Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2020, 10:00am   #101
Strats-N-Vettes
SOME Real Barner
Activity: 8.1%

Thanked 25,339 Times in 9,150 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2034428

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3C7NIC View Post
Why you cannot get your info from MSM or news outlets with a political agenda.

People are denying that masks are effective at reducing transmission and need not be worn, I could be missing something, but I thought that was the discussion at hand here.

BTW, morning KayJune.

Some of America doesn't know that.

Then ask those: "surgeons wear masks why?"

Hi kandee XOXOXOXO
Strats-N-Vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:06am   #102
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,656 Times in 13,628 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

From a post of mine at the other place. I was quizzed about my refusal to wear a mask.

Ok, here is my logic....

Wash your hands - Was already doing this, no change
Use hand sanitizer - Was already doing this. I have it in my truck all the time, no change
Stay away from known sick people. - Common sense....been using it for decades, no change.
If you hear a sneeze in the store, go a different direction - Already did this before COVID, no change
Don't stick your fingers, or anyone else's fingers, in your mouth - Had to get used to this. I touch my face more than I ever realized. Requires no purchase, no discomfort, no infringement on my freedom.
Don't rub your eyes - Same as above.
Use a key or pen or some other object to push keypad buttons when you checkout - ONE new behavior because I can be 6 feet from a person, I can't be 6 feet from a keypad.
Use the wipes for the grocery carts - Ex wife did this all the time, I never cared. They are free, so I use them now and I throw them away withing a few seconds.

Mask - Sweaty, makes glasses fog, won't stay in place, and above all this discomfort DOES NOTHING !!
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:08am   #103
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Why don't we wear goggles?
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:10am   #104
thecornerman
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 1.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3335

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
Why don't we wear goggles?
I'm guessing that you don't believe in auto insurance either
thecornerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:10am   #105
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 61.9%

Thanked 18,558 Times in 8,199 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Ummm, come on man..... low information much.
There are a few around here who know better but they just love to troll. Not naming any names but most of them regularly fly First Class.
dvarapala is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:18am   #106
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 61.9%

Thanked 18,558 Times in 8,199 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Don't stick your fingers, or anyone else's fingers, in your mouth - Had to get used to this.
I can see how that would be tough...

dvarapala is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:18am   #107
Strats-N-Vettes
SOME Real Barner
Activity: 8.1%

Thanked 25,339 Times in 9,150 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2034428

Quote:
From a post of mine at the other place. I was quizzed about my refusal to wear a mask.

Ok, here is my logic....

Use hand sanitizer - Was already doing this. I have it in my truck all the time, no change
Stay away from known sick people. - Common sense....been using it for decades, no change.
If you hear a sneeze in the store, go a different direction - Already did this before COVID, no change
Don't stick your fingers, or anyone else's fingers, in your mouth - Had to get used to this. I touch my face more than I ever realized. Requires no purchase, no discomfort, no infringement on my freedom.
Use a key or pen or some other object to push keypad buttons when you checkout - ONE new behavior because I can be 6 feet from a person, I can't be 6 feet from a keypad.
Use the wipes for the grocery carts - Ex wife did this all the time, I never cared. They are free, so I use them now and I throw them away withing a few seconds.

Mask - Sweaty, makes glasses fog, won't stay in place, and above all this discomfort DOES NOTHING !!

That's great for you...and very logical.

The problem exists because of the general public, public places that draws large crowds (malls, stadiums, etc...), and public transportation where people are packed in buses, subways, etc... like sardines...also think subway waiting areas.

Airplanes are a toss up because they all claim to use good filtration (HEPA or True HEPA)....at altitude, it's recycled air, some claim 50/50.

Wearing a mask in your car by yourself is stupid, wearing a mask boating is stupid, etc...there are times when the mask isn't needed.

Lots of people are nasty walking petri dishes of cooties.
Mask are needed...period...common sense from normal people understand where and when.
Strats-N-Vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strats-N-Vettes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:19am   #108
C3C7NIC
Barn Stall Owner #102
Activity: 21.2%

Thanked 14,225 Times in 4,352 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23243

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
There are a few around here who know better but they just love to troll. Not naming any names but most of them regularly fly First Class.

Hopefully those that have interacted with me over the yrs. know that I can have opposing views and debate and still respect you. Many topics have a very wide grey zone.

I am head strong on a few things and feel this is one of those areas that there is not a lot of "grey".
C3C7NIC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to C3C7NIC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:19am   #109
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:

Well I am fighting both battles. Why I am leading up the LDLCT program at my hospital to preform early detection and screen for lung cancer.

It is OK to care about more than one ailment, and I DO.

I think you all do not understand that my stance comes from one of caring about people and not of a political view. I feel that many I have debated with on here are laser focused on the politics of this virus. I am not.
When I said you were caught up in the politics of it, I was not referring to the liberal/conservative politics. A more generalized definition of decision making that is not 100% health based. Politics can be as simple as rationing what doctors work where and what money is spent in what way. When there was panic, I had more trust that we were doing the right thing. As more information came out, it was clear to see that there was a grab for who could gain the most from the situation and it seems EVERYBODY got in on it with just about zero true regard for the victims/general public. As an employee, you do as you are told. Same for me. I tend to question the motives a LOT behind what I am told to do. I don't know if you do or not. Seeing the front line "may" (I am qualifying my statement with MAY) have you making assumptions that those telling you what to do are above question or scrutiny.

If I believe in what my boss is doing, I question it less, or differently, than if I don't believe in it.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:21am   #110
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 75.9%

Thanked 33,408 Times in 11,731 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecornerman View Post
Yes, they need to bring up their political views to stroke their own egos
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:22am   #111
C3C7NIC
Barn Stall Owner #102

Quote:

Ok, here is my logic....

All but the last 2 we are on the same page. I've always been a germaphobe and still am. Not much has changed.

Not gonna lie, my N95, face shield, full gown and face shield at work SUCK, but I do it. My masks I wear out and about are nothing compared to work, so they don't bother me >indoors. I would however be miserable wearing one outside in out triple digit heat, thankfully they are not mandated here (yet).
The Following User Says Thank You to C3C7NIC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:27am   #112
C3C7NIC
Barn Stall Owner #102

Quote:
When I said you were caught up in the politics of it, I was not referring to the liberal/conservative politics. A more generalized definition of decision making that is not 100% health based. Politics can be as simple as rationing what doctors work where and what money is spent in what way. When there was panic, I had more trust that we were doing the right thing. As more information came out, it was clear to see that there was a grab for who could gain the most from the situation and it seems EVERYBODY got in on it with just about zero true regard for the victims/general public. As an employee, you do as you are told. Same for me. I tend to question the motives a LOT behind what I am told to do. I don't know if you do or not. Seeing the front line "may" (I am qualifying my statement with MAY) have you making assumptions that those telling you what to do are above question or scrutiny.

If I believe in what my boss is doing, I question it less, or differently, than if I don't believe in it.
Oh, I am one to question, have done it before when I have good reason to, even at work. As a result, have been a leader in promoting change in several internal guidelines not only here, but other places I have directed.

Science is ever changing, and as this virus is new, advice, evidence and data will also be ever changing, that is why I cannot become complacent with old data and not keep up on new information. How many screamed, that like the flu this would be gone come the summer? Anyone want to eat those words now? The truth is WE (professionals) do not know the answers to it all, we are learning. The important thing is, our hearts are in the right place and not driven my ANY radical ideology, but driven by a desire to help people and protect the innocent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C3C7NIC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:35am   #113
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,508 Times in 14,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes View Post
Didja know you can actually drink liquid ice?
Shut the front door!!!!!
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:36am   #114
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
The law states I have to have insurance.

And wear a seat belt in case that was your next "go to".
Old 07-02-2020, 10:37am   #115
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
For me it's not so much denial, as it is the ever-changing goalposts and guidance from medical "experts." We were initially told by the "experts" DON'T WEAR MASKS, then we were told - by the same "experts" - WEAR MASKS ALL THE TIME. If you listen closely to what the "experts" actually say, including the CDC Director and Dr. Fauci, they use the word "believe" a lot. They believe masks help. They believe asymptomatic spread is the primary cause of the spread. They believe a lot of things, but don't seem to "know" much.

In science facts matter, beliefs not so much.
I believe I'll have another beer.
The Following User Says Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:40am   #116
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes View Post
Some of America doesn't know that.

Then ask those: "surgeons wear masks why?"
It is so that you can't identify them in court...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:42am   #117
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Oh, I am one to question, have done it before when I have good reason to, even at work. As a result, have been a leader in promoting change in several internal guidelines not only here, but other places I have directed.

Science is ever changing, and as this virus is new, advice, evidence and data will also be ever changing, that is why I cannot become complacent with old data and not keep up on new information. How many screamed, that like the flu this would be gone come the summer? Anyone want to eat those words now? The truth is WE (professionals) do not know the answers to it all, we are learning. The important thing is, our hearts are in the right place and not driven my ANY radical ideology, but driven by a desire to help people and protect the innocent.
Do you think it would be less prevalent had we not tried to flatten the curve? It might be subsided by now. We put an awful lot of capacity measures in place that were never utilized. Maybe we could have reached herd immunity by now.

I didn't really put up that much resistance until the rioting and then I decided these experts and people in charge can all kiss my ass. When I saw a video of a mom being arrested for taking her kid to a swing set, while these animals destroy entire cities and jump on cars like a scene from Planet of the Apes, all credibility is LOST. FK'M all. They are hypocritical assholes who don't give two shits about our health.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:46am   #118
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
All but the last 2 we are on the same page. I've always been a germaphobe and still am. Not much has changed.

Not gonna lie, my N95, face shield, full gown and face shield at work SUCK, but I do it. My masks I wear out and about are nothing compared to work, so they don't bother me >indoors. I would however be miserable wearing one outside in out triple digit heat, thankfully they are not mandated here (yet).
I fully understand why you would wear what you wear. You are exposed to an entirely different and HIGHLY elevated risk environment. I go back to my fire gear statement.

I am not under the same risk in Kroger. With the other behaviors I practice, I am even less at risk than most everyone else in the store.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:46am   #119
thecornerman
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 1.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3335

Quote:
The law states I have to have insurance.

And wear a seat belt in case that was your next "go to".
That would be a "NO"
thecornerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thecornerman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:50am   #120
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote: