Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2014, 4:41am   #181
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51 View Post
I knew boilermaker sounded like a name of as drink so I looked it up....

Got more than I bargained for...

Urban Dictionary: Boilermaker
For the sake of argument lets assume he means the number 1 & 3 definitions..

Number 5.... well, that is reserved for UD...
island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 6:07am   #182
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.1%

Thanked 23,345 Times in 10,558 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
I'm not changing the name because that is simply bad ju-ju.

For thousands of years, boats were built exclusively for commercial or military purposes. Commercial boats, defined as fishing boats, cargo, utlity and passenger vessels were owned and operated by businesses whose primary goal was to make a profit. Taxes, fees and assessments on these transactions were awkward to define and enforce. Unless a "change of ownership" was documented and provided to the taxing authorities it was difficult to collect taxes associated with these transactions.

Changing the name on a vessel was perhaps the most obvious way to advertise that a large transaction had just taken place, attracting unwanted attention from taxing authorities and other opportunists. It was therefore considered “unlucky” to bring attention to the change of ownership. Keeping the vessels original name implied that all her documents and affairs were in order. To this day, most US ships are registered in foreign countries to avoid these "unlucky" taxes and regulations.

There is a hint of truth to give the myth some credibility. Keeping the original name of a commercial vessel helps to maintain or enhance her status in her given industry. These vessels are more easily identified and welcomed in familiar ports as an asset to maritime commerce. Changing the name of a commercial vessel is also considered unnecessary unless the old name adversely impacts the new business interests.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2014, 6:37am   #183
Fasglas
Barn Stall Owner #457
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 77.6%

Thanked 5,091 Times in 2,389 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10200183

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post

There is a hint of truth to give the myth some credibility. Keeping the original name of a commercial vessel helps to maintain or enhance her status in her given industry. These vessels are more easily identified and welcomed in familiar ports as an asset to maritime commerce. Changing the name of a commercial vessel is also considered unnecessary unless the old name adversely impacts the new business interests.
Right. Renaming a vessel CAN be done, but perhaps the name TITANIC should be avoided. MINNOW would be a bad choice, as well.
Fasglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 6:37am   #184
War Eagle ZO6
A Real Barner
Activity: 40.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1006507

Well alright!! Glad to see you reviving her DJ. You can change the name on her and not have bad luck--my Trojan was named "Charisma" when I bought her and I changed the name to "Fortunate Sun" and I have not had any bad luck because I followed a few simple steps.

Renaming Your Boat - BoatSafe.com

Ceremony for Renaming Your Boat

By Capt. Pat

Everyone knows that renaming your boat will bring nothing but bad luck and make your boating experience something that you will want to forget. But what happens when, after months of searching, you find your dreamboat with a name that you just cannot live with. For example, my first love was a 28-foot Alden with the most beautiful lines I’d ever seen. She was named Perfidious. How could anything this graceful be named betrayer of trust? Well, I never bought her, but I often thought that if I had, I would have renamed her Magic, after my wife.

Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names. So, is there a way to change a name and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the elements? Yes, Virginia, there is.

According to legend, each and every vessel is recorded by name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea. It is logical therefore, if we wish to change the name of our boat, the first thing we must do is to purge its name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Poseidon’s memory.

This is an involved process beginning with the removal or obliteration of every trace of the boat’s current identity. This is essential and must be done thoroughly.

I once went through the ceremony after the owner had assured me that every reference to his boat’s old name had been purged from her. A couple of weeks later, he discovered he had missed a faded name on her floating key chain. I advised him to start over, perhaps with a little extra libation for the ruler of the sea. Unfortunately, he declined.

Since then, his boat has been struck by lightning, had its engine ruined by the ingress of the sea, been damaged by collision and finally sunk! It pays to be thorough.

In purging your boat, it is acceptable to use White-Out or some similar obliterating fluid to expunge the boat’s name from log books, engine and maintenance records etc., but it is much easier to simply remove the offending document from the boat and start afresh. Don’t forget the life rings and especially the transom and forward name boards.

Do not under any circumstances carry aboard any item bearing your boat’s new name until the purging and renaming ceremonies have been completed!

Once you are certain every reference to her old name has been removed from her, all that is left to do is to prepare a metal tag with the old name written on it in water-soluble ink. You will also need a bottle of reasonably good Champagne. Plain old sparkling wine won’t cut it. Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party. Begin by invoking the name of the ruler of the deep as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (here insert the old name of your vessel) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. (At this point, the prepared metal tag is dropped from the bow of the boat into the sea.)

In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (Pour at least half of the bottle of Champagne into the sea from East to West. The remainder may be passed among your guests.

It is usual for the renaming ceremony to be conducted immediately following the purging ceremony, although it may be done at any time after the purging ceremony. For this portion of the proceedings, you will need more Champagne, Much more because you have a few more gods to appease.Begin the renaming by again calling Poseidon as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name. Begin in this manner:

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boat’s new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

Enjoy your boat DJ
War Eagle ZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to War Eagle ZO6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2014, 6:49am   #185
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Nice post WE, but sounds like a big waste of Booze..

I wonder if Rhum would work?

island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 8:34am   #186
simpleman68
Barn Stall Owner #17
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '12,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 6.1%

Thanked 8,118 Times in 4,246 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10510030

Quote:
Check out some boat forums and their audio sections. I had an idea for mine but after reading many threads I have much more design to do with some audio pros I know...
I've been installing mobile audio since '86 and had my own company for some years. I went on some boat forums that had some fair stereo threads for ideas. I was surprised nobody addressed much beyond the most basic of acoustics.

My goal is to add some clean power to new/better speakers with improved placement but with improved isolation. Marine applications just jam a driver into an open hole where there's room but it is not at all tuned to that driver.
Should be awesome. Feel free to give me a shout if you want to knock around any ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
Wow, that us super clean! You should have seen it before I cleaned it.
She was a filthy ho but it is really nice to see her clean up so well. I did a full gut of the cabin and scrubbed all vinyl and interior surfaces and let dry before replacing. I'm going to price out having the vinyl replaced topside. I'm guessing it'll cost $1500+ if I bring the pieces to their shop but it would be worth it.

Once I get the hull polished, the vinyl replaced and the tunes in, she should be a killer, budget lake toy that we can have some fun with in FL this Winter too.
Buying a new Load Rite trailer for that road trip.
Scott
Old 07-30-2014, 8:43am   #187
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,862 Times in 11,765 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by island14 View Post
For the sake of argument lets assume he means the number 1 & 3 definitions..

Number 5.... well, that is reserved for UD...
If it involves defecation he can have those definitions.

If it wasn't bad luck to change a name it would definitely br SAIL BAD THE SINNER
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:25am   #188
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 9.0%

Thanked 11,553 Times in 5,695 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Almost 40 years ago, I living in a hi rise, got a 2nd floor apt. bought a 14' sailboat, named Tacky.....had to rebuild the hull as it was a balsawood core, so out came the saws and removed the lining/junk, rotten wood relined it with Styrofoam, closed cell a layer of fine fiberglass cloth and a gallon of epoxy.......then the stinky stuff, a layer or glass roving and fiberglass resin, the fumes went into the main air intake for the 500 unit building 15 stories tall, the glass fumes filled the entire building and stuck around for a week.....
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2014, 8:55am   #189
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

I have determined the boat hates it's name so I will therefore have to change it to....

SAILBAD THE SINNER.
Old 08-04-2014, 4:28pm   #190
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0%

Thanked 10,607 Times in 6,383 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611

Quote:
I have determined the boat hates it's name so I will therefore have to change it to....

SAILBAD THE SINNER.
I like it.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 4:29pm   #191
Stangkiller
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #5
Barn Raising I,II,III,IV
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,935 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2173478

Quote:

SAILBAD THE SINNER.
SS Sick Bitch

SS standing for Sin or Swim
Stangkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stangkiller For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2014, 5:01pm   #192
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Was talking it over with dad while we were replacing a set of hydraulic hoses and it started rain heavily...again....like it does every time I go to do anything on it.

So, the council voted, decided, and she will be renamed RAIN MAKER.
Old 08-04-2014, 5:13pm   #193
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Still my favorite boat name has to be DIE YUPPIE SCUM. Every time I saw it on the lake I'd just crack up.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 6:03am   #194
War Eagle ZO6
A Real Barner

Quote:
If it involves defecation he can have those definitions.

If it wasn't bad luck to change a name it would definitely br SAIL BAD THE SINNER
I have seen that name on approximately 10,128 boats on the SC/GA coast alone. Of course, you would be the first non sail boat to have it so there is that.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:05am   #195
GentleBen
Barn Stall Owner #84
Barn Raising II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 4.9%

Thanked 1,754 Times in 824 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $112749

DJ, considering the noise she should make when in motion let me suggest the name from an old racing boat. "Das Fireschpitten Loudinboomer"

GentleBen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GentleBen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 10:53am   #196
The_Dude
Barn Stall Owner #113
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 30.9%

Thanked 16,996 Times in 6,933 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $306898

I thought "SS Cliterus" was good.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:58am   #197
War Eagle ZO6
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
I thought "SS Cliterus" was good.
SS Rectum Wrecker

Old 08-05-2014, 1:54pm   #198
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

My favorite boat name was on a Sanger hull with a Chrysler hemi with a 6-71 GMC blower. "Blown Money"
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic