Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion

Politics & Religion Discussion of politics and religion

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 12:16pm   #41
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner
Points: 14,229, Level: 82
Activity: 0%
 
Z06PDQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 3,548
Thanks: 2,080
Thanked 394 Times in 336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Let's take a look at that by the numbers. The 99th percentile of the population earn 19 percent of the income but pay 37 percent of the income tax. The top 10 percent pay 68 percent of the total income taxes collected. The top 25 percent pay 85 percent of the tax bill.

On the other hand... the bottom 50 percent earn 13 percent of the income but pay just 3 percent of the taxes.

So please... define "their fair share".
you don't really believe that do you? these corporations have the best tax lawyers money can buy. they aren't paying anywhere near that. as for the bottom 50% - they are people that live paycheck to paycheck, one disaster away from total ruin. do you think the term "tax shelter" was invented by one of them?
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:19pm   #42
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Points: 46,704, Level: 100
Activity: 1.3%
 
RedLS1GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH ....ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑBE....
Posts: 12,715
Thanks: 1,175
Thanked 6,764 Times in 3,019 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
it's time to bring back the tax rates that provided the robust economies history clearly shows us we had when the wealthy were made to pay their fair share.
I deleted my first post (apparently not in time) to give updated numbers.

Let's take a look at that by the numbers.

Top 1% = 20% of AGI, 30.2% of total income tax paid, at an average rate of 23.27%
Top 5% = 34.73% of AGI, 58.72% of total income tax paid, at an average rate of 20.70%
Top 25% = 67.38% of AGI, 86.34% of total income tax paid, at an average rate of 15.68%

On the otherhand...

Bottom 50% = 12.75% of AGI and only 2.7% of the total income tax collected at an average rate of only 2.59%


So please... define "their fair share".
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 12:21pm   #43
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner
Points: 14,229, Level: 82
Activity: 0%
 
Z06PDQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 3,548
Thanks: 2,080
Thanked 394 Times in 336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Please provide proof that show a direct correlation between higher taxes and a better economy with nothing else affecting said economy to make it better.
so, you think the boom of the 1950's when tax rates were at 91% under Eisenhower was just a fluke?
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:22pm   #44
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Points: 46,704, Level: 100
Activity: 1.3%
 
RedLS1GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH ....ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑBE....
Posts: 12,715
Thanks: 1,175
Thanked 6,764 Times in 3,019 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
you don't really believe that do you? these corporations have the best tax lawyers money can buy. they aren't paying anywhere near that. as for the bottom 50% - they are people that live paycheck to paycheck, one disaster away from total ruin. do you think the term "tax shelter" was invented by one of them?
Those are the numbers reported by the IRS. Not by the news media, not by journalists, but the raw data from the IRS. ...and I never said anything about corporations but that was a nice try.

Long story short. They do pay their "fair share" but that's not enough in your mind. You think that you should tax the shit out of the rich to pay for the poor.


EDIT:

Like I said, look at the numbers for the individuals that was posted (verify if you would like) and then please define what you mean by "fair share". Of course I don't expect you to. I'm expecting that instead you will change the subject again to corporations or something else.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:24pm   #45
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Points: 46,704, Level: 100
Activity: 1.3%
 
RedLS1GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH ....ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑBE....
Posts: 12,715
Thanks: 1,175
Thanked 6,764 Times in 3,019 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
so, you think the boom of the 1950's when tax rates were at 91% under Eisenhower was just a fluke?
You think the economic boom of the 50s was caused by the tax rates???

Wow.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:32pm   #46
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner
Points: 14,229, Level: 82
Activity: 0%
 
Z06PDQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 3,548
Thanks: 2,080
Thanked 394 Times in 336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
You think the economic boom of the 50s was caused by the tax rates???

Wow.
no. I think when corporations are heavily taxed they tend to invest in their companies for tax advantages instead of sitting on their wealth like they have been doing. surely you know how that relates to economic growth. here's a link regarding regressive tax- Middle Class Impact Our Regressive Income Tax
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:36pm   #47
thkauffman
Barn Stall Owner #31
Points: 8,873, Level: 65
Activity: 0%
 
thkauffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,825
Thanks: 108
Thanked 602 Times in 489 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $73231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
no. I think when corporations are heavily taxed they tend to invest in their companies for tax advantages instead of sitting on their wealth like they have been doing. surely you know how that relates to economic growth. here's a link regarding regressive tax- Middle Class Impact Our Regressive Income Tax
Your premise goes directly against every viable economic theory around. Think guns and butter. It's the most basic thing in econ.
thkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:42pm   #48
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner
Points: 14,229, Level: 82
Activity: 0%
 
Z06PDQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 3,548
Thanks: 2,080
Thanked 394 Times in 336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkauffman View Post
Your premise goes directly against every viable economic theory around. Think guns and butter. It's the most basic thing in econ.
wow....you must be a real speed reader. I'm still reading that 1800 word article.
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:57pm   #49
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Points: 46,704, Level: 100
Activity: 1.3%
 
RedLS1GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH ....ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑBE....
Posts: 12,715
Thanks: 1,175
Thanked 6,764 Times in 3,019 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
wow....you must be a real speed reader. I'm still reading that 1800 word article.
It's an article written on a liberal website by a liberal from a liberal point of view. I can find plenty more like it and I can find equally as many with a conservative point of view that don't agree at all. What's your point?

The simple fact is this. You believe that the rich should be taxed to the point that they support the poor. That is what is "fair" in your mind.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 1:02pm   #50
thkauffman
Barn Stall Owner #31
Points: 8,873, Level: 65
Activity: 0%
 
thkauffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,825
Thanks: 108
Thanked 602 Times in 489 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $73231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
wow....you must be a real speed reader. I'm still reading that 1800 word article.
RIF.

I was commenting on your belief about taxes and corporations.
thkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 1:03pm   #51
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner
Points: 14,229, Level: 82
Activity: 0%
 
Z06PDQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 3,548
Thanks: 2,080
Thanked 394 Times in 336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
It's an article written on a liberal website by a liberal from a liberal point of view. I can find plenty more like it and I can find equally as many with a conservative point of view that don't agree at all. What's your point?
my point is just because it was written by a liberal doesn't mean it's not factual & highly informative. just "shoot the messenger" went out centuries ago.
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 1:05pm   #52
Will
Barn Stall Owner #15
Fantasy Football Champ '11,'13,'17
Points: 36,334, Level: 100
Activity: 15.8%
 
Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis.
Posts: 7,638
Thanks: 302
Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,087 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1050381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
so, you think the boom of the 1950's when tax rates were at 91% under Eisenhower was just a fluke?
What "boom" ??? This is a MYTH. Average annual REAL GDP growth under Eisenhower was a mere 3%. Things seemed "Golden" because ANYTHING is Golden compared to World War and Depression. In 1950 and 1951 only, we experience a short boom (Truman was still in office) as we recovered from the 1945-1949 recession (that's right, in addition to the great depression, new deal economic policy managed to get us into a slump AGAIN immediately after the war). During Eisenhower's term, we experience big growth in 1955 and 1959 only, with the remaining 6 years added in giving us an average of only 3%. Lower than during the Kennedy/LBJ admin, the Reagan admin, hell, even the Carter admin.

For comparison, the number rose to 4.9 % during the 8 years of Kennedy/Johnson.

Under Kennedy/LBJ, BTW, we reversed course, cut taxes, and looked to the private sector to promote economic growth. Eisenhower's administration was the first peace time and non depression time test of New Deal tax and economic policy. It proved inferior, however to give credit where credit is due the highway construction under Eisenhower WAS a fantastic idea. But the emphasis on govt. as the driver of economic expansion stifled that expansion.

BEA National Economic Accounts
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 1:06pm   #53
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Points: 46,704, Level: 100
Activity: 1.3%
 
RedLS1GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH ....ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑBE....
Posts: 12,715
Thanks: 1,175
Thanked 6,764 Times in 3,019 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
my point is just because it was written by a liberal doesn't mean it's not factual & highly informative.
But it certainly doesn't mean that it IS factual and informative either.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 1:14pm   #54
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner
Points: 14,229, Level: 82
Activity: 0%
 
Z06PDQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 3,548
Thanks: 2,080
Thanked 394 Times in 336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
What "boom" ??? This is a MYTH. Average annual REAL GDP growth under Eisenhower was a mere 3%. Things seemed "Golden" because ANYTHING is Golden compared to World War and Depression. In 1950 and 1951 only, we experience a short boom (Truman was still in office) as we recovered from the 1945-1949 recession (that's right, in addition to the great depression, new deal economic policy managed to get us into a slump AGAIN immediately after the war). During Eisenhower's term, we experience big growth in 1955 and 1959 only, with the remaining 6 years added in giving us an average of only 3%. Lower than during the Kennedy/LBJ admin, the Reagan admin, hell, even the Carter admin.

For comparison, the number rose to 4.9 % during the 8 years of Kennedy/Johnson.

Under Kennedy/LBJ, BTW, we reversed course, cut taxes, and looked to the private sector to promote economic growth. Eisenhower's administration was the first peace time and non depression time test of New Deal tax and economic policy. It proved inferior, however to give credit where credit is due the highway construction under Eisenhower WAS a fantastic idea. But the emphasis on govt. as the driver of economic expansion stifled that expansion.

BEA National Economic Accounts
yeah I should have included the LBJ/JFK years. ok...that's fine with me. let's go back to their tax rates.
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 1:16pm   #55
thkauffman
Barn Stall Owner #31
Points: 8,873, Level: 65
Activity: 0%
 
thkauffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,825
Thanks: 108
Thanked 602 Times in 489 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $73231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
yeah I should have included the LBJ/JFK years. ok...that's fine with me. let's go back to their tax rates.
You missed the point. Again.

The point is that lowering taxes is a proven method of spurring economic growth. It's been proven time and time again.
thkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 1:17pm   #56
Will
Barn Stall Owner #15
Fantasy Football Champ '11,'13,'17
Points: 36,334, Level: 100
Activity: 15.8%
 
Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis.
Posts: 7,638
Thanks: 302
Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,087 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1050381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
Gotta love people who quote government statistics when it suits their cause & then turn right around & claim things like "the government is manipulating the unemployment numbers" or insert whatever the *cause of the day* is. do we trust government data or not? which is it
This is a false straw-man argument. I am the one quoting govt. statistics. I have never complained about the unemployment numbers. Every admin uses U3 as the standard, and we have the data for both u3 and u6 going back quite a while.

Now, on a completely separate forum where I have charted unemployment, I did discuss last year the short term effect of census employment on the unemployment figures.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 1:20pm   #57
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner
Points: 14,229, Level: 82
Activity: 0%
 
Z06PDQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 3,548
Thanks: 2,080
Thanked 394 Times in 336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
This is a false straw-man argument. I am the one quoting govt. statistics. I have never complained about the unemployment numbers. Every admin uses U3 as the standard, and we have the data for both u3 and u6 going back quite a while.

Now, on a completely separate forum where I have charted unemployment, I did discuss last year the short term effect of census employment on the unemployment figures.
but do we know for a fact that these numbers wouldn't have been better had there been a higher tax on the Wealthy Elite? I think I probably know where that other forum is.
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 1:22pm   #58
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner
Points: 14,229, Level: 82
Activity: 0%
 
Z06PDQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 3,548
Thanks: 2,080
Thanked 394 Times in 336 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkauffman View Post
You missed the point. Again.

The point is that lowering taxes is a proven method of spurring economic growth. It's been proven time and time again.
I suggest you look at the graph & compare tax rates to economic growth again.
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 1:31pm   #59
Will
Barn Stall Owner #15
Fantasy Football Champ '11,'13,'17
Points: 36,334, Level: 100
Activity: 15.8%
 
Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis.
Posts: 7,638
Thanks: 302
Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,087 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1050381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
let's go back to their tax rates.
Why? So we can stifle economic growth for NO significant measurable increase in revenue?





Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 1:42pm   #60
Will
Barn Stall Owner #15
Fantasy Football Champ '11,'13,'17
Points: 36,334, Level: 100
Activity: 15.8%
 
Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis.
Posts: 7,638
Thanks: 302
Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,087 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1050381
Default

From 1966 (first year of Data I collected) to 1980, Average Annual Revenue as a % of GDP was 17.4%

Reagan took office in 1981 amidst a horrible recession.

During his term (1981-1988) Average Annual Revenue as a % of GDP was 17.8%
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:15am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2021 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page