Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2013, 7:46pm   #41
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 27.0%

Thanked 33,861 Times in 12,340 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleBen View Post
If we go with this smaller venue then it brings us back to holding multiple smaller events scattered throughout the country.
Regional events are a possibility. The first ever CF "Regional" Cruise-In drew 80 Corvettes.

If you're interested in a regional CI; check out my report on CF:
http://www.corvetteforum.com/howto/index.htm

But, for next year... maybe just a different 3 day weekend at BG will help out many ???
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 8:15pm   #42
Black94lt1
Barn Stall Owner #13
Barn Raising II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,956 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $425244

The location and date work for us (8 hour drive and no family activities) but I can see the desire to move the date and location. We've been going for 5 years now, CI10, 11, 12, and BR2 and 3 and I think we have done about everything there is to do in the area; although, there is always more to see and do in Nashville.

I like Marcus' idea of a longer trip with a stay somewhere, for those of us not from the area, Nashville could be a destination like that if it stayed in BG. Meet in BG and head to Nashville for the day/night, do what you want, or have some set activities, and come back the following day.
Black94lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black94lt1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 8:48pm   #43
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Activity: 3.2%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,127 Times in 5,356 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe View Post
I would be up for Vegas.
Not sure how many people would drive (we would fly unless we decided to make a full week trip) Probably have a much higher percentage of fly ins but I know we could still have a ton of fun
The good thing about Vegas is that, even if one flies into Vegas, you don't need a rental car. Even if (for example) a Hoover Dam tour was planned, there are companies that can provide transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleBen View Post
If we go with this smaller venue then it brings us back to holding multiple smaller events scattered throughout the country.

I'd still like to see the national event in a more central location, though. I don't want to be stuck always hanging out regionally with these crazy California mofos all the time.
NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:04pm   #44
87 Ragtop
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 0.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $992590

For Nostalgic reasons, I'd love to see it stay in BG. The Memorial Day weekend is great for me because like others have mentioned, having Monday to recover before getting back to reality is great. Not many places will let a group take up their parking spots to sit around and drink and barbeque in like the Hampton has.

Plus at the autox they mentioned that they couldn't wait till next year so they could do the autox at the motosports park vs Die Cast tool and die or whatever it calls. If the motorsports park is open next year, that will definately be something new to see and do that we all will enjoy

Like I mentioned in the other thread, this event between the CI's and Barn Raisings have been a big part of our lives over the past 10+ years. I have enjoyed them all and ultimately the people are the reason I have always enjoyed them. I hope the tradition does continue and would do my best to attend the event whenever and where ever possible.
87 Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 87 Ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 10:32pm   #45
JMS32935
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8

How hard would it be to find another hotel that would let us take-over part of the parking lot, like we do ?? And, how many places would allow us to have an unsupervised beer truck ??... Has anyone gone to setups like this anywhere else ??

Anywhere else, I think we'd just about have to own the hotel to get permission for what we do. The tolerance that the Hampton shows us is special, and creating that combination of things anywhere else would be a challenge. But, we have been there a Long time. So, how Could we do those things at any other place, without driving costs up for things like bartenders and conference-room rentals ??

Maybe we should settle for weekend parties at someone's house. Somebody with a big house and lots of space for guest parking. Do we even have anyone who could do that ??

JMS32935 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JMS32935 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 10:42pm   #46
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 33,024 Times in 14,164 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

15 acres

Parking for about 30 cars (first in, last out), but very little water. Porta potties?

Would have to do some serious discussion with Mrs. DAB.

2 nearby camp grounds. Downtown 20 min away.

L-R: shop, main house, guesthouse and garage.

Last edited by DAB; 05-26-2013 at 10:48pm. Reason: Added pic.
DAB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 11:48pm   #47
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Activity: 3.2%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,127 Times in 5,356 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
15 acres

Parking for about 30 cars (first in, last out), but very little water. Porta potties?

Would have to do some serious discussion with Mrs. DAB.

2 nearby camp grounds. Downtown 20 min away.

L-R: shop, main house, guesthouse and garage.
Not a bad idea, assuming Mrs. Dab was in agreement. There are plenty of people here that would help out.

Looks like there are quite a few activities in the area:

Things to do in Santa Fe

The first 'unofficial' Barn Raising at IC's (four years ago?), he had a big BBQ at his house that took up the entire day/evening. The other days, everyone kind of met up and did activities in various groups.

I think the majority of people stayed at one specific hotel. I'm sure that some research could turn up a hotel in Santa Fe that was nice, but not too expensive. They may even be willing to extend a group discount, if we asked.

The downside is that I don't think we will find any hotel that is as accomodating as the BG Hampton. There would be no beer trailer or parking lot activites. Evening activities would have to be at a restaurant, then maybe (thowing out examples) going to see a live band, hit up a low-key blues club or a karaoke place, etc. The activities would just have to be planned somewhere other than the hotel.

Also, as a side note, there are A LOT of Texas folks that drive to BG. The drive time to Santa Fe, NM from Dallas (for example) is even shorter than to BG.

Anyhow, it's just food for thought. I'm not opposed to regional events. But there are just some people that will never be able to attend a national Barn Raising (and have the opportunity to see everyone) if it's continuously held on the eastern side of the country. They'll always have to settle for a regional event. If we alternate regions from year-to-year, or even every few years, I think that's reasonable. If we have a change in venue, scenery and a change up in activities...I think it will keep Barn Raising fresh and interesting.

Last edited by NEED-A-VETTE; 05-27-2013 at 12:28am. Reason: spelling
NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEED-A-VETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 5:33am   #48
Olustee bus
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 3,198 Times in 1,783 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1232517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Demon View Post
Maybe there could be 4-6 regional Barn Raisin's at various times and regions throughout the year depending on the climate and other conditions for those regions. These would be convienient to everyone in that region of the country and then maybe a national gathering somewhere in the middle of the country in the fall to top it all off.
Yeah, kinda like a playoff with a championship at the end.
Olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 7:35am   #49
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:
Originally Posted by boracayjohnny View Post

Some folks may not come back and there may be a divorce or two.
Ya think?

island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 8:05am   #50
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 33,024 Times in 14,164 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Not sure I could pull off such a gathering, but if you are passing thru, drop me a line.
DAB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 9:28am   #51
Shrike6
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 1,731 Times in 902 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $619461

Another Barn Raising in the record books!
Now, the planning starts for next year.
I'd like to give my opinion and observations, without any personal digs or intentionally slighting anyone anywhere in the USA.
We are all members of 'Vette Barn, with a special interest in Corvettes.
While there are many great places across the country we could meet and party, there are many good reasons to stick with BG.
Nowhere else is there is a Corvette factory, which will be open for tours again next year and the new C7 to boot! The Motorsports park may be partially open next year. The NCM can be very helpful if there is enough interest. Nowhere else will we find as accommodating a hotel venue for our activities. There are nice drivers roads to do tours, poker runs, whatever.
Nashville is fairly nearby, with an airport and many things to see and do.
Yes, BG IS not easily reachable for some by car, but it didn't stop Cruise ins from getting a couple hundred cars out for years. Some of us drive hundreds of miles in a day ( 697 for GentleBen and me yesterday!).
A three day weekend makes it better for that, too.
I fail to see why, after years of very successful Cruise Ins, we can't get a decent turnout under the same conditions anymore. If we can line up enough interesting activities, and have registration early enough to allow sufficient advance planning, there is no real reason why it can't be as successful as before.
Not trying to step on any toes here, but if we can't agree that the BR is important enough to do well, what is the point of all the half measures?
I don't love the 11 hour drive there and back, but if the BR can be like past Cruise Ins, it's worth it. I would also be willing to fly anywhere else in the US where we can stage a big whoop de do. But, if we can't get more than 30-40 people, and a bare minimum of activities, screw it.
Again, I'm not trying to slight anyone here, but it seems that there are more people that could participate if they really wanted to get together with their Barn buddies.
Shrike6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shrike6 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 9:30am   #52
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 4,155 Times in 1,854 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2324642

C5SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:42am   #53
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 Ragtop View Post
For Nostalgic reasons, I'd love to see it stay in BG.
Quote:
The (holiday) weekend is great for me because like others have mentioned, having Monday to recover before getting back to reality is great.

And, I think many who haven't been able to attend (that have posted reasons why) have mentioned the culprit was the particular weekend.

Quote:
Not many places will let a group take up their parking spots to sit around and drink and barbeque in like the Hampton has.
that's certainly something to consider. I know the Hampton in BG has quite a few Corvette groups staying there over the year.... so they are used-to what goes on. I don't know of any other hotel that would allow a beer trailer on the premisis.

Also consider the wonderful Dixie food, and it's convenience. If we were to stay at a hotel that has it's own internal restaurant.... we might not be allowed to serve/sell food out in the parking lot.

Tradition is best altered one step at a time.

I really think a good first-step would be to move the BR to a different weekend (at Bowling Green) ... and encourage regional BR's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 3:18pm   #54
mph1972
Barn Raising III
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post

And, I think many who haven't been able to attend (that have posted reasons why) have mentioned the culprit was the particular weekend.

that's certainly something to consider. I know the Hampton in BG has quite a few Corvette groups staying there over the year.... so they are used-to what goes on. I don't know of any other hotel that would allow a beer trailer on the premisis.

Also consider the wonderful Dixie food, and it's convenience. If we were to stay at a hotel that has it's own internal restaurant.... we might not be allowed to serve/sell food out in the parking lot.

Tradition is best altered one step at a time.

I really think a good first-step would be to move the BR to a different weekend (at Bowling Green) ... and encourage regional BR's.
Great points. This being my first official BR event I had a good time and didn't know many of you. Reasons for not being at precious two...deployed. Something the Navy had me do prior to retirement. Yeah-yeah, I agree; it sucked. lol

I, myself love the drive to Bowling Green (it is roughly 10 hours for me) and see more of the area and enjoy the multiple things that Bowling Green has to offer. Now, that being said, I have not been going every year other the course of the CIs and BRs like most and can understand why the location has been a topic for change. I was talking with Chris and I believe Liz and Kym may have overheard during our ride back from the Indy 500 and we both agreed that if the location was to be moved, BG should always been in the cycle for a venue to return every couple of years. Maybe find five locations (to include BG) and cycle through the locations. For Example, if the locations were BG, New Orleans, South Florida (Miami or something), Indianapolis, Houston. You keep these locations and just rotate them like a clock. I personally have nothing against those on the West Coast, NorWest or New England area, but I think these areas seem to be we're the majority of folks are coming from. Myrtle Beach or Charleston would even be nice. Aaaaa lot to do in Mrytle Beach! Val...Golf!!!

I really enjoyed my first Cruise In, which was #7 and had a great time this BR event! So, seeing it grow would be awesome! I do believe that a three day weekend is the route to go also, seems to give everyone that added day of catching up or resting. I would be for a cruise to Nashville and seeing what that has to offer, maybe The Asheville area, close to the Tail of the Dragon and other sceneic drives! I love Eastern TN, so Bristol or Knoxville would be fun. Now that I am retired and have more flexibility with where I work I really want to try and be more involved with you all, but as So many have stated, plan earlier, and try and bring more attention to how awesome I am, we will get more people there.
mph1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 3:55pm   #55
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph1972 View Post
I do believe that a three day weekend is the route to go also, seems to give everyone that added day of catching up or resting.
Old 05-27-2013, 7:24pm   #56
navyndi2
Barn Stall Owner #11
Barn Raising I,II,III
NCM Supporter '11
Activity: 0.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1011172

We like to go to BG, it's our time away from the family weekend with a bit of recovery. I'm open to new locations, I like TX or Vegas it's just a little bit more time on the road. The day is tough, trying to find a three day weekend when people can get away is tough. Either way we will find a way to make it.
navyndi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16pm   #57
BuckyThreadkiller
Barn Stall Owner #12
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,065 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $168047

Veags is appealing. Maybe do something with Spring Mountain?

Why not piggyback it on another event? The Bash in BG, The Lone Star Classic in Fort Worth is great. Vettes on the Rockies or the Black Hills Classic?
BuckyThreadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 4:08am   #58
mph1972
Barn Raising III
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $889

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller View Post
Veags is appealing. Maybe do something with Spring Mountain?

Why not piggyback it on another event? The Bash in BG, The Lone Star Classic in Fort Worth is great. Vettes on the Rockies or the Black Hills Classic?
mph1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 8:00am   #59
onedef92
Vette Barn Deacon
Barn Raising II

Thanked 9,190 Times in 4,542 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $21169452

No problem with the location or logistics in getting there. Granted, I'm only about 1.5 hours from BG from the get go.

I always enjoy the Cruise-In events, even though we weren't able to swing it this year. Seeing the museuem attractions, pigging out on some delicious barbecue and other grub, but the main reason is peepin' out all the wonderful friends I've made here.
onedef92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 8:03am   #60
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedef92 View Post
No problem with the location or logistics in getting there. Granted, I'm only about 1.5 hours from BG from the get go.

I always enjoy the Cruise-In events, even though we weren't able to swing it this year. Seeing the museuem attractions, pigging out on some delicious barbecue and other grub, but the main reason is peepin' out all the wonderful friends I've made here.

That would also be a good reason to go, but I would prolly just go for the SMACK!

island14 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic