Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2024, 9:56pm   #1
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,487 Times in 17,261 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492
Default Some Heroes Don't Wear Capes: Australia Edition

https://files.catbox.moe/wailgb.mp4

"What future do you want for your children?"
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:00pm   #2
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 70.1%

Thanked 33,468 Times in 11,753 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

I don’t think I’d call anyone a hero in that video.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 10:02pm   #3
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
UK? Sounded Australian to me. I don’t think I’d call anyone a hero in that video.
Edited. Yes, he mentions Queensland, and the name of an old Australian woman who was recently stabbed to death by an illegal. Sorry. I just assumed UK.

"You're damning your children and your grandchildren."

Dude is brutal, but maybe that's what those women need to hear.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:03pm   #4
cptlo306
Senior Lurker
Barn Stall Owner #95
Activity: 1.8%

Thanked 1,217 Times in 584 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $750520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
I don’t think I’d call anyone a hero in that video.
Agreed.

I'm all for stopping illegal immigration and even limiting legal immigration but that guy is an asshat that deserved to get knocked on his ass.
cptlo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cptlo306 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 10:27pm   #5
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Here's the incident he's talking about:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ion-queensland

Quote:
Stabbed in front of her granddaughter, Vyleen White’s death sparks racial tension in Queensland

South Sudanese community’s condemnation of attack prompts death threats as government toughens stance on youth crime

Ben Smee and Andrew Messenger
Fri 9 Feb 2024 09.00 EST

One way out of Redbank Plains is via the prisons. There are six of them built side-by side along the motorway back to Brisbane. The two youth detention centres rarely have spare beds.

On Thursday at the African village centre at Redbank Plains, one by one, women from the local community approach Beny Bol and ask to speak to him privately. They are weeping.

“They said: ‘God bless you, we want … to sit down with you to express our feelings about our children that we brought here hoping they will have a better future,’” says Bol, a South Sudanese refugee and the president of the Queensland African Communities Council.

“They said: ‘They’re finishing somewhere between prison and death. We do not have light any more.’”

A few hundred metres down the road, at the new Town Square shopping centre, is a growing memorial to Vyleen White, 70, who was stabbed and killed in the underground carpark last Saturday, in front of her six-year-old granddaughter.

Police have charged five teenage boys from the area in relation to the incident, including a 16-year-old who is accused of White’s murder. Officers allege the motive was to steal White’s car, a light blue 2009 Hyundai Getz.

The killing has exposed familiar sores in Queensland, where youth crime has become a key election issue.

Some commentary has sought to draw attention to the African background of the accused boys. The police union president and some rightwing politicians have called for serious young offenders who aren’t Australian citizens to be deported. Bol says the African community has been “under siege” in recent days, including reports of physical attacks and abuse.
Detention centres filled

“Mum always said: ‘If I died, no one would care,’” says Cindy Micallef, the eldest daughter of Vyleen White.

“Sorry Mum, you’re sort of in a bit of a spotlight now.”

Debate about youth crime in Queensland has tended to escalate sharply following high-profile incidents; many recent situations involving young offenders have prompted punitive shifts from the Labor state government, which last year twice introduced new laws that required an override of protections in the Human Rights Act

Combined with aggressive policing tactics – which have involved arrest-focused high-visibility operations, particularly in regional areas – the response has filled youth detention centres, where long lockdowns and solitary confinement have been common. Children are routinely kept in police watch houses – in troubling conditions – waiting weeks for a detention bed.

It is no wonder, youth advocates say, they overwhelmingly reoffend.

And yet each policy shift – designed, the government says, to meet “community expectations” for consequences and punishment – has brought that system under further strain.

The state opposition leader, David Crisafulli, is seeking to remove the international law principle of “detention as a last resort” from the Youth Justice Act. The premier, Steven Miles, rebuffed such calls this week but sources within the government say they are concerned it could be placed on the table in an attempt to alleviate political pressure ahead of an election in October.

At the Town Square, opinions are going cheap. Sandy, a shopkeeper, says she keeps a stick behind the counter. Several people spoke about general concerns about young school students.

“I obviously want more police presence up there,” says Tayla Jefferson, who is campaigning for a permanent police beat.

“Everything I’m looking at is kind of as a preventative measure. I know nothing’s ever going to eradicate the crime.”

Some say things would be better if children faced tougher consequences. One couple, who Guardian Australia has chosen not to name, says the problem is immigrants with “no respect for the police or authority” who have failed to assimilate.

Bol, who has worked with young people here for more than a decade, sees the problem differently. He says the young people from his community involved in criminal activity are almost invariably those raised predominantly in Australia. He has previously described those issues as “a failure within this country”.

“The young people who are contributing to this, they only know Australia,” he says.

“If you look at people who are doing well and contributing positively to Australia, these are people who came here when they were relatively older.

“They know why they came, what happened. They appreciate the opportunity and the past. They work so hard to make sure they are contributing to this country.”

The South Sudanese Community Association posted a “letter of condemnation” on Facebook about the attack, offering condolences to White’s family. The comments in response include death threats and calls for violence against the community.

Prof Rob White, a criminologist at the University of Tasmania, says the trend is towards fewer crimes being committed by migrant and refugee communities.

He says moral panics – especially those targeting visible minorities – can expose people to racist attacks and also generate “resentment and resistance on the part of those targeted”.

“This is especially the case with young people, who may develop a chip on the shoulder and ‘push back’ accordingly,” Prof White says.

“Rather than reaching for the holster, we need to consider how best to bolster. In other words, punitive policies and rhetoric directed against communities does great harm now and into the future, whereas community development and detached youth work go a long way to identifying underlying issues and providing potential immediate and longer-term solutions.”
‘No one is listening’

On Thursday, Micallef and Bol held a joint press conference to call for calm, which they say has already had made a considerable difference.

The idea, which they discussed jointly, was to speak about issues in a way that deliberately excluded politicians and police: to put a focus on the real needs of the community in a way that couldn’t be co-opted.

Micallef says her father, who is blind, was visited by Miles this week. She says the premier offered his condolences, but what the family really wanted was solutions. Miles is “a seat warmer”, she says.

Bol’s frustrations are longstanding. He spent more than a decade working with young people for the charity Youth Off the Streets and says many community services and government programs were not designed or run to meet the needs of community members. Many people “did not trust” those services and risked becoming isolated from support.

“When I was talking about these issues 10 years ago, young people who are now repeat offenders were clean. For many years I’ve been submitting proposal after proposal, model after model. I get so, so frustrated and disappointed that we as a community have taken responsibility … and no one is listening.

“Then when an incident like this happens, then we’re on the front page.”
Weird how they call them "youths," too. And here are those youths:

Old 02-19-2024, 12:23am   #6
Anjdog2003
Due to inflation they are no longer free
Activity: 73.7%

Thanked 25,817 Times in 10,057 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $324490

Decaf
/thread
Anjdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anjdog2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 7:37am   #7
IB4TL
A Real Barner
Activity: 9.0%

Thanked 2,370 Times in 989 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1064

He's right about the rapefugees but he went about it the wrong way.
IB4TL is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IB4TL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 7:49am   #8
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117
Activity: 80.2%

Thanked 10,803 Times in 3,967 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Here's the thing about bringing Sudanese refugees into a developed Western world and expecting them to assimilate. The average IQ in Sudan is 77. https://www.worlddata.info/iq-by-country.php

That's fairly low. And multiple studies have linked low IQs with violent tendencies and lack of self-control. These people don't magically get more intelligent just because you've moved them. So what they've basically done is import a bunch of low IQ, rabid hyenas and told them to behave and not kill the more intelligent and peaceful native wildlife. It's not going to happen. It would be like me trapping some feral coyotes and putting them in with my wife's chickens and expecting them to not eat them.

This business of encouraging mass migration is the WEF's plan to bring the other nations crashing down so that they can be rebuilt in Klaus Schwab's vision. And it won't be pretty for anyone but the elites.
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tikiman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 9:11am   #9
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 39.2%

Thanked 11,027 Times in 5,152 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB4TL View Post
If he ever talked to my wife,mother,grandmother or daughter like that he would have wound up in the hospital or morgue...I can't believe those men were there watching and did nothing to stop or calm him down.
04 commemorative is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 9:22am   #10
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 63.7%

Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,614 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 commemorative View Post
If he ever talked to my wife,mother,grandmother or daughter like that he would have wound up in the hospital or morgue...I can't believe those men were there watching and did nothing to stop or calm him down.
Yeah, there is a difference between presenting an opposing opinion and cursing elderly women (as misguided as they might be). But I totally get the whole migrant/refugee thing and the left's support of the invasion in the US. Bragg so worried about Trump he released 5 foreigners that pummeled police to the pavement, they were then released and when optics got bad enough over that Bragg had to go and got them back.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 9:59am   #11
MikeB
Barn Stall Owner #115
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 4,977 Times in 2,249 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $610854

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB4TL View Post
I agree. Turned it off after a minute.
Whether they needed it or not, that dude was harsh (potty mouth) to those
old ladies.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 2:19pm   #12
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Meanwhile, in Japan, crowds of angry White supremacists march against having Muslim immigrants in Japan.

Interesting that they brought out the ultra nationalist Japanese Naval flag.
Old 02-19-2024, 3:04pm   #13
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 5.8%

Thanked 8,408 Times in 4,256 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
Meanwhile, in Japan, crowds of angry White supremacists march against having Muslim immigrants in Japan.

https://twitter.com/Infantry_bucky/s...547784865?s=20

Interesting that they brought out the ultra nationalist Japanese Naval flag.
Need to send that group over to San Francisco.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic