Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2020, 6:14pm   #1
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393
Default Bullshit news this evening......

Talking about food charity distributins....a neighbor for some 23 years has been involved in that free food charity centers for a LONG time now....

SO this AM, he took off in his pickup to go help at the distribution center/church oriented group he been involved with for decades.....

and almost NO ONE showed up!!!!!

SO all the food that was not picked up for FREE, was having to be distributed to the workers.......including HIM.....

and it was such a ridiculous amount.......try a dozen LARGE bags of delicious grapes, about a dozen or better burgers, a length of frozen ham slices almost a foot long, frozen of course.....plus about 30 lbs of canned goods.....

and that was MY share of the load outta the back of his truck.....today.....

now he has volunteered many times and was called today because of heavy expected load......

and NO SHOW.......draw your own conclusions......
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 6:45pm   #2
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Talking about food charity distributins....a neighbor for some 23 years has been involved in that free food charity centers for a LONG time now....

SO this AM, he took off in his pickup to go help at the distribution center/church oriented group he been involved with for decades.....

and almost NO ONE showed up!!!!!

SO all the food that was not picked up for FREE, was having to be distributed to the workers.......including HIM.....

and it was such a ridiculous amount.......try a dozen LARGE bags of delicious grapes, about a dozen or better burgers, a length of frozen ham slices almost a foot long, frozen of course.....plus about 30 lbs of canned goods.....

and that was MY share of the load outta the back of his truck.....today.....

now he has volunteered many times and was called today because of heavy expected load......

and NO SHOW.......draw your own conclusions......
After the fires and evacuations here in recent years, food banks were overwhelmed with donations, most from food establishments like restaurants and grocery stores who had their businesses disrupted and had to unload perishable food. The food banks were practically begging for people to come get the stuff, as they only had so much refrigeration space available.

Same thing is happening now to some extent. My next door neighbor goes to the food banks (I don't) and since he's vegetarian he gave me all the meat products. There was a pork sirloin roast, some frozen packages of beef stew and two 1.5 lb cans of cooked ground pork. It's all institutional food, you can tell by the labeling. It's interesting to see how much restaurant food that you think they do such a great job of preparing actually comes to them pretty much almost ready to serve.

The first few days after the shutdown started, there were about 50 cars lined up at the food bank near me. This week no one in line but a few cars coming in one at a time.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 7:04pm   #3
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

THAT is the whole thing, they called in Chuck for a major effort, and all this goof FOOD was no need....even for FREE???

so they went to the food stores and spend the .gov checks, I suppose.....

and so the workers like Chuck brought it home to distribute the entire pickup bed full of boxes to this retirement burb

NICE, but......WTF??? never happened before......he been doing this sort of work for all the 23 years I been here.....and he never came home with an entire pickup bed of food to the point it was freeze/EAT it or gawn.....

mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 7:42pm   #4
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
THAT is the whole thing, they called in Chuck for a major effort, and all this goof FOOD was no need....even for FREE???

so they went to the food stores and spend the .gov checks, I suppose.....

and so the workers like Chuck brought it home to distribute the entire pickup bed full of boxes to this retirement burb

NICE, but......WTF??? never happened before......he been doing this sort of work for all the 23 years I been here.....and he never came home with an entire pickup bed of food to the point it was freeze/EAT it or gawn.....

It's possible they didn't publicize it enough, or there just wasn't that much demand for it. Like I said, no shortage of food bank free stuff here.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic