Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2020, 11:08am   #21
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,655 Times in 13,628 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I'll add another component to the discussion; Open carry. This seems like a 'Dick out' - or almost a challenge to me.

This summer I was out taking Bald Eagle photos on the shoulder of the road when this guy pulls up and asks me what I'm doing. I'm always a little cautious about these chit chats because when I've got all my shit out, I'm standing there with in excess of $20k worth of photography equipment.

Anyway, he was sitting in the drivers seat and we were talking through the open window on the passenger side of his truck. And there it was, just sitting on the seat, a handgun of some sort. I wouldn't know a Glock from a Ruger but it seemed completely unnecessary to have your gun on the seat of your truck.

He was nice enough and I didn't sense any threat but as he pulled away I thought: Yeah. OK pal. You've got a gun. BFD.
Interesting that you thought BFD as he pulled away, but were very aware of it's presence as the two of you spoke. That is pretty much the way it should work. Like the sign that says "Guard dog" or "This property protected by armed security". Only if you have bad intentions does it, or should it, matter.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 11:11am   #22
Nox
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 1,678 Times in 635 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7601

Quote:
I'll add another component to the discussion; Open carry. This seems like a 'Dick out' - or almost a challenge to me.

This summer I was out taking Bald Eagle photos on the shoulder of the road when this guy pulls up and asks me what I'm doing. I'm always a little cautious about these chit chats because when I've got all my shit out, I'm standing there with in excess of $20k worth of photography equipment.

Anyway, he was sitting in the drivers seat and we were talking through the open window on the passenger side of his truck. And there it was, just sitting on the seat, a handgun of some sort. I wouldn't know a Glock from a Ruger but it seemed completely unnecessary to have your gun on the seat of your truck.

He was nice enough and I didn't sense any threat but as he pulled away I thought: Yeah. OK pal. You've got a gun. BFD.
Technically speaking, that wasn’t open carry. That was fat **** carry. That’s when people sitting in cars are uncomfortable because their pistol is digging into their side in the car seat, so they remove their weapon and place it on the seat next to them. Of course, when the road rage incident happens, and you get rear-ended, the gun will end up under your seat, right next to your cellphone as your car lurches forward.

If the shit ever hits the fan and it becomes a zombie apocalypse, the first people I’ll be taking down are the ones who are open carrying.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:14am   #23
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 33.8%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,392 Times in 1,856 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:

Thomas that was not "Open Carry", that was a person with a gun in a car. Who knows what he was doing, possible on way to/from range. Like you said there was no threat.

Open carry means a person carrying a gun in plain sight on his person, Vs concealed carry which means the gun should not be visible.

FWIW I have been able for close to 50 years to legally carry a concealed weapon and for many years was a authorized by my county as a pistol permit instructor. (pistol permit pre issue safety class.)
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 11:26am   #24
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

I should have been more clear. Yes, I understand open carry to mean walking around Target for example with your gun on display.

I was just sharing the truck story because I thought, and still think, it's silly to have your gun sitting on the front seat of your truck when you stop to chat with someone. Hell. What if *I* am some unhinged fool, sees that as a threat and acts on it?
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:40am   #25
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
I should have been more clear. Yes, I understand open carry to mean walking around Target for example with your gun on display.

I was just sharing the truck story because I thought, and still think, it's silly to have your gun sitting on the front seat of your truck when you stop to chat with someone. Hell. What if *I* am some unhinged fool, sees that as a threat and acts on it?
I guess depending on who is faster, you could be a dead unhinged fool, or he could be a dead pick up truck driver.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:41am   #26
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:

I personally think open carry is stupid, but then again, I rarely if ever see it myself. Here in California, some idiots who decided to open carry at Starbucks in downtown Los Angeles made it illegal for all Californians to open carry, even during deer season up North. So I personally don’t see it around my neighborhood. However, I do travel to various states in the south, and even then I rarely see it.

I have one personal open carry story. Since I always carry and don’t even give it a second thought, I was carrying concealed this one time in North Carolina. We decided to go to a bar, and my friend turns to me and says, “You do know you can’t carry concealed in a drinking establishment here in North Carolina, right?” Then he says, to me that it’s ok to open carry though. “Well hell, let me just set my Glock rights here on the bar then.......... Not.”
Old 08-30-2020, 11:42am   #27
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
Technically speaking, that wasn’t open carry. That was fat **** carry. That’s when people sitting in cars are uncomfortable because their pistol is digging into their side in the car seat, so they remove their weapon and place it on the seat next to them. Of course, when the road rage incident happens, and you get rear-ended, the gun will end up under your seat, right next to your cellphone as your car lurches forward.

If the shit ever hits the fan and it becomes a zombie apocalypse, the first people I’ll be taking down are the ones who are open carrying.
Why? How do you know they aren't on the same side you are?
Old 08-30-2020, 11:46am   #28
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
Why? How do you know they aren't on the same side you are?
I gave you a reader’s digest version of events. If you want a long drawn out explanation, you can take my tactics 101 class.

In a nutshell, when you open carry, your opponents will know you are armed and will take appropriate action as necessary. The same concept applies to guys who are wearing tactical pants and carrying their TADGear backpacks with moral patches plastered all over the back. All your wanna be Ninjas always stand out in a crowd and it’s easy to know who you have to take out. In an ideal world, you come and go as a gray man, and that would include not letting anyone know you are armed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 11:56am   #29
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

I don’t know what you do for a living Nox (None of my business) but judging by your posts it somewhat dictates you carry, would that be accurate? You’re not what I’d consider the ‘Average’ citizen carrying. No offense intended.

This would be akin to me showing up to work without a welding hood.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:11pm   #30
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 11,559 Times in 5,699 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

I swear this is ALL true......used to go shooting with my Dad on an inlaws farmette 40 acres into a hillside.....22 LR, typical for a early/mid teen kid....

went and got older and so the DC riots in '68 and so, had a pistol under the car seat.....no sweat, nuttin happened.....

a buddy got back from the Navy, wanted to join another friend in Tejas, so I quit my mizzzzerable job and left for Tejas......Dallas/FW region....

never an issue or feel need for a gun, BUT did have a rifle and pistol......

I remember aiming at some illegals on the street from the apt/ window, they RAN like HELL.....point made.......nothing happened.....this all in spring '70.....

so back to DC, my buddy married a nurse and got a GOOD job at Miller Brew off the southbound freeway.....moved to Crowley and both their daughters are millionaires today.....

I went to work in the TV business, rode around with a pistol under my car seat.....car looked stock and boring, Pontiac B body.....for a reason, INSURANCE and then attracting attention, something to not do in Wash DC.....Wash Nat HI FI show '72.......pistol under the street riots all over town, closing down the show, drove around the corner after unloading the crap and there was a burned out VW bug upside down, I missed the action by about 15 minits.....

First wife Honeymoon....Pa. resort....I had a few guns with me, and so we had fun at the range....no biggie,

I have been lucky in that never had any issues, and the riots toning down, never had to use the pistols under the seat.....and stopped that long ago....

TODAY, I would not go anywhere NEAR WASH DC without a sub machine gun on full ready......

mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:34pm   #31
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 33,024 Times in 14,164 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

conservative: i think it is prudent that I carry a gun.

liberal: i don't think it is prudent that I carry a gun, therefore, you shouldn't either.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 1:03pm   #32
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
conservative: i think it is prudent that I carry a gun.

liberal: i don't think it is prudent that I carry a gun, therefore, you shouldn't either.
And you’d be wrong. I don’t feel the need to carry. But it’s up to you if you choose to do so.
Old 08-30-2020, 5:43pm   #33
Anjdog2003
Due to inflation they are no longer free
Activity: 62.9%

Thanked 25,718 Times in 10,015 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $324490

Quote:

I would have just bitch slapped you and took your $20k worth of photography equipment. I don't need no weapon for you.

I'm a bad man, I'm pretty, and i shook up the world
Anjdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 6:02pm   #34
Stevedore
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 1.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $406058

I live in NJ, so the chances of carrying a gun around, concealed or otherwise, are essentially zero.

I got my NJ handgun permit just as the Covid crap was starting, & had been looking forward to learning & practicing at a nearby range. Ranges were closed for a while, but open with some restrictions now, so I may go out to some gun stores & see what's available.

And if it ever becomes possible to carry in NJ, I probably would. We live in a seemingly safe area, but one never knows, do one?
Stevedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 6:04pm   #35
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 6:16pm   #36
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 33,024 Times in 14,164 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
I live in NJ, so the chances of carrying a gun around, concealed or otherwise, are essentially zero.

I got my NJ handgun permit just as the Covid crap was starting, & had been looking forward to learning & practicing at a nearby range. Ranges were closed for a while, but open with some restrictions now, so I may go out to some gun stores & see what's available.

And if it ever becomes possible to carry in NJ, I probably would. We live in a seemingly safe area, but one never knows, do one?
of course the armed robbers go thru the same process as you, and obey all the laws about where and when they can carry their pistol, so it sounds very safe.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 8:29pm   #37
markids77
A Real Barner
Activity: 12.2%

Thanked 3,854 Times in 2,219 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1000483

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
Note to Cyber and Snik if you are watching... that ain't a shotgun.
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to markids77 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 9:11pm   #38
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,508 Times in 14,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
I don’t know what you do for a living Nox (None of my business) but judging by your posts it somewhat dictates you carry, would that be accurate? You’re not what I’d consider the ‘Average’ citizen carrying. No offense intended.

This would be akin to me showing up to work without a welding hood.
I heard that Nox knits watch bands for a living.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 9:27pm   #39
Knooger
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,956 Times in 802 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by snide View Post
I heard that Nox knits watch bands for a living.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Knooger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knooger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 9:36pm   #40
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knooger View Post
What do they define as victim of a violent crime? I've never been the victim of a violent crime, I don't know of any story about someone I know being a victim of violent crime. Has anyone here been a victim of violent crime?

Obviously it does happen, I'm just skeptical about it being as high as 1 out of 2.
Maybe if you live in some shithole city, then I could see it maybe being true.
I've had a knife pulled on me three times, my life threatened each time, demands that I hand over my possessions. A guy shot a .357 revolver at my head and missed by inches. And all that happened with me being pretty much a poster boy for Eagle Scout Troop Leader. Your mileage may vary. I carry a weapon at all times, either a very effective knife or a very effective gun.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic