Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2021, 8:46am   #21
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.4%

Thanked 41,077 Times in 17,080 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan47 View Post
“We also got tax cuts, the largest tax cut and reform in the history of our country, by far.”

“This is Trump’s second favorite falsehood, and his remarks at his departure ceremony at Andrews Air Force base marks the 296th time he said it. Even before Trump’s tax cut was crafted, he promised it would be the biggest in U.S. history – bigger than Ronald Reagan’s 1981 tax cut. Reagan’s tax cut amounted to 2.9 percent of the gross domestic product and none of the proposals under consideration came close to that level. Yet Trump persisted in this fiction even when the tax cut was eventually crafted to be the equivalent of 0.9 percent of GDP, making it the eighth largest tax cut in 100 years.“

Above is an example of the economic nonsense we are fed by both major parties and almost all politicians, including Trump and his administration. It is impossible to “cut taxes” and grow government. No such thing as a free lunch. What Trump, Reagan and any other politician did that didn’t reduce the size and ergo cost of government, was shift taxes.

I actually agree with you and don’t trust Trump but the link you posted is full of half truths and outright lies. I don’t think Trump did, I don’t even think he tried to do what he said he was going to do, “drain the swamp”.

Among other things, the most obvious sign of swamp drainage would be smaller government. Trump made government bigger, deficits bigger, public debt bigger and with his demands for more monetary debasement, left us with an even bigger economic mess... And he called the Clinton’s “good people”. WTF?

The root problem isn’t Trump or any other politician, it’s the corrupt fiat dollar. Until we find a way back to sound money, we will continue to see our nation and people suffer third world, banana republic problems.
I'm a big Trump fan, but I more or less agree with the substantive points of your post. Trump did fail to drain the swamp, and that was really his undoing. The institutional state fought him every step of the way, and in the end, they beat him. In fairness, I don't think any of us, even Trump, anticipated the level of hatred and vitriol he would encounter. He truly believed that institutional players would recognize that he was actually serious about being pro-America, and that his populist message would win over federal workers and others. That turned out not to be true, with maybe only the Border Patrol excepted. The rest, including the military higher echelon, did everything they could to resist his policies. His successes were IN SPITE OF the institutional state, not done in cooperation with them.

Profligate spending was also an issue, which seems to be an issue for everyone now.
bill_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bill_daniels For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 8:57am   #22
Strats-N-Vettes
SOME Real Barner
Activity: 8.1%

Thanked 25,339 Times in 9,150 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2034428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
Judging everyone the same due to race, relegion, sex, political affiliation or whatever is narrow minded. I judge people on their actions as I wish to be judged.

Truth.
I have a friend on this forum that has a D by their name.
But he isn't destroying anything but alcohol, one glass at a time.
Strats-N-Vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strats-N-Vettes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 9:04am   #23
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106
Activity: 43.2%

Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,648 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
I'm a big Trump fan, but I more or less agree with the substantive points of your post. Trump did fail to drain the swamp, and that was really his undoing. The institutional state fought him every step of the way, and in the end, they beat him. In fairness, I don't think any of us, even Trump, anticipated the level of hatred and vitriol he would encounter. He truly believed that institutional players would recognize that he was actually serious about being pro-America, and that his populist message would win over federal workers and others. That turned out not to be true, with maybe only the Border Patrol excepted. The rest, including the military higher echelon, did everything they could to resist his policies. His successes were IN SPITE OF the institutional state, not done in cooperation with them.

Profligate spending was also an issue, which seems to be an issue for everyone now.
Agreed.

I think we are coming to a head with the current dollar system. Fake pandemics and MMT are making “inflation” hard to ignore by what’s left of the middle class. Historically, that has and should create the pain needed to get more folks looking outside politics for a solution.

Eventually, money or a lack thereof will go mainstream, as it has in every other experiment with bad money.

Then we can get serious about MAGA, IMO.
Dan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan47 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 9:18am   #24
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106

FTR. Any politician including Trump, would be painted as a madman by the media and bureaucracy for intentionally draining the swamp.

The swamp is a gigantic credit bubble our entire civilization has grown dependent on. There is simply no way to avoid an incredibly painful deleveraging. I suspect the can will be kicked until a “pandemic” and subsequent currency crisis can be blamed for the destruction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan47 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 10:34am   #25
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,656 Times in 11,659 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

You know what I see with all the bullshit going on, the attacks on the USA from the left and the RINOs? I see the ABSOLUTE need for term limits on all elected positions even down to the local level.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 10:41am   #26
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
You know what I see with all the bullshit going on, the attacks on the USA from the left and the RINOs? I see the ABSOLUTE need for term limits on all elected positions even down to the local level.
Sure but you have to get the people making the laws to limit their own power. Not going to happen, there is no political solution. Crisis is inevitable and we need a population aware of the power inherent in the monetary system, otherwise we are sure to get something worse on the other side.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:42am   #27
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 61.2%

Thanked 23,724 Times in 9,806 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
Absolutely term limits on every elected office and for that matter all the way to the Supreme Court. Nothing good comes from not having them nor lifetime appointments IMO.
Rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 10:49am   #28
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,656 Times in 11,659 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan47 View Post
Sure but you have to get the people making the laws to limit their own power. Not going to happen, there is no political solution. Crisis is inevitable and we need a population aware of the power inherent in the monetary system, otherwise we are sure to get something worse on the other side.
Convention of the states. Keep more of this KungFlu mask mandate and other bullshit up and it'll be easier to make that a reality.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 10:53am   #29
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.4%

Thanked 41,077 Times in 17,080 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

bill_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bill_daniels For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 12:08pm   #30
JetMechZ16
A Real Barner
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 9,866 Times in 3,759 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $856744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes View Post
Truth.
I have a friend on this forum that has a D by their name.
But he isn't destroying anything but alcohol, one glass at a time.
and Red Lobster dumpsters.
JetMechZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 1:15pm   #31
Dan47
Barn Stall Owner #106

Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dan47 For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic