Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2010, 12:27am   #1
Munch
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #00
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2041885
Default My first check lane

I was driving on the Eastern Shore today (Virginia's version of Michigan's upper peninsula) and going down this side road to Cape Charles when I came upon a check point with 3 state trooper cars and a couple troopers in the road stopping traffic. Mind you it's 11am Sunday on a very lightly traveled road. I get up to the trooper and he wants to see my license so I oblige and ask him "Is this one of them there check points?" he says "Yeah, just making sure everyone has a drivers license." I figured they were really looking for someone in particular as this seemed a huge waste of resources but what do I know, I just pay their salary.

I think if Samuel Adams, Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were driving down the same road they would probably have a problem with this operation but again what do I know. The whole check lane thing stinks of something, not sure what but it stinks all the same.

Some minor tweaks here and there.
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:45am   #2
oahuyahoo
Barn Stall Owner #67

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $100888958

It's called violating your 4th ammendment rights. Right now I'd be in jail awaiting my time in court whereupon I'd have the job of that officer's superior. A lot of people have died protecting our freedoms and sometimes you just gotta make a stand. I have nothing against policemen, just when they get stupid and violate their postion of power.

In Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U.S. 648 (1979), the United States Supreme Court ruled that the police stopping vehicles for no reason other than to check the drivers' licenses and registrations was unconstitutional.

Deleware VS Prouse

Last edited by oahuyahoo; 05-31-2010 at 1:10am.
oahuyahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 5:01am   #3
Jbust3
Barn Stall Owner #61

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8

Went through 14 check points in 5 miles, in kabul today . took 1.5 hours. Want to stop me in the States once every few years ..... Not a problem
Old 05-31-2010, 7:30am   #4
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15

Thanked 1,610 Times in 761 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbust3 View Post
Went through 14 check points in 5 miles, in kabul today . took 1.5 hours. Want to stop me in the States once every few years ..... Not a problem
Thanks for putting it in perspective.

Oh and BTDT....Baghdad

Stay safe and Thanks for your service.
We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.( T.Roosevelt)
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:58pm   #5
Jbust3
Barn Stall Owner #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortDawg View Post
Thanks for putting it in perspective.

Oh and BTDT....Baghdad

Stay safe and Thanks for your service.
Thanks mate , If you have any friends or family here in Af that need any thing do not hesitate to ask . here are my contact details

Julian Bustamante
Director Network Rollout , Government Services
#30, 15th Street Wazir Akbar Kahn
Kabul, Afghanistan
APO AE Afghan-Wirless 09356
+ 93 700 802 502
[email protected]
Old 06-01-2010, 9:44am   #6
NEVRL8T
Barn Stall Owner #25
Activity: 0.5%

Thanked 1,217 Times in 817 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $20496850

Quote:
Thanks mate , If you have any friends or family here in Af that need any thing do not hesitate to ask . here are my contact details

Julian Bustamante
Director Network Rollout , Government Services
#30, 15th Street Wazir Akbar Kahn
Kabul, Afghanistan
APO AE Afghan-Wirless 09356
+ 93 700 802 502
[email protected]
You any kin to Murilo Bustamante?
Old 06-01-2010, 9:53am   #7
GotChrist?
Vette Barn nOOb

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $645

Driving is a privilege, not a right. Doing anything you want is not a right. They are doing their job and ensuring our safety on the roads we pay for with our taxes. I think it's all a matter of perspective, which comes from one's heart. I know mine was changed.
GotChrist? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:38am   #8
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotChrist? View Post
Driving is a privilege, not a right. Doing anything you want is not a right.
Perhaps, but protection from unreasonable searches without cause or suspicion IS one of our rights.

The US Supreme court has acknowledged the checkpoint tactic is indeed a violation of the 4th amendment, but "in the interest of public safety", decided to overlook that and allow checkpoints for the sole purpose of identifying impaired/intoxicated drivers and removing them from the road. That is the one and only reason these checkpoints became allowed in 1990.

And, as many predicted would happen, once the DUI checkpoints became accepted by the motorists, law enforcement is now using them to check for anything and everything they can. They were given an inch, and took a mile. No longer is it about safety, it is all about revenue collection.

If what Munch was told is true, that they were only checking for licenses, and not gauging his sobriety, that is blatantly unconstitutional and he has every right to complain about it.

Eleven states continue to feel checkpoint stops (for any reason) are unconstitutional and do not allow them. I am fortunate to live in one of those states.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 11:13am   #9
Jbust3
Barn Stall Owner #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVRL8T View Post
You any kin to Murilo Bustamante?
Name Bustamante is like Smith in the Hispanic community... Southern Cal is full of them .... Go the the Philippines or Spain same thing ... Nope, no relation that i know of.
Old 06-01-2010, 1:01pm   #10
oahuyahoo
Barn Stall Owner #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotChrist? View Post
They are doing their job
This is the whole point, they are not doing their job, they are blantantly violating individuals constitutional rights. You want to live in eighteenth century England again or North Korea where the authorities do just what they want?
The Following User Says Thank You to oahuyahoo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 5:20pm   #11
WKMCD
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5852

On June 9th it will be 22 years since my last drink.

..Since then, I've been hoping to get stopped in one of those checks just for a good laugh. So far no luck..They're 22 years too late.... RootBeer.
WKMCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 5:48pm   #12
NEVRL8T
Barn Stall Owner #25

Quote:
Name Bustamante is like Smith in the Hispanic community... Southern Cal is full of them .... Go the the Philippines or Spain same thing ... Nope, no relation that i know of.
I suppose you know who I am talking about. He was a helluva fighter. Great trainer and founding member of BTT.
Old 06-01-2010, 5:49pm   #13
NEVRL8T
Barn Stall Owner #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKMCD View Post
On June 9th it will be 22 years since my last drink.

..Since then, I've been hoping to get stopped in one of those checks just for a good laugh. So far no luck..They're 22 years too late.... RootBeer.
Congrats, bro!
Old 06-01-2010, 6:48pm   #14
WKMCD
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5852

Quote:
Congrats, bro!
Thanks! Just have to put together a few more days.
WKMCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 6:54pm   #15
Mr Hole
That's MR Hole To You
Barn Raising I,II
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3067

Quote:
Congrats, bro!
Mr Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 7:01pm   #16
Munch
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #00

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2041885

Quote:
Originally Posted by oahuyahoo View Post
This is the whole point, they are not doing their job, they are blantantly violating individuals constitutional rights. You want to live in eighteenth century England again or North Korea where the authorities do just what they want?
That's what I'm sayin. Sure in Kabul it's one thing where there is martial law and a war going on but there is no invading army here, just state sanctioned violations of my constitutional rights. Like Y2K said it starts with one thing and 20 years later my and your freedoms are eroded. The sad thing is that I won't make a stand because I don't want to go to jail and deal with all the hassle even though I'm in the right and this is the same attitude everyone else has so really it's my own fault and I will have no one to blame when they come knocking on my door and demand my families "papers" as they search for and confiscate my guns or whatever else they don't like me having.

Some minor tweaks here and there.
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Munch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 12:25am   #17
oahuyahoo
Barn Stall Owner #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
That's what I'm sayin. Sure in Kabul it's one thing where there is martial law and a war going on but there is no invading army here, just state sanctioned violations of my constitutional rights. Like Y2K said it starts with one thing and 20 years later my and your freedoms are eroded. The sad thing is that I won't make a stand because I don't want to go to jail and deal with all the hassle even though I'm in the right and this is the same attitude everyone else has so really it's my own fault and I will have no one to blame when they come knocking on my door and demand my families "papers" as they search for and confiscate my guns or whatever else they don't like me having.
Precisely my point and the very reason I stated many people have died protecting this very freedom.
Old 06-02-2010, 1:06am   #18
Jbust3
Barn Stall Owner #61

Quote:
Precisely my point and the very reason I stated many people have died protecting this very freedom.
Just for the sake of argument ... Lets assume the Officer at your stop said ... " we have information that a terrorist group is reported to be moving large amounts of explosives in this area"..... Are your rights still being violated ?

The Point of kabul in 2006, no check points; false scene of security. Because of this the insurgents were free to inter the city ...now we have daily bombings ( windows of my office blown in twice in this year) will i put up with a few random check points in the US to perhaps stop a drunk from needlessly killing or find a car load of ammonium nitrate .... you bet

Will I allow the usual indignity of pat downs, My baggage sifted through just to get on a plane , you bet .
Old 06-02-2010, 2:27am   #19
oahuyahoo
Barn Stall Owner #67

We are talking about the USA, the grand United States of America, not some lawless country in the Middle East. The very foundation this country is built on is its Constitution, Amendments/Bill of Rights. Without it we would be another Kabul or Baghdad. As far as I am concerned there is no argument because you are not even comparing apples to apples, you are way out in left field. For the sake of your argument if an officer approached me and said large amounts of weapons are moving about by terrorists, that's fine. First he has to have more than enough proof "Terry vs Ohio" I am a terrorist to stop me or by definition of the 4th Amendment when a motorist is stopped that motorist is being seized. Secondly unless my weapons are in plain sight he must obtain a search warrant to search my vehicle.
The Supreme Court uses in many of its decisions the basis of common good for all people. Which is why airport patdowns are legal and stopping someone to ask for his license is not. Our forefathers were smart enough to know that government left unchecked will weave its way through every crack and crevice of our existence and therefore set in place a set of checks and balances called the United States Constitution.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Quote:
Just for the sake of argument ... Lets assume the Officer at your stop said ... " we have information that a terrorist group is reported to be moving large amounts of explosives in this area"..... Are your rights still being violated ?

The Point of kabul in 2006, no check points; false scene of security. Because of this the insurgents were free to inter the city ...now we have daily bombings ( windows of my office blown in twice in this year) will i put up with a few random check points in the US to perhaps stop a drunk from needlessly killing or find a car load of ammonium nitrate .... you bet

Will I allow the usual indignity of pat downs, My baggage sifted through just to get on a plane , you bet .

Last edited by oahuyahoo; 06-02-2010 at 2:41am.
Old 06-02-2010, 3:46am   #20
Jbust3
Barn Stall Owner #61

Quote:
We are talking about the USA, the grand United States of America, not some lawless country in the Middle East. The very foundation this country is built on is its Constitution, Amendments/Bill of Rights. Without it we would be another Kabul or Baghdad. As far as I am concerned there is no argument because you are not even comparing apples to apples, you are way out in left field. For the sake of your argument if an officer approached me and said large amounts of weapons are moving about by terrorists, that's fine. First he has to have more than enough proof "Terry vs Ohio" I am a terrorist to stop me or by definition of the 4th Amendment when a motorist is stopped that motorist is being seized. Secondly unless my weapons are in plain sight he must obtain a search warrant to search my vehicle.
The Supreme Court uses in many of its decisions the basis of common good for all people. Which is why airport patdowns are legal and stopping someone to ask for his license is not. Our forefathers were smart enough to know that government left unchecked will weave its way through every crack and crevice of our existence and therefore set in place a set of checks and balances called the United States Constitution.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Point taken... I think "unreasonable" may be the debate here ... great discussion , Afghanistan is in Asia by the way

Last edited by Jbust3; 06-02-2010 at 3:48am.
Jbust3 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic