Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2024, 6:04pm   #41
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 56.5%

Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,603 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

I've built 3 houses,one in Tidewater, VA, another right outside of Wash DC in Alexandra, VA and my current home near Orlando, FL. Even with a great builder, it can be stressful, with many hassles and changes along the way. One quick example, my current lakefront FL home required a "stem wall" for support in adding a swimming pool and a raised lanai. Turns out it would be the first one on the lake, so we spent weeks going round and round with permits, engineering reports, inspections, etc. Now EVERYbody on the lake has one.
And I had an incredible asset because the wife is a construction contracting officer with the US Army and oversaw most of the details.

A move-in ready home, if it meets your needs may be the ticket.... You just came off one stressful, life changing event (divorce) it may pay not to jump into another.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 7:03pm   #42
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,508 Times in 14,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
On top of 30+ years of building for others (spec and pre sold) we built plenty for ourselves. I think the current build is #11 or 12. Along with probably 15 or more moves.

My wife is a saint. I call her SuperWife.
Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWipe View Post
What a coincidence, my wifey has been known to call me SuperWipe.
That is going to stick.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 7:15pm   #43
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,453 Times in 10,612 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by snide View Post
Pics?
Name:  IMG_8841.jpeg
Views: 47
Size:  72.2 KB
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 9:09pm   #44
donuts
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 18.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
Pros/Cons?

We will be ready to move in 6mo, post divorce, blah blah blah.

Dollar for dollar how much more is building? Figure 2 acres from what I can see about 8 miles north of the area we frequent with easy access is about 100K.

This house came up and it is exactly what we are looking for but not ready to move yet:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...83451787_zpid/

We would like to build something similar, out of 18 months of getting listings this was the first we thought we would be interested in. Came out of a custom home that we completely redid.

If we were to build we'd start soon, at least buy the land but trying to figure out what is worth the hassle and what is not.

We like the idea of custom but we also don't want to invest 18-24 months. We know exactly what we like and want.
Here in Oklahoma you can buy nice existing home for $150/ft or build new for $200/ft.. and it’s nothing special , just new . We attempted to build several times and always bought existing because it just wasn’t worth the hassle .
donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 8:37am   #45
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth
Activity: 48.2%

Thanked 4,310 Times in 1,964 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2001216

Either way, you make the money.....on THE BUY! PERIOD!
Don Rickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 8:40am   #46
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rickles View Post
Either way, you make the money.....on THE BUY! PERIOD!
Not always true. I have built value that would not have been there without my efforts. I’ve also built my way out of a lot that was overvalued.
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 8:48am   #47
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth
Activity: 48.2%

Thanked 4,310 Times in 1,964 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2001216

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Not always true. I have built value that would not have been there without my efforts. I’ve also built my way out of a lot that was overvalued.
But still, my point will be found to be true in 99% of the times. You and I can't include ourselves, we can cut costs that others can't. Even then, the profits are built in from the land purchase.

Anyone can scrimp and save while building a home. The real money comes from the original buy. My properties have doubled my costs every build. THat's right, the day the homes finish they sell for twice what it costs me! I buy only from motivated sellers and what I call trouble lots.

If the OP can do some labor helping to bring down some numbers, but sweat equity ain't free....

And I like a brand new building to live in!
Don Rickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 9:38am   #48
NoOne
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 10.4%

I'd have no problem with time commitment in the short term. Being on site and all that but 18 months would be the outside of what we want.

Large scale project management isn't a problem for either of us, nor is expecting what we want from suppliers.

Never built a house but did build our last office(ground up), and refurbs on others. Been involved in 70K+sq ft ground up projects.

Entertaining space is big for us, we saw a model that we loved too far away from us that had 14' ceilings in the basement, it was a stunning look with a walk in wine storage. Storage is another thing, deeper than normal space between walls for hidden storage, deeper cabinets, large pantries.

99 percent of subdivision's in Michigan do not allow fences unless you have a pool so we've only been looking at homes with pools.

Outside of subs your either looking at very old homes or building which was another consideration so we could do fencing for the dogs.

The labor we could do, or I could get my employees to do, is just low voltage which I would have a ton of but not traditionally something that is included in the cost of a home.
NoOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 10:02am   #49
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rickles View Post
But still, my point will be found to be true in 99% of the times. You and I can't include ourselves, we can cut costs that others can't. Even then, the profits are built in from the land purchase.

Anyone can scrimp and save while building a home. The real money comes from the original buy. My properties have doubled my costs every build. THat's right, the day the homes finish they sell for twice what it costs me! I buy only from motivated sellers and what I call trouble lots.

If the OP can do some labor helping to bring down some numbers, but sweat equity ain't free....

And I like a brand new building to live in!
You are correct. I have built homes only to realize that I could have flipped the lot and made about the same amount of money.

Matter of fact I started doing exactly that. Buying lots and flipping them for profit.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:59am   #50
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,452 Times in 17,245 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
I'd have no problem with time commitment in the short term. Being on site and all that but 18 months would be the outside of what we want.

Large scale project management isn't a problem for either of us, nor is expecting what we want from suppliers.

Never built a house but did build our last office(ground up), and refurbs on others. Been involved in 70K+sq ft ground up projects.

Entertaining space is big for us, we saw a model that we loved too far away from us that had 14' ceilings in the basement, it was a stunning look with a walk in wine storage. Storage is another thing, deeper than normal space between walls for hidden storage, deeper cabinets, large pantries.

99 percent of subdivision's in Michigan do not allow fences unless you have a pool so we've only been looking at homes with pools.

Outside of subs your either looking at very old homes or building which was another consideration so we could do fencing for the dogs.

The labor we could do, or I could get my employees to do, is just low voltage which I would have a ton of but not traditionally something that is included in the cost of a home.
Buy used above ground pool, or maybe find one in disrepair for free. Set it up, take pictures, get fence approval, put up fence, remove pool after fence is complete.

How does anyone have dogs with no fenced back yards?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 12:05pm   #51
MidLifeinMI
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 2.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $501227

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
Buy used above ground pool, or maybe find one in disrepair for free. Set it up, take pictures, get fence approval, put up fence, remove pool after fence is complete.

Our next-door and across-the-street neighbors, both with 2+ acre lots, both have large dogs and invisible fences. They seem to work well.
MidLifeinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 2:44pm   #52
NoOne
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 10.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeinMI View Post
Our next-door and across-the-street neighbors, both with 2+ acre lots, both have large dogs and invisible fences. They seem to work well.
Bully breed and no physical fence is just asking for problems even if it's not your dog that is the problem.
NoOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 2:49pm   #53
LATB
A Real Barner

Even in a rural setting, pet owners are legally required to have their pets under control. And that usually means..fence or leash.
Old 02-14-2024, 3:01pm   #54
MidLifeinMI
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 2.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $501227

Quote:
Bully breed and no physical fence is just asking for problems even if it's not your dog that is the problem.
I get that; invisible fence doesn't keep OUT any other animals. Our neighbors' 2 dogs (malamute & boxer) seem to be very content within their boundaries, and because our street only has 13 houses and just a handful of dogs (always leashed when out walking), there haven't been any "incursion incidents" that I'm aware of.
MidLifeinMI is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic