Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2021, 8:05am   #1
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 29.1%

Thanked 33,850 Times in 12,334 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124
Default Hide apps from your iPhone’s home screen

Clean up your home screen without deleting apps

https://www.theverge.com/22420904/io...ne-hide-how-to

If you get annoyed with the number of apps that crowd your iPhone’s home screen, you probably welcomed a feature that came with iOS 14: the App Library, which gathers all of your apps into various categories and displays them on a separate page to the right of your home pages.

The App Library doesn’t only add some automatic organization to your iPhone’s home pages, but allows you to clean up your home screen by hiding as many apps as you want. You can keep your favorites front and center, and get the more utilitarian or less-used apps out of the way. (In fact, one way to keep a clean screen is to have all your newly-installed apps appear in your App Library only — we offer directions on how to do that here:
https://www.theverge.com/21443994/io...rganize-how-to )

If you want to organize your current apps by hiding some of them, there are several ways to do it. You can remove individual apps from the home screen, you can hide an entire screen of apps, or you can organize several apps by putting them into a folder.

Hide a single app:
click for pic:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ghd7...D8317B4_1.jpeg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/U88f...1/IMG_0106.jpg

To hide individual apps:

Press on your selected app until a menu appears. The menu will include a number of options, depending on the app’s features (for example, if I press on an app for Microsoft Teams, the menu will let me make a new call or start a chat). But you will always get an option (in red) to remove the app. Tap on that.
You will now have the choice of deleting the app from the phone or removing it from the home screen. Select the latter. You’ll still find the app in the App Library.
If the app is not already in the App Library, then after you tap “Remove App,” you will instead be given the choice of either deleting the app or moving it to the App Library.

Hide a page of apps (click for pic):
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/vfuO...F5ECAB6_1.jpeg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/H_3w...CFB7F74_1.jpeg

You can also hide an entire page of apps — and get rid of that page — at one blow if you want. And since it’s really easy to also restore that same page, it’s a great way to hide groups of apps that you only use occasionally.

Tap and hold on an empty part of your screen until the apps begin to jiggle
Tap on the dots at the bottom of the screen
You’ll now be able to see small versions of all your screens (except the App Library and Today View). Beneath each visible screen is a checkmark; uncheck any screen you want to hide and tap “Done” in the upper right corner.
To “unhide” any of the screens, follow these same directions and replace the checkmark of the screen that you want to see again.

Use folders to organize apps (pics)
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/bvVt...0C97344_1.jpeg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/_XEZ...D5779F9_1.jpeg

You can use folders on the home screen to gather similar apps together and save space. You won’t be completely hiding the apps — they’ll be there. But they’ll be consolidated in a single space.

It’s very simple to create a folder:

Long-press on an app in the home screen until the icons jiggle
Move the app onto one of the other apps you want to group it with
You’ll now have a gray icon that contains the icons for the apps in the folder. Tap on the icon to open the folder and access the apps in it.
iOS will assign a name to the folder depending on what apps you’ve put in it. To change the name, long-press on the folder, and select “Rename” from the pop-up menu. Then type in the new name.

screen pics:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ZKCB...D9DDEC0_1.jpeg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ga9E...5477CAA_1.jpeg

To remove an app from a folder, simply open the folder, long-press the app until it jiggles, and move it out of the folder and to another space on your home screen. If you remove all the apps from a folder, the folder will disappear.
If you want to get rid of a folder, you can also long-press on it and select “Remove Folder.” Any apps that were in the folder can then be found in the App Library.

What does the yellow dot mean on iOS 14?

The orange dot is actually being referred to as a yellow dot by many users. The two are essentially the same indicators that may appear differently on different devices. It is one of the two indicators that you will observe after updating to the latest iOS software. The orange dot alerts iPhone user that their phone’s microphone is being used by an application or service on the device. Users will observe this light even while using the basic functions on their iPhones.
Mike Mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 8:09am   #2
Thunder22
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.3%

Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,283 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $216475

welcome to android version 1
Thunder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thunder22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 8:24am   #3
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,860 Times in 11,764 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder22 View Post
welcome to android version 1
Exactly. I am an Apple Certified Tech and refuse to buy or use their products....especially the mobile stuff.

I have an iPad pro that was given to me new, but I only use that for games and surfing interwebs when I don't want to carry my laptop.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 12:48pm   #4
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 93.5%

Thanked 41,283 Times in 17,168 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Hijacking this thread to ask a question:

I have an Android phone, a Galaxy J3. Somehow, the keyboard switched to Chinese characters, so I can no longer text. All else remains as normal. I tried resetting the language to English in the settings menu, which it already was set to. I even took it to my carrier's retail store, where they tried all sorts of things to reset it to English. No joy. Their suggestion would be to buy another phone, but I really don't want to lose the saved texts, contacts, and pictures that are on the phone, and since the keyboard is now in Chinese, the phone store guy was unsure if my stuff could be ported over to a new phone, since the text messages aren't stored on the SIM card.

Halp!

Edit: And before anyone asks, no, I did not visit any sketchy sites, or click on sketchy attachments.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 1:01pm   #5
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 29.1%

Thanked 33,850 Times in 12,334 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

J3:

https://videotron.tmtx.ca/en/topic/s...ge.html#step=1
Mike Mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 1:02pm   #6
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,860 Times in 11,764 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post

I have an Android phone, a Galaxy J3. Somehow, the keyboard switched to Chinese characters, so I can no longer text. All else remains as normal. I tried resetting the language to English in the settings menu, which it already was set to. I even took it to my carrier's retail store, where they tried all sorts of things to reset it to English. No joy. Their suggestion would be to buy another phone, but I really don't want to lose the saved texts, contacts, and pictures that are on the phone, and since the keyboard is now in Chinese, the phone store guy was unsure if my stuff could be ported over to a new phone, since the text messages aren't stored on the SIM card.

Halp!

Edit: And before anyone asks, no, I did not visit any sketchy sites, or click on sketchy attachments.
Normally, with Galaxy phones and most android OS, everything is backed up via google. I usually disable this feature and set everything to save to SIM (phone contacts) and other data to the SD card.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 1:24pm   #7
Thunder22
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.3%

Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,283 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $216475

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post

Halp!

no joke: find an Asian friend that can read it and ask them to fix it. Or reset phone factory after backing it up. you can use MyPhoneExplorer to back up pics/texts etc to a pc wirelessly or vis usb
Thunder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thunder22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 1:26pm   #8
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 93.5%

Thanked 41,283 Times in 17,168 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post
Thank you!!!!!!!!!

I did all of that, the only thing I didn't do before, was swipe the space bar to the right, which instantly fixed the problem. Dude at the phone store obviously wanted to just sell me a new phone.

You da real MVP MM!!!
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic