Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2024, 4:23pm   #21
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 41,859 Times in 17,419 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
Wow....sorry some of you guys are having so much grief at the VA. Mine must be the exception to the rule then. The Biloxi VA is the best medical Ive ever had, and I always had great medical coverage before using the VA.

Ive been with the VA for about 10 years now. Ive had the same Dr's and same team since I started. The VA just did my open heart surgery/bypass. They even accommodated me when I asked to transfer to Nashville for the surgery to be near family. The Dr that did the surgery also does heart transplants so Id say he was pretty well qualified.

Im at 70% but going next month for a review due to my surgery. Hoping to get up to 100%.
My barber, now deceased, went to that VA for prostate cancer. He say he and his wife were treated VERY respectfully by everyone, even provided accommodations for his wife each time he was there. Seed radiation is what they did, and apparently the Houston VA didn't have that specialty.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 5:56pm   #22
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118
Activity: 67.3%

Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,220 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
It's not just the Northern FL VA facilities, it's the entire VA healthcare system. I'm eligible for VA healthcare, but I'd go to a back alley unlicensed "Doctor" before I set foot in a VA medical facility again. NFW I'll ever use the VA healthcare system again.

Not really, Been using the Regional facility here in Albuquerque for 30 years now. Sure, I have had my share of issues over the years but less than 5% of the time overall. Usually administrative and I got it fixed.

I have been in every clinic along with 12 surgeries. Both hips replaced, Knees, both kidneys, my nuts, both eyes, Stomach & Elbow. I'm a regular in Audiology, Eyes, Ortho and Rheumatology.

Most of the problems I had either seen of read about end up being the Vet causing it. If anyone is waiting for the VA to make something happen, good luck. You need to make it happen.

Procedure wise, I could not ask for anyone better. Administrative always needs work
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 6:43pm   #23
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 56.8%

Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,675 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

My Dad (former Marine) broke his neck in a car crash in 1973 and was all but dead, the VA had a pre-eminent spinal cord surgeon operate on him in the VA center in Hampton, VA and, although a quadriplegic he lived another 30 years and regained enough mobility to live on his own....the first 4 years of his recovery were spent in that same VA hospital.

I'll always have a warm spot in my heart for the way he was treated....as our dirt poor family couldn't have done nearly so much for him.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 7:07pm   #24
lrobe22
A Real Barner
Activity: 7.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw38 View Post
How the hell do you serve in the reserves for 8 years and not have 180 days of active duty? How many drill weekends and two-week summer camps did you miss?

I think it’s a Title 10 vs. Title 32 issue. As I remember, even though a Reserve guy and NG guy went to the same course or annual training, the Reserve guy is under federal orders while the NG is state. Those NG points don’t count towards any federal quals.
lrobe22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 8:51pm   #25
lrobe22
A Real Barner
Activity: 7.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
This Northeast FL/Southeast GA VA program is absolutely crap. It's crap, I tell ya.

Since I've been here in 2012, I haven't seen the same doctor more than twice except for the Chinese guy who lied on my medical records (blatant lies that I was able to prove and get assigned to another doc closer to home).

I go to refill my meds, but my doctor needs to approve them. No biggie. But wait, my doc transferred to St. Augustine and again I haven't been assigned to another team. This is the 4th or 5th time I have been lost in the system since I have been here. Letters to Senators and Reps don't do shit, either. It's the same old-same old.

the only thing that has been hassle free here has been Vision and Dental because they are backed up for 6 months or more which gives me the option to use community Care and see non-VA doctors.

It's frustrating as hell.

/rant
/bitching&complaining (for now)
The VA is one of the reasons I saw no benefit to continue after the 10 year mark and go for 20.
lrobe22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 8:56pm   #26
LisaJohn
Barn Stall Owner #1000
1000th member
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 22.3%

Thanked 4,877 Times in 2,681 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2425793

I’m sorry you are having to deal with this. It’s just plain wrong.
LisaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LisaJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 12:57pm   #27
sublime1996525
A Real Barner
Activity: 14.7%

Thanked 6,689 Times in 3,000 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1008643

Definitely sounds like a shitty experience. Have you reached out to the VA congressional liaison? They can help, if they are competent. The Salt Lake VA has been pretty good. It helps that most of our providers also work at the U of U hospital.
sublime1996525 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:30pm   #28
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 56.8%

Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,675 Posts

I have an acquaintance that drives a '61 Corvette and works full time for Harris Corporation in Florida and is 100% disabled per the VA.

Sorry but I have a different definition of 100% disabled.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 1:34am   #29
Anjdog2003
Due to inflation they are no longer free
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 26,101 Times in 10,216 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $324490

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
Wow....sorry some of you guys are having so much grief at the VA. Mine must be the exception to the rule then. The Biloxi VA is the best medical Ive ever had, and I always had great medical coverage before using the VA.

Ive been with the VA for about 10 years now. Ive had the same Dr's and same team since I started. The VA just did my open heart surgery/bypass. They even accommodated me when I asked to transfer to Nashville for the surgery to be near family. The Dr that did the surgery also does heart transplants so Id say he was pretty well qualified.

Im at 70% but going next month for a review due to my surgery. Hoping to get up to 100%.

The Long Beach V.A is better than some of the top California Hospitals. I've had surgery there, Dental, etc. I've had no problems with them.They've treated me well over the past. 50+ years.
Anjdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 6:27am   #30
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Thanked 4,476 Times in 2,085 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2001216

First dying at the VA, is not dying for your country.

Forgive my ignorance but I am very surprised to read this DJ.

From all I have read, the VA has GREATLY improved since the days of my families needs. I myself was unable to serve but my family has been a strong military one. Mostly US Navy. The horror stories I can remember being told from the 60's and 70's about the conditions treatment received were unforgettable. My Uncles straight out refused to go to the VA hospitals.

I thought it has all changed, I'd read the doctors were now well paid and HAPPILY employed. I read the conditions and supplies were all revampt and equal to public facilities.

Yeah this sucks hearing your woe....

Bottom right lower Grandfather
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1980.jpg  

Don Rickles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Rickles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 8:25am   #31
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 28,278 Times in 11,961 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rickles View Post
First dying at the VA, is not dying for your country.

Forgive my ignorance but I am very surprised to read this DJ.

From all I have read, the VA has GREATLY improved since the days of my families needs. I myself was unable to serve but my family has been a strong military one. Mostly US Navy. The horror stories I can remember being told from the 60's and 70's about the conditions treatment received were unforgettable. My Uncles straight out refused to go to the VA hospitals.

I thought it has all changed, I'd read the doctors were now well paid and HAPPILY employed. I read the conditions and supplies were all revampt and equal to public facilities.

Yeah this sucks hearing your woe....

Bottom right lower Grandfather
Here's something to think about concerning my rant/bitching/complaining:

If I'm getting shitty medical care like this, how many other people in this area are in the same boat with the same shitty treatment and might be worse off than I am? Think about the elderly vets who rely solely on the VA for care because they really can't afford anything else. I wonder how much worse some of the treatment or care actually is within this particular district.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 9:22am   #32
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:

If I'm getting shitty medical care like this, how many other people in this area are in the same boat with the same shitty treatment and might be worse off than I am? Think about the elderly vets who rely solely on the VA for care because they really can't afford anything else. I wonder how much worse some of the treatment or care actually is within this particular district.
I really can’t answer any of that. Complaining on a Corvette forum, I don’t think will bring any resolution to you. I was simply stating things that I have read in the recent past, even from one member here explaining how great the care was given to them.

In respect for those that have served, I will refrain from being sarcastic in this particular thread!

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2024, 9:24am   #33
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
I really can’t answer any of that. Complaining on a Corvette form I don’t think we’ll bring any resolution to you. I was simply stating things that I have read in the recent past, even from one member here explaining how great the care was given to them.

In respect for those that have served, I will refrain from being sarcastic in this particular thread!

Good luck!
Sarcasm is always welcome in the threads I start, so no issue there

Why not bring it up here? Maybe somebody here has had an experience similar to mine (or knows a friend of a friend like that) and may have a good way to resolve it. Lord knows contacting Senators and Reps didn't do anything to help....
Old 05-02-2024, 9:27am   #34
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:

Why not bring it up here? Maybe somebody here has had an experience similar to mine (or knows a friend of a friend like that) and may have a good way to resolve it. Lord knows contacting Senators and Reps didn't do anything to help....
I agree perhaps someone else could help share. You’re a pretty squeaky wheel so I’m sure you get or will get attention.
Old 05-02-2024, 9:47am   #35
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118
Activity: 67.3%

Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,220 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002672

Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here but do you use Secure Messaging in the My HealthVet Website?

Its set up usually to the clinics you use, not the actual Dr and they will contact them for whatever you need. You may need to contact the facility person who takes care of the site to help get set up if the clinics are not on the list.

I use it weekly for one thing or another. Set upp appts, med refills and other bs. Saves a whole lot of aggravation

https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-port...rtal-web/home#
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 9:48am   #36
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 93.2%

Thanked 33,812 Times in 11,893 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
As I said earlier my experience at a couple of different VA hospitals has been as bad, or perhaps worse than, yours. I will never, EVER, make any attempt to get medical care of any kind at a VA hospital. I have no clue how to resolve those issues or get anyone in the fed gov at a high enough level to care. YMMV.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 9:49am   #37
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
I agree perhaps someone else could help share. You’re a pretty squeaky wheel so I’m sure you get or will get attention.
And shady as hell
Old 05-02-2024, 9:52am   #38
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewfoot View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here but do you use Secure Messaging in the My HealthVet Website?

Its set up usually to the clinics you use, not the actual Dr and they will contact them for whatever you need. You may need to contact the facility person who takes care of the site to help get set up if the clinics are not on the list.

I use it weekly for one thing or another. Set upp appts, med refills and other bs

https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-port...rtal-web/home#
I do use it, but they take forever to answer anything. My last question took two weeks to figure out who my interim doc is going to be and that I only get online appointments. And now they are asking for any records from outside doctors again. WTF? You should already have this stuff on file. I can see it in my Blue Button report. Competence at its best! Yay....
Old 05-02-2024, 1:15pm   #39
Anjdog2003
Due to inflation they are no longer free

Thanked 26,101 Times in 10,216 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $324490

Quote:

I'am sorry you're getting shitty care at your V.A. I'am gettin excellent care at mine.
Anjdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjdog2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 1:35pm   #40
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 View Post
You should have seen the horrible medical care I witnessed after the battle of 1812.
Wow!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Rickles For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic