Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2023, 4:03pm   #1
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.4%

Thanked 41,069 Times in 17,075 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492
Default Proactive Policing: Texas City Police Arrest Man for Future Crime in Parking Lot

Cliffs: Guy drives across empty, but striped parking at a Texas City Buc-ee's gas station. As he is pumping gas, officer pulls up, stops and eventually arrests man for violating a traffic signal (the parking stripes) on private property. In Texas, you can't write a ticket on private property, with the exception of parking in a handicapped spot with no tag, or using the parking lot to cut through an intersection, neither of which the driver did.

Cop expresses concern guy will continue to drive through the parking lot over the striped parking places in the future, guy asks officer if he's Jean Paul Van Dame Future Cop (movie reference) Cop then arrests guy.

Edit: complete body cam video, no narration

bill_daniels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 4:21pm   #2
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 32,997 Times in 14,148 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

end of the month, ticket quota not met, better invent one quick.
DAB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 4:24pm   #3
Louie Detroit
Barn Stall Owner #0331
Activity: 31.3%

Thanked 7,708 Times in 3,128 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

35 minutes of nothing burger.
Louie Detroit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 4:53pm   #4
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie Detroit View Post
35 minutes of nothing burger.
Try this short two minute video from our local NBC station:

Upon review, the video I posted has awful narration. I'll try and find just the body cam with no narration.

Edit: changed video in OP to the body cam of entire incident, no narration.

Edit II: This station has a few pumps with no ethanol gas that I have been planning to use. A little nervous to go there now.
Old 06-01-2023, 4:36pm   #5
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Waveland, Mississippi. Used to always stop there to eat at Ray's Seafood, before Katrina destroyed it. Might not stop there going forward after seeing this. Starts out just like a Rambo movie.

Arrested (threatened) for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bill_daniels For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 7:31pm   #6
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 7.9%

Thanked 11,493 Times in 5,018 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547

[QUOTE=bill_daniels
Waveland, Mississippi. Used to always stop there to eat at Ray's Seafood, before Katrina destroyed it. Might not stop there going forward after seeing this. Starts out just like a Rambo movie.
[/QUOTE]

He was 100 percent not required to show id, as he was not operating a vehicle. He was also engaged in legal activity protected under the constitution. There is a reason that I loathe cops and it is crap like this. I have had experience with dirty cops, so therefore, I have no use for them. I realize they are not all this way, but 98% of them are and 2% isn't enough to change my opinion. They are petty tryants, enforcing rules (or not rules) made by tyrants. In the end, they will always be on the wrong side of history.
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 2:16pm   #7
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 1,802 Times in 699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2usMc0oCPqs

Arrested (threatened) for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.
I know no one really wants to be arrested, but I would have let them arrest me and then I would have sued the shit out of the city, the mayor (personally) and the Sgt police officer (personally) for violating my 1st and 4th Amendment rights. The mayor lied to the police about him begging for money and food, so that's filing a false police report, and the police Sgt would most likely lose his qualified immunity because he simply followed the "orders" of the mayor, even though he had absolutely no proof of what the mayor had alleged. He was duty-bound to investigate the mayor's claim before telling the guy to leave.

I've watched a lot of this guy's videos, and he has never once lost his cool with the idiots he encounters. Maybe a trip to Waveland is in order!
jw38 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jw38 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 3:58pm   #8
Moond0ggie
A Real Barner
Activity: 3.6%

Exactly,
He had set up a camera to record his interactions with the people & he even refused a donation from the kind lady @ 1.14 ,
that combined with the recording of the cops, he would have had sufficient evidence to submit & win a law suit against the city
& perhaps the Mayor for his false report to the police ........He should have held his legal ground & taken the ride .

https://search.brave.com/search?q=ve...source=desktop

<Vagrancy refers to the condition of homelessness without regular employment or income. Vagrants, also known as bums, vagabonds, rogues, drag-worms, drag-rats, tramps or drifters, usually live in poverty and support themselves by begging, scavenging, petty theft, temporary work, or social security>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw38 View Post
I know no one really wants to be arrested, but I would have let them arrest me and then I would have sued the shit out of the city, the mayor (personally) and the Sgt police officer (personally) for violating my 1st and 4th Amendment rights. The mayor lied to the police about him begging for money and food, so that's filing a false police report, and the police Sgt would most likely lose his qualified immunity because he simply followed the "orders" of the mayor, even though he had absolutely no proof of what the mayor had alleged. He was duty-bound to investigate the mayor's claim before telling the guy to leave.

I've watched a lot of this guy's videos, and he has never once lost his cool with the idiots he encounters. Maybe a trip to Waveland is in order!
Moond0ggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 4:13pm   #9
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

The Following User Says Thank You to bill_daniels For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2024, 7:49pm   #10
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Texas City fired Officer Harrell for the incident in the OP:

https://abc13.com/scott-harrell-texa...tage/13756149/

Quote:
'Do you want to go to jail?' Video shows driver claiming former Texas City officer threatening him

Friday, September 8, 2023

Texas City officer out 5 months after questionable arrest at Buc-ee's

TEXAS CITY, Texas (KTRK) -- A Texas City police officer has been terminated over a viral traffic stop at Buc-ee's nearly five months ago.

Officer Scott Harrell is already fighting to get his job back.

In body-worn camera footage from April 19, which the Texas City Police Department released already blurred, Harrell approaches a man at the pump and accuses him of speeding through the parking lot and driving across parking spaces.

The driver said he didn't do anything wrong. The encounter goes on for more than 20 minutes.

In a portion of the video, the driver questions whether stopping him is really a priority.

"There's a lot better things for you to be doing," the man, whose face is obscured in the video, told Harrell.

"Do you want to go to jail?" Harrell is heard asking. "You could go to jail...You can do what you want to do."

Harrell claims not wanting to take the driver into custody, calling it a waste of his time. But he reminds the driver that the backtalk is pushing things to the edge.

"The attitude is not necessary," Harrell says in the video.

In another part of the video, the driver takes Harrell to task over the threat of an arrest.

"I think this whole thing is ridiculous - that we're even talking about. Nothing happened, and you're threatening to take me to jail. I shouldn't be getting upset? That is a threat," he's heard saying.

That exchange leads to handcuffs hitting the driver's wrists.

"Go ahead, put your hands behind your back," Harrell commands.

"Wow," the driver says in disbelief before being cuffed and loaded into the back of a police car.

An internal investigation was launched in May, and on Friday, the Texas City police chief penned a letter to the community announcing Harrell's termination.

"The decision was made after a thorough review of the circumstances and is in line with our commitment to maintaining the highest standards of professionalism, ethics and community service," Chief Landis Cravens wrote, in part.

ABC13 reached out to Harrell for comment, and he told Eyewitness News to contact his representative.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bill_daniels For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2024, 9:53pm   #11
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118
Activity: 53.2%

Thanked 1,925 Times in 1,125 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002672

Were either one of them Vaxxed?
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:05pm   #12
Moond0ggie
A Real Barner
Activity: 3.6%

That was a perfect example of a hard nose cop , exerting authority , even when the circumstance does not warrant any contact .

This is a circumstance that doesnt even require any contact , a perfect example of a hard ass , exerting his authority,
& then when the victim does not capitulate to his ego , he makes an arrest .
Moond0ggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:28pm   #13
zsr22
A Real Barner
Activity: 30.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewfoot View Post
Were either one of them Vaxxed?
Well, they're still alive. Soo....
zsr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:30pm   #14
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 1,802 Times in 699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw38 View Post

Bingo! I called it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moond0ggie View Post
That was a perfect example of a hard nose cop , exerting authority , even when the circumstance does not warrant any contact .

This is a circumstance that doesnt even require any contact , a perfect example of a hard ass , exerting his authority,
& then when the victim does not capitulate to his ego , he makes an arrest .
jw38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:33pm   #15
IrishSpuds
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1604

You could not pay me enough to be a cop, dealing with the public is a pain in the ass, especially is shitpile states like CA and NY. That being said, this piece of shit pig needs his Billy club shoved up his ass and to be fired. Some real assholes like him should never be allowed on the force as they are mentally challenged. Waste of taxpayers dollars and an embarrassment to decent cops.
IrishSpuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 12:17pm   #16
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

I'm still not satisfied with this story. The second "backup" officer that arrived apparently got no discipline. Once he heard Harrell's narrative of what took place, the second officer's job was to stop Harrell from breaking the law. Can't enforce traffic in a private parhking lot, with the exception of people pulling out of the parking lot who don't come to a complete stop before entering traffic. THAT is illegal. Driving across empty parking spaces....NOT illegal. The second cop should have immediately released the driver and let him go, but not only did he not do that, he lent his ticketing book to Harrell to write a clearly bullshit ticket to the driver. They both conspired to violate the drivers' constitutional rights. The crimes committed that day were by the two officers. One got fired. OK, but he wasn't charged with official oppression, deprivation of rights or anything else. And the second officer was really no better. The driver depended on the second cop for help that did not come.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic