Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2024, 1:57pm   #201
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,457 Times in 10,616 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Hell we still don’t have the facts from the shooting that happened a year ago today by the transgender mental case.
Or the one at the gay club in Miami by the Muslim terrorist.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 3:08pm   #202
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118
Activity: 57.6%

Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,187 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002672

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
I literally have run a boat under that bridge. And at night. And that navigation channel is freaking huge wide. Those cargo ships could pilot under the bridge going sideways.

I believe the pilot missed the mark. And I also know that we will never know the truth.

How big was your boat Mr. Expert?
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 3:15pm   #203
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,545 Times in 2,658 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
I bet that 45-47 years ago when the bridge was built there were more competent ship captains and harbor pilots. So they didn’t need idiot guards.
45 years ago we didn't have the terrorist threats that we have now. A fully loaded ship full commandeered by terrorists, intentionally steered into a bridge pier during rush hour traffic...

And unlike an airliner, the perpetrators could haul ass away in a fast boat.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 3:21pm   #204
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118

The odds of those getting caught here in the US are 99.9% unlike most other countries where they simply vanish like a fart in the wind
Old 03-27-2024, 4:22pm   #205
theandies
A Real Barner
Activity: 18.0%

Thanked 1,230 Times in 499 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Because stopping a 90,000 ton ship going 9 mph is easy.
Then why did they put them on the Tampa bridge AFTER it was stuck and failed? Because it's better than nothing.

Quote:
"When the first Skyway Bridge was built in 1954, what they had to protect the bridge from ships was a series of 2x4's nailed to pilings," said DeYoung. "So when the Summit Venture hit the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, there was no protection at all."

When the new Bob Graham Sunshine Skyway Bridge opened in 1987, the state had spent millions of dollars on safety bumpers in the waters below the span designed to protect the structure.

ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING. And why our inept government didn't mandate this for any large water crossing after Tampa is beyond me. I guess not enough people died.
theandies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 4:30pm   #206
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewfoot View Post
How big was your boat Mr. Expert?
You remain an idiot.
Where did I say that I was an expert. I didn’t you ignorant fool.

I will indulge you with the facts though. I ran my BIL’s 27’ Trojan FB and his 31’ Bertram FBSF all over the Patapsco River, Middle River, Baltimore Harbor, Curtis Bay, Stony Creek, Rock Creek and much of the upper Chesapeake Bay. Including the Hart and Miller islands. My sister and bil lived on the water in Edgmere off the Brewer Channel. And another sister who lived near the water in Fells Point and kept their 30’ Tierra at a nearby marina. (Although I never ran that boat. But spent plenty of time on it).

I also was on many smaller rigs out of Essex on Back River, or out of Dundalk on Preach creek or Bullneck Bay and several charter boats in those waters fishing for Rockfish. Even today 30 years later I know that I could navigate those waters with nothing more than a compass and a paper nav map.

I grew up there. My dad worked at the steel mill at Sparrows Point. I have family and friends who worked at the port (some still do). I know the area and the waters quite well. But never claimed expert status.

Wise up fool.
Old 03-27-2024, 4:39pm   #207
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
The odds of those getting caught here in the US are 99.9% unlike most other countries where they simply vanish like a fart in the wind
Tell that to the widow and 1 year old baby of the murder NY officer Jonathan Diller who was killed a couple of days ago by a thug with at least 20 priors.
It’s democrat ****wads like yourself who have blood on your hands because the liberals who you support won’t prosecute these thugs usually because they are black.

Go ahead and look at this picture and remember it tonight when you lay your head down. I hope it haunts you and keeps you awake.

Name:  IMG_8967.jpeg
Views: 75
Size:  69.2 KB
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 4:43pm   #208
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 12.2%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,204 Times in 4,373 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
I agree. But it sure looks like the ship was on the west edge of the channel on the approach.
It was on the north or east side; they call it north. Not knowing whether tides/ starboard/starboard harbor config, or other made them choose that, but it's actually pretty normal.

They hit the south support.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 4:49pm   #209
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
It was on the north or east side; they call it north. Not knowing whether tides/ starboard/starboard harbor config, or other made them choose that, but it's actually pretty normal.

They hit the south support.
The bridge runs on an NE/SW direction. The ship was on the westerly side of the channel. The support that the ship hit was on the SW side of the channel.
I posted west but should have been more specific.
Old 03-27-2024, 4:58pm   #210
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,455 Times in 17,246 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Tell that to the widow and 1 year old baby of the murder NY officer Jonathan Diller who was killed a couple of days ago by a thug with at least 20 priors.
It’s democrat ****wads like yourself who have blood on your hands because the liberals who you support won’t prosecute these thugs usually because they are black.

Go ahead and look at this picture and remember it tonight when you lay your head down. I hope it haunts you and keeps you awake.

Attachment 99067
I agree the guy who shot him is clearly a scumbag, no question. No question that this cop didn't deserve to get shot, but as best I can ascertain from the various news stories, the shooter was parked or standing in front of a bus stop, and this cop made contact, demanding ID, get out of the car, etc.

Had the cop simply told the guy to move along, he can't stand or park in front of a bus stop, that probably would have ended the interaction with nobody getting shot. In other words, it reads to me like this officer wanted to make a big deal over some ticky tack bullshit, and he found a guy that wasn't having any of that.

The only way it doesn't track that way is if the guy had warrants, the officer had already run the tag and discovered the guy was wanted. That's possible, and if so, I don't blame the cop for demanding the ID, get out of the car, etc. That would certainly be justified.

But I haven't read yet that the guy actually had a warrant or warrants. And if that was the case, he was wanted, I don't understand why this cop didn't call for a little backup if he knew he was dealing with a 21 time criminal with warrants before engaging the guy.

Again, either way, the cop didn't deserve what happened, just to be clear.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 5:06pm   #211
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 12.2%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,204 Times in 4,373 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
The bridge runs on an NE/SW direction. The ship was on the westerly side of the channel. The support that the ship hit was on the SW side of the channel.
I posted west but should have been more specific.
The boat left the dock did a u and came down the port side of the channel, which is east, and north. I do not know the oncoming approach protocol in the BMore Harbor, but I will blindly bet you $100 it was starboard yesterday. Port is fairly standard most places, but the master clearly brought it down the north side of the channel. The collision happened as the boat turned almost directly south.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 3.57.50 PM.png  

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 4.00.57 PM.png  

ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 5:19pm   #212
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118

Quote:
You remain an idiot.
Where did I say that I was an expert. I didn’t you ignorant fool.

I will indulge you with the facts though. I ran my BIL’s 27’ Trojan FB and his 31’ Bertram FBSF all over the Patapsco River, Middle River, Baltimore Harbor, Curtis Bay, Stony Creek, Rock Creek and much of the upper Chesapeake Bay. Including the Hart and Miller islands. My sister and bil lived on the water in Edgmere off the Brewer Channel. And another sister who lived near the water in Fells Point and kept their 30’ Tierra at a nearby marina. (Although I never ran that boat. But spent plenty of time on it).

I also was on many smaller rigs out of Essex on Back River, or out of Dundalk on Preach creek or Bullneck Bay and several charter boats in those waters fishing for Rockfish. Even today 30 years later I know that I could navigate those waters with nothing more than a compass and a paper nav map.

I grew up there. My dad worked at the steel mill at Sparrows Point. I have family and friends who worked at the port (some still do). I know the area and the waters quite well. But never claimed expert status.

Wise up fool.

Well, you seem to talk up quite bit. Was just curious on your experience in a vessel of that size? You speak of DEI. Really? You feel the pilot missed the mark. Possible, but if the engines failed and or controllability is lost, marks are irrelevant. Shoot, you can apply this to a go kart!

Shit Happens and the first thing you come up with is DEI or 1/2 a dozen other leftist finger pointing when one has nothing to do with the other.
Old 03-27-2024, 5:21pm   #213
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118

Quote:

Attachment 99067
Bullshit and you know it. I will sleep just fine tonight because this goes on daily by hundreds of resident white guys.? Where's your argument here?

I guess it is "acceptable losses" for residents to murder but not or illegals or documented? WTH is that?
Old 03-27-2024, 5:31pm   #214
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,455 Times in 17,246 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Bullshit and you know it. I will sleep just fine tonight because this goes on daily by hundreds of resident white guys.? Where's your argument here?

Oh, I guess only illegals murder.
It's the same argument made by any lawyer suing over a defective product. But for the negligence of the Brandon regime, letting illegal criminals into the US, like the one that raped and murdered Laken Riley many Americans would be alive and well, would still have their stuff, and wouldn't be victims right now. But for the leftist policies that allowed this 21 time criminal to be out in the streets, that cop would be alive, right now, today. There's a direct cause and effect here, not some abstract theoretical math.

Remember the Takata airbag mess? They were defective, so when they went off, they shot lethal shrapnel right at the driver, killing some, maiming many more. Had Takata not screwed up and shipped defective airbags, those people would be alive today. And that's not actually as bad as what Team Brandon is doing. Team Brandon is INTENTIONALLY flooding the country with the human version of time bomb airbags, just waiting to go off.

LATB, correct me if I'm wrong here, I am pretty sure that's your argument.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 5:42pm   #215
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Well, you seem to talk up quite bit. Was just curious on your experience in a vessel of that size? You speak of DEI. Really? You feel the pilot missed the mark. Possible, but if the engines failed and or controllability is lost, marks are irrelevant. Shoot, you can apply this to a go kart!

Shit Happens and the first thing you come up with is DEI or 1/2 a dozen other leftist finger pointing when one has nothing to do with the other.
You remain a clueless libidiot.
Old 03-27-2024, 5:43pm   #216
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:

I guess it is "acceptable losses" for residents to murder but not or illegals or documented? WTH is that?
You will sleep fine in your home with steel bars on the windows. How special. You are too stupid to realize that it’s the liberal policies that cause this chit.
Dumbass.
Old 03-27-2024, 5:45pm   #217
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 6.8%

Thanked 33,025 Times in 14,165 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Quote:
Originally Posted by theandies View Post
Then why did they put them on the Tampa bridge AFTER it was stuck and failed? Because it's better than nothing.

ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING. And why our inept government didn't mandate this for any large water crossing after Tampa is beyond me. I guess not enough people died.
there will always the be question, "who will pay for it?" usually Uncle Sugar will not pay for all of something, part, but not all. so that leaves the locals to raise the difference. mayor smith doesn't have a printing press, he actually has to raise taxes/cut spending to come up with the money.

and most politicians would look at spending $$$ to protect a bridge that has never been hit as a waste of their money they could spend elsewhere on other projects that directly impact their voters. rip rap does not have a natural constituency, but senior centers do. so do schools and new roads....thus no one was looking to spend money protecting bridges from impact.

and how many bridges link Manhattan to the rest of the world?
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 5:45pm   #218
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
It's the same argument made by any lawyer suing over a defective product. But for the negligence of the Brandon regime, letting illegal criminals into the US, like the one that raped and murdered Laken Riley many Americans would be alive and well, would still have their stuff, and wouldn't be victims right now. But for the leftist policies that allowed this 21 time criminal to be out in the streets, that cop would be alive, right now, today. There's a direct cause and effect here, not some abstract theoretical math.

Remember the Takata airbag mess? They were defective, so when they went off, they shot lethal shrapnel right at the driver, killing some, maiming many more. Had Takata not screwed up and shipped defective airbags, those people would be alive today. And that's not actually as bad as what Team Brandon is doing. Team Brandon is INTENTIONALLY flooding the country with the human version of time bomb airbags, just waiting to go off.

LATB, correct me if I'm wrong here, I am pretty sure that's your argument.
Most of the problems we face are the result of liberal policies. And people who are being killed by these policies and political correctness.
Old 03-27-2024, 5:50pm   #219
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
The boat left the dock did a u and came down the port side of the channel, which is east, and north. I do not know the oncoming approach protocol in the BMore Harbor, but I will blindly bet you $100 it was starboard yesterday. Port is fairly standard most places, but the master clearly brought it down the north side of the channel. The collision happened as the boat turned almost directly south.
I just spoke with a friend up there and he said early reports circulating around are the ship was 100 feet SW outside the channel on approach of the bridge. And that is consistent with what I have seen in the reported videos and maps.
Old 03-27-2024, 6:10pm   #220
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118

Well, the workers killed while filling potholes were from south of the border.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic