Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Yesterday, 10:23am   #1
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 28,093 Times in 11,876 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209
Default Grass Growers Step Inside (No, Adog....not that kinda grass)

So, I'm trying to get my lawn to fill in. It's St. Augustine grass and coming along slowly, but the parts that get a lot of direct sun are either bare or have little to no grass. I wish I had the time to till the front yard and replace with Bermuda Grass because it looks more betterer, but then the neighbors weeds would encroach and kill that, too.

I've put down weed and feed fertilizer, waited a few weeks to put down grass seed (40% mix), and I water it every other day.

It's just not looking baller enough for my liking. Where can I go to find out what's best for fertilizer, seed, and proper watering in my area? Any tips and tricks?
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:27am   #2
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,028 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Get rid of that land yacht and let the sun shine in.
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38am   #3
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bob View Post
Get rid of that land yacht and let the sun shine in.
I think it has more to do with the small forest to the south that is my back yard.
Old Yesterday, 10:41am   #4
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
I think it has more to do with the small forest to the south that is my back yard.
Google says

What is the most shade-tolerant St. Augustine grass?
Palmetto
The most shade tolerant variety is Palmetto, which only requires 3-4 hours of direct sunlight. Don't make the mistake of assuming that all St. Augustines are the same. Make a good assessment of how much sunlight your lawn is getting, and choose your variety accordingly!
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:54am   #5
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

I've been reading what the county extension office puts out every year.

https://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/clay/lawn--garden/
Old Yesterday, 11:14am   #6
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,597 Times in 17,312 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

The growing season should be getting into full swing in your tropical climate, and St. Augustine will shoot runners that should eventually fill in bare spots. All you need to do is make sure that you're preventing weeds from propagating in the bare areas while you wait. You could also sod or plug the areas with St. Augustine.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:19am   #7
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The growing season should be getting into full swing in your tropical climate, and St. Augustine will shoot runners that should eventually fill in bare spots. All you need to do is make sure that you're preventing weeds from propagating in the bare areas while you wait. You could also sod or plug the areas with St. Augustine.
I'm wondering how well throwing down a bunch of seed in the bare spots, covering with hay or the black mesh, and watering will work. Wouldn't cost as much as sod, either.
Old Yesterday, 11:28am   #8
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
I'm wondering how well throwing down a bunch of seed in the bare spots, covering with hay or the black mesh, and watering will work. Wouldn't cost as much as sod, either.
There's no St. Augustine seed that I am aware of. You can toss out bermuda seed, which will fill in the areas, then let nature battle as the St. Augustine and bermuda fight it out for dominance.

Either way, I think you're overthinking this. The adjacent St. Augustine WANTS to spread, that's what it does. You just need patience, grasshopper. You've already put down fertilizer and you're watering.....that's more than enough.

Putting straw, visqueen, etc. down is just going to inhibit the adjacent St. Augustine from doing its thing.

My postage stamp size front yard suffered horribly from our extended drought last year, and I actually lost some St. Augustine because I refused to water. So I've got bare spots. I simply sprayed to kill the Winter annual weeds that started coming up, bringing those spots back to bare, and the St. Augustine is starting to fill them in, no help whatsoever from me. I'm both patient, and lazy.

Edit: If you want to draw the St. Augustine to the bare areas, concentrate your watering on that edge, where the St. Augustine stops and the bare spots begin. Those runners will enjoy heading towards area where they can get a drink along the way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 11:49am   #9
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 71.9%

Thanked 33,717 Times in 13,663 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

I have had a huge bare spot in my yard for two or three years now. I have put Bermuda seed and it died. I have put down sod, it died. More sod, it died.

I assume there is Uranium underground that is killing any living thing around.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 11:54am   #10
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
There's no St. Augustine seed that I am aware of. You can toss out bermuda seed, which will fill in the areas, then let nature battle as the St. Augustine and bermuda fight it out for dominance.

Either way, I think you're overthinking this. The adjacent St. Augustine WANTS to spread, that's what it does. You just need patience, grasshopper. You've already put down fertilizer and you're watering.....that's more than enough.

Putting straw, visqueen, etc. down is just going to inhibit the adjacent St. Augustine from doing its thing.

My postage stamp size front yard suffered horribly from our extended drought last year, and I actually lost some St. Augustine because I refused to water. So I've got bare spots. I simply sprayed to kill the Winter annual weeds that started coming up, bringing those spots back to bare, and the St. Augustine is starting to fill them in, no help whatsoever from me. I'm both patient, and lazy.

Edit: If you want to draw the St. Augustine to the bare areas, concentrate your watering on that edge, where the St. Augustine stops and the bare spots begin. Those runners will enjoy heading towards area where they can get a drink along the way.
That's got to be the best explanation I've seen on the interwebs so far
Old Yesterday, 11:54am   #11
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
I have had a huge bare spot in my yard for two or three years now. I have put Bermuda seed and it died. I have put down sod, it died. More sod, it died.

Stop planting the dead hookers in your yard
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 11:58am   #12
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 19.8%

Thanked 1,887 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:

This is good advice. Regarding Bermuda, the hybrid varieties that are shade and drought tolerant, don't produce seed. They can only be purchased as sod. You can buy "hybrid looking" seed but it won't look or grow nearly as well as a hybrid Bermuda. The most drought, shade and wear tolerant Bermuda is Tiff-Tuff, but it requires A LOT of water. I have a Tiff-Tuff Bermuda lawn and it was absolutely decimated by last year's drought. We weren't allowed to water our lawns last year so my yard went from lush green to burnt brown. It's just beginning to recover now.

If you spread common Bermuda seed on top of your St Augustine, it most likely won't grow, as it needs to be planted into the ground at least 1/8". Some of it might germinate but because St Augustine is cut at a much higher cutting height than Bermuda, what Bermuda does grow will look like weeds in your St Augustine. The only way to establish a full Bermuda lawn is to kill of the existing lawn and then lay Bermuda sod.

Bermuda grass is actually a weed, so you must be very careful with weed killers and pre emergents. Also, for Bermuda to really flourish, it needs to be mowed very low...like 3/4" to 1". The best way to mow a Bermuda lawn is with a reel mower. I have two of them and good ones aren't cheap. When the grass goes dormant, it needs to be scalped, which means it needs to be cut down to the dirt level. It's a lot of work, but ifbit's maintained correctly, I think it's the best looking grass.
jw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jw38 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 12:03pm   #13
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 71.9%

Thanked 33,717 Times in 13,663 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Stop planting the dead hookers in your yard
They weren't dead when I planted them.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 12:25pm   #14
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post

Is it particularly shady there? St. Augustine just won't grow well if it's constantly shaded, like under a live oak tree. My neighbors thinned out their trees, brought in topsoil, and sodded an area underneath a live oak and the St. Augustine lived for a while, but eventually just disappeared as the tree's canopy filled in.
Old Yesterday, 12:28pm   #15
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117
Activity: 82.7%

Thanked 10,905 Times in 4,013 Posts

Just pave paradise and put up a parking lot.

With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swingin' hot spot.
Tikiman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tikiman For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 12:33pm   #16
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Is it particularly shady there? St. Augustine just won't grow well if it's constantly shaded, like under a live oak tree. My neighbors thinned out their trees, brought in topsoil, and sodded an area underneath a live oak and the St. Augustine lived for a while, but eventually just disappeared as the tree's canopy filled in.
My parts of the lawn that are always in the shade have the best, and thickest st. augustine grass on the entire lawn.
Old Yesterday, 12:34pm   #17
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
Just pave paradise and put up a parking lot.

With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swingin' hot spot.
We kinda did this in Italy when I was a kid. Dad was making a joke to the land lord about having to mow a tiny patch of grass in the front yard. We came home one day and the entire thing was covered in cement. A couple weeks later, he laid down tile. that was awesome but slippery as hell when it rained.
Old Yesterday, 1:00pm   #18
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

And this might be the coolest way to put down fertilizer and seed.

Old Today, 5:09am   #19
Trapper Sean
Vette Barn Regular
Activity: 5.4%

I've been getting a little smarter about St Augustine. It's taken me only 10 years to figure things out. But I still don't keep up with the frequent work input required, so mine is still not all good.

Step One: start with good sod. Trying revive or wait on stunted existing grass can take a while. The sod farms are allowed to use chemicals not labeled for residential, such as Asulox, which kills southern crabgrass and spares St. Augustine. Because StA and crabgrass are physiologically similar, there aren't many crabgrass remedies. then the .gov takes them away.

No water? No grass. You must have sprinkler systems than run frequently. Based on your water bill and price of municipal water, you may need a well.

Watering your StA frequently? Then you will have fungus. Gaeumannomyces graminis var. graminis, or Take All Root Rot will move in. The only antifungals sold at Lowes/Homey Depot that will put a dent in it are Scotts DiseaseX with Azoxystrobin, and BioAdvanced Disease Control with Tebuconazole. Infuriatingly maybe, the ones labeled Fungus control for lawns use old antifungal agents that are useless against TARR. Not sure why Morgan and Morgan hasnt sued Lowes and Homey Depot for continuing to rip people off with these. Next you need to understand how these work and dont work. They are systemics, which means the healthy grass takes it up into the xylem and phloem of the plant. With this, the grass is then resistant to catching the TARR bug. The azoxystrobin or tebuconazole does NOT directly kill fungus, does no good on bare spots of dirt, and cannot revive browning grass. You must put the antifungal on healthy grass BEFORE any sign of distress and re-apply AT LEAST every 2 months, Label says every month. Of course you can do your own personal research and seek out products labeled for golf courses etc and violate EPA regs as you wish - I cant endorse that on a public forum. See also Asulox.

Other miscellaneous tips .... use Black Kow brand cow manure to easily add organic matter to otherwise sandy Florida soil sand. On bare spots or directly on top of grass. Dont mow too short. StA likes to be tall. RoundUp for the Lawn will kill dollarweed and other pests without yellowing StA too much. Use BioAdvanced concentrate at your own risk - yellows or kills StA if too strong. Bayer Celsius is a pro product that works pretty well and even kills some species of "crabgrass" (there are at least 5 species of "crabgrass" in Florida.") Soil grubs can become a significant hidden pest. Put down some kind of longer lasting soil insecticide once in a while. Iron is more bioavailable in an acid pH soil, and a lot of Florida sandy soils tend to lean basic pH. Plan A: put down something to acidify the soil. Haha good luck with trying to shift the pH of an entire lawn with a little bag of something. Forget plan A. Plan B: put down a sh!tload of iron. The brand names and sunniland offer these. You can put down a lot without risk. Also Scotts Max Green is maximum green because it has about twice as much iron as their other products. Lawn fertilizers often (always?) have a Zero 0 as the middle number for phosphorus. Its my belief this is for eco- EPA purposes of minimizing phosphorus runoff from lawns into bodies of water. Garden fertilizers will have a middle number and some phosphorus. At your own discretion you could occasionally put down some garden fertilizer to supply phosphorus. Go light because the first number Nitrogen in garden fertilizer is not slow-release like lawn fertilizer. Garden fertilizer is Release-now nitrogen that will burn StA if you put out too much. Ask me how I know.

Sidebar: I think Magnolia trees also get this fungus, but it just yellows, stunts, spots leaves, does not kill. If you're spraying your StA with tebuconazole, spray the magnolias also.

Some of my neighbors just bend over and call The Man, but even this is no guarantee of success. The Man just has everything premixed into one spray at EPA-approved (low) concentration and cheapest chemicals they can get.
Trapper Sean is online now   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic