What we are doing is locking away perfectly healthy people, making rendering aid to the sick even that much more difficult. It's got to stop. Like one doctor said last night, WASH YOUR HANDS AND DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE. And then wash those hands again. That will stop the transmission of this virus quite effectively. There are a couple of treatments now, we should be producing their components right this second, and they should be made over the counter, right now. Ask people to limit their travel for awhile, like stay in a two county area or something like that.

That would work every bit as well as the cluster we have right now. And in case anyone is wondering, yes HCQ pills were over-the-counter in many countries for decades, and it wasn't an issue whatsoever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 8:00am   #238
Mick
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
JIT manufacturing works if managed properly but one glitch shuts down the whole mess.
JIT manufacturing is intended for continuous processes with known production rates. That is about as bad a match with health care as I can imagine.

I have said this all along: the problems presently being experienced in the health care industry are a failure of MANAGEMENT, not providers. Doctors and Nurses are not the ones making gloves, masks, and ventilators, nor are they responsible for setting and maintaining appropriate stocking levels any further up the chain than their own office or hospital.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 8:05am   #239
Strats-N-Vettes
SOME Real Barner
Activity: 8.1%

Thanked 25,339 Times in 9,150 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2034428

More tests are now available than two weeks ago.

This equates into more people will test positive than two weeks ago.

The media (and others) will turn that into:
"it's getting worse...we gonna die!"
Strats-N-Vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strats-N-Vettes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 8:07am   #240
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

And watch this. What do you want to bet that one of these treatments that are proving to be promising for treating coronavirus also are found to work on other diseases like the regular flu, common cold, etc? It's so weird the push-back on these treatments in some quarters. It's almost like they would rather you die than try them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic