Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2015, 3:52pm   #1
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 97.1%

Thanked 41,289 Times in 17,169 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492
Default Aye Carumba: Univision Drops Miss USA Contest, Upset About Remarks by Trump

Quote:
Univision dropping Miss USA pageant over Donald Trump comments

AP
Updated 1 hr 15 mins ago

NEW YORK --
Univision is dropping the Miss USA pageant and says it will cut all business ties with Donald Trump in a spiraling controversy over comments the Republican presidential candidate made recently about Mexican immigrants.

The company said Thursday it would pull the plug on its Spanish-language coverage of the pageant July 12 by its UniMas network. It also has severed its business relationship with the Miss Universe Organization, which produces the Miss USA pageant, due to what it called "insulting remarks about Mexican immigrants" by Trump, a part owner of Miss Universe.

During his presidential campaign kickoff speech last week, Trump accused Latino immigrants of bringing drugs, crime and rapists to the U.S. He called for building a wall along the southern border of the U.S.

In an interview Thursday, Trump said his criticism was directed against U.S. policymakers, not the Mexican people or government, adding that Univision would be defaulting on its contract if it doesn't air the pageant and he would take legal action.

"At Univision, we see firsthand the work ethic, love for family, strong religious values and the important role Mexican immigrants and Mexican-Americans have had and will continue to have in building the future of our country," said the New York-based Univision Communications Inc.

Both cohosts also pulled out of the show Thursday, while Colombian singer J Balvin on Wednesday canceled a planned performance on the pageant.

NBC is scheduled to go forward with its own airing of the pageant, as it has done since 2003.

Trump said Univision is submitting to pressure from Mexican leaders to punish him for positions he voices as a candidate on the campaign trail.

"They don't want me saying that Mexico is killing the United States in trade and killing the United States at the border," Trump said. "Univision is totally laying down for the Mexican government. ... They want to silence Donald Trump. And Donald Trump can't be silenced. ... I have great respect for Mexico and I love the Mexican people, but my loyalty is to the United States."

Univision declined to comment on Trump's remarks.

In severing her ties with the show, Puerto Rican actress Roselyn Sanchez, one of the two cohosts, cited Trump's comments.

"Since I heard Trump's speech, as a Latina I felt a lump in my stomach. 'It's got to be a joke,' I thought," the star of the Lifetime series "Devious Maids" told The Associated Press.

Also on Thursday, Chilean actor-producer Cristin de la Fuente, the show's other cohost, had strong words for Trump. "It's a shame that such an important institution as Miss USA is now in the hands of a clown."

Ricky Martin also took to Twitter to blast Trump.

"A lot of hatred and ignorance in his heart," he tweeted.

On Wednesday, Colombian singer J Balvin canceled a planned performance that was to have aired on both UniMas' and NBC's telecasts.

A spokesman for Balvin said in a written statement that the singer's management told the Miss Universe organization to withdraw his name from an announcement about participants in the Miss USA program.

This year's UniMas telecast would have been the first in a five-year contract that Trump said "has no termination rights." Univision's wholly owned Spanish-language UniMas network, founded in 2013, is available in 70 million U.S. homes.
Univision dropping Miss USA pageant over Donald Trump comments | abc13.com

I wonder if Univision will also be dropping Mexican soccer games, to protest Mexico's deportation of Guatamalans and other Central American "immigrants" to Mexico?
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 4:05pm   #2
CP
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19527

Nicholson was right: "They can't handle the truth!"
CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 4:17pm   #3
Kerrmudgeon
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 18,411 Times in 8,713 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4614507

His mouth is going to get him nothing but animosity and laughter, take your pick which!

What a way to waste millions if not a billion dollars. He could have just given it to me instead.

I wonder if in his mind he thinks there's any hope in hell that the people will elect him?
Kerrmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 5:04pm   #4
boracayjohnny
A Real Barner
Activity: 28.6%

Location: Out back of Victory Over America Palace, Baghdad while throwing chicken bones.
Thanked 8,051 Times in 3,902 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1317070

Aww, I'm just all broke up about Univision dropping out. There's more than just one thing at work here. Mexicans upset about getting some smack laid on them. Trump and his Empire State Building sized ego poked fun at. And last but not least, will there ever be someone else to sponsor a vanity contest that, overall, means nothing to most people?
boracayjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic