Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2015, 9:45pm   #1
CORVETTE
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2904
Default What's the best home generator solution?

I've heard the Generac generators are not all that great, long term and need a LOT of maintenance. I have no experience with whole home generators, and am considering adding one (natural gas model) and want to be sure I get it right.

TIA
CORVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 9:51pm   #2
Chuck A
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 3,051 Times in 2,236 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2601174

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORVETTE View Post
I've heard the Generac generators are not all that great, long term and need a LOT of maintenance. I have no experience with whole home generators, and am considering adding one (natural gas model) and want to be sure I get it right.

TIA
i have heard they are good to have but most of the time they are hardly used, especially since having a licensed electrician wire them up could cost a fortune
Chuck A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 9:54pm   #3
markids77
A Real Barner
Activity: 11.5%

Thanked 3,850 Times in 2,217 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1000483

Kohler. However, any genset will require at least annual maintenance, perhaps more depending on size and fuel choice. They are definitely not a "set and forget" proposition.
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:42pm   #4
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 18.0%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,186 Times in 4,360 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Just installed a Generac 22kW natural gas generator. The generator install itself isn't terribly expensive, but the dedicated wiring is pricey if you go that way. Luckily mine was on new construction so it was not a big deal.

Maintenance is part of the deal on any emergency device, and generators are no different. If you live on a well, you're SOL without power. I would never be without some type of generator when I'm on a well.

If you want to skip the cost of a whole house generator, just get a transfer switch installed so that you can plug in a portable and control the feeds from your existing panel. Not the ease of a whole house solution, but much cheaper.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2015, 9:19am   #5
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 32.4%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,367 Times in 1,840 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Just installed a Generac 22kW natural gas generator. The generator install itself isn't terribly expensive, but the dedicated wiring is pricey if you go that way. Luckily mine was on new construction so it was not a big deal.

Maintenance is part of the deal on any emergency device, and generators are no different. If you live on a well, you're SOL without power. I would never be without some type of generator when I'm on a well.

If you want to skip the cost of a whole house generator, just get a transfer switch installed so that you can plug in a portable and control the feeds from your existing panel. Not the ease of a whole house solution, but much cheaper.
That what we did 11 years ago when we moved way out here in the boonies, Had a 5,000 Generac and when needed take her out plug her in and got by very nicely. Generator was handy when I need to do some boat work, just threw it in truck and went to the beach or when my kids power went out let him use it for a day.

Getting older and we decided to go with a "whole house unit"(propane powered , we also heat with propane, but do have a pellet stove in the living room) We bought a Gererac and the service contract and while a bit pricey seems like the best option, shit we "aint" getting any younger. Power out can happen anytime out here but much more prevalent when it goes sub zero or we get a huge snow storm or worse yet ice storm.

FWIW I still have my little portable 5,000 and if for some reason the big one is not working I still have a chance of power.
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 2:25pm   #6
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 29.1%

Thanked 33,849 Times in 12,334 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Natural gas, propane, gasoline, diesel.

Many go the nat. gas route. But, if your area is prone to large scale "events" (say... earthquakes) then nat. gas may not be the best choice. The authorities can turn off entire natural gas trunk lines during these situations. This is about the only negative with natural gas.

Gasoline/diesel seem like a good solution; though if the power outage is in a large area, gasoline stations may not be dispencing either. And there's long term storage/spoilage issues.

Propane is often recommend; has no "shelf life" issues.
A friend of mine has a Generac with dual Propage/natural gas capability. From everything I've read... this seems to be the premier setup.
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2015, 11:16am   #7
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 88.8%

Thanked 41,265 Times in 17,159 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

My neighbor, who just died, had a gas fired Generac 17kW unit installed after Hurricane Ike rolled through and we were without power for 15 days. It was designed to run once a week for maybe 10 minutes, just to keep everything in operating shape, but after the first few months, I don't think it operated automatically. It did chew up batteries, and my neighbor finally just stopped buying them. Of course, since Ike, we haven't really had any outages.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:33am   #8
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 29.1%

Thanked 33,849 Times in 12,334 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

I have a Generac 12kw (16kw peak) unit on propane.
https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/o...got-lucky.html

Like most installations, it's next to one wall of the house near the utility room. I ran battery cables from the generator to the inside the house, and have the battery located there instead. I can check the battery condition - in my pajamas - if desired.

On a gas-fueled generator, the battery is one of the most critical maintenenace item, right after oil & filters.
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:59am   #9
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 32.4%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,367 Times in 1,840 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
My neighbor, who just died, had a gas fired Generac 17kW unit installed after Hurricane Ike rolled through and we were without power for 15 days. It was designed to run once a week for maybe 10 minutes, just to keep everything in operating shape, but after the first few months, I don't think it operated automatically. It did chew up batteries, and my neighbor finally just stopped buying them. Of course, since Ike, we haven't really had any outages.
The Generac unit I have the battery is on a internal tender and is supposed to keep it up just like we do with our Vetts for winter storage.

Mine lights off at 2 pm every Wednesday for 15 minuets. I assume that time is enough to bring it up to normal running tempt to prevent condensation problems. Mine also has a warming kit for the battery and oil systems as it can go to - 30 on a bad night
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 9:26pm   #10
Frizzle
Barn Stall Owner #51
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8592

For home use generac units running off of natural gas is just fine. Heck I've wired up a generac for a target store that ran off of NG, the engine was a ford v10.

Now, for anything in large scale and for reliability (data centers, hospitals eat...) they run off of diesel. The manufactures are Cats... And I've seen Cummings at one jobsite.
Frizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:14pm   #11
Dave
Barn Raising I,II,III
Activity: 10.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $509371

Convince a neighbor on the same power leg as you to buy one. The power will never go out again.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic