Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2024, 11:45am   #161
erickpl
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $111433

I guess I'm in an odd camp.

I have a Jeep and a Ram truck. Gas powered. LOVE EM. Ram is our tow vehicle and Home Depot/Costco car for the bigger loads. When we were down to just those two, I was filling up the Ram every week. That got expensive.

We had my wife's car we got rid of (dealer offered us a good chunk of $$ to buy it back early in COVID and we weren't driving), so we had that we were sitting on.

She wanted an EV for a few reasons. 1) Performance. She wanted good/great acceleration. 2) Not adding pollution while driving.

Yes, she knows that electricity comes from a variety of sources: oil, coal, gas, nuclear, hydro, solar so there's that, as well as the mining of minerals. So in that respect, EV's are not as environmentally friendly as claims say. But, she was not wanting to spit stuff out a tailpipe while driving, and that is a valid point, especially in cities.

EV's do not create the pollution while in operation that ICE vehicles do, and the amount of added pollution from the power plants is no greater than running a dryer load of laundry for the week (on a level 2 charger at home). The fast, level 3 chargers are more of an issue with power requirements, but they don't get the amount of use that level 2 chargers get - they just get the most publicity and have the bigger target on them.

My Jeep has a specific use: offroad and as a toy (and for severe/bad weather conditions).
My Ram has a specific use: hauling our travel trailer and big loads around town (and the occasional long trip, depending on what we're doing/where we're going).
The EV handles our long trips, around town driving, and is a lot of fun as well. And

Sure, the EV requires the planning of the charging stations, but we're okay with that. If we have to be somewhere, absolutely by a certain time, we take the truck.

I will not say EV's are THE answer. They're absolutely not. But, they are AN answer for some people. Just as the horseless carriage wasn't for everybody, it met a need for others and it grew. Infrastructure grew for it, despite the weaknesses at that time. Things got better. EV's are in a similar situation.

I'd love to see other options where ICE engines get even better with reduced to no emissions (hybrids are an example) yet help with performance as well.

I won't bash on ICE cars because I believe in, and love them. I won't bash on EV's because I think they have a role, believe in them, and love them too. I think innovations from one can help the other.

But I tend to be a moderate and try to see both sides of an issue.

We traded in our first EV, a Kia EV6, and got an insane deal on a Mercedes EQE that put it on par with the cost of the EV6. Longer range, more features she wanted, and put her back in the brand that she enjoys driving (other than BMW). She clears a great salary, so no worries. She's happy. To me, that's what matters.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:56am   #162
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,658 Times in 3,764 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
lol….. they’re everywhere here and we have -25c lows and -18 highs currently and it’s going to be colder
It works the other way, too. Last July I was towing a trailer with my '05 Tundra from Las Vegas NV to the SF Bay Area and about 65 miles east of Baker, an EV was holding up traffic.....he had his emergency flashers on, all 4 windows down and was going 40-45 mph in a 70 zone. It was 111 degrees F outside. We blew on by at the speed limit with the windows up and the AC freezing us out.

No way he made it to Barstow or Baker, and if he did, it was a guaranteed 8 hour charge to move on. Batteries don't like running AC and high cruise speeds for realistic time frames (several hours in a row) when it's hot out.
GTOguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:22pm   #163
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117
Activity: 76.3%

Thanked 10,783 Times in 3,957 Posts

There's a whole stack of them up in Chicago that you could probably pick up cheap if you had a flatbed.
Tikiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:48pm   #164
The_Dude
Barn Stall Owner #113
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 29.9%

Thanked 17,027 Times in 6,946 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $306898

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post

I have a Jeep and a Ram truck. Gas powered. LOVE EM. Ram is our tow vehicle and Home Depot/Costco car for the bigger loads. When we were down to just those two, I was filling up the Ram every week. That got expensive.

We had my wife's car we got rid of (dealer offered us a good chunk of $$ to buy it back early in COVID and we weren't driving), so we had that we were sitting on.

She wanted an EV for a few reasons. 1) Performance. She wanted good/great acceleration. 2) Not adding pollution while driving.

Yes, she knows that electricity comes from a variety of sources: oil, coal, gas, nuclear, hydro, solar so there's that, as well as the mining of minerals. So in that respect, EV's are not as environmentally friendly as claims say. But, she was not wanting to spit stuff out a tailpipe while driving, and that is a valid point, especially in cities.

EV's do not create the pollution while in operation that ICE vehicles do, and the amount of added pollution from the power plants is no greater than running a dryer load of laundry for the week (on a level 2 charger at home). The fast, level 3 chargers are more of an issue with power requirements, but they don't get the amount of use that level 2 chargers get - they just get the most publicity and have the bigger target on them.

My Jeep has a specific use: offroad and as a toy (and for severe/bad weather conditions).
My Ram has a specific use: hauling our travel trailer and big loads around town (and the occasional long trip, depending on what we're doing/where we're going).
The EV handles our long trips, around town driving, and is a lot of fun as well. And

Sure, the EV requires the planning of the charging stations, but we're okay with that. If we have to be somewhere, absolutely by a certain time, we take the truck.

I will not say EV's are THE answer. They're absolutely not. But, they are AN answer for some people. Just as the horseless carriage wasn't for everybody, it met a need for others and it grew. Infrastructure grew for it, despite the weaknesses at that time. Things got better. EV's are in a similar situation.

I'd love to see other options where ICE engines get even better with reduced to no emissions (hybrids are an example) yet help with performance as well.

I won't bash on ICE cars because I believe in, and love them. I won't bash on EV's because I think they have a role, believe in them, and love them too. I think innovations from one can help the other.

But I tend to be a moderate and try to see both sides of an issue.

We traded in our first EV, a Kia EV6, and got an insane deal on a Mercedes EQE that put it on par with the cost of the EV6. Longer range, more features she wanted, and put her back in the brand that she enjoys driving (other than BMW). She clears a great salary, so no worries. She's happy. To me, that's what matters.
cliffs?
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:53pm   #165
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 68.3%

Thanked 33,446 Times in 11,748 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
cliffs?
EVs work for some things for some people, but aren't nearly ready to replace ICE cars.

YW

Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 12:58pm   #166
The_Dude
Barn Stall Owner #113
Bantayan Kids '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
EVs work for some things for some people, but aren't nearly ready to replace ICE cars.

YW

Thanks! Why didn't he just say that instead of writing a book? Being succinct > verbosity
Old 01-16-2024, 1:08pm   #167
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 41.7%

Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,119 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

I have a cold, and didn't get out of bed until 10 am this morning. I took a piss when I got up. It's 1 pm now, three hours since I have pissed. I had a glass of water, two cups of coffee, and a glass of OJ since I got up, and I still don't have to piss. Should I see a Doctor about this? Please help.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 2:34pm   #168
KenHorse
Barn Stall Owner #123
Activity: 75.5%

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Thanked 1,852 Times in 822 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I have a cold, and didn't get out of bed until 10 am this morning. I took a piss when I got up. It's 1 pm now, three hours since I have pissed. I had a glass of water, two cups of coffee, and a glass of OJ since I got up, and I still don't have to piss. Should I see a Doctor about this? Please help.
When you're able to again, at least you have a pot to piss in
KenHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 2:37pm   #169
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 18,580 Times in 8,211 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:

You're one of the few people who can actually think rationally on this topic.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 2:38pm   #170
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
There's a whole stack of them up in Chicago that you could probably pick up cheap if you had a flatbed.
Or check out one of the Hertz used vehicle sales.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 2:45pm   #171
erickpl
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $111433

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
Thanks! Why didn't he just say that instead of writing a book? Being succinct > verbosity
Yeah, I sometimes forget that complex issues have to be simplified for people.

And in this group, if you keep it TOO simple, you get jumped on for not providing specifics or examples. So I provided it.

The reality here is that most people (both pro- and anti- EV) seem to oversimplify the issues with them. I try not to.

I try not to live life using memes and oversimplification. But the attached photo seems to best illustrate where we're at. If you find it funny, you likely don't have an issue with EV's. If you are offended by it, you're likely opposed to EV's.
Attached Thumbnails
412935906_10233337899210866_8806297779999112773_n.jpg  

erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to erickpl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 2:47pm   #172
The_Dude
Barn Stall Owner #113
Bantayan Kids '14

Quote:

And in this group, if you keep it TOO simple, you get jumped on for not providing specifics or examples. So I provided it.

The reality here is that most people (both pro- and anti- EV) seem to oversimplify the issues with them. I try not to.

I try not to live life using memes and oversimplification. But the attached photo seems to best illustrate where we're at. If you find it funny, you likely don't have an issue with EV's. If you are offended by it, you're likely opposed to EV's.
no homo
Old 01-16-2024, 2:59pm   #173
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 43.5%

Thanked 7,748 Times in 3,448 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
I've said many times that I am/have considered various EVs for very specific purposes. I've looked at and driven the Hummer, Audi, Caddy, and have researched but not driven the Lucid and Rivian. I've driven multiple Tesla models as well. While the thought of being a part of the Tesla cult would make me want to instinctively punch myself in the face, my reason for not wanting one isn't political or idealistic. It's very simple actually. I think they drive like shit and look even worse. They accelerate well. Great. In every other aspect that I even remotely care about, they are garbage.

What I do have a problem with is the inability of the EV zealots to admit that they are anything less than perfection with their constant barrage of absolutely stupid shit trying to convince people that they are better in all ways than ICE vehicles ... and the things that aren't better, don't matter anyway (because they let you eat hot meals).
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 3:18pm   #174
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 41.7%

Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,119 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
When you're able to again, at least you have a pot to piss in
True, true. At least so far, I haven't had the other problem (not being able to go when it makes sense to empty the tank) either. Some on here would have you believe that I am somehow "weird". I always state the caveat (at least so far), because I know that both conditions are common as us men age, and I am thankful that so far, I haven't had problems in that department. I also know that tomorrow may bring some unwelcome surprises, so unlike others here, I don't criticize those who have "special needs". I think most men who have those types of issues at a young age are just unlucky, but a special few (like those who consume 20+ cans of soda per day) bring it on themselves. I have little sympathy for folks who suffer from self-inflicted conditions.

Quote:

Do you think you're one of those?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 3:25pm   #175
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,658 Times in 3,764 Posts

Quote:

The funny fact is, when this car came out 120 years ago, there were more EV's than gas or steam cars at the time. They didn't pan out then, either.
GTOguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 3:28pm   #176
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
What I do have a problem with is the inability of the EV zealots to admit that they are anything less than perfection with their constant barrage of absolutely stupid shit trying to convince people that they are better in all ways than ICE vehicles ...
So which VB members here are "EV zealots" in your esteemed opinion?
Old 01-16-2024, 3:29pm   #177
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
The funny fact is, when this car came out 120 years ago, there were more EV's than gas or steam cars at the time.
And you would know since you learned to drive on one.
Old 01-16-2024, 3:30pm   #178
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Do you think you're one of those?
I know that I am. However, as one of my Core Haters, you'll never admit it.
Old 01-16-2024, 3:34pm   #179
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 68.3%

Thanked 33,446 Times in 11,748 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:

GSC3 is a Board Certified EV Zealot. You just act like one to troll people.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 3:42pm   #180
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 43.5%

Thanked 7,748 Times in 3,448 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
If you have to ask...
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic