Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2021, 8:30am   #1
C3C7NIC
Barn Stall Owner #102
Activity: 36.3%

Thanked 14,127 Times in 4,306 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23243
Default >>>>People suck RANT!!!!<<<<

People ask ALL the time why hubs and I do not "Pay the guy"

The instances where "paying the guy" resulted in more problems than resolutions, is too frequent to count.

Starting to wonder if I have been jinxed by some distant cousin of S~N~V

As any of you that have known me for some time, know I am dealing with the restoration of a 68 vette as well as a 68 Jag XK-E E type convertible that my father was in the final stages of a concours restoration.

My father was a journeyman machinist prior to retirement, and was helping a buddy of his work in his Mustang Shelby/cobra restoration specialty shop (without pay). My dad "worked" there for over 15 years. His "friend" and shop owner had an agreement that in trade for FREE labor and my father using his machinist skills to fabricate parts etc, he would help with the concours restoration of the Jag. Needless to say, my Dad did 99% of the work on his own car without any help, and spend most of his time helping with cars coming into the shop. Some of these cars were extremely rare and a few sold for millions at Barrett-Jackson.

So.... on my fathers death bed, my dad spoke to the shop owner and made him "promise" he would finish the last of the restoration so that I could show the car as my father had dreamed of.

It has been 5 years since my father passed. The wife of the shop owner is a friend of the family. She has constantly said that they will get to the jag in a couple of weeks, after they move a current car out. Well this was the story for the entire time my Dad was there: "your car is NEXT!

Well, a month ago, she called and said her husband got fired from his 35 year career as a shelter insurance agent, due to a sexual harassment accusation by his secretary, and they are not able to do the car because he needs to do other work for pay.

To say I am so fuggin DONE with lying people is an understatement. People of honest character are a rare breed in todays society. Everything from simple home projects, to these auto restoration projects become a cat a mouse game of lies/promises and dead ends. When I tell someone something, I am a person of my word, and I expect the same from others. SO disappointed that integrity/ethics seems to be extinct in the majority of people!!!!

RANT OVER....... fug people.
C3C7NIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 8:40am   #2
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 69.4%

Thanked 33,104 Times in 11,602 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Damn, that sucks! Hasn't it been glaringly obvious for years now that they had no intention of actually finishing the car, and were just stringing you along with one excuse after another?

Yeah, it's time to get it out of there and have it finished somewhere else, even if you have to "pay the guy."

Good luck.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 8:53am   #3
Strats-N-Vettes
SOME Real Barner
Activity: 8.1%

Thanked 25,339 Times in 9,150 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2034428

Terrible news kandee.
I don't think the vette will get much better treatment sorry to say.
Strats-N-Vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 8:55am   #4
RMVette
A Real Barner
Activity: 39.6%

Thanked 21,732 Times in 9,108 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $311064

I understand and have had some of the same issues through the years as you but not to your extreme. You can definitely call if you need a shoulder to rant on.
RMVette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RMVette For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 9:06am   #5
MadInNc
Barn Stall Owner #103
Activity: 45.7%

Thanked 31,301 Times in 10,834 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108939

I was going to ask ya about the jag, sorry to hear this.....
MadInNc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MadInNc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 9:40am   #6
C3C7NIC
Barn Stall Owner #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Damn, that sucks! Hasn't it been glaringly obvious for years now that they had no intention of actually finishing the car, and were just stringing you along with one excuse after another?

Yeah, it's time to get it out of there and have it finished somewhere else, even if you have to "pay the guy."

Good luck.

That's the MOST frustrating part, I have "paid the guy" here in OKC to do the suspension, engine transmission and exhaust on the vette, ALL of that had errors, so when it got to the new guy (I also paid) he had to fix that in addition to doing the paint/interior/new vert top. And yes, I ALWAYS did my research, talked to previous customers, read online reviews etc.... and still got fugged over.

In defense of the vette, at least the work that HAS been done by the current guy is top notch, just taking an eternity to complete.

The Jag........ a whole other story. The guy needs a few of his teeth realigned as he is a lying asshat that used my father for years and lied to him on his death bed > was even a pallbearer at his funeral. If I wasn't afraid of being arrested, I would punch his front teeth out myself.

If only I had the knowledge and shop space to do the work myself, but I don't! There are way bigger problems to be had, I don't mean to sounds like a whiny biotch, but I am so pissed off right now that so many people have fugged me over, probably because I have tits and a vag.

If I were the type of individual to fuq people over, I would probably not be so angry, but I have done right by everyone I have ever dealt with and don't feel like any of this is deserved. Maybe chit karma from a prior life that was lived wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C3C7NIC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 9:44am   #7
C3C7NIC
Barn Stall Owner #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadInNc View Post
I was going to ask ya about the jag, sorry to hear this.....
Is it just chit luck or am I a total idiot?
The Following User Says Thank You to C3C7NIC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 9:46am   #8
Egnalf
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.0%

Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,332 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $18284

I live life by a simple rule. I judge others simply on how they treat me. When they treat me poorly, I move on. It allows me to keep good people around, and get rid of idiots quickly enough.

sorry about the problems you are having, its painful I know. Stooping to their level gains you nothing. Cut ties and move on, but never forget. When they come begging, wondering what happened to you, give them a piece of your mind, but not now.

Sometimes paying the guy is beneficial, sometimes not so much. These days, finding quality mechanics is tough. Keeping them is expensive. always remember, you can have two of the following: good, fast, cheap.
Egnalf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Egnalf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 9:51am   #9
Raazor
2020 Election Expert
Activity: 14.0%

Location: Big Sky Country... Where the men are men, the sheep are nervous, and the winters are LOOONG!!!
Thanked 19,522 Times in 7,258 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1134156

pics of secretary
Raazor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raazor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 9:51am   #10
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 33,382 Times in 13,464 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

I fully sympathize. I know any project will be fkd up so I may as well be the one to do it and know where the issues are. I have called "the guy" numerous times and aside from ONE transmission shop that I had a good experience with, every "guy" was either clueless, robbing me, or lying about the project cost or outcome.

Yes, people suck, but people that take your money suck even more.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 9:52am   #11
Raazor
2020 Election Expert

Location: Big Sky Country... Where the men are men, the sheep are nervous, and the winters are LOOONG!!!

call the "other" guy

/thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Raazor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 9:56am   #12
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raazor View Post
call the "other" guy

/thread
Other guy story...My parents got ROBBED by a mechanic and I searched all of Houston and found a shop that claimed to specialize in what their car issue was. After the car was there a week, I come to find out the two shop owners are close friends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 9:59am   #13
Raazor
2020 Election Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
Other guy story...My parents got ROBBED by a mechanic and I searched all of Houston and found a shop that claimed to specialize in what their car issue was. After the car was there a week, I come to find out the two shop owners are close friends.

I remember those escapades. Without 'bad' luck, your crew wouldn't have any luck at all!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raazor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 10:24am   #14
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 62.9%

Thanked 23,715 Times in 9,800 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

Unfortunately piss poor service, lies and bad work are par for the course especially when restoring vehicles.
I wish you luck and if I could help I would but I do not have concourse level skills.
My uncle ran body shops for decades and he did 99% of the work(all of the painting). He'd flat out turn work down instead of spewing lies of it'll be done on a week. He'd farm some mechanical work out but of they didn't keep to schedule or boned him he'd go get the stuff and take someplace else.
I haven't called the guy to do anything for me in 15 plus years(closer to 20) now.
A temp electric setup was the last thing I laid someone to do besides tire balancing and alignments.
Good luck Nicole and hope you get the cars back.
Don't let the asshats of the world bring you down you're a better person than they are.
Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 10:26am   #15
thecornerman
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 1.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3335

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3C7NIC View Post
Been there more then once
One was an engine rebuild machine shop, I designed and maintained their business website and they were to trade that for machine work on the wifes 302. I got an email one day saying that they were closing the doors in 1 month, oh-shit I need to get everything done! All I got was my set of rods done

We won't talk about her stang but getting painted

Sorry to hear about your experience
thecornerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:33am   #16
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 39.9%

Thanked 18,434 Times in 8,123 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

People are lazy assholes, and with few exceptions you need to micromanage them to get them to do their jobs.

Sad but true.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 10:39am   #17
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
Unfortunately piss poor service, lies and bad work are par for the course especially when restoring vehicles.
I wish you luck and if I could help I would but I do not have concourse level skills.
My uncle ran body shops for decades and he did 99% of the work(all of the painting). He'd flat out turn work down instead of spewing lies of it'll be done on a week. He'd farm some mechanical work out but of they didn't keep to schedule or boned him he'd go get the stuff and take someplace else.
I haven't called the guy to do anything for me in 15 plus years(closer to 20) now.
A temp electric setup was the last thing I laid someone to do besides tire balancing and alignments.
Good luck Nicole and hope you get the cars back.
Don't let the asshats of the world bring you down you're a better person than they are.
Maybe they would have rather had cash?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 10:39am   #18
Loco Vette
Barn Stall Owner #54
Barn Raising II,III

Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 5.8%

Thanked 6,904 Times in 2,607 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6027980

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3C7NIC View Post

The instances where "paying the guy" resulted in more problems than resolutions, is too frequent to count.

Starting to wonder if I have been jinxed by some distant cousin of S~N~V

As any of you that have known me for some time, know I am dealing with the restoration of a 68 vette as well as a 68 Jag XK-E E type convertible that my father was in the final stages of a concours restoration.

My father was a journeyman machinist prior to retirement, and was helping a buddy of his work in his Mustang Shelby/cobra restoration specialty shop (without pay). My dad "worked" there for over 15 years. His "friend" and shop owner had an agreement that in trade for FREE labor and my father using his machinist skills to fabricate parts etc, he would help with the concours restoration of the Jag. Needless to say, my Dad did 99% of the work on his own car without any help, and spend most of his time helping with cars coming into the shop. Some of these cars were extremely rare and a few sold for millions at Barrett-Jackson.

So.... on my fathers death bed, my dad spoke to the shop owner and made him "promise" he would finish the last of the restoration so that I could show the car as my father had dreamed of.

It has been 5 years since my father passed. The wife of the shop owner is a friend of the family. She has constantly said that they will get to the jag in a couple of weeks, after they move a current car out. Well this was the story for the entire time my Dad was there: "your car is NEXT!

Well, a month ago, she called and said her husband got fired from his 35 year career as a shelter insurance agent, due to a sexual harassment accusation by his secretary, and they are not able to do the car because he needs to do other work for pay.

To say I am so fuggin DONE with lying people is an understatement. People of honest character are a rare breed in todays society. Everything from simple home projects, to these auto restoration projects become a cat a mouse game of lies/promises and dead ends. When I tell someone something, I am a person of my word, and I expect the same from others. SO disappointed that integrity/ethics seems to be extinct in the majority of people!!!!

RANT OVER....... fug people.
People are the #1 source of problems in the world.
Loco Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loco Vette For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 10:41am   #19
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
People are lazy assholes, and with few exceptions you need to micromanage them to get them to do their jobs.

Sad but true.
You were supposed to post this 3 minutes earlier. Do I need to set reminders for you? The forum moves fast and you're falling behind. If this is too much for you we can find someone to post in your place. Have you posted in that other thread yet? Do you plan to?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 11:08am   #20
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 39.9%

Thanked 18,434 Times in 8,123 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
You were supposed to post this 3 minutes earlier. Do I need to set reminders for you?
Ees no mi yob. You're not paying me to keep up with the forum, so chupa mi verga.

dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic