Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2024, 5:25pm   #41
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,562 Times in 17,291 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Hey I gotta ask ya BD, since you mentioned Houston... Do you live in Houston near the 610 Loop, and do you know where Telephone Road is?
I live in one of the burbs, outside Houston's second loop, the Beltway 8.

610 at Telephone is the Sunnyside area to the south, and 3rd Ward to the north. Don't let the names fool you, it's one of the most dangerous places in the country. My friend from Ft. Worth came down to see me in the evening, when it was dark, and was lost. He called me.

"Where ya at?"

"Uh, looks like 610 and, uh, uh, Telephone Rd."

"OK, first, get in your car and GTFO of there immediately. I don't care where you go, just get away from there. It's not safe."

"Uh, OK."

https://propertyclub.nyc/article/mos...ods-in-houston

Quote:
Houston is a great place to live, but you'll want to make sure you live in a safe part of the city. While we wouldn't say Houston is unsafe, it does have some dangerous areas. Read on to discover Houston's most violent neighborhoods.
Is Houston Dangerous?

Houston isn't very dangerous compared to other large cities, but crime in the city has risen in recent years. Houston has a crime rate that is 126% higher than the national average, which is comparable to other large cities. The main problem is the increasing violent crime rate since 2020.

While many areas of the city are relatively safe, these are the worst neighborhoods in Houston based on crime statistics from 2021 and 2022.
Most Dangerous Neighborhoods in Houston

Sunnyside
MacGregor
Sharpstown
Greenspoint
Far North
Northeast
Northwest
East End
Sugarland
Pasadena

1. Sunnyside

The most dangerous neighborhood in Houston is Sunnyside due to its extremely high crime rate, which has only risen in recent years
. Sunnyside is a large neighborhood located South of downtown Houston and has a population of 17,751. The crime rate in Sunnyside is 92 per 1,000 people, meaning residents have a 1 in 11 chance of being the victim of a crime. Some of the most common violent crimes in the neighborhood are robbery, assaults, and to a lesser degree, murder.

2. MacGregor

Another one of the most dangerous areas in Houston is the MacGregor neighborhood, which is located in southeast Houston's Third Ward.
The area includes beautiful old mansions and a well-funded research university. However, many low-income apartments are located in the MacGregor neighborhood, and a lot of violent crime and theft happen there. The violent crime rate is 78 per 1000 residents. The neighborhood is so violent that it's been ranked as one of the most dangerous areas in the United States.

The public schools are some of the most poorly rated in the Houston School District.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 5:45pm   #42
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 36.7%

Thanked 7,090 Times in 3,137 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
375M would be very nice.
I guess.

Living in NJ, the state would take another 10%, so if I won, I would only net out about $315 million. I guess that would tide me over for a while.

Wife wants me to get another $10 ticket. I'll probably give her what she wants, but as a guy who has a Master's degree in statistics, I have a pretty clear understanding of what I am about to do. The probability of me winning the jackpot by buying the ticket is not statistically significantly different than running a $10 bill through the shredder.

Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 5:53pm   #43
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,233 Times in 4,620 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
The estimate for last night was $1.0 billion. The increase to $1.2 billion included the lottery's best guess of how many tickets will be sold for Saturday. It could go higher, if the public gets in a frenzy over it, but $1.5 billion is pretty unlikely.

Cash value on the $1.2 billion is $595 million. Federal tax on that will be about $220 million, so you'll net out about $375 million if you don't pay state tax.
You may be right, BUT Saturday drawing has a three-day run-up vs. two days for Monday and Wednesday drawings.
Also, blue collar payday is Friday.
Mega is very low due to recent winner.

Go to any store on Friday and Saturday that sells tickets, will be a frenzy, more buyers and in larger ticket quantities.

I used 63% of lump sum for net, they only withhold 25% of cash prize, you pay remainder when you file.
Onebadcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 7:24pm   #44
Red Baron
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.4%

Default Mr. Daniels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
I live in one of the burbs, outside Houston's second loop, the Beltway 8.

610 at Telephone is the Sunnyside area to the south, and 3rd Ward to the north. Don't let the names fool you, it's one of the most dangerous places in the country. My friend from Ft. Worth came down to see me in the evening, when it was dark, and was lost. He called me.

"Where ya at?"

"Uh, looks like 610 and, uh, uh, Telephone Rd."

"OK, first, get in your car and GTFO of there immediately. I don't care where you go, just get away from there. It's not safe."

"Uh, OK."
https://propertyclub.nyc/article/mos...ods-in-houston
Wow, Okay. Thanks for the reply, Wild Bill!
Telephone Road is famous for it's violence, prostitution, and crime... which is what attracted me to it in the first place. Anyway I ended up there at one point in my sordid past back in the 90's. I hooked up with a sleazy, I mean nice pleasant well-mannered young bar tender lady at the Paradise Ice House. I had just arrived there after taking three busses to get to Matamoros, walking/crawling over the bridge into Brownsville, and thumbing my way up to Houston. Once there, I ended up driving for a material outfit haulin' rock and sand. Don Schneider was the company and he was the nastiest drunk in Humble. Anyway, I met characters by the name of Rawhide, and others I ferget. It was a nasty side of town, and drunken pool games and fist fights for the losers was the norm. Ahh, the good old days...
Attached Images

Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Baron For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 1:12pm   #45
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,233 Times in 4,620 Posts

Now up to $1.3B, I agree $1.5B is a stretch, but think we will see $1.4+B by Saturday night
Onebadcad is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic