Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2020, 5:41pm   #241
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 59.4%

Thanked 23,887 Times in 9,911 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
At what count do we do what we've always done and tell vulnerable people to stay home, instead of telling everyone over the age of 2 to wear masks? At what count is it worth bankrupting thousands of businesses, putting millions of people out of work and denying basic medical care to millions of people? At what count is it acceptable to close schools and deny children a year (at least so far) an education?

Look, I don't really give a shit about masks. I wear one when it's required. I DO care about those other things. As unsavory as it sounds, society must put a value on a human life because we don't have unlimited amounts of money. So far the response in the U.S. has cost trillions of dollars, and it's still going. "It's worth it if it saves one life" is one of the most idiotic things anybody can possibly say.

What about the additional 10,000 to 30,000 people in the U.S. who will die from cancer because they were denied treatment due to COVID? Is that okay too?

Last year about 2.9 million people died in the U.S. This year about 2.9 million people will die. We've destroyed businesses and peoples' lives and spent trillions of dollars to reduce the total death count by ZERO. Does that make any sense at all?

[murraT] Lots more people would have died without the restrictions. I believe that but don't have any facts or evidence to back it up. [/murraT]
Alot of shit govt has done it bullshit but lets remember we voted the fuktards into office.... Or someone did.

So 2.9 million died, ok so give me a number of people who would have died if nothing at all was done? Can't can you... So let's say a 10% increase. Was that an acceptable number to keep everything open? What exactly is the dollar amount per death we will accept. Yes every person has a dollar number and we all know it. You're comparing apples in oranges IMO to include everything.
How many kids didn't get hit and killed walking to school/waiting for the bus, how many wives stabbed their husbands to death, etc.
It's a fine line and nobody really knows what the fuk to do to balance livelihoods and keep risks down.

Here's the real problem , no way we were prepared for this virus and no way could we put a proper mask on every citizen that needed it. Stop gap /best we could do was a general mask. Ask an Army guy if he'd ever been sent in unprepared.
So should we have produced a zillion n95 masks and been major dicks about enforcement. Yea that would have went over well and the govt a bunch of pussies so they wouldn't enforce it anyway.
I feel for the small businesses, I bitched more than most over the draconian shutdowns, but people are fukin stupid let's face it.
So you say survival of the fittest should rule the land, well unfortunately small businesses are going to shutter and not come back. So some people are going to live and some businesses are going to shut down, but they'll live and hopefully find a new path and prosper.
If people don't think extensive restrictions and shutdowns are not in the near future they may be wrong...
Rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 5:52pm   #242
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 91.4%

Thanked 41,260 Times in 17,155 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
. Alot of shit govt has done it bullshit but lets remember we voted the fuktards into office.... Or someone did.

So 2.9 million died, ok so give me a number of people who would have died if nothing at all was done? Can't can you... So let's say a 10% increase. Was that an acceptable number to keep everything open? What exactly is the dollar amount per death we will accept. Yes every person has a dollar number and we all know it. You're comparing apples in oranges IMO to include everything.
How many kids didn't get hit and killed walking to school/waiting for the bus, how many wives stabbed their husbands to death, etc.
It's a fine line and nobody really knows what the fuk to do to balance livelihoods and keep risks down.

Here's the real problem , no way we were prepared for this virus and no way could we put a proper mask on every citizen that needed it. Stop gap /best we could do was a general mask. Ask an Army guy if he'd ever been sent in unprepared.
So should we have produced a zillion n95 masks and been major dicks about enforcement. Yea that would have went over well and the govt a bunch of pussies so they wouldn't enforce it anyway.
I feel for the small businesses, I bitched more than most over the draconian shutdowns, but people are fukin stupid let's face it.
So you say survival of the fittest should rule the land, well unfortunately small businesses are going to shutter and not come back. So some people are going to live and some businesses are going to shut down, but they'll live and hopefully find a new path and prosper.
If people don't think extensive restrictions and shutdowns are not in the near future they may be wrong...
What we are learning is, it was Dominion Voting Systems employees and DNC operatives that voted ****tards into office.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 5:57pm   #243
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 65.8%

Thanked 33,347 Times in 11,696 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
So 2.9 million died, ok so give me a number of people who would have died if nothing at all was done? Can't can you... So let's say a 10% increase. Was that an acceptable number to keep everything open? What exactly is the dollar amount per death we will accept. Yes every person has a dollar number and we all know it.
I'm not talking about the value of a life to any one person. I'm talking about the value of a life to a society (or country) as a whole, which is actually very common when regulations are developed. The Journal of the American Medical Association (that's a pretty objective source) said in mid-October that the virus has cost the U.S. economy $16 trillion. That's $16,000,000,000,000 and it's still going up fast. Here's the link to their study. From the paper:
Quote:
Although putting a value on a given human life is impossible, economists have developed the technique of valuing “statistical lives”; that is, measuring how much it is worth to people to reduce their risk of mortality or morbidity. This approach has been used as a standard in US regulatory policy and in discussions of global health policy.

There is a lengthy economic literature assessing the value of a statistical life; for example, in environmental and health regulation. Although no single number is universally accepted, ranges are often used. In environmental and health policy, for example, a statistical life is assumed to be worth $10 million.
With less than 300,000 deaths so far, we've spent over $53 million on each of those. That is insanity.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 6:58pm   #244
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 14,754 Times in 5,010 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $894473

I went to an actual grocery store, instead of the riff raff convenience store, and a state-run liquor store. 100% masks, hand sanitizer, and disinfectant wipes at the handy. There is the occasional non-wearing maskhole at the grocer, but waaaay better than Shitz, I mean Sheetz. You ain’t gettin your booze if you don’t have a mask at the ABC. Maybe they’ll provide one. I don’t know. I keep two in the truck.
Little Red L98. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Red L98. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 7:10pm   #245
The_Dude
Barn Stall Owner #113
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 27.3%

Thanked 16,985 Times in 6,927 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $306898

I'm going to be forced to go out too. No beer or booze in the house.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 7:12pm   #246
Murray
A Real Barner
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 11,251 Times in 3,995 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
It can be when the cure is worse than the disease. If you were the owner of a restaurant or gym in an affected area, you might rethink this. Either that, or you’d rather lose your life savings and your livelihood on the infinitesimal chance you *might* die.

I’d take my chances with Covid.
Government is helping virtually everyone effected by it.

And based on wait times, restaurants are busier now than they’ve ever been
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 7:12pm   #247
z06psi
Barn Stall Owner #∞
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 13,711 Times in 5,285 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $34677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
I'm not talking about the value of a life to any one person. I'm talking about the value of a life to a society (or country) as a whole, which is actually very common when regulations are developed. The Journal of the American Medical Association (that's a pretty objective source) said in mid-October that the virus has cost the U.S. economy $16 trillion. That's $16,000,000,000,000 and it's still going up fast. Here's the link to their study. From the paper:

With less than 300,000 deaths so far, we've spent over $53 million on each of those. That is insanity.
250k more will die this month.
z06psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 7:13pm   #248
Nox
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,676 Times in 634 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Government is helping virtually everyone effected by it.

And based on wait times, restaurants are busier now than they’ve ever been
You believe this? It’s utter B.S.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 7:18pm   #249
Murray
A Real Barner

Quote:
You believe this? It’s utter B.S.
Believe what? Wait times or gov help?
Old 12-04-2020, 7:22pm   #250
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Believe what? Wait times or gov help?
I don’t know where you live, but here in Los Angeles, restaurants are going out of business permanently left and right. Some had been my favorite places. Others are closing one or two days a week, and when I go to pick up food, they say they are struggling. We don’t have dine in and most recently, we don’t even have outdoor seating, and these places are NOT being helped. They are going under.

Secondly, I have a spoken to a lot of people laid off and out of work and they tell me they haven’t gotten shit from their employers. Their employers may be getting money, but they are using it to pay rent and such while their employee’s get laid off.

So I don’t have any idea where you get the idea that restaurants are busier now than ever, or that the Government is helping those out of work.

It’s all Bullshit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 7:37pm   #251
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 59.4%

Thanked 23,887 Times in 9,911 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

Ok time for another sub topic.

People were laid off, granted mostly lower paying jobs.
So what was the federal added onto unemployment, several hundred a week(600 wasn't it).
So how many saved 2 nickels out of that for i don't know getting laid off from kung flu again wether it was from lack of business or mandated shutdowns?
So should I give 2 shits if they were stupid and have no money due to restrictions now, i dont think so. Hope they enjoy that new phone and big screen living in their van.
Now granted some states sucked big time in response time for unemployment benefits, but most states initiated no power shutoff and rent stuff(not sure how many did). Thus things should have been caught up before evictions and shutoffs started again.
The number of people who delayed payments to local utility was more than 30% here. I'm sure some absolutely had no way to pay anything but bet a majority just didn't want to give up netflix and that new phone so paid no rent or utilities and now owe and saved nothing.
I think the benefits they paid were in good intentions but being people are stupid it may back fire long term. Sure in cali 600 extra a week may just put bologna on table but here it's a damn good living for most.

Let's face it a majority of people are not prepared in any way for a shutdown or catastrophe.

So now we are months into this, do we think people have prepared for along term event besides just buying all the fukin TP again?

Cliffs for flexo.... Fukin potatos are stupid.
Rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 7:51pm   #252
Murray
A Real Barner

Quote:
I don’t know where you live, but here in Los Angeles, restaurants are going out of business permanently left and right. Some had been my favorite places. Others are closing one or two days a week, and when I go to pick up food, they say they are struggling. We don’t have dine in and most recently, we don’t even have outdoor seating, and these places are NOT being helped. They are going under.

Secondly, I have a spoken to a lot of people laid off and out of work and they tell me they haven’t gotten shit from their employers. Their employers may be getting money, but they are using it to pay rent and such while their employee’s get laid off.

So I don’t have any idea where you get the idea that restaurants are busier now than ever, or that the Government is helping those out of work.

It’s all Bullshit.
3 personal experiences lately

1.... ordering Chinese.....”it’ll be 2 1/2 hrs for delivery,hour and a half if you pick it up.

2..... try to order chicken fingers and fries and they are so busy they took the phone off the hook so people have to go down to place the order then come back and get it.

3. While driving at 6:45pm and being about 15-20 mins away from the restaurant ....” hey if we place an order now would it be ready in 30 mins or so?”

“We won’t even get to it till after 8pm.”

That’s what it’s like here and has been for 6-7 months.

Gov help

$500 a week if your employment is affected by Covid

$40,000 interest free loan to small businesses where only $30k needs to be paid back to help with payroll

Many other programs that I can’t be bothered to go look for but they are out there
Old 12-04-2020, 7:52pm   #253
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 50.4%

Thanked 18,521 Times in 8,172 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

Quote:
I don’t know where you live, but here in Los Angeles, restaurants are going out of business permanently left and right.
I don't doubt what you're saying, but here in The OC not one of the restaurants I frequent has closed. A couple of weeks ago I went to Selma's (a Chicago-style pizza place) to do take-out and the place was packed - every booth was occupied, as well as most of the tables outside on their patio.

No doubt some of the weaker establishments have been culled by this lockdown nonsense, but the good ones will survive.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dvarapala For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 8:02pm   #254
The_Dude
Barn Stall Owner #113
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 27.3%

Thanked 16,985 Times in 6,927 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $306898

Plenty have closed here too.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 8:20pm   #255
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvarapala View Post
I don't doubt what you're saying, but here in The OC not one of the restaurants I frequent has closed. A couple of weeks ago I went to Selma's (a Chicago-style pizza place) to do take-out and the place was packed - every booth was occupied, as well as most of the tables outside on their patio.

No doubt some of the weaker establishments have been culled by this lockdown nonsense, but the good ones will survive.
Here’s a partial list of restaurants that have closed. A lot of mom and pops didn’t even rate to make this list....

https://la.eater.com/2020/5/8/212521...risis-pandemic
The Following User Says Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 8:32pm   #256
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 91.4%

Thanked 41,260 Times in 17,155 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Here’s a partial list of restaurants that have closed. A lot of mom and pops didn’t even rate to make this list....

https://la.eater.com/2020/5/8/212521...risis-pandemic
Newsome and other Democrat governors are making it hurt, first to hurt Trump for the election, and then, for the big picture, to end up getting bailouts from Uncle Sugar for their states.

I mean, do you want to keep your economy and restaurants going? Let them do business. Let them stay open. Newsome doesn't want to do that.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 8:33pm   #257
z06psi
Barn Stall Owner #∞
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 13,711 Times in 5,285 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $34677

Everything open here except movie theaters which I don't go to anyways.
z06psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 8:37pm   #258
FLEXjs
A Real Barner
Activity: 7.6%

Thanked 5,680 Times in 1,917 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12967

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06psi View Post
Potato society not worried about Rona because they're already potatoes.

Makes perfect sense.
FLEXjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLEXjs For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 8:38pm   #259
Cool 50th AE
Barn Stall Owner #666
Activity: 22.7%

Thanked 4,234 Times in 1,640 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1006120

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06psi View Post
Yep, I refuse to give money to those “show folk”
Cool 50th AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 8:39pm   #260
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 14,754 Times in 5,010 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $894473

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
Plenty have closed here too.
The Green Room Billiards, which served beer and food is now “Commnity Outreach”. Just noticed that tonight. I always wanted to go there. Been around for a minute I think.
Little Red L98. is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic