Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Yesterday, 5:58am   #1
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 57.9%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default So, my application at work is going away

I'm a software engineer and I've been working hard with the migration team to get my application migrated to a new platform. We are expecting that all of it will be fully migrated to the new platform by the end of the year. Good thing is that I have 20 years of service and in case they lay me off, I walk away with a significant severance package. However, it's not guaranteed that they will actually lay me off as we have other applications that will only be decommissioned in about 2 - 4... maybe 5 years or so. However, I'm not knowledgeable with the other applications, so, I will have to learn them. I personally would like to stay 2 more years or so if I can. However, if they would lay me off, I would get my severance and could cash out my 401k which would be enough to pay off all my remaining debt and be debt free. Only down side would be that I would have to pay a 10% penalty if I'm cash out the 401k If I'm laid off before I'm 55. (I'm 53 now) If I would get laid off and I'm already 55, I would NOT have to pay the 10% tax penalty. Right now, half of the team is close to 65 years old and will retire soon, so they may keep me due to my young age (compared to my co-workers). We will see. Either way works fine for me. My target age to stop working is 56 to 57, so, 3 to 4 years from now.
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrandSportC3 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 6:00am   #2
DDSLT5
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 54.0%

Cliffs?
DDSLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 6:23am   #3
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 65.1%

Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,628 Posts

In my time (degreed Computer Scientist) I knew prob 8-10 programming languages and also had a hardware background. Being an "expert" on specific applications is not a career-extending scheme. I can't tell you how many I've migrated, "browned-out", replaced with COTS or eliminated or did complete re-writes in a modern language/architecture (mostly during Y2K). I was a boss and had to let go a few folks that didn't keep their skills up - had a few that only wanted to keep programming in Clipper and dBase-III (ugh!)

Making yourself "layoff-proof" in a technology profession just comes with the turf.

If there is any way you can find another gig, DO IT NOW, before the applications are migrated as the smart people bail and find other work early, as soon as the writing is on the wall. Alternatively, use your 2 year window at THIS gig to get current, marketable skills via certifications, courses, etc..

A word to the wise, middle aged programmers/s-w engineers are not "hot commodities"; when some kid fresh out of school with the latest knowledge will work for 1/2 to 1/3 of your probable salary.

I would do that and not "cash in" my 401K at your young age. You have a long road ahead of you until retirement age. You'll miss tax-deferred growth over the next 5 years or whatever. I'm 73 and still haven't touched my 401K, but I'll have to by next April by law or pay a massive penalty...

HOWEVER, I am not a career or financial advisor, do not play one on TV and did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express !
Frankie the Fink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 6:51am   #4
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,597 Times in 2,698 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
I'm a software engineer technician and I've been working hard with the migration team to get my application migrated to a new platform. We are expecting that all of it will be fully migrated to the new platform by the end of the year. Good thing is that I have 20 years of service and in case they lay me off, I walk away with a significant severance package. However, it's not guaranteed that they will actually lay me off as we have other applications that will only be decommissioned in about 2 - 4... maybe 5 years or so. However, I'm not knowledgeable with the other applications, so, I will have to learn them. I personally would like to stay 2 more years or so if I can. However, if they would lay me off, I would get my severance and could cash out my 401k which would be enough to pay off all my remaining debt and be debt free. Only down side would be that I would have to pay a 10% penalty if I'm cash out the 401k If I'm laid off before I'm 55. (I'm 53 now) If I would get laid off and I'm already 55, I would NOT have to pay the 10% tax penalty. Right now, half of the team is close to 65 years old and will retire soon, so they may keep me due to my young age (compared to my co-workers). We will see. Either way works fine for me. My target age to stop working is 56 to 57, so, 3 to 4 years from now.
FIFY

Because:

Yadkin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 7:19am   #5
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
In my time (degreed Computer Scientist) I knew prob 8-10 programming languages and also had a hardware background. Being an "expert" on specific applications is not a career-extending scheme. I can't tell you how many I've migrated, "browned-out", replaced with COTS or eliminated or did complete re-writes in a modern language/architecture (mostly during Y2K). I was a boss and had to let go a few folks that didn't keep their skills up - had a few that only wanted to keep programming in Clipper and dBase-III (ugh!)

Making yourself "layoff-proof" in a technology profession just comes with the turf.

If there is any way you can find another gig, DO IT NOW, before the applications are migrated as the smart people bail and find other work early, as soon as the writing is on the wall. Alternatively, use your 2 year window at THIS gig to get current, marketable skills via certifications, courses, etc..

A word to the wise, middle aged programmers/s-w engineers are not "hot commodities"; when some kid fresh out of school with the latest knowledge will work for 1/2 to 1/3 of your probable salary.

I would do that and not "cash in" my 401K at your young age. You have a long road ahead of you until retirement age. You'll miss tax-deferred growth over the next 5 years or whatever. I'm 73 and still haven't touched my 401K, but I'll have to by next April by law or pay a massive penalty...

HOWEVER, I am not a career or financial advisor, do not play one on TV and did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express !
If I leave, I walk away from $200k as I won't get my severance. I only want to work like 3 more years. I want to get laid off but would prefer 3 years from now.
Old Yesterday, 7:29am   #6
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
FIFY

Because:

Job title has changed many times.. Sr. Programmer/Analyst, Application Developer and now Software Engineer. Job titles are meaningless.
Old Yesterday, 7:47am   #7
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
Job title has changed many times.. Sr. Programmer/Analyst, Application Developer and now Software Engineer. Job titles are meaningless.
The title of "Engineer" is not meaningless, according to Florida statute:

Quote:
(1) No person other than a duly licensed engineer shall practice engineering or use the name or title of “licensed engineer,” “professional engineer,” or any other title, designation, words, letters, abbreviations, or device tending to indicate that such person holds an active license as an engineer in this state.
Old Yesterday, 7:50am   #8
vettemed
A Real Barner
Activity: 38.5%

Quote:
Are you feeling ok? You managed to spell out Florida correctly today.
vettemed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vettemed For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 7:50am   #9
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 65.1%

Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,628 Posts

Quote:
If I leave, I walk away from $200k as I won't get my severance. I only want to work like 3 more years. I want to get laid off but would prefer 3 years from now.
Well damn - maybe you should have led with that
Frankie the Fink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 8:01am   #10
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
What I mean is that I do not care what my job title is. What matters is how much they pay me.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrandSportC3 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 8:02am   #11
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Well damn - maybe you should have led with that
I did mention the severance, just not how much it is.. After tax, it won't be close to $200k.. That's BEFORE tax...
Old Yesterday, 9:01am   #12
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
What I mean is that I do not care what my job title is. What matters is how much they pay me.
The state of Florida cares.
Old Yesterday, 9:03am   #13
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,540 Times in 10,661 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

At 50-something you will probably want to keep working. Maybe not as an employee but you are a doer and not having a project will drive you crazy. Might as well make those projects profitable.

Take that severance money and buy a couple more flip houses. Don’t spend your cash paying off mortgages at this point. Use the cash to grow your savings.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:04am   #14
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 39.6%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,415 Times in 1,871 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
The state of Florida cares.
Yaddy how do you feel about the terms Operating Engineers, Stationary Engineers!
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:08am   #15
Kevin68
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 16.9%

You still have to pay federal income tax on the 401K cash out plus the 10% penalty, if applicable. If you've been contributing for 20 years and investing wisely, your 401K is probably large enough that some will be taxed at 32 or 37%.
Kevin68 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin68 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 9:10am   #16
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
Yaddy how do you feel about the terms Operating Engineers, Stationary Engineers!
Depends on the state.
Old Yesterday, 9:13am   #17
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 39.6%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,415 Times in 1,871 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Depends on the state.
Yeah, that was about as open as a question could be made!-
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:13am   #18
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 74.5%

Thanked 33,504 Times in 11,772 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:

(1) No person other than a duly licensed engineer shall practice engineering or use the name or title of “licensed engineer,” “professional engineer,” or any other title, designation, words, letters, abbreviations, or device tending to indicate that such person holds an active license as an engineer in this state.
His title, like many others with the word Engineer in them, doesn't "indicate that such person holds an active license as an engineer in this state."

Why do licensed engineers/PEs think they're the only ones who can use that word for what they do? If someone has an engineering degree but isn't licensed, can they use it or does that offend you as well? When you retire and let your license lapse, do you have to quit using the word because you no longer have an active engineering license?

Engineers have lots of butthurt about job titles, does that come with the education or the license?
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:17am   #19
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 1,719 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote:
Depends on the state.

Of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
Yeah, that was about as open as a question could be made!-
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:26am   #20
Unsuspicious
A Real Barner
Activity: 6.5%

Thanked 1,851 Times in 999 Posts

If you get laid off now and need the 401k money, you could probably just take a 401k loan to float for 2 years instead of paying the tax machine
Unsuspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic