Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2024, 2:39pm   #1101
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,870 Times in 3,887 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
[4-penny] [4-penny]
There you go again, conflating items from separate dialogs with an insidious agenda meant to undermine my cred. Exploiting my Mental Illness for entertainment value while standing in urine in the shallow end of the pool. smh lol Whaaaaaaaaat!
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 3:09pm   #1102
Murray
A Real Barner
Activity: 19.4%

Thanked 11,306 Times in 4,025 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
It's useless like when your trucks range shows 500 miles and then, after driving in city traffic for 250 miles, with AC on full blast, you are empty.. Same thing. How far you can go depends on conditions. My F150 Supercrew showed 500 miles range but on tanks when I only drove city and was stuck in stop and go highway traffic, I'd get 250 mile range. So, don't try to BS me and suggest that only EVs don't get their advertised range.
Range depends on conditions .
[SteveR] nobody in history has run out of gas because their distance to empty was more than the actual miles driven [SteveR]

Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 3:14pm   #1103
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 96.4%

Thanked 33,691 Times in 11,842 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Rent free.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 3:16pm   #1104
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 59.7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime1996525 View Post
You do know the range updates as you drive, right?
I'm aware of that. However, the only time it will display a good estimate if you continue the same pattern. Let's say, you drive mostly downhill for 40 miles and your range shows 75 miles and then a mountain comes up and you drive mostly uphill for 50 miles.. You'll probably be empty much quicker than 75 miles becauae that estimate was based on driving downhill. Same thing goes with a traffic jam.. You cruise on I-10 and drive 150 miles at 70 mph.. Your guess-o-meter will now think that you have 350 miles remaining. Then you hit a construction zone with 15 mile backed up traffic and you drive stop and go for 2 hours. Now, let's say it's 95 degrees and your AC is on.. You won't get anything close to the estimate at that time. So, the guess o meter is only accurate if you continue the driving pattern . It's not very accurate as the guess o meter on a non Tesla car does not know where you are going, what the weather conditions are, if you are going uphill or downhill, if there are traffic jams, what you set your AC to etc... The Tesla range prediction is the most accurate I have ever seen as it uses your NAV and the car
a) knows where you are going and the terrain (uphill or downhill)
b) knows the wind speed and wind direction from the national weather service for your route
c) knows about traffic jams and adjusts range based on the predicted traffic pattern
d) knows your accessory use and adjusts range based on what temp you set heater or AC.

I have never seen a more accurate range prediction than on a Tesla because of that.
If you don't have all that data, all the car does is to guess. Tesla NAV does not guess. It makes informed decisions on range based on where you are going.
No matter how much you dislike Tesla, the data based range prediction is superior to the typical guess o meter in other cars.
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 3:19pm   #1105
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Rent free.

Name:  BB-Jesse.png
Views: 101
Size:  405.9 KB
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 3:39pm   #1106
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 29.9%

Thanked 7,771 Times in 3,458 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
I'm aware of that. However, the only time it will display a good estimate if you continue the same pattern. Let's say, you drive mostly downhill for 40 miles and your range shows 75 miles and then a mountain comes up and you drive mostly uphill for 50 miles.. You'll probably be empty much quicker than 75 miles becauae that estimate was based on driving downhill. Same thing goes with a traffic jam.. You cruise on I-10 and drive 150 miles at 70 mph.. Your guess-o-meter will now think that you have 350 miles remaining. Then you hit a construction zone with 15 mile backed up traffic and you drive stop and go for 2 hours. Now, let's say it's 95 degrees and your AC is on.. You won't get anything close to the estimate at that time. So, the guess o meter is only accurate if you continue the driving pattern . It's not very accurate as the guess o meter on a non Tesla car does not know where you are going, what the weather conditions are, if you are going uphill or downhill, if there are traffic jams, what you set your AC to etc... The Tesla range prediction is the most accurate I have ever seen as it uses your NAV and the car
a) knows where you are going and the terrain (uphill or downhill)
b) knows the wind speed and wind direction from the national weather service for your route
c) knows about traffic jams and adjusts range based on the predicted traffic pattern
d) knows your accessory use and adjusts range based on what temp you set heater or AC.

I have never seen a more accurate range prediction than on a Tesla because of that.
If you don't have all that data, all the car does is to guess. Tesla NAV does not guess. It makes informed decisions on range based on where you are going.
No matter how much you dislike Tesla, the data based range prediction is superior to the typical guess o meter in other cars.
The part that you are continuously missing is that none of that shit actually matters if you're in an ICE vehicle. You spend your life worrying about range, where you'll stop next, whether you're driving efficiently or if speeding up means you won't make it as far, where you can go get "free" charges, plugging in, making sure you can get where you want to go. What is your obsession doesn't even cross my mind in an ICE vehicle. ICE manufacturers haven't developed the range predicting technology because they don't have to. Nobody cares. Nobody in an ICE car has to plan their stops and worry about whether they can make it somewhere.

Quote:
Tesla sure as hell better be superior ... because running out in the Tesla is catastrophic whereas running short of predicted range on any ICE vehicle is a 5 minute detour.

THAT is the part that you don't seem to grasp. I don't have my range displayed on the dash of any of my vehicles. Why? Because it doesn't matter. I don't give a crap if my truck tells me 500 and I only get 350. "Range" is not a concern whatsoever. Hitting a traffic jam is not a concern. Running the AC is not a concern. Range consumes your every thought in an EV. Planning, worrying about efficiency, making sure you have enough. I stop for 5 minutes when the gas light comes on.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 4:21pm   #1107
LATB
A Real Barner

Thanked 23,689 Times in 10,740 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
There you go again, conflating items from separate dialogs with an insidious agenda meant to undermine my cred. Exploiting my Mental Illness for entertainment value while standing in urine in the shallow end of the pool. smh lol Whaaaaaaaaat!
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 6:48pm   #1108
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
The part that you are continuously missing is that none of that shit actually matters if you're in an ICE vehicle. You spend your life worrying about range, where you'll stop next, whether you're driving efficiently or if speeding up means you won't make it as far, where you can go get "free" charges, plugging in, making sure you can get where you want to go. What is your obsession doesn't even cross my mind in an ICE vehicle. ICE manufacturers haven't developed the range predicting technology because they don't have to. Nobody cares. Nobody in an ICE car has to plan their stops and worry about whether they can make it somewhere.

Tesla sure as hell better be superior ... because running out in the Tesla is catastrophic whereas running short of predicted range on any ICE vehicle is a 5 minute detour.

THAT is the part that you don't seem to grasp. I don't have my range displayed on the dash of any of my vehicles. Why? Because it doesn't matter. I don't give a crap if my truck tells me 500 and I only get 350. "Range" is not a concern whatsoever. Hitting a traffic jam is not a concern. Running the AC is not a concern. Range consumes your every thought in an EV. Planning, worrying about efficiency, making sure you have enough. I stop for 5 minutes when the gas light comes on.
EVs run short of predicted range in certain conditions and gas cars run short of their predicted range in others. I never had to worry about making it in any of my EVs and I have driven well over 100k EV miles.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:11pm   #1109
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
I never had to worry about making it in any of my EVs and I have driven well over 100k EV miles.
,,,and yet you're talking about how good the Tesla range prediction is. If you've never had to worry, why would it matter?
Old 02-18-2024, 3:54pm   #1110
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
,,,and yet you're talking about how good the Tesla range prediction is. If you've never had to worry, why would it matter?
It doesn't matter to me as I drive responsibly and understand how far my car can go based on conditions and route. I don't need the Nav to do it for me.
I still use the NAV as it will get me on the fastest route based on traffic and it will precondition the battery for fast charging if the trip involves a charging stop. I personally don't use the recommended charging stops as I know how far my car can go and I program the stops I want to make and not the ones the car suggests. Nav tends to be very conservative to be stupid people proof. As I've driven 50k Tesla miles, I know how far I can go on a charge factoring in the type of route I'm going. I'm an adult and I know my car. Just like I never ran out of gas (other the one time I intentionally kept fuel level low for drag racing), I won't ever run out of charge.
Old 02-18-2024, 4:38pm   #1111
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 10.1%

Thanked 33,888 Times in 12,349 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 6:08pm   #1112
LATB
A Real Barner

Thanked 23,689 Times in 10,740 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Did yawl know about the Chevy S10 EV in the late 1990's?
Chevy made it for 2 years and initially only municipalities bought them. But even the muni's had no love and Chevy scrapped the truck after only a few hundred were sold.

Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-Electric_Chevy_S-10.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	96789
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 6:35pm   #1113
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
I personally don't use the recommended charging stops as I know how far my car can go and I program the stops I want to make and not the ones the car suggests.
Programming stops.

Funny... I've never, not once, had to program or pre-plan in any way where I was going to stop. I drive. Any roads, any conditions, at any speed I choose, anywhere I choose, through rural mountains or cities, at any time of day or night, until I feel like stopping for whatever reason... or about 600 miles, whichever comes first.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 7:01pm   #1114
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 42.4%

Thanked 7,125 Times in 3,154 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Programming stops.

Funny... I've never, not once, had to program or pre-plan in any way where I was going to stop. I drive. Any roads, any conditions, at any speed I choose, anywhere I choose, through rural mountains or cities, at any time of day or night, until I feel like stopping for whatever reason... or about 600 miles, whichever comes first.

GS is so indoctrinated that he not only thinks that planning every trip he wants to take into the computer of his car is "normal", he actually celebrates it.

In the last 45 years I've been driving ICE vehicles, well over a half a million miles, the only time I have ever ran out of gas was when a baffle in my gas tank broke, and blocked the float from going down past about 3/8 of a tank mark. In hindsight, I should have known something wasn't right based on how far I had driven since last filling up, but I was in a hurry to get to work, and obviously had a brain fart.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 7:28am   #1115
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Programming stops.

Since I had Navigation on any car, I did plan my gas stops on routes I knew (like the one from Lakeland/FL to McAllen/TX) because I knew where the cheapest gas stations were on the route. There always was up to 50 cents per gallon difference.
Like for example, I filled up on I-10 exit 196 every single time as exit 196 was the last cheap gas for over 100 miles, so, I didn't want to be empty on that 100 mile super expensive stretch. Another stop we always took was Costco at Sugarland/TX just south of Houston which always was the cheapest gas in the Houston area. Later, when Waze started, I used the Waze gas price function to find cheap gas stations along the route and navigated to the cheaper ones on the route. Over 3000 miles of driving, that saved me a ton of money. I didn't go out of the way, just picked my stops based on gas prices. Before waze, I also used gasbuddy.com to find cheap gas ststions on the route.
Old 02-19-2024, 9:23am   #1116
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 96.4%

Thanked 33,691 Times in 11,842 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Brags about high net worth and income, but uses Nav system to find cheap gas and thinks $.50/gallon is "super expensive."
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 9:24am   #1117
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Since I had Navigation on any car, I did plan my gas stops on routes I knew (like the one from Lakeland/FL to McAllen/TX) because I knew where the cheapest gas stations were on the route. There always was up to 50 cents per gallon difference.
Like for example, I filled up on I-10 exit 196 every single time as exit 196 was the last cheap gas for over 100 miles, so, I didn't want to be empty on that 100 mile super expensive stretch. Another stop we always took was Costco at Sugarland/TX just south of Houston which always was the cheapest gas in the Houston area. Later, when Waze started, I used the Waze gas price function to find cheap gas stations along the route and navigated to the cheaper ones on the route. Over 3000 miles of driving, that saved me a ton of money. I didn't go out of the way, just picked my stops based on gas prices. Before waze, I also used gasbuddy.com to find cheap gas ststions on the route.
Did you also find the optimal gas mileage speed of your vehicles and stick to that? I'm sure that would save you more than planning around specific gas stations.

I have never even remotely considered spending the time and effort to plan a long trip around saving a couple of dollars on gas. I don't waste money, but I also don't plan my entire life around pennies.
Old 02-19-2024, 9:33am   #1118
Unsuspicious
A Real Barner
Activity: 6.5%

Thanked 1,853 Times in 999 Posts

Don't know why you are all so surprised about an Austrian caring about ruthless time management
Unsuspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 9:38am   #1119
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsuspicious View Post
Don't know why you are all so surprised about an Austrian caring about ruthless time management
Boredom... with all of the time I have available not worrying about where I'm going to get my next free charge.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:33am   #1120
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 65.5%

Thanked 18,677 Times in 8,265 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Brags about high net worth and income, but uses Nav system to find cheap gas and thinks $.50/gallon is "super expensive."
How do you think he achieved his high net worth? By pinching every single penny of course!! Same reason Warren Buffet still lives in his old tract house and Sam Walton drives an old pickup truck.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic