Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2013, 10:28am   #41
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 4,155 Times in 1,854 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2324642

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
On a side note, I think it will be really good for KH to get out of that car. Since day 1 he has been "The guy who replaced Dale". That has to be a damn imppossible standard to try to live up to.

Yup. ...and as I mentioned before, that goes to show just how much the number means to Childress and that team. There is no way in hell that he is just going to toss some random driver in that car. I have no doubt that Austin Dillon knows EXACTLY the magnitude of what driving that car means. His entire life has been around it.

Quote:
Dillon had already raced the No. 3 to win championships in the Nationwide Series (2013) and Camping World Truck Series (2011), saying he preferred to use the number because it honored his grandfather.
Quote:
Childress never put another driver in the car until now, preferring to save it for a member of either the Earnhardt or Childress family.
I like the fact it will be on the track again, NASCAR wasn't the same without the 3 car. They aren't putting some scrub in it, it is a kid who knows all about what the weight of that number is, and has won championships at every level he's raced.
C5SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:33am   #42
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 87.8%

Thanked 7,705 Times in 3,420 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Interesting Earnhardt story. I was at a race in Atlanta a few years ago, 2008 or so, as a guest of Red Bull and got put up in 1 of the nicer hotels. Turns out that Rusty Wallace and Chocolate Myers were down in the hotel bar getting lit the night before the race. I sat down and eventually started chatting with them. Turns out that Chocolate is a pretty emotional dude when drinking. He and Rusty went off on a bunch of hilarious Dale stories. Without a doubt, 1 of the best nights I can (somewhat) remember.

1 of the less hilarious, but more relevant stories to this thread was that when they were rebadging the 3 cars to 29 in 2001, the guys in the shop came up to the last 1 and none of them had the heart to start pulling decals from it. There was nothing special about the car specifically other than it happened to be last in line. The last time I was in the shop (2010 or so) it was actually still sitting in the exact same place, untouched among the mass of other cars being built. I think I did hear that they have since moved it to the museum.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 7:32pm   #43
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Interesting Earnhardt story. I was at a race in Atlanta a few years ago, 2008 or so, as a guest of Red Bull and got put up in 1 of the nicer hotels. Turns out that Rusty Wallace and Chocolate Myers were down in the hotel bar getting lit the night before the race. I sat down and eventually started chatting with them. Turns out that Chocolate is a pretty emotional dude when drinking. He and Rusty went off on a bunch of hilarious Dale stories. Without a doubt, 1 of the best nights I can (somewhat) remember.

1 of the less hilarious, but more relevant stories to this thread was that when they were rebadging the 3 cars to 29 in 2001, the guys in the shop came up to the last 1 and none of them had the heart to start pulling decals from it. There was nothing special about the car specifically other than it happened to be last in line. The last time I was in the shop (2010 or so) it was actually still sitting in the exact same place, untouched among the mass of other cars being built. I think I did hear that they have since moved it to the museum.
Old 12-13-2013, 7:56pm   #44
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Old 12-13-2013, 7:56pm   #45
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

My brother in law works at Dow chemicals, hopefully they bring one of the cars there, and I'll get to see it.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic