Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Share Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2015, 8:56pm   #21
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Points: 58,560, Level: 100
Activity: 48.4%
 
MrPeabody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 32,728
Thanks: 13,363
Thanked 10,871 Times in 5,433 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2211306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
There were protests? And, like its the 1st time the PC police has gone after Walmart.

So, when government officials call for the removal of black American, or gay American, or Hispanic American, merchandise from the shelves...or any other product representing a particular culture, group, or fad...

Supporters of this move will support that..."for the good of the shareholders".
Have you eaten at a Sambo's lately? Yeah, they're long gone. Merchandise offensive to certain groups has vanished from stores before, or had the packaging changed, or the name changed. Right or wrong, nothing new about this.
MrPeabody is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 8:57pm   #22
sanchez
Guest
Points: 9,039, Level: 65
Activity: 99.0%
 
sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: America's Herpe (Miami, FL)
Posts: 10,992
Thanks: 8,669
Thanked 1,474 Times in 666 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3810387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
There were protests? And, like its the 1st time the PC police has gone after Walmart.

So, when government officials call for the removal of black American, or gay American, or Hispanic American, merchandise from the shelves...or any other product representing a particular culture, group, or fad...

Supporters of this move will support that..."for the good of the shareholders".
Start your own low cost retailer and beat them at their game.

Why would they be catering to the PC police? What possible reaso beside driving or securing future profits could they have?
sanchez is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:01pm   #23
LATB
Banned
Points: 70,790, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,723
Thanks: 2,592
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,538 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
Have you eaten at a Sambo's lately? Yeah, they're long gone. Merchandise offensive to certain groups has vanished from stores before, or had the packaging changed, or the name changed. Right or wrong, nothing new about this.
Market driven. Not government.
LATB is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:02pm   #24
sanchez
Guest
Points: 9,039, Level: 65
Activity: 99.0%
 
sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: America's Herpe (Miami, FL)
Posts: 10,992
Thanks: 8,669
Thanked 1,474 Times in 666 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3810387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Market driven. Not government.
Are you implying the walmart move was driven by the .gov?
sanchez is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:03pm   #25
LATB
Banned
Points: 70,790, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,723
Thanks: 2,592
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,538 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
Start your own low cost retailer and beat them at their game.

Why would they be catering to the PC police? What possible reaso beside driving or securing future profits could they have?
It's total PC.

Walmart has quit selling guns and ammo at many locations. In the south. Where the market for the product is strong. How does that help the bottom line? It doesn't. It's PC.
LATB is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:03pm   #26
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Points: 58,560, Level: 100
Activity: 48.4%
 
MrPeabody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 32,728
Thanks: 13,363
Thanked 10,871 Times in 5,433 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2211306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Market driven. Not government.
Is the government making Walmart remove merchandise from their stores? No, their knowledge of the market is. Like all business decisions, they could be wrong, but they've been pretty smart about knowing their market so far.
MrPeabody is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:04pm   #27
sanchez
Guest
Points: 9,039, Level: 65
Activity: 99.0%
 
sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: America's Herpe (Miami, FL)
Posts: 10,992
Thanks: 8,669
Thanked 1,474 Times in 666 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3810387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
It's total PC.

Walmart has quit selling guns and ammo at many locations. In the south. Where the market for the product is strong. How does that help the bottom line? It doesn't. It's PC.
What does "PC" get them?
sanchez is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:05pm   #28
LATB
Banned
Points: 70,790, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,723
Thanks: 2,592
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,538 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
Are you implying the walmart move was driven by the .gov?
Not directly. Yet.

The announcement is the latest indication that the flag, a symbol of the slave-holding South, has become toxic in the aftermath of a shooting last week at a historic African-American church in Charleston, South Carolina. Gov. Nikki Haley announced in a Monday afternoon news conference that she supports removing the Confederate flag from the state capitol grounds.
LATB is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:06pm   #29
LATB
Banned
Points: 70,790, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,723
Thanks: 2,592
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,538 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
Is the government making Walmart remove merchandise from their stores? No, their knowledge of the market is. Like all business decisions, they could be wrong, but they've been pretty smart about knowing their market so far.
Funny how that knowledge changed overnight.
LATB is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:07pm   #30
LATB
Banned
Points: 70,790, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,723
Thanks: 2,592
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,538 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
What does "PC" get them?
Favorable press. And keeps Sharpton off their back.
LATB is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:07pm   #31
sanchez
Guest
Points: 9,039, Level: 65
Activity: 99.0%
 
sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: America's Herpe (Miami, FL)
Posts: 10,992
Thanks: 8,669
Thanked 1,474 Times in 666 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3810387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
It's total PC.

Walmart has quit selling guns and ammo at many locations. In the south. Where the market for the product is strong. How does that help the bottom line? It doesn't. It's PC.
What was Walmart's margin on firearm sales? What was demand overall at the time the decision was made?
sanchez is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:08pm   #32
sanchez
Guest
Points: 9,039, Level: 65
Activity: 99.0%
 
sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: America's Herpe (Miami, FL)
Posts: 10,992
Thanks: 8,669
Thanked 1,474 Times in 666 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3810387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Favorable press. And keeps Sharpton off their back.
For what? Why would that matter?
sanchez is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:11pm   #33
LATB
Banned
Points: 70,790, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,723
Thanks: 2,592
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,538 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

For the record:
I don't own any confederate merchandise. No CSA merchandise or even memorabilia. Not even a historical piece.
LATB is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:12pm   #34
sanchez
Guest
Points: 9,039, Level: 65
Activity: 99.0%
 
sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: America's Herpe (Miami, FL)
Posts: 10,992
Thanks: 8,669
Thanked 1,474 Times in 666 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3810387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Not directly. Yet.

The announcement is the latest indication that the flag, a symbol of the slave-holding South, has become toxic in the aftermath of a shooting last week at a historic African-American church in Charleston, South Carolina. Gov. Nikki Haley announced in a Monday afternoon news conference that she supports removing the Confederate flag from the state capitol grounds.
Be mad at shitty parents and goofy white kids with bowl cuts.
sanchez is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sanchez For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2015, 9:16pm   #35
LATB
Banned
Points: 70,790, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,723
Thanks: 2,592
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,538 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
Be mad at shitty parents and goofy white kids with bowl cuts.
That. And liberalism that all but shut down the institutionalizing the criminally insane.
LATB is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:16pm   #36
DukeAllen
A Real Barner
Points: 42,433, Level: 100
Activity: 99.8%
 
DukeAllen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 37,145
Thanks: 20,029
Thanked 9,183 Times in 4,943 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10001598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
Granted, I don't have the attachment to the 'stars and bars' that a lot of folks do. I'm from the north, the part of the country that invades and permanently occupies other parts.
Fify

As for pulling flags from the stores, is that going to discourage the skinheads one iota? More like it will confirm their beliefs against the government and the press.

Last edited by DukeAllen; 06-23-2015 at 12:41am.
DukeAllen is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:16pm   #37
sanchez
Guest
Points: 9,039, Level: 65
Activity: 99.0%
 
sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: America's Herpe (Miami, FL)
Posts: 10,992
Thanks: 8,669
Thanked 1,474 Times in 666 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3810387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
That. And liberalism that all but shut down the institutionalizing the criminally insane.
Or whoever made bowl cuts fashionable.
sanchez is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:19pm   #38
LATB
Banned
Points: 70,790, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
LATB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,723
Thanks: 2,592
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,538 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
Or whoever made bowl cuts fashionable.
I blame the Liverpool Lads.
LATB is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 9:19pm   #39
sanchez
Guest
Points: 9,039, Level: 65
Activity: 99.0%
 
sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: America's Herpe (Miami, FL)
Posts: 10,992
Thanks: 8,669
Thanked 1,474 Times in 666 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3810387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeAllen View Post
Fifty

As for pulling flags from the stores, is that going to discourage the skinheads one iota? More like it will confirm their beliefs against the government and the press.
Walmart doesn't give a shit about skinheads, black supremacists, isis, the Cherokee nation, or saving the planet.

They care about profits.

They may say some silly shit about 'caring' hit they don't. At all.

Whatever they do is profit motivated. Pure and simple. They are ruthless, giant, and have no trouble bankrupting suppliers.

The are amoral and completely supported by the vast majority of the American public.
sanchez is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to sanchez For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2015, 9:20pm   #40
...Whitepower...
Barn Raising III
Points: 51,252, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
...Whitepower...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 11,335
Thanks: 951
Thanked 5,211 Times in 2,305 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10070941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Not directly. Yet.

The announcement is the latest indication that the flag, a symbol of the slave-holding South, has become toxic in the aftermath of a shooting last week at a historic African-American church in Charleston, South Carolina. Gov. Nikki Haley announced in a Monday afternoon news conference that she supports removing the Confederate flag from the state capitol grounds.
The Supreme Court ruled that Texas can pass on the confederate flag on tags last week prior to this incident. And that had been in play for some time. It's long since been a source of contention for many.

Supreme Court says states can block Confederate flag license plates
...Whitepower... is offline  
Closed Thread

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:19am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2019 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page