Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C3 Corvette > C3 Open Discussion

C3 Open Discussion General and technical C3 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, restoration

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2013, 10:04pm   #1
ZZ383
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $605
Default Busted a Mustang GT's Arse

Ok this forum is pretty dead so let's see if this gets me kicked off. Whatever you feel about street racing, some of us didn't build our cars to cruise the Sonic, Car show, or sit in a garage. The later C3's are in many ways perfect sleepers. I know it's strange thinking of a Corvette as a sleeper. Visions of granny's 81 Malibu or 78 Nova are more common but the smogged out sub 200 horse vettes of the 75-82 era are awesome sleepers. Case in point, my ZZ383 powered 81. Reagan rushed into office faster than this thing did with it's L81, 190 horse mouse. Well tonight was really the first quality kill she's had since the transplant. I left the local Hot Rod gathering spot which these days is filled with older gents talking chopped and channeled rods. These guys have nice rides and pretty paint but really aren't my cup of tea. I pulled out of the parking area and pulled onto the main divided highway in town. Along side comes new edge fox 4 mustang (99-04) GT, Saleen wheels, dark green with wing delete. He's sporting flowmaster style chambered exhaust which he thinks impresses me. No telling what else is in it since it is clearly in the modification era of it's life with a huge mustang aftermarket. We roll down through a heavily populated era. He's bouncing the nose and revving on me. I'm not being as obvious but I'm spooling up a bit between gears and trying to keep alert for cops. Things are going my way as I'm taking him out to the outskirts of town into what I think of as deeper water. I've never lost a race in this area for over two decades. We are slowing for the light when it turns. Nobody seem to want to go from a dig anymore since You Tube makes them think they have to roll and honk three times. He revs and hits it, I follow suit and reel him in fast and ugly. Flash of the shift light on my monster tach and bam second minimal spin and back in full pull. Flash, bam, third, bus lengths on him. I tap the brakes to let him close. He eases by and revs. I sit back and let him slow again. I start to come along side by around 40ish and he kicks it. I follow suit letting the Holley 770 Street Avenger funnel through my Edlebrock Air Gap to the Aluminum Vortec heads. Flash, bam, I really hope this Super T-10 lasts better than the last one I pull him hard again. This time his lights get small really fast and I realize he has turned to avoid me. I turn around at the next medium turn around and roll back towards town. I catch sight of him turning into a convenient store and I follow suit. As he's getting out he looks over and sees me. He comes walking over with a grin and I give him a thumbs up. His first question is "Is that a 350?"...I respond "kinda". "Are you on the bottle?"..."Nope, just throttle". In the end he was a good guy. He was heading off to the army in a month or so and was gonna build his car up when he got back. I told him thanks for the service to our country, watch his butt in combat, and don't mess with flat black corvettes with punisher/corvette emblems in the back window and a cam that sounds like the car will die any moment.
ZZ383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 6:43pm   #2
AGVI
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 1.0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5

Cool story.
AGVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 6:49pm   #3
Norm
Barn Stall Owner #1776
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 29.2%

Thanked 15,024 Times in 4,314 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2002001941

Good story! Some paragraph breaks would have been nice, makes for easier reading, old fart here....
Old 04-25-2013, 7:03pm   #4
thegreenman
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #22
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8878

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ383 View Post
Whatever you feel about street racing, some of us didn't build our cars to cruise the Sonic, Car show, or sit in a garage.

Sounds like you had some fun enjoying your Vette.
thegreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:47am   #5
Stingray76
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10
Default LOL

Awesome story...Atleast the guy was a good sport...
Stingray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 3:38pm   #6
7t9l82
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 3.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $650

mustangs are kind of low hanging fruit aren't they?
7t9l82 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > C3 Corvette > C3 Open Discussion