Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2020, 4:59pm   #61
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 41.7%

Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,119 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egnalf View Post
if it were me...drive through only and gloves on handling documents.
Their branch used to have a drive through, but in the infinite wisdom of the Corporation, they removed it. There was a discussion today of how long would it take to re-install the drive through, since the parking lot was designed to have it. I think it is doable in the short term, but what I think doesn't mean shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3C7NIC View Post
Is there an option 4?
If there is, I'm all ears.

Quote:
Now you want my recommendation? Hmmm..

May I repeat, follow social distancing guidelines, simple.
Want to get specific? How is a customer supposed to come into the bank, and get service from a teller who is 1.5 feet from them, while following "social distancing guidelines"?

Even if they instituted some kind of procedures where the customer folded their paperwork into a paper airplane, and tossed it to the teller, and the teller did the same with the customer's paperwork and/or cash, are you still recommending staffing the branch with those who are symptomatic, including having high fevers?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 5:11pm   #62
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,685 Times in 13,643 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

What is the source for the virus living for 3 days on surfaces? I ask because I don't believe it is true. I don't believe it's true because it is about 10th or 15th number I've heard.

All it takes is ONE lab to record a test of a live virus. Take that virus place it on plastic, wood, paper, metal and fabric. Retest in 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 days days over the evening news and share results EVERYWHERE. Until then, 1 minute or 1 month is just a bullshit number. I'm not living my life around a moving timeline.

If we are to believe what we hear, we have to SEE IT, because saying is NOT working thanks to the political bend on all of it.

I'll add that if anyone thinks the CDC and WHO are not politically driven, you're naive.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 5:12pm   #63
C3C7NIC
Barn Stall Owner #102
Activity: 16.5%

Thanked 14,247 Times in 4,360 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Their branch used to have a drive through, but in the infinite wisdom of the Corporation, they removed it. There was a discussion today of how long would it take to re-install the drive through, since the parking lot was designed to have it. I think it is doable in the short term, but what I think doesn't mean shit.

Want to get specific? How is a customer supposed to come into the bank, and get service from a teller who is 1.5 feet from them, while following "social distancing guidelines"?

Even if they instituted some kind of procedures where the customer folded their paperwork into a paper airplane, and tossed it to the teller, and the teller did the same with the customer's paperwork and/or cash, are you still recommending staffing the branch with those who are symptomatic, including having high fevers?

Look man, I am tired of trying to debate with you,

This is serious, too many people, including your wife's boss are not taking this serious. They should only be using drive through and locking the doors.... the fact someone has a fever and is going to work is beyond asinine!

As a nation we are at >30K REPORTED cases.

I need to go attend another briefing, work on a solution that you think works, God knows no nation has solved this yet, I sure as hell am not smart enough,

Just a minion in all this, hoping I can get better ASAP so I can help as many people as possible. Hopefully I get this, recover and have an immunity so I can expose myself and not worry.
C3C7NIC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C3C7NIC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 5:13pm   #64
Murray
A Real Barner
Activity: 17.3%

Thanked 11,276 Times in 4,010 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29012

Quote:

No idea why you’re being over dramatic. Are the tellers handcuffed to their window or is there room to move back?

I’ve had pizza delivered, bought gas and kitty litter all while keeping 6 ft or more away. Its actually being accomplished on our job site.It’s not that hard.
Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 5:16pm   #65
C3C7NIC
Barn Stall Owner #102
Activity: 16.5%

Thanked 14,247 Times in 4,360 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23243

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
What is the source for the virus living for 3 days on surfaces? I ask because I don't believe it is true. I don't believe it's true because it is about 10th or 15th number I've heard.

All it takes is ONE lab to record a test of a live virus. Take that virus place it on plastic, wood, paper, metal and fabric. Retest in 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 days days over the evening news and share results EVERYWHERE. Until then, 1 minute or 1 month is just a bullshit number. I'm not living my life around a moving timeline.

If we are to believe what we hear, we have to SEE IT, because saying is NOT working thanks to the political bend on all of it.

I'll add that if anyone thinks the CDC and WHO are not politically driven, you're naive.
New England Journal of Medicine a reputable source for you >

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973
C3C7NIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 5:31pm   #66
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
New England Journal of Medicine a reputable source for you >

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973
Thank you

This needs to be written for WalMart shpppers like me.

It appears that the "worst case" is 72 hours on plastic and that the curve of decline/decay is a very radical nose dive.

Any updates on the effect of UV light? I can envision a wand with a UV light that could be waved over a surface to disinfect a delivery.
Old 03-22-2020, 5:31pm   #67
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 5.0%

Thanked 8,408 Times in 4,256 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:

A SMART person could figure a way for everything you’ve just said to be done without contact. It’s not rocket science. Uber eats figured it out by just adding a “leave at door “ option.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 5:33pm   #68
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
A SMART person could figure a way for everything you’ve just said to be done without contact. It’s not rocket science. Uber eats figured it out by just adding a “leave at door “ option.
Except that you can't "leave it at the door" for a couple of days until any virus on the bag or containers has died.
Old 03-22-2020, 5:41pm   #69
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Except that you can't "leave it at the door" for a couple of days until any virus on the bag or containers has died.
That's where hand washing or sanitizer comes in.

Myself, I'm avoiding any outside prepared food for as long as I can. I figure low paid food service workers are one of the more likely groups to come to work sick because they can't afford time off, or as we know, have the virus and not be aware. As long as I have food I'll do my own food prep.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 5:47pm   #70
Mick
A Real Barner

Quote:
Look man, I am tired of trying to debate with you,
Funny, I'm not trying to debate with you, just point out that you are tremendously oversimplifying how the business world in general works. My wife's bank branch is one tiny example of what the real world is like. I make a significant amount of my money pointing out to smart people how easy it is to attempt to implement a set of rules that are so self-contradictory, that they ensure failure. This is my one an only point, that this is EXACTLY what our government is currently doing. It has nothing to do with who is taking this seriously or not, or who is "social distancing" or not. This whole discussion started from an article basically saying exactly what I am saying, which is: Our current governmental reaction is insipid.

Quote:
This is serious, too many people, including your wife's boss are not taking this serious. They should only be using drive through and locking the doors.... the fact someone has a fever and is going to work is beyond asinine!
I never said it wasn't serious, and I can assure you that my wife is taking it very seriously. The fact that you think "someone has a fever and is going to work is beyond asinine" agrees with me, and her. The current political environment DEMANDS that she staff the branch with those who have high fevers or face serious legal ramifications for not providing "essential" services is asinine, and we agree on that. But you still seem to ignore the fact that THAT IS THE CHOICE SHE IS BEING GIVEN!

This is nothing more than Prima Facia evidence of exactly what I have been saying all along: our government is ****ing this up in a big way. What they think is a "reasonable solution" has no evidence of being any kind of solution, and in fact, is unimplementable as ordered. If it was at least implementable, I could understand it as thinking "well, we have to do something", and maybe a CYA kind of a thing. But to more or less go out of their way to order something that can't be complied with is idiotic, and more likely simply a flexing of their political muscles.
Old 03-22-2020, 6:04pm   #71
Mick
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
So, someone making a large deposit should just leave a bag of cash at the door? Sounds great. Are you going to be first?

I do see your point though, but again, hindsight is 20/20. The drive through was taken out because they felt it was "impersonal", and wanted to "touch" the customer more. All the branches used to have what was called "bandit barriers" that were thick polycarbonate barriers that were essentially bulletproof between the teller and the customer. Those were taken out for the same reason. When these things were abandoned just a few years ago, no one thought about what would happen if a pandemic hit.

Not surprisingly, weeks ago, employees suggested re-installing the drive-through and bandit barriers. Corporate was OK with the concept, but guess what? The hardware to install those things all comes from, yes you guessed it, China. In other words, not implementable in the short term at this time.
Old 03-22-2020, 6:54pm   #72
Egnalf
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.0%

Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,332 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $18284

Quote:
Thank you

This needs to be written for WalMart shpppers like me.

It appears that the "worst case" is 72 hours on plastic and that the curve of decline/decay is a very radical nose dive.

Any updates on the effect of UV light? I can envision a wand with a UV light that could be waved over a surface to disinfect a delivery.
run of the mill uv lights are not intense enough to kill this thing. there are industrial lights which are said to be effective, however those would typically be installed in air handling equipment in hospitals and other industrial applications. they are not suitable for genera purpose use and can damage eyes and skin.
Egnalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 7:00pm   #73
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egnalf View Post
run of the mill uv lights are not intense enough to kill this thing. there are industrial lights which are said to be effective, however those would typically be installed in air handling equipment in hospitals and other industrial applications. they are not suitable for genera purpose use and can damage eyes and skin.
I was thinking sunlamp type light.
Old 03-22-2020, 7:18pm   #74
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 21,887 Times in 8,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5976008

Quote:
So, someone making a large deposit should just leave a bag of cash at the door? Sounds great. Are you going to be first?

I do see your point though, but again, hindsight is 20/20. The drive through was taken out because they felt it was "impersonal", and wanted to "touch" the customer more. All the branches used to have what was called "bandit barriers" that were thick polycarbonate barriers that were essentially bulletproof between the teller and the customer. Those were taken out for the same reason. When these things were abandoned just a few years ago, no one thought about what would happen if a pandemic hit.

Not surprisingly, weeks ago, employees suggested re-installing the drive-through and bandit barriers. Corporate was OK with the concept, but guess what? The hardware to install those things all comes from, yes you guessed it, China. In other words, not implementable in the short term at this time.
The bank I deal with here in PA ( KeyBank ) has implemented a drive thru only unless an appointment is made in advance. The cash deposit could be scheduled with a simple phone call. "Joe" calls and makes an appointment for drop off at 2:15PM. "Sue" ( Or "Steve") is by the door when Joe walks up. The door is unlocked, the bag is handed to the bank employee who locks the door immediately after Joe turn around. Hands washed immediately
( but what about somebody hiding outside the door? Every single bank I've been in in the past decade has more cameras than you know about. Another employee would be watching to make sure it's safe for the other employee to open the door )

For the hardware, there are multiple machine shops around that can make the hardware needed. Well, provided the power dripping governors haven't closed them
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 7:19pm   #75
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 5.0%

Thanked 8,408 Times in 4,256 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:

Noted. Funny how the world works. Take a convenience (drive thru) and say it’s impersonal and now it would be a lifesaver for your bank. I went to a local Chase bank a few weeks ago and the entire place was open floor. I sat at a booth like I was at a restaurant. I kept thinking to myself, WTF ? I’m supposed to talk business like this ? I then saw all the inclusive ads and figured out this is how millennials want to bank. So, in hindsight, I can see your issue.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 7:43pm   #76
Mick
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
The bank I deal with here in PA ( KeyBank ) has implemented a drive thru only unless an appointment is made in advance. The cash deposit could be scheduled with a simple phone call. "Joe" calls and makes an appointment for drop off at 2:15PM. "Sue" ( Or "Steve") is by the door when Joe walks up. The door is unlocked, the bag is handed to the bank employee who locks the door immediately after Joe turn around. Hands washed immediately
( but what about somebody hiding outside the door? Every single bank I've been in in the past decade has more cameras than you know about. Another employee would be watching to make sure it's safe for the other employee to open the door )

For the hardware, there are multiple machine shops around that can make the hardware needed. Well, provided the power dripping governors haven't closed them
Business bank drops, basically bags of cash that get dropped into the bank at the end of the business day, are already done without direct human contact between the person making the deposit and the bank staff. The bags are processed in the bank before it opens, and appropriate credits are made, or any discrepancies are researched. For the most part, there is no human interaction at all for business banking, as most other things are done online or by phone.

The real issue is "retail banking", primarily for the folks in our society that don't have the same financial wherewithal that most on this board do. I can, and for the most part do, nearly 100% of my banking either online, through the ATM, or on the phone. The only time I need to go into the branch is when I need access to my safe deposit box, or need to open or close a tenant security account. The latter can easily be enabled online, but my particular bank (which is different than the bank my wife works for, on purpose), does not presently allow this. I expect this might change in the near future.

Whether we like it or not, there is still a fairly sizable portion of the US population that are barely able to interact with the banking system at all, have little or no access to the internet, don't want to deal with the ATM, etc. These are the people the government is trying to "protect" by forcing the bank branches to stay open, but many of them are 70+ years old, and are the precise people that shouldn't be out and about at this time anyway.

I'm not saying I know the answer, I'm just saying that the government mandating that the 85 year old woman trying to cash her $10 check dealing with a symptomatic and feverish teller doesn't seem like the smartest thing to me. If any of yous guys have better ideas, I'm sure my wife will be all ears!
Old 03-22-2020, 7:49pm   #77
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18

Thanked 21,887 Times in 8,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5976008

Forgot to add, appointments can be made for deposit boxes too.

And yes, some folks are just "set in their ways" and refuse to use online services.
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 8:01pm   #78
Mick
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
Forgot to add, appointments can be made for deposit boxes too.
100% agreed. I would be all for that too, especially if I could make the appointment online, so I wouldn't have to wait on hold for someone to talk to at the branch to make the appointment. In fact, if the folks at the branch respected the appointment time, I would greatly prefer that, as sometimes I have to wait for X minutes to get access to my box while they help other customers!

Quote:
And yes, some folks are just "set in their ways" and refuse to use online services.
Exactly.
Old 03-22-2020, 8:39pm   #79
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,459 Times in 17,248 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Star Trek already discovered that light can kill dangerous organisms:

Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 9:08pm   #80
sublime1996525
A Real Barner

Thanked 6,663 Times in 2,985 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1008643

Utah has gone from 1 confirmed case on March 3rd to 181 today. This is starting to spread rapidly. The only reason there aren’t more cases is because we have a massive backlog of pending tests, limited resources to test, and people not wanting to be tested.
sublime1996525 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic